[TV] The What Animation Are You Watching Thread 2!: The Sequel!

Pokemon Concierge is like Pokemon ASMR. It's such a mellow show, I watched it to help me relax and fall asleep the other night. Not really something I ever thought I'd say about Pokemon. I honestly was only interested in it because the stop-motion animation looked so beautifully crafted (and it is!). Also, I didn't realize until episode 3 that there was an English dub, but the Japanese is very calm and soothing.

Annie Awards announced (Deadline)

As the article notes, the assumption was that this year would be a two film race between The Boy and the Heron and Spider-Man: Across the Spiderverse for both the Annies and, ultimately, the Best Animated Film Oscar.

One film didn't get the memo.
1705012791145.png

Hazbin Hotel (Amazon Prime)
The first two episodes are available on the A24 app (for $7. Save your money unless you really can’t wait a week). I think my thoughts on these two episodes mirror those for the original YouTube pilot (which is actually still canon for the series): There is potential here but it needs work.

The first episode suffers greatly in the pacing. Jokes don’t hit right. And a few characters talk like they were barely handed a script and told to ad-lib through the dialog. This is especially the case for the main character Charlie who is far way too naive for someone who literally was raised in hell.

Second episode feels like it was completed well after the first episode was made as the pacing is far better and the script is much tighter. I think it’s this second episode that has gotten me invested enough in the series to continue watching. There still isn’t much for Charlie or her GF Vaggie to do so their characters feel underdeveloped for now, but there is some nice spotlights here on Angel and Alistor, as well as Angel’s employers the Vs.

I am crossing my fingers that this series will be as wonderful as its sister show Helluvaboss.

Hazbin Hotel

Yeah, Husk and Angel's duet DEFINITELY sold me, always nice to hear Keith David sing(criminally underused singing talent).
It’s growing on me. Episode 4 was more of what I’ve been wanting from the show.
It gets really good when the show diverts into more character drama. “Poison” and the duet later that you mentioned are my favorite songs of the series thus far.

Another 2 episodes of Hazbin dropped today. My only complaint is that the show isn’t taking its time with the story. It feels like things have progressed far too quickly and there are twist reveals that feel like they should come out far later in the series to get the right impact from them.
The songs these last two episodes have been the usual top notch, Broadway worthy awesome.

I keep listening to “you didn’t know” on a loop. Just be aware of very big spoilers and is NSFW.

Last edited:
Another 2 episodes of Hazbin dropped today. My only complaint is that the show isn’t taking its time with the story. It feels like things have progressed far too quickly and there are twist reveals that feel like they should come out far later in the series to get the right impact from them.
The songs these last two episodes have been the usual top notch, Broadway worthy awesome.

I keep listening to “you didn’t know” on a loop. Just be aware of very big spoilers and is NSFW.

Yeah I still love it, but it's like been FIVE months all ready?! HOW?!

GasBandit

Staff member
I am fuckin sick of Netflix/Amazon Jail breaking seasons into parts. It's bad enough when they go week by week, but to stretch a season across two literal seasons? I about dropped this show because of that shit.

Finished the original Castlevania series with my friend, STILL great as a whole, 9.9 out of ten...but that POINT is because of the dragged on Epilogue ep, god dammit, the last six minutes felt like "We gotta spend the rest of our animation budget on SOMETHING".

But still, the Varney reveal is still great after all this time.

AND I just finished Castlevania Nocturne season 1, and while it started out shakey(Richter could be SUCH a pill) my only REAL complaint...is...when the HELL is season two coming out?! WITH THAT FINALE?! HOLY CRAP!

It won't be The Boy and the Heron. The academy is notoriously harsh towards foreign animated movies and (to put it gently) most of the people who get to vote on these things only go to stuff their kids drag them to. A foreign movie hasn't won since Spirited Away in 2002 (2005 if you count Curse of the Were-Rabbit). This is a race between Nimona and Across the Spider-verse, full stop.

FYI, Wolfwalkers got ROBBED in 2020. It was BY FAR the best nomination that year.