I haven't been keeping up with the details...which state did you end up in? Each one has its own digsafe company, and I bet I can point you to where you can monitor the progress of that, at least :)

I'm with Bananahands. Just mention that she said she'd pay you back, and you were wondering about it. You could even couch it in a less confrontational way, something like "I know you said you'd pay me back when we got the tickets, and I was wondering if you were going to do it with cash, paypal, whatever"
Conversely, slam on her front door in the middle of the night while screaming "WHERE'S MY MONEY?!"

@LittleKagsin : another option is not mentioning it, keeping it bottled up, see it slowly but surely eat away at you and your relationship as you sour on her, get frustrated, and finally end up not really seeing each other anymore for a long time, then trying to bring it up. It's a tried and true method of getting your money back breaking up a friendship and never seeing a cent.

I mean, of course you bring it up. A first time, politely, and perhaps with some sort of "reason" or "excuse" (even though this isn't really needed - "hey, you still owe me $500" is plenty of reason to ask for it back). No need to be aggressive as all hell the first time you ask, chances are she either forgot, thought she'd already paid it back, or thought you weren't really bothered.

I honestly feel so stupid writing this out, but I want opinions.

So. My best friend owes me money...like I paid for her plane ticket for the cruise we went on last month, this isn’t some small amount she owes me - it was easier to book the tickets on one credit card instead of trying book on two and still sit by each other, etc etc, when we booked she expressly told me she’d pay me back later.

She hasn’t. She hasn’t even mentioned it. She’s gone to multiple concerts, gotten piercings and bought other things since then and I’m getting more and more upset.

I don’t feel like I can bring it up out of the blue, since her and I haven’t talked much since she moved a few weeks ago and I just??? I dunno, if you owed a close friend money and they came to you to collect, how would you feel? Am I bad friend? Help me.
Twice in my life, I’ve lent a not insignificant sum of money (thousands) to a very good friend. One person died before paying me back, the other person had cancer and so for all I know is also dead by now. In both cases, I received partial payment for the money I lent but to date have received nowhere near the full amount for either, and it is almost a guarantee I never will.

So all I’m saying (to everybody!) is. If you are contemplating lending money to a friend, ask yourself whether or not their friendship is worth the amount you are lending, because it is extremely likely you will receive only one (friendship OR payment, and you don’t get to pick which), but also a strong further possibility that you will be left without both.

As for me, I no longer lend. Not because I don’t want to, but because I know what will happen. Now it is either a gift...or not at all.

—Patrick

When I've lent a friend money, and it isn't a small amount (>$500 at this stage of my life), I draft a GA-compliant promissory note with enforcement terms we both agree on. Their willingness to sign it pretty much means they're the type of person that would pay me back in the first place. If they got offended or refused (neither has happened) that tells me everything I need to know.

This past fall, I had to borrow $500 from a friend. We made an agreement that every time I got paid (every 2 weeks), I'd pay him $100, so that in 10 weeks, he'd be paid up.

While I wound up having a few tight weeks because of it, I kept my end of the deal. I paid him back in full before Christmas. We're still tight, because we were clear about how it was going to work before any money changed hands, and we both lived up to it.

Your friend should respect you enough to at least try and figure out a payment plan with you.

If you haven't even asked yet, I would just ask and not worry about her getting mad. It's when you have to keep asking that it becomes a problem. I forget things constantly, and I'm always grateful when people ask me about them before I forget for so long it becomes awkward (for me) to bring it up.

I know my hesitation from bringing up her owing me money is that I know how bad she's doing financially right now. She is strapped for cash, which makes me feel like a shitty friend that I want to collect, but then I see her buy tickets to concerts and other things and I get annoyed. That $40 could've gone to me, you know? That's why I haven't straight up asked. I just didn't think this would be a problem? Like, I thought she would just pay me back cause she's my best friend?

Anyway, I'll talk to her about it. Sighs for days.

She probably can’t look at you or even hear your name without associating the debt, so go easy, if you’re able. Hopefully just sighs for hours, then.

—Patrick

I honestly wouldn't. If he's in a situation where he can't spend 20k that he needs now, he could easily be in one down the line.
It is launching a second side business. He's dropping nearly $100,000. But it has been around a decade since we started planning on this venture.

Well, I'm going random here. Phone message I just received that made me laugh.

"Hello, this is a call warning you that you are under investigation..."

Oh man, I wonder what for.

"and a lawsuit has been filed against you."

Investigation and a lawsuit. Got Damn, I am in trouble.

"If you do not respond to this message by calling 999-999-9999 (or whatever) a warrant will be issued for your arrest."

Fuck, not only am I under investigation, but a warrant is about to be issued for my arrest and I'm being sued. This is one all encompassing message.

figmentPez

Staff member

"If you do not respond to this message by calling 999-999-9999 (or whatever) a warrant will be issued for your arrest."

Fuck, not only am I under investigation, but a warrant is about to be issued for my arrest and I'm being sued. This is one all encompassing message.
Hey, I bet if you call they can help you consolidate your credit, too!

I know my hesitation from bringing up her owing me money is that I know how bad she's doing financially right now. She is strapped for cash, which makes me feel like a shitty friend that I want to collect, but then I see her buy tickets to concerts and other things and I get annoyed. That $40 could've gone to me, you know? That's why I haven't straight up asked. I just didn't think this would be a problem? Like, I thought she would just pay me back cause she's my best friend?

Anyway, I'll talk to her about it. Sighs for days.
If money's tight, she shouldn't be going to concerts and what not, especially when she owes you a stack.

I got a call the other day from some auto-dialer so I picked up and answered as if they had called into a local rock station.

*ring* "You're calling WPQST FM, the Pequest Valley's #1 rock station, you're on the air!" *electronic stuttered beep, call hangs up*

The fuck you do man? Sell a joint to an American cop?

We had a departmental lunch yesterday to welcome a new editor to our team. It was an informal affair, with lots of chatting about our hobbies and interests. I may have mentioned before that our department's intern is a tall blonde Swedish girl who likes video games. Well, it turns out she doesn't just like video games, she's actually a tall blonde Swedish girl who likes all geek culture. She gave her in-depth thoughts and analysis of what the MCU and DCEU have done right and wrong so far, she squealed with genuine delight when we told her we sometimes get cases about comic books and comic book movies, she listed a bunch of things she was disappointed the Lord of the Rings movies didn't have from the books, and her favorite Star Wars game is Shadows of the Empire.

Afterwards, I said out loud, without thinking, "Jesus Christ, it's like I made you in a computer."

Now, if you know the context of that quote, that is NOT an appropriate thing to say to the intern!!! And, of course, she's probably geeky enough to know the context of that quote.

So, yeah, I've officially become that kind of supervisor at work.