The Super Dooper Canadian Thread (now with 47% more Canadian Bacon)

American police want to be exempt from Canadian law when operating within Canada (involving border protection). This is wholly and completely unnacceptable and completely fucking insane to me.

If it's enacted, it won't end well. It just won't.

A U.S. agent who, for instance, shot and killed a Canadian while on Canadian soil would not be subject to a Canadian court.
Can you imagine if I did that on American soil?

It literally makes me livid, flush with rage to think that there's a very real possibility of this abomination happening.

I am very hopeful this doesn't happen, I agree it is ludicrous. There seems to a be a strange air of reluctant acceptance in the circles I travel in, though. Many of my friends and family members profess, "How dare those arrogant Americans request this... But it will go through nonetheless, there's no hope." I imagine they will not be writing to or calling MPs, because that bare minimum effort sounds a lot like work.

I even read one article that talked about the issue like it was already over and decided, and I was pretty angry, and then when I found out it was still just being considered, I was less angry and then angry at the journalist who wrote a piece either without research or just to rouse ire. Or both.

Anyway.

Argh. I hope it's not allowed.

You're telling me, can you imagine the furor if I strolled into Washington state and arrested an American citizen for some dumb obscure Canadian law?
Without filing the appropriate paperwork and being accompanied by an Fed, a Marshal, or at LEAST a local smokey? Oh yeah, tables would flip over that.

Christ, I hate how arrogant this nation can be....

I'm trying to find more information on this border deal: Chiefly, if the public has a voice in it whatsoever, and where I send my letter to if we do.

Interesting, CP not paying for the cleanup of the town in Quebec: CP Rail refuses to pay for Lac-Mégantic cleanup

The reason they're not paying: they weren't the ones who crashed a train. The Quebec government is trying to get them to pay because they WERE one of the operators on the train, prior to the crash. They took the train to somewhere, then handed it off to the company that ultimately crashed it.

I think this is BS. I know that the Quebec government wants to get money out of those responsible for the crash, but with the primary company (MM&A) filing for bankruptcy, they can't get their money out of them, so they're going after anybody who's ever been associated with it. But CP didn't crash a train. They're being pursued because the crash did not happen to them. That's like driving a truck somewhere, then another driver takes over, crashes, and they come to you and say you have to pay for the damages. Ask if the truck (train) was OK beforehand at time of hand-off, OK, but trying to charge them fees later? I call Bull.

Then the cops have to follow Sean Connerys advice, if they want to bring a swan to the fight, you bring a wolverine.

Our highway speeds are generally lower than Germany because our (6-7 months of the year) weather is generally much God damn worse.

However, yeah, much of that video is right.

Police don't have any power over speed limits. The RCMP/OPP/Muni police service does not set speed limits, your local politicians do.

Last edited:
Germany is at the same latitude as much of populated Canada, and has as bad a winter as many parts of Canada.
In my neck of the woods, Germany's winter is about (on average) 10 degrees warmer. Germany is also half the square mileage of Alberta. Alberta has a far greater variance in temperature than Germany, with our winters being colder and our summers being about the same. It really savages our roads (summer is spent trying to get them in working order again for each winter that fucks them up). Our highway speeds are lower and rightfully so. Black ice is vicious stuff.

Our highway speeds are generally lower than Germany because our (6-7 months of the year) weather is generally much God damn worse.

However, yeah, much of that video is right.

Police don't have any power over speed limits. The RCMP/OPP/Muni police service does not set speed limits, your local politicians do.

I just wanted to chime in that speed limits are also determined by the road design itself. Taking into account average cars with average drivers things like braking distances, visibility over hills and around corners all play a role in the maximum safe speed.

I just wanted to chime in that speed limits are also determined by the road design itself. Taking into account average cars with average drivers things like braking distances, visibility over hills and around corners all play a role in the maximum safe speed.
Well that's generally true anywhere.

Repost from the whine like a baby thread because it's absolutely entirely a Canadian concern.

So, Lays is doing that whole 4 flavour contest thing in Canada right now. I like potato chips. They are my biggest junk food weakness. I pretty much try to try a new flavour or brand every time I'm in the grocery store (to the point where I'm starved for new varieties and I sometimes end up importing different flavours from other parts of the country...yeah I've done that before) so I jumped at the chance to try a new batch of flavours. The flavours are Maple Syrup, Loaded Perogi, Creamy Garlic Cesar and Grilled Cheese Sandwich and Ketchup.

I'm going to describe the taste of some of these using as gentle of language as I can possibly muster.

Maple Syrup - Not good, but not terrible either. I would never buy these again, but they weren't gag reflex testers (that comes later). Never been a fan of artificial maple syrup flavour.

Loaded Perogi - Ever had loaded baked potato Ruffles? Same thing. They're as generic a chip flavour as Lays could possibly come up with.

Creamy Garlic Cesar - Probably the best flavour of the bunch but comes on way strong. One of those chips flavours that starts out good but wears it's welcome out very quickly. I like it, but it's still not anywhere near as good as a bag of any other regular flavour of chips.

Grilled Cheese and Ketchup - If there is a hell specifically designed for the creator of this monstrosity, it would still be too light a punishment for how terrible this flavour is. Its taste is somewhere between the vomit you get when you spend a night eating jalapeno poppers and drinking tequila and the taste of rotten milk. The very fact that it invokes the name of ketchup chips (one of the best flavours of chip ever) in it's name is a crime not only against snack foods, but humanity in general. These are the worst things I've ever tasted in the last decade of my life. I am that certain about how bad they taste. If you were to serve a bag of these to starving children in Africa...well, they'd probably eat them because they're full of calories and such but they wouldn't be happy about it, I assure you. Fuck Grilled Cheese and Ketchup flavoured Lays and fuck Lays for releasing this fucking abomination on my country. They had to know they tasted bad. SOMEONE HAD TO HAVE TRIED ONE.

Not all, some eastern seaboard folks have access to Heinz Ketchup flavoured Herr chips.

They're not as tasty as our store brands (which usually have the best tasting ketchup chips for some reason) and they're...softer, I guess is the way to describe it but they're still pretty good.

Say hwhat? Americans don't have universal access to Ketchup chips. Well that settles it. Turns out they are a backwards and barbarous nation after all.

Confession: Sometimes I feel like a bad Canadian because I dislike/am neutral towards most of the traditional Canadian foods.

Confession: Sometimes I feel like a bad Canadian because I dislike/am neutral towards most of the traditional Canadian foods.
What is traditional Canadian food? Our culture isn't old enough to have come up with much on it's own and unlike the states, we don't claim ownership over stuff that was invented elsewhere (yeah, I said it, eat it).

There's stuff like bannock (and if you don't like bannock, you're a bad person) but even that is European in origin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_cuisine

Actually, looking down the list, most of this is good stuff. You might just be a bad Canadian.