[TV] The What Anime Are You Watching Thread!

Finished Kill la Kill.

They really know how to build up a big moment ... or several. There were little moments I usually only see in Miyazaki films where a bunch of secondary characters on impulse together are backing up the main characters. The music cues were spot on for every big damn scene.

Top notch overall. I was turned off by the first episode or two, but the characters won me over and it turned out to be a great series.

SO much to love about that show, great designs, great characters, it's so good my super ego is at almost constant war with my id on if I'd be down for a sequel series.

On the topic of Trigger, anyone seen "When supernatural battles become common place" ? Part of me wants to trust in Trigger, but the other part of me is kind of sick of stories about people with super powers who don't fight crime. And the reason "Well there's no super villains to fight" always sounded dumb to me, because my damned essential Spider-man comic says other wise! FIGHT CRIME DAMMIT! But really I may give it a shot.

So I finaly got around to watch Hellsing Ultimate. I remember watching to episode 10 of the OVA and for some reason havent watched the last 2.
Sooooo freaking good.

I just found out that Parasyte, which I started reading in manga form during high school, has been adapted to an anime and binge-watched the 12 episodes available. It's as good as I remember it, although I think the black and white artwork disturbed me more than the animation does. I also always imagined Migi sounding a little more robotic. Still, it's a good sci-fi horror.
A friend of mine got me to watch a couple episodes tonight based on my undying love of The Thing. I'm enjoying it so far.

I've been showing Fullmetal Alchemist (the 2003 series) to my girlfriend who's never seen it and we've been blowing through it. It's great, but "the feels" drive her crazy at times. Last night we just got to the episode where:

Hughes dies and that was rough. She was about ready to quit the show. We had to watch another episode just so we didn't leave it at that.

I can't remember, is that after the Chimera episode? Because fuck that episode.
The one where Tucker turns Nina into a Chimera? Yeah, quite a bit after. That one got to her too (you know, as it does most everyone), but this was worse because we've known and grown attached to Hughes for 20-ish episodes. And his daughter at the funeral...man, they twist the knife.

Yeah, definitely. I highly recommend you guys try out FMA: Brotherhood, too. It follows the manga (including the ending) and all in all is a much better-built series.

Heh, I've discussed this before, in this own thread even I think, but I've seen Brotherhood as well and prefer the 2003 version. It's endgame has issues that Brotherhood's doesn't, true, but the majority of the series that covers the mostly shared material is done even better, IMO. It's a more focused story compared to Brotherhood's larger scale one and it works well for it.

Watched eiken, would say more but need sleep before 6 am work day. The show is bad, briming with fan service, and thank god its only 2 episodes.

fade

Staff member
I finished Kill La Kill (meh) and then I watched Noragami, which I kind of enjoyed. Of course I find out that there's no second season and one won't be coming until 2016. Bleh. Then I tried Fate/Zero after hearing all the hype. Maybe it gets better, but the first double-length episode is Boring with a capital B.

I finished Kill La Kill (meh) and then I watched Noragami, which I kind of enjoyed. Of course I find out that there's no second season and one won't be coming until 2016. Bleh. Then I tried Fate/Zero after hearing all the hype. Maybe it gets better, but the first double-length episode is Boring with a capital B.
F/Z has a lot to set up, so I think it was just the first two episodes that were an hour (if you're watching the recent remake, there's another version that came out in like '08 or something like that). The show gets better, imo, but it's a bit of a slow burn as it takes some time to introduce the main plot and characters.

GasBandit

Staff member
Coincidentally, I'm re-watching Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, and it just struck me how the death of
Kamina is probably one of the all-time big unexpected developments of TV history, right up there with Kaiser Soze's identity and Ned Stark's beheading. I mean, it's rare you see plot armor fail so spectacularly on a main character in a show not put on by Joss Whedon.

I still have to finish Kill La Kill, because I keep getting distracted by Parasyte and Gekkan Shojo Nozaki-kun. However, I can say that I loved Gekkan Shojo Nozaki-kun (Monthly Girls Nozaki-kun)! It was pretty funny and actually had me laughing at loud when they took all the usual shojo tropes and subverted them. I'm bummed that it's only 12 episodes, so I'm going to have to hunt down the manga to see how it really ends.

fade

Staff member
Okay, I stuck with Fate/Zero, and it paid dividends. The beginning of the series is very boring, and probably could use some better pacing and less infodumping. But it picks up a lot, and the second season is almost an entirely different show. My least favorite part had to be Rider's speech to Saber, which in D&D terms said that neutrals made better kings than goods, while evil sat and watched the argument. Kiritsugu is an interesting character, and his flashback was worth the weight of the rest of the series. Though, his justifications are silly. It seems like Saber misses a few very obvious counter arguments in favor of sitting back and taking it.

Three episodes into Hellsing Ultimate.

... this gets better, right? Please tell me this gets better, I bought my wife the whole series for Christmas and am obligated to watching it with her.

oh man if you are not hooked by the valentine brothers you are probably screwed my man. I still havent gotten 9-10.

i mean shit, I was hooked by alexander anderson, if the villians seem like shit and you find the main group lame, its going to be more of the same, have fun!
I watched the original anime, and despite having only 20+ minute episodes and a really dumb second half, the characters didn't seem so ridiculous and the pacing could cool it a moment for some character development. Here, everything feels like it's in a rush, and while that means getting a jam-packed 45 minutes, it comes off as paradoxically goofy and yet uninteresting to me.

I watched the original anime, and despite having only 20+ minute episodes and a really dumb second half, the characters didn't seem so ridiculous and the pacing could cool it a moment for some character development. Here, everything feels like it's in a rush, and while that means getting a jam-packed 45 minutes, it comes off as paradoxically goofy and yet uninteresting to me.
ultimate is basically 1 episode is one tankobon(vol) of the manga.

ultimate is basically 1 episode is one tankobon(vol) of the manga.
...I am not sure if that sounds more appealing or less appealing. Because I've seen shows where the episode is one, FUCKING chapter of the manga and it goes nowhere. TRANSLATE IT TO REAL TIME YOU DOUCHEBAGS!

"Flag" is a term used in Visual Novels originally to note that you've hit a certain point in someone's story or, in some cases, started their path.

Death Flag is something happening in the story that generally means the character is going to die at some point. Such as being healthy one scene and then suddenly passing out and going to the hospital, or having something really amazing happen to them and then they get incredibly sick, etc.

"Flag" is a term used in Visual Novels originally to note that you've hit a certain point in someone's story or, in some cases, started their path.

Death Flag is something happening in the story that generally means the character is going to die at some point. Such as being healthy one scene and then suddenly passing out and going to the hospital, or having something really amazing happen to them and then they get incredibly sick, etc.
Like in Attack on Titan when all the new recruits were living it up and then- COLOSSAL TITAN!

I've been showing Fullmetal Alchemist (the 2003 series) to my girlfriend who's never seen it and we've been blowing through it. It's great, but "the feels" drive her crazy at times. Last night we just got to the episode where:

Hughes dies and that was rough. She was about ready to quit the show. We had to watch another episode just so we didn't leave it at that.
That got me in both versions of the anime.

fade

Staff member
Magi

I enjoyed this one quite a bit. I need to find season 2, because Netflix only has season 1. On the one hand it's your typical shounen fight-power up-fight sequence, but it has quite a range of character personalities and good voice acting (Japanese). Of particular interest is Sinbad.

GO CLASS E! And fuck you Asano's dad, your dumb and there is no way your teaching methods would ever be legal in this universe! Like seriously, no way at all.