[TV] The What Animation Are You Watching Thread 2!: The Sequel!

GasBandit

Staff member
5 too many. Harmon should've just killed the show after the McDonald's disaster. A fan base this toxic deserves nothing.
Hey, I like the show, and want more of it. It's not my fault a bunch of edgy neckbeards do stupid shit while quoting it. If obnoxious fans were reason to kill a series, 90% of shows out there would be dead after the first season. We'd never have had more than the Original Star Trek series, Dr Who would have been squashed long ago, and any and all comic-book-based properties would have been tried at the Hague.

Hey, I like the show, and want more of it. It's not my fault a bunch of edgy neckbeards do stupid shit while quoting it. If obnoxious fans were reason to kill a series, 90% of shows out there would be dead after the first season. We'd never have had more than the Original Star Trek series, Dr Who would have been squashed long ago, and any and all comic-book-based properties would have been tried at the Hague.
As you're fond of saying, apples and oranges. What killed my enjoyment of the show was the sheer number of idiots that see Rick as a role model. And the more I thought about that, the sicker of the show I got. And then finally the constant barrage of PICKLE RICK!. Ugh.

Only 5 episodes?
They might be cutting to shorter seasons to put them out more consistently, sort of like Venture Brothers did. Harmon did say that he had a new deal with the network to keep episodes cranking out.

Really though, I think it's more of a general network "tightening of the belt" as it were; despite several runaway successes over the past decade, neither Williams St. nor Cartoon Network have been able to effectively monetize most of their content. On the CN side, only Adventure Time had any kind of real push for merch (SU too, but it's all premium stuff) and on adultswim, the only show you really see merch for out in the wild is Rick and Morty. They might be doing shorter seasons to try and expand into more content instead. Then again, all research shows that after 3 seasons, streaming viewership drops off anyway so... *shrug*

They might be cutting to shorter seasons to put them out more consistently, sort of like Venture Brothers did. Harmon did say that he had a new deal with the network to keep episodes cranking out.

Really though, I think it's more of a general network "tightening of the belt" as it were; despite several runaway successes over the past decade, neither Williams St. nor Cartoon Network have been able to effectively monetize most of their content. On the CN side, only Adventure Time had any kind of real push for merch (SU too, but it's all premium stuff) and on adultswim, the only show you really see merch for out in the wild is Rick and Morty. They might be doing shorter seasons to try and expand into more content instead. Then again, all research shows that after 3 seasons, streaming viewership drops off anyway so... *shrug*
Plus it seems like they'll just flat out REFUSE to make merch for stuff, I know for a fact people were BEGGING for official OK KO merch but CN made none of it which I find INSANE as that show's look is toyetic as ALL hell, it even had an IN UNIVERSE trading card game, and NOTHING from that?! Then you got Mighty Magiswords and how they made practically NO money with the apps made for the show, PROBABLY because a free app supported only by advertisements and had NO freemium options wasn't gonna make much.

Plus it seems like they'll just flat out REFUSE to make merch for stuff, I know for a fact people were BEGGING for official OK KO merch but CN made none of it which I find INSANE as that show's look is toyetic as ALL hell, it even had an IN UNIVERSE trading card game, and NOTHING from that?! Then you got Mighty Magiswords and how they made practically NO money with the apps made for the show, PROBABLY because a free app supported only by advertisements and had NO freemium options wasn't gonna make much.
It's widely known that OKKO got the axe entirely because it's executive didn't "get it" and didn't want to be associated with the show, offering no support and seeking no deals. I'd honestly sue the network if I were Ian, if it wouldn't destroy his career in animation forever.

There's something about the animation style/movement that reminds me of Star vs. The Forces of Evil if it was directed by Ralph Bakshi.

GasBandit

Staff member
Teen Titans Go Vs Teen Titans

Well, I guess we just had to take one more giant crap on the non-Go show, huh. A show BY "Go" apologists, FOR "Go" apologists. I mean, yeah, it had a moment or two in it, but mostly it was more just "Oh come on just stop liking quality things and enjoy the stupid, stupid!"

Bleh.

Teen Titans Go Vs Teen Titans

Well, I guess we just had to take one more giant crap on the non-Go show, huh. A show BY "Go" apologists, FOR "Go" apologists. I mean, yeah, it had a moment or two in it, but mostly it was more just "Oh come on just stop liking quality things and enjoy the stupid, stupid!"

Bleh.
It's hard to believe the folks that did Teen Titan GO to the Movies! also did this turd, because GO to the Movies was actually really good.

figmentPez

Staff member
She-Ra and the Princesses of Power season 4

Holy shit. Like, this was really freaking good. I just finished and I'm not at all up to summing up all of my thoughts of this season because Horde Prime is terrifying. This series is amazing.

figmentPez

Staff member
DC Super Hero Girls (Netflix, not the Mattel web series)

I assumed I would like this one more than I did, since I loved the SBFF shorts, and Lauren Faust is amazing, and it's basically My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic except with DC heroines. Don't get me wrong, I do like the show, and I think it's really great, but it ended up not being my jam as much as I expected it would.

The pros:
- The voice acting is amazing, the animation is fantastic, I love most of the character design, and the overall production quality is top notch.
- The show is legit hilarious at times. It's kids show humor, more-so than MLP:FiM and maybe more than Fosters Home for Imaginary Friends, but it really nails the jokes, and the important part is that it puts Teen Titans Go! to absolute shame when it comes to wacky humor. Even when the girls are selfish or incompetent for the sake of comedic fuel, the plot still centers around them trying to be heroes. (Robin in TTGo is a villain.)
- This show is clearly made by DC fans, even some of the stupid jokes made me laugh more than they should, because of excellent references. Like Batgirl mocking a villainess for distraction "Did Calendar Man do you hair? Because that look is dated!"

The parts I'm conflicted about:
- Robin is an annoying little braggart who is nearly incompetent and definitely misogynistic. On one hand, this works because it's how this version of Batgirl would view Robin. On the other hand, I feel they could have been a little more subtle.
- Characterization is over-the-top, bombastic exaggeration. There's very little subtlety or even reality. It clearly isn't trying for major ongoing plot arcs or character development. This is closer to Looney Tunes than to Batman the animated series, and that's not a bad thing, but it is a thing.

The cons:
- Why did they give this show the exact same name as a bland web series from Mattel?

DC Super Hero Girls

The cons:
- Why did they give this show the exact same name as a bland web series from Mattel?
Marketing my dude, marketing. Hell, Mattel even makes the toys for THIS show to, in all their same-faced horrifying glory(the dolls, not the show's character designs which have some fucking CHARACTER to them, eat ass Mattel).

figmentPez

Staff member
I finished watching the second half of the first season of Costume Quest on Amazon Prime and it was okay.

The series continues to be a bland-ish Gravity Falls wanna-be. It's not outright bad, it just has pacing issues, and too few truly good ideas. (Also, whose idea was it to take the super colorful, glowing art of the video games and turn it into a muted color palette that never lets anything pop!?) The grand finale finally does some cool stuff, but the scripting drags everything down by not building up the scenes in an order that allows for twists to have an impact. Scenes play out like overly long drum-rolls before a lone cymbal crash.

So, I've been binging Gargoyles because it was my favourite cartoon as a kid and holy shit, the most fantastical thing about this show that mixes like all of Shakespeare's fantasy stuff with protagonists that are 1000 year old cursed monsters is that in the first five episodes a billionaire is sent to jail.

PS: Elisa's car is so lovingly rendered. I fucking miss when vehicles were hand animated in shows and not these weird CG abominations that don't match the animated characters.

Been working out way through RWBY lately. Finished Volume 3 last night.

My husband's favorites are Pyrrha and Penny, so he had a bad time.

figmentPez

Staff member
Green Eggs & Ham (Netflix)

This is not what I expected, but it's better. I had assumed this was going to be relatively simple, mostly word play about wacky hijinks while trying to get characters to try new food. It's not that. There are wacky hijinks, but the characters and world are much more complex. The narration and aesthetic of the world are very Seuss-ian, and that there are bad guys and complex characters isn't unheard of in Seuss, but complex morality wasn't what came to mind mind when I thought of Green Eggs & Ham.

Here, have some fun with the theme song and get yourself in the mood for a great cartoon:

Last edited: