The random pictures of evilmike

Not the Regular Osprey

It's not unusual to see an osprey perched on a dead palm tree across the street. This morning however, as I was heading out, I glanced over and realized that it wasn't the usual bird. Now,I don't have any special skill to tell one osprey from another. On the other hand, I am quite able to tell the difference between an osprey and a bald eagle.

eagle 2021-02-06-01.jpg

Still Not the Regular Osprey

Taken a few days after the first -- now with better light:
eagle 2021-02-11-02.jpg

Ultimately, the eagle moved on, and an opportunistic starling claimed the perch:
an opportunistic starling.jpg

A busy day

I spent part of the afternoon taking pictures of the jets performing at a nearby airshow, then went off to get a picture of the day's SpaceX launch, and somehow still managed to get a bird picture too.
starlink l26.jpg

great blue heron on pier 2021-05-15.jpg

blue angels 2021-05-15-01.jpg

Today, I stopped by a beach access and walked over to "Peacock Beach" to see the launch. I didn't have any luck with the rocket, as the launch was scrubbed due to an errant airplane. Fortunately, I did have some luck finding a few of the beach's namesakes. They weren't actually on the beach, but nearby. In the space of 15 minutes, I was able to find 3 and heard several others.

Here is 1 of them resting in the shade:
peacock near the beack 2021-06-29-01.jpg

I was only a couple of miles into the day's ride when I started thinking "even though there are suburban neighborhoods on both sides of the road, I usually have pretty good luck right here" and there, as if on cue, was a red shouldered hawk, ready for its closeup.

a reliable hawk.jpg