The Super Dooper Canadian Thread (now with 47% more Canadian Bacon)

I think there are more escalators in Toronto's Eaton Centre (counting the 6 or so that lead to the two subway stations)
I think so. I asked my wife too. And she is in agreement. We don't know how many there are, but we are certain there are more than 22. I think the Hudson's Bay alone has 6

Last edited:
I think so. I asked my wife too. And she is in agreement. We don't know how many there are, but we are certain there are more than 22. I think the Hudson's Bay alone has 6
Oh my. I wasn't even thinking of the Bay. That store's something like six floors high, with a pair of escalators per floor. It's got at least 12.

Newfoundland is its own thing, but it got me to thinking: which provinces and territories might have FEWER than Newfoundland? Does PEI have any? Their population is really small, so does Charlottetown have any? How about the territories? And NS isn't going to have a LOT of them either. Yes some malls in Halifax, Airports, etc, but it's not going to be dramatically different I'd think. NB might be worse than NL potentially. Saskatoon alone will probably "Save" SK from having less, but maybe not. You have to remember that they only recently had over half their population be urban, and it's divided in two cities (Regina & Saskatoon) rather than like MB where it's all-in-one, and thus larger & higher buildings/malls, so MB probably doesn't have the same scarcity.

The other provinces all have large enough cities that they're "fine" on this scale. West Ed alone probably has more escalators than NL does.

Just bought pot online with a credit card from the government.

Strange times.

Yup. Same. It's bizarre but that's life now.

I thought the OCS was going to have edibles, though. Bit disappointed in that. I don't really like smoking it, that's for my wife.

A

Anonymous

Anonymous

Just bought pot online with a credit card from the government.

Strange times.
This may be of interest to you then: Will your cannabis credit card purchases be visible to U.S. border officials? (Some might, some won’t.)
U.S. law allows border officials to ban Canadians for life from their country for using marijuana in this country, even when it’s legal here. (A senior official confirmed last week that they are willing to do this in practice.)

And credit card data can be stored in the United States, where it’s an open book to U.S. authorities, who don’t need a warrant to access it if it belongs to non-Americans. (The privacy agreements of all five of the big banks warn that customers’ financial data can be stored outside Canada, and be subject to the laws of the country it’s stored in.)
If I buy, I'll be using cash.

Thanks for the heads up.

I'd likely get caught up just by the fact they ask when you enter and I wouldn't lie about it, particularly now that it's legal here. I actually, despite living in Windsor for 20 years 15 minutes from Detroit and now BC for the last 10 with it's close proximity to Washington, have only been to the states...5 maybe, 6 times in my life. Most of this those were school trips, last time being to the Detroit Institute of Art when I was 16.

I suppose work could want to send me at some point but it's never come up so far. We do hold a conference in Phoenix as of this year.

There are lots of retail options in Vancouver despite the only official one currently in the province being in Kamloops. Might have been a good idea to explore those further but being able to look on the website and then compare strains on leafly was nice.

We were hoping to get some edibles as well but they don't seem to be an option here yet either from the official guys. Still the site and purchasing was a lot smoother than I expected it to be

My little suburb is in the news today thanks to:

This is the most St. Albert thing ever. So many racist, mean, CATHOLIC AS FUCK, white folk in this city.

Complaining about kids fucking playing, that's St. Albert as fuck. I got into a fucking turf war with my neighbors because people I knew DARED to park on the streets in front of their houses. People leaving passive aggressive notes on windshields and such.

This fucking piece of shit suburb should be burned to the ground.

Fucking degenerates threatening kids. I really hope the proper people are able to determine who left that and that they are dealt with accordingly.

NS sold $660,000 in cannabis yesterday.
I've been trying to find total sales dollar values for each province but only some seem to be available. Ontario was over $230,000by 10am but I don't know how the rest of the day went. Alberta apparently hit $730,000 by 3pm but no total for the whole day. PEI did $150,000 which is pretty crazy for PEI. I can't find any more info than that.

As a government employee who regularly has to respond to those requests, I’m crying to see one done for shits and giggles.

Until you’ve lived one, you have no idea about the amount of work that goes into one :(

I've been trying to find total sales dollar values for each province but only some seem to be available. Ontario was over $230,000by 10am but I don't know how the rest of the day went. Alberta apparently hit $730,000 by 3pm but no total for the whole day. PEI did $150,000 which is pretty crazy for PEI. I can't find any more info than that.
The Alberta number there doesn't quite capture it IMO: Provinces raked in revenue on day one of cannabis sales
In Alberta, the government’s online store processed 8,300 orders as of 3:30 p.m. local time on Wednesday. That totaled about $730,000. Alberta’s physical stores are run privately. Nineteen stores opened in the province Wednesday. The province expects there to be about 250 stores within one year.
So that $730,000 is for ONLINE ONLY. All the brick-n-mortar stores are above and beyond that, but judging by the Nova Scotia numbers where there was TEN TIMES the brick-n-mortar sales compared to online... well, it may be much larger in Alberta. (Note: very probably not 10x in Alberta, because NS online sales REQUIRE you to have gotten an "online card" from the actual store first to verify age, so I'm sure that depresses the numbers online, at least for day 1).

The rest of the article also breaks it down for all the provinces reporting it.

The Alberta number there doesn't quite capture it IMO: Provinces raked in revenue on day one of cannabis sales

So that $730,000 is for ONLINE ONLY. All the brick-n-mortar stores are above and beyond that, but judging by the Nova Scotia numbers where there was TEN TIMES the brick-n-mortar sales compared to online... well, it may be much larger in Alberta. (Note: very probably not 10x in Alberta, because NS online sales REQUIRE you to have gotten an "online card" from the actual store first to verify age, so I'm sure that depresses the numbers online, at least for day 1).

The rest of the article also breaks it down for all the provinces reporting it.
That's actually the same article I got that from, but I missed that part.

I'm really curious about Ontario's numbers. With the biggest population you'd expect the sales to be the highest but most everyone I've talked to is not comfortable with the online only sales.

That's actually the same article I got that from, but I missed that part.

I'm really curious about Ontario's numbers. With the biggest population you'd expect the sales to be the highest but most everyone I've talked to is not comfortable with the online only sales.
I really don't understand why weed isn't sold at the LCBO. I guess being the obvious, sensible thing to do counted against the idea.

Or the politicians have buddies starting up weed stores. And it really wouldn't surprise me that the operation Doug Ford bought into wouldn't be ready to open up until next year and that's why is online only right now.

I really don't understand why weed isn't sold at the LCBO. I guess being the obvious, sensible thing to do counted against the idea.

Or the politicians have buddies starting up weed stores. And it really wouldn't surprise me that the operation Doug Ford bought into wouldn't be ready to open up until next year and that's why is online only right now.
Honestly feel like the Liberals could have won the provincial election and saved us from Doug Ford with a couple small changes to the cannabis regulations.

We are getting stores eventually, but not until next summer.

Our completely legal weed arrived yesterday. Canada Post delivered it on a Sunday for some reason. Dude definitely knew what it was cause after i signed for it, he was like, "enjoy!".

It may be more expensive, but my wife assures me that "this government shit is good". She elaborated: "my legs are shaking and I completely forgot I was cold until just now".

Our completely legal weed arrived yesterday. Canada Post delivered it on a Sunday for some reason. Dude definitely knew what it was cause after i signed for it, he was like, "enjoy!".

It may be more expensive, but my wife assures me that "this government shit is good". She elaborated: "my legs are shaking and I completely forgot I was cold until just now".
Maybe I would forget I was in pain lol.

Calgary voters rejected the Olympics. It feels like everyone knows that hosting the Winter games is a massive scam (for some reason the summer games are exempt), so those can only go to Authoritarian Countries where oligarchs can profit off of the taxpayer-funded construction.

Salt Lake 2026?

Calgary voters rejected the Olympics. It feels like everyone knows that hosting the Winter games is a massive scam (for some reason the summer games are exempt), so those can only go to Authoritarian Countries where oligarchs can profit off of the taxpayer-funded construction.

Salt Lake 2026?
Pretty sure hosting the summer games is ALSO a massive scam.

What was the last time the Olympics ACTUALLY increased tourism/ job rates/ quality of life for the city it was held in? Seems to me that the only buildings that ever get much use after the fact are the Olympic Villages which get converted to social housing. Nobody has got any use for a fucking velodrome.

I'm so proud of Calgary for not falling for this shit.

Ironically Salt Lake City is considered the gold standard for those. It genuinely turned a profit for the city and the vast majority (if not all) of the facilities are still used.

LA should be fine too since they have basically all the stadiums and arenas built, including the 4 billion dollar Inglewood stadium/arena complex that is 100% privately funded.