[TV] The What Anime Are You Watching Thread!

I was thinking something more RuPaulesque, actually.

--Patrick
Yeah, I thought so but that came to my mind first. How about this:

"Drag March, In my second life in another world I decided to finally live to my fullest and become the best Drag Queen there ever was"

This is Tatsumaki.
[...]
There is a not-insignificant section of the fanbase mourning (mostly in a tongue-in-cheek fashion) their previous belief that Tatsumaki canonically goes commando.
There is a tie-in with OPM going on right now in Overwatch that has the character of Doomfist dressed like Saitama, Soldier 76 as Satoru, and Kiriko as Tatsumaki.
But there is also a character named "Sigma"
1678509514556.png

This character can manipulate gravity and as such floats in midair, can pick people up in a kind of tornado...and also happens to be somewhat completely insane. In canon, he is a Dutch scientist who went mad playing with forces he probably wasn't supposed to meddle with, that kind of thing.
Someone posted Sigma as an alternate character for the Tatsumaki skin, thus:
1678509753705.png

The question I posed to the artist was, "Hmm...how do you say 'THROW BRICKS AT COPS' in Dutch?"
I have not yet received a response.

--Patrick

AH I'm at the middle of Patlabor,when Kanaka was written out of the show despite being one of the best characters!

I know the show's good overall, but don't tell me they couldn't have kept her character.

AH I'm at the middle of Patlabor,when Kanaka was written out of the show despite being one of the best characters!

I know the show's good overall, but don't tell me they couldn't have kept her character.
I didnt think they wrote her out, she is basically an "exchange student" and exists as a way as to show the main officers still have so much work ahead of them. the lady that replaces her is the same idea, I thought.

I didnt think they wrote her out, she is basically an "exchange student" and exists as a way as to show the main officers still have so much work ahead of them. the lady that replaces her is the same idea, I thought.
She is, but I still wish Kanuka stayed around for the full season instead of sparse appearances after.

She is, but I still wish Kanuka stayed around for the full season instead of sparse appearances after.
all I remember is late story when they are put up against that super prototype military labor, and spend a season having their faces caved in. she plays a role in helping them, unless my memory is toast, it has been years since i watched that last part.

all I remember is late story when they are put up against that super prototype military labor, and spend a season having their faces caved in. she plays a role in helping them, unless my memory is toast, it has been years since i watched that last part.
Yeah that was the second season I think, released exclusively for video.

GasBandit

Staff member
Alright, just to sum up my recommendations as to what I've been watching this season:

Watch:
  • Tomo-chan Is A Girl!
  • Revenger
  • Buddy Daddies
  • Vinland Saga S2
  • Handyman Saito In Another World
  • Campfire Cooking In Another World With My Insane Skill
  • Farming Life In Another World

Maybe Watch, Maybe Skip:
  • By The Grace Of The Gods
  • Trigun Stampede
  • Chilling In My 30s After Being Fired From The Demon King's Army
  • Eminence in Shadow
  • Urusei Yatsura
Skip:
  • The Iceblade Sorcerer Shall Rule the World
  • Ningen Fushin

GasBandit

Staff member
This is probably the most ridiculous piece of art I have ever bought. I love it.

PXL_20230327_214941434.jpg

(Even if the artist didn't quiiiite get Inuyasha's face right)

GasBandit

Staff member
In Another World With My Smartphone

Binged all 12 episodes today (it's clear they intend for there to be at least one more season, however).

Summed up, it's yet another "modern male Mary Sue gets sent to a medival magic world and ends up with a harem" anime. Kind of like Konosuba but toned down by about half.

God accidentally kills a 15 year old Japanese guy, but the deceased is such a kind and upstanding young man that God decides to grant him a new life on a new world (the "rules" forbid being brought back to life on the same world), letting him keep his knowledge and body. In addition, God cranks all his RPG attributes to the maximum level, saying "now you shouldn't be able to die, unless something really crazy happens." Then he asks the boy, "do you wish for anything else in your new life?" And the schmuck wishes to take his smartphone with him, and that it would function in the new world the same as it did in the old one.

It's a good popcorn anime, I suppose. While not as engrossing as Konosuba or some of the others of the genre, it's light and easy, and helps pass the time until the next season of whatever it is you're waiting to watch comes out.

My one substantial gripe about it is that the protagonist is utterly 1 dimensional. Aside from a mild (and trope-normal) case of closet pervertedness (and WAY less than Kazuma from Konosuba - in fact there's even what I have to believe is a direct shout-out to Konosuba where he learns magic that lets you teleport an object to your hand, and he immediately proclaims he would never use it to steal panties) and a complete obliviousness to the advances of girls, Touya is utterly and completely faultless. He is kind and generous and honorable and smart and the most powerful magic user and a really strong fighter and... basically there is never a moment at which the audience can seriously believe he is in peril or even stands a chance of not coming out ahead (and I mean way ahead) in any given situation. MARY. SUE. The guy literally saves the life of the King by the end of espisode 2 (sorry for the minor spoiler there) and is on the easiest of easy streets from then on, with little left to do but traipse around the countryside making stock anime female characters fall in love with him and accidentally get glimpses of pantsu. Is the caravan surrounded by bandits? No problem, Touya can see on his smartphone's Google Maps that there's 38 of them, and use it to target them all at once for a paralysis spell, meaning the danger is over before it even began. Is a dragon attacking the village? No problem, Touya's been made so strong and smart by God he makes short work of it, fashioning a giant wall of ice into a lens to kill it with a giant ersatz laser beam, gaining the adoration and admiration of all onlookers. Does the Duke have an 8 year old daughter? No problem, Touya will magically create a bicycle (which this medieval world has never seen before) from scratch to amuse her. Oh, and of course a gun for himself. The plans are all on the internet, of course, which his smartphone still has access to.

So, without any real threat of defeat or death, we're simply set to sit and wait for the next time one of his blushing would-be brides tries to work up the courage to confess her feelings to him, and see what comic pratfall befalls her, interrupting the attempt.
I don't know whether to be surprised it took 5 years to get season 2 of this thoroughly mid isekai... or to be disappointed it got a second season while better shows languish.

I don't know whether to be surprised it took 5 years to get season 2 of this thoroughly mid isekai... or to be disappointed it got a second season while better shows languish.
dont even get me started on series like teasing master takashi-san, where it bounced around companies from season to season for the American license...

I just want to own it for later, but its like funimation, netflicks, sentai filmworks. which means in like a decade discotech will release a complete set with no dub, because holy shit the rights miasma!

GasBandit

Staff member
Smartphone fails the bechdel test SO hard. There is literally only 1 male character, but at no point does any female character have anything to discuss other than him. I couldn't even make it halfway through S02E01. Dropped.

GasBandit

Staff member
The first 4 episodes of the next season of Kaguya are out, they are just the movie cut into pieces. They're really good.

I wonder if they will do the same with the "The Quintessential Quintuplets Movie"? Which by the way I saw in cinema last week. It was really good too.

GasBandit

Staff member
Am I the only Konosuba fan who thinks Megumin can't carry a show alone? The Megumin-specific Konosuba season is falling flat for me. It was a nice concept to visit as a movie, but nonstop chuunibyou bullshit gets stale pretty fast when there isn't a break.