The Super Dooper Canadian Thread (now with 47% more Canadian Bacon)

That got cut long ago.

Nah, they cut most arts funding. That's just going to clinch that arts funding only leads to terrible filth that the Canadian citizens must be shielded from, Papa Harper demands.

Nah, they cut most arts funding. That's just going to clinch that arts funding only leads to terrible filth that the Canadian citizens must be shielded from, Papa Harper demands.

What Harper is really wondering is how his private art commissions keep getting leaked to the public... ;)

Maybe it's more that "why are Canadians as a whole paying for art, if they like it or not?" If somebody likes it, they buy it. If they don't, they don't. Don't make everybody be a part of "buying" it. Waste of money IMO. Not saying it's a waste to buy art as a whole (it's not), but not something governments should be spending money on.

I seem to recall, once upon a time, that Canada put a fair amount of money into the arts in order to try and develop (and define) Canadian culture that was distinct from that of the USA. Such funding supported bands like the Bare Naked Ladies, for instance. As always, something like this boils down to the perspective you take on public arts: Is it for general encouragement of cultural exploration (and thus you accept the bad with the good) or do you focus on the specific artworks you are partially paying for. Neither perspective is wrong, inherently, but they are clearly disparate viewpoints of public-supported art.

Maybe it's more that "why are Canadians as a whole paying for art, if they like it or not?" If somebody likes it, they buy it. If they don't, they don't. Don't make everybody be a part of "buying" it. Waste of money IMO. Not saying it's a waste to buy art as a whole (it's not), but not something governments should be spending money on.
Why are we paying for war, whether we like it or not? Or the oil pipeline? Why are we paying for healthcare whether we like it or not? Same argument can be made to virtually everything taxes go towards, and each area is going to mean more to some people than to others.

But what you, and Mr Harper, are missing is that arts is a BUSINESS, and in Canada, arts actually bring in a lot of revenue (For example, just about every American animated show on TV, if it's not animated in South Korea, is animated here, thanks to tax write-offs). Take those away, it will hurt an entire industry. Not to mention the films and TV shows shot in Vancouver and Toronto.

Take that to the smaller scale, and yeah you've got independent freelance sculptors and painters, graphic designers, etc, who are able to make ends meet thanks to government funding. How's that ANY different, tell me, than virtually anybody else who owns their own business getting to make write offs? Except of course that they get paid less for their work and are more often completely screwed by their contractors?

But if you're talking about government actually contracting freelance, that is a bit different. Still more important than you might realize.

But what you, and Mr Harper, are missing is that arts is a BUSINESS, and in Canada, arts actually bring in a lot of revenue (For example, just about every American animated show on TV, if it's not animated in South Korea, is animated here, thanks to tax write-offs). Take those away, it will hurt an entire industry. Not to mention the films and TV shows shot in Vancouver and Toronto.
They shouldn't. Just as virtually any other business shouldn't either. I'm sure that somebody could probably make a case as to why it's beneficial to subsidize some businesses for the good of all, but even that isn't a good enough reason. Government should be involved in certain areas because it's essential for them to be involved, not because it would be beneficial for them to be involved. That's the difference in my eyes.

Now with many industries, we (and other nations) have painted ourselves into a corner. If one nation gives subsidies, then almost all are "forced" to in order to compete. If none gave subsidies, it would all be a level playing field still. But even that is not a good enough reason IMO. If an industry can't survive without government handouts, then why are we hurting ourselves by supporting it?
Take that to the smaller scale, and yeah you've got independent freelance sculptors and painters, graphic designers, etc, who are able to make ends meet thanks to government funding. How's that ANY different, tell me, than virtually anybody else who owns their own business getting to make write offs? Except of course that they get paid less for their work and are more often completely screwed by their contractors?
Because one is lowering taxes, and the other is a hand-out. I think subsidies of ALL kinds are a load of crap. I'm not singling out the art industry.

And I'd say if you want to continue, we do have a politics forum. I'm more OK arguing there than here, which is more lighthearted.

wait wait wait...

There's politics in canada?

:eww:
We're an anarcho-syndicalist commune. We take it in turns to act as a sort of executive officer for the week. But all the decisions of that officer have to be ratified at a special biweekly meeting by a simple majority in the case of purely internal affairs, but by a two-thirds majority in the case of more serious matters

They shouldn't. Just as virtually any other business shouldn't either. I'm sure that somebody could probably make a case as to why it's beneficial to subsidize some businesses for the good of all, but even that isn't a good enough reason. Government should be involved in certain areas because it's essential for them to be involved, not because it would be beneficial for them to be involved. That's the difference in my eyes.

Now with many industries, we (and other nations) have painted ourselves into a corner. If one nation gives subsidies, then almost all are "forced" to in order to compete. If none gave subsidies, it would all be a level playing field still. But even that is not a good enough reason IMO. If an industry can't survive without government handouts, then why are we hurting ourselves by supporting it?

Because one is lowering taxes, and the other is a hand-out. I think subsidies of ALL kinds are a load of crap. I'm not singling out the art industry.

And I'd say if you want to continue, we do have a politics forum. I'm more OK arguing there than here, which is more lighthearted.
Enh, I don't really feel like arguing the point. I'm really only bothered when people group arts alone as it's own seperate thing that is somehow lesser than and beneath other forms of business. Other than that, while I may disagree, the issues not as important to me. And really I don't completely disagree, in many cases the only reason this subsidizing exists is because it keeps it here rather than elsewhere.
And you're right, this is not the thread for political arguments. This is the thread for celebrating Canada (see HCGLNS' post above).

So with that in mind, how's everyone's Victoria Day weekend? I don't really have any plans for it unfortunately. Going to be working through it. But hopefully I can find some time to sit out on the balcony with a beer or at least go for a walk. The weather in Toronto this weekend looks to be amazing.

I'm getting drunk with my parents and the cast of my mom's community funded original opera project. So go Canada!

Oh! The transgender woman. I did read about that, but somehow I completely missed that it was taking place in Canada. I thought that kind of hooplah was strictly American.

Glad to know they finally came to their senses.

S

SeraRelm

Your country is viewed as subpar based solely on a combination of geographical location and minor, superficial differences!

/Sick burn.

So Jenna didn`t win, but that was expected. This was her first pageant. But she take home a share of the prize for Miss Congeniality. Only in Canada could there be a 4 way tie for that title.

Sahar Biniaz won the title of Miss Universe Canada 2012, you may remember her from such roles as Kali in Sanctuary or Hawkgirl in Smallville.

And you read that in Troy McClures voice.

This movie just popped into my head again. If you guys haven't seen it you really aught to. It's a favourite of mine, though it has been ages since I saw it.
It's based on the "Black Devils" The WW2 unit made up of Canadians and Americans that basically amounts to the world's first special forces team.
It takes some liberties with history, most amusingly turning the Americans from exceptional soldiers who were specially selected just as the Canadians were, into scoundrels cleared out of military prisons.

Well that was some excellent reporting by the Toronto Star then. :Leyla:
Also, first time I've actually seen the National tartan in colour. The artice I read only had a black and white photo.
(Yes, it was an ACTUAL paper and ink newspaper. They still make those. )