Export thread

The Quadrennial Summer Sporting Festival Thread

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

So titled because Olympic officials have even threatened the POPE about using "official" Olympic phrases.

But anyway, the scoreboard as of this moment. WVU: 1, the entire rest of the world: 0 as Ginny Thrasher takes the first gold of these games in 10m air rifle. :D

Dave

Dave

NBC and the US coverage has forever made it so that I won't watch or care about the Olympics.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Dave

Dave

Okay I take it all back. I found a site that has BBC streams and nearly all the events. It's incredible. I just watched women's epee and it was a great match! I'm in again.

Frank

Frank

CBC does incredible coverage of the Olympics.

I just outright refuse to watch these games. I'm done until the Olympics is less scummy.

GasBandit

GasBandit

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Okay I take it all back. I found a site that has BBC streams and nearly all the events. It's incredible. I just watched women's epee and it was a great match! I'm in again.
Tuned in to the BBC One stream in time for men's foil and some judo. You'd wait forever on NBC to see any of that, if you ever did.

Dei

Dei

US woman are dominant in gymnastics this year. Qualifying round wasn't even close.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Tuned in to the BBC One stream in time for men's foil and some judo. You'd wait forever on NBC to see any of that, if you ever did.
But by God, they will show every minute of a damn 4 hour road race.

Dei

Dei

You can just stream any currently live event from their website, you just have to have a cable subscription.

Covar

Covar

Not enough ice.

Dei

Dei

OH, I also found that if you use the phone/tablet app, you can watch events with NO COMMENTARY. <3

blotsfan

blotsfan

Not enough ice.
Yeah I enjoy watching summer olympic events, but nothing gets me excited the way Olympic hockey does (fuck you sidney crosby).

bhamv3

bhamv3

So, uh, the Brazilian Olympic soccer team is surprisingly bad.

Frank

Frank

Man, the life threatening injuries at these Olympics are pretty nuts this year.

How the hell is the summer Olympics outdoing the vastly more dangerous sports of the winter?

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

Au revoir, Eugenie. :(

Dave

Dave

I had no idea what you meant so I Googled that name. I got this instead.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064494/

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Au revoir, Eugenie. :(
Still doubles and the Williams are already gone!

GasBandit

GasBandit

[DOUBLEPOST=1470695343,1470695179][/DOUBLEPOST]It just occurred to me... This year's summer olympics are in the southern hemisphere.. in the deepest dead of the brazilian winter.

GasBandit

GasBandit

GasBandit

GasBandit

Abandoned olympic venues from around the world:

Dave

Dave

I still say they should hold the Olympics in the same place every year. All of the money that goes into the stadiums and stuff that just lay fallow could be better spent in renovations and infrastructure.

But there's no bribe money in that even though it makes sense.

For example, the College World Series is held in Omaha every year. So there's the Road to Omaha and community anticipation. So much easier.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Or just rotate among places that can handle it. There might be some abandoned stuff in Atlanta, but the city turned a profit from hosting them (plus the money they got from additional use of Olympic structures)

GasBandit

GasBandit

Or just rotate among places that can handle it. There might be some abandoned stuff in Atlanta, but the city turned a profit from hosting them (plus the money they got from additional use of Olympic structures)
Yeah, the Atlanta section of that imgur post was really reaching, Atlanta's really done well at repurposing the olympic infrastructure and many of the competition venues are now operating for recreational use.

A quote from the thread of that imgur album: "There are less than 12 countries that can actually adequately handle all aspects required for hosting the olympics, and Brazil is not one of them."

But like Dave said, there's bribe money at stake.

blotsfan

blotsfan

America is generally good at hosting these events because we're so sports-crazy that most big cities already have a ton of infrastructure.

Although our first choice in 2024 was Boston so we aren't always smart about which cities to choose. Thankfully they changed their mind to LA

GasBandit

GasBandit

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Yeah, the Atlanta section of that imgur post was really reaching, Atlanta's really done well at repurposing the olympic infrastructure and many of the competition venues are now operating for recreational use.

A quote from the thread of that imgur album: "There are less than 12 countries that can actually adequately handle all aspects required for hosting the olympics, and Brazil is not one of them."

But like Dave said, there's bribe money at stake.
Atlanta loses points for throwing away a perfectly good stadium after barely 20 years. And for being, you know, Atlanta. :p

West Ham will get many more decades of service out of London's Olympic Stadium.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Atlanta loses points for throwing away a perfectly good stadium after barely 20 years. And for being, you know, Atlanta. :p

I wish Texas could say the same for the Astrodome.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

I wish Texas could say the same for the Astrodome.
Texas will pay $30 million for a stadium they can't even use. Or did they fix that HS stadium?

blotsfan

blotsfan

Georgia State football will be playing in it, so it will still have some use.

bhamv3

bhamv3

After that gymnast with bonitis, I'm pretty sure having safety precautions is probably a good idea. You never know when something might go horribly wrong.

Bubble181

Bubble181

After that gymnast with bonitis, I'm pretty sure having safety precautions is probably a good idea. You never know when something might go horribly wrong.
This was also the official response. Life guards aren't mandated by the Olympics ,but by local regulations. Still, it's happened before that a swimmer hit his head on the side of the pool and lost consciousness.
And hey, I wouldn't mind being paid to watch the Olympics from the front row :)

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

And hey, I wouldn't mind being paid to watch the Olympics from the front row :)
Well, I did get paid to watch the World Series. I could not afford a ticket, so I sold beer.

GasBandit

GasBandit

GasBandit

GasBandit

When you forget you're not at an NBA game.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Covar

Covar

GasBandit

GasBandit

Now you can say "Psssht, I could do that!" about the olympics and not be shitting anybody.

http://www.sbnation.com/2016/8/9/12411672/2016-olympics-ukraine-mens-gymnastics-controversy

How's that "no gifs of the olympics" thing going, eh IOC? Ya filthy degenerate corrupt shitlizards.

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

Still doubles and the Williams are already gone!
Imagine Fez was French. Je suis au revoir.

BErt

Always said I wanted a swimmer's body, and now...success
image.jpeg

GasBandit

GasBandit

Heck, I wish I had that guy's body.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I'll see if I can work out an introduction.

strawman

strawman

You have Shego on speed dial, right? I expect she could arrange this for you.

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

Always said I wanted a swimmer's body, and now...success
View attachment 21811
Hey! Why did no one tell @bhamv3's competing?

(It's the goggles)

GasBandit

GasBandit

Bubble181

Bubble181

Man, I know it's only the first quarter and things'll get rectified, but the USA trailing Australia by 8 points in basketball's just weird.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Australia is the 2nd best team in the Olympics IMO so we'll see.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Australia is the 2nd best team in the Olympics IMO so we'll see.
I don't know, but it's definitely a more balanced match than I was expecting when I turned it on. Though the USA is still the better team, honestly.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

blotsfan

blotsfan

What makes this close game more awkward is when you remember Ben Simmons and Dante Exum aren't even playing for Australia.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Annnnd done. Shame for Australia, really; pretty close to a stunt, which it would've been to win from the USA.

blotsfan

blotsfan

I got a feeling we're gonna play them again.

Dei

Dei

Simone Biles is so beast. I love her.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Simone Biles is so beast. I love her.
Canada came 5th! That's like 3rd best in the world when you don't look at the beasts.

Dei

Dei

US would have swept the podium if we were allowed to have 3. :'([DOUBLEPOST=1470951190,1470951051][/DOUBLEPOST]Gymnastics podium, women's all around
gymnastics.png

Simone beat Aly by 2 points, and Aly beat Aliya by a point and a half.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Imagine if you could field multiple basketball teams.

Dei

Dei

Imagine if you could field multiple basketball teams.
Well, that's a bad example. It would be more like, if there were medals for free throw competition, or 1v1 pickup. :p The U.S. only got one medal in the team competition.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Well, that's a bad example. It would be more like, if there were medals for free throw competition, or 1v1 pickup. :p The U.S. only got one medal in the team competition.
Which is my argument for why while what Michael Phelps has done was great, all this "best olympian ever" talk is wrong.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Which is my argument for why while what Michael Phelps has done was great, all this "best olympian ever" talk is wrong.
Agreed. That's why I think Clara Hughes is the greatest Olympian.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Agreed. That's why I think Clara Hughes is the greatest Olympian.
I personally think Hephaestos is the greatest Olympian.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Yay! Fiji!!!!!

GasBandit

GasBandit

Bubble181

Bubble181

GasBandit

GasBandit

More like springboard and floor padding technology, 1950s vs 2010s, amirite?

Denbrought

Denbrought

Bubble181

Bubble181

More like springboard and floor padding technology, 1950s vs 2010s, amirite?
Hardly. A bit, sure, but the average gymnast has gone down from 1m61 to 1m49 in that time, and got 5 kilos lighter. Despite raising the minimum age, the average age has also come down. Smaller -> shorter radius to turn - weight closer to center of gravity - faster rotations possible - more loop-de-loops.

BErt

This poor guy thinking he was Al Michaels at The Miracle on Ice...

BErt

Everybody should know the incredibly stupid story of the incredibly stupid 1904 Olympic Marathon. Stupid.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Yay swimming!

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Holy Knockouts Batman! Sweden has shocked the world! USA women soccer out in the quarter finals on penalties!

Frank

Frank

Best part of the Olympics this year:

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Trampoline!

PatrThom

PatrThom

Yay swimming!
bubblicious.jpg

Ehhhhhh....no.

--Patrick

Celt Z

Celt Z

"Smells like farts".... that is some ace reporting right there.

Sadly, probably accurate. :eww:

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

High sulfur content... stay classy Beth.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Ledecky could have been out of the pool, showered, and on the podium before the last swimmer had touched.

Sent from my Nextbook

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

jwhouk

jwhouk

Okay, I don't think that's "cowardly" as much as it is "not paying attention."

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Okay, I don't think that's "cowardly" as much as it is "not paying attention."
I think you're thinking of the wrong team. That was Sweden. The GIF is Australia.

jwhouk

jwhouk

Gotcha. Still funny.

Sent from my Nextbook

blotsfan

blotsfan

Ledecky could have been out of the pool, showered, and on the podium before the last swimmer had touched.

Sent from my Nextbook

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

History made by American Kim Rhode, who became the first person to medal in six consecutive Olympics and on five separate continents.

Frank

Frank

Stay classy USA, shitting on one of your guys because he wore a Canada hat while cheering on his Canadian wife.

Tress

Tress

Stay classy USA, shitting on one of your guys because he wore a Canada hat while cheering on his Canadian wife.
A few fucking idiots on Twitter doesn't represent the US. Why do stories like this keep getting picked up? Why does anyone care what morons on Twitter think?

blotsfan

blotsfan

If not for Frank posting, I probably would've never known that this happened.

Dave

Dave

Ryan Lochte and three other swimmers were robbed at gunpoint by people pretending to be Brazilian cops.

Welcome to Rio, bitches.

Dei

Dei

Watching a 41 year old woman competing in vault makes me feel bad about myself lol. ;)

blotsfan

blotsfan

So apparently a high school classmate's sister won a gold medal yesterday. Thats pretty cool.

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

My bartender played volleyball with the really tall Canadian beach volleyball player who is, currently, down one set and in danger of being eliminated . . . this, a day after knocking out her comrades on Canada's other beach volleyball team.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Three-pete for Bolt! And Bronze for Canada! YAY!

Frank

Frank

Bolt, like Phelps, is some kind of super mutant. No one that lanky should be that quick.

GasBandit

GasBandit

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Docking points for not crediting me for the original post. :p

GasBandit

GasBandit

Docking points for not crediting me for the original post. :p
What? Where?

(goes back through all 3 pages)

Oh is that the "This content is no longer available" thing? I never got to see what that was, originally. It was gone before I saw it.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

OMG women's hammer throw is scary!

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

What? Where?

(goes back through all 3 pages)

Oh is that the "This content is no longer available" thing? I never got to see what that was, originally. It was gone before I saw it.
Yeah. It was the Australian soccer GIF.

Dave

Dave

OMG women's hammer throw is scary!
The women's hammer pants throw is even worse.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

The women's hammer pants throw is even worse.
I was bored:
MC Hammer Throw.jpg

Dei

Dei

North Korea got gold in men's vault. I snicker when they say Democratic People's Republic of Korea. :/ I wonder if he actually lives in NK.

GasBandit

GasBandit

North Korea got gold in men's vault. I snicker when they say Democratic People's Republic of Korea. :/ I wonder if he actually lives in NK.
If he's so good at vaulting, how is he still in NK?

Dei

Dei

If he's so good at vaulting, how is he still in NK?
Because he's not doing it with a pole?

GasBandit

GasBandit

Because he's not doing it with a pole?
Oh, the gymnastics vault thing. Well never mind.

Dei

Dei

Simone Biles fell on beam and still got bronze.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I was bored:
I don't know, it looks like you have your hands full.

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

:Leyla:

BErt

i can do that, but i dont wanna

Bubble181

Bubble181

i can do that, but i dont wanna
I'm fairly sure I could do that too, and I'd be happy to, but my girlfriend would probably object.

Celt Z

Celt Z

I think I'd want to watch this more than the closing ceremony:
olympicchamp.jpg

GasBandit

GasBandit

So, basically, Russia is populated entirely by cheats, frauds and thieves.

http://www.barstoolsports.com/phila...is-a-little-pissed-off-at-the-olympic-judges/

Hard to say who is more corrupt, Russia or AIBA/IOC.

Most Irish response ever though.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Why is boxing still amateur?

GasBandit

GasBandit

Why is boxing still amateur?
Why is anything, really, if you ask me. I never really bought the whole "no professionals" thing about the olympics.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Why is anything, really, if you ask me. I never really bought the whole "no professionals" thing about the olympics.
But that has been over for the main sports for 24 years.

Bubble181

Bubble181

In my opinion, the Olympics should go back to being entirely non-professional. The non-pro sports are generally much more fun to look at, anyway. There's plenty of other pro sports tournaments.

Dei

Dei

In my opinion, the Olympics should go back to being entirely non-professional. The non-pro sports are generally much more fun to look at, anyway. There's plenty of other pro sports tournaments.
More of these sports have "professional" levels than you think, I feel like. Professional just means they get paid to do it for the most part. Professional figure skaters for example, still can't compete in the Olympics.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Plus amateurism is a massive scam.

Dei

Dei

Also, Simone Biles can't compete in college when she goes to UCLA because she is "professional."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...astics-champ-simone-biles-turns-pro/30848751/

Completely different topic, but college sports continue to be a ripoff for talented athletes. [emoji14]

Covar

Covar

There were plenty of pro athletes in the Olympics when it was "amateur only." Just ask Russia.

Bubble181

Bubble181

More of these sports have "professional" levels than you think, I feel like. Professional just means they get paid to do it for the most part. Professional figure skaters for example, still can't compete in the Olympics.
But most of them are not present at the Olympics. Why allow 3 pro soccer players per country at the Olympics? There's plenty of soccer tournaments. Why not allow pro boxers then? Or archers? In some countries there are whole separate leagues of pro and amateur archers to divide those who get paid enough to live from it and those who don't - and only the second can go to the Olympics. Etc.

Though, in part, you're right - I just enjoy the "lesser known"/"lesser shown" sports more than the ones we get all the time.

Dei

Dei

Danell Leyva taking off the top of his leotard while doing parallel bar at the gymnastics gala. Yes pls.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

There were plenty of pro athletes in the Olympics when it was "amateur only." Just ask Russia.
The hockey team was just a bunch of soldiers that got to play hockey on the weekends.......

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

Danell Leyva taking off the top of his leotard while doing parallel bar at the gymnastics gala. Yes pls.
Oh good.

Now I can say how much I enjoyed watching the Brazilian brunettes play soccer against the pale blonde Swedes yesterday.

The game itself was terrible, though.

Bubble181

Bubble181

As an interesting tidbit, the Belgian Takwondoka who'll be fighting later this evening and has a fair shot at the gold medal, is the brother of one of the suicide bombers at Brussels Airport back in march. Huh.

GasBandit

GasBandit

So remember that Irish boxer who the judges said lost to his Russian opponent and there was a big stink about it?

Look how clean and undamaged he looks, right?

Now it turns out the Russian who "won" was too badly beaten to continue competing in the next round.

In the wake of this...

Without admitting or even acknowledging the corruption, some Judges are being sent home. They won't say which judges or which fights they judged, and all results up to this point are still to stand.

Conlon got robbed at his chance for a medal.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Sounds like a young Floyd Mayweather.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Shamelessly stealing from another forumite:

PatrThom

PatrThom

But what about that tennis match?

--Patrick

Dei

Dei

Good thing she wasn't doing it over lava during the actual competition. :x

Dave

Dave

So Ryan Lochte made the whole robbery story up to cover up an assault and vandalizing of a gas station.

jwhouk

jwhouk

...and he left his teammates behind in Rio to deal with the lie.

Celt Z

Celt Z

Jackasses. Take the medals and ban 'em.

strawman

strawman

Yep. Strip them of their medals and ban them from the next olympics.

blotsfan

blotsfan

I mean, I'm sure that there have been medalists that have done way worse.

Celt Z

Celt Z

I mean, I'm sure that there have been medalists that have done way worse.
I have no doubt, but these things should be dealt with from now on. Just because they've been swept under the rug in the past doesn't mean we should keep allowing it.

strawman

strawman

At least the olympics weren't held in Singapore: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_P._Fay

That said, he was a guest in their country, and should be subject to their punishment. Chances are good, though, that the charges won't result in extradition, and so only his teammates will be punished, and he will simply have to avoid going to brazil ever again.

Olympic athletes, particularly disgraced ones, don't typically make a lot of money, otherwise this is something that could probably have been taken care of discreetly with a bunch of lawyers and cash.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Just learned Canadian Olympian Ian Miller is not at Rio, ending his streak of 10 straight Olympic appearances.

:(

Dave

Dave

I-ian M-m-meelar?

Frank

Frank

So, basically, Russia is populated entirely by cheats, frauds and thieves.

http://www.barstoolsports.com/phila...is-a-little-pissed-off-at-the-olympic-judges/

Hard to say who is more corrupt, Russia or AIBA/IOC.

Most Irish response ever though.
Yup, I still feel fine about not watching a second of these Olympics that isn't in gif form.

Bubble181

Bubble181

What's with the swimmers this time around?
Australian swimmer Josh Palmer and Emma McKeon (and some others) sent home for partying in the Copacabana and spinning a story about being forced to hand over his money.

GasBandit

GasBandit

PatrThom

PatrThom

"Ooo, and it looks like the shoddy Rio architecture may have won this one OH WHAT A RECOVERY LOOK AT HER GO"

--Patrick

blotsfan

blotsfan

The ending to Spain-Australia has pissed me off more than anything in the olympics since crosby.

blotsfan

blotsfan

@Denbrought Australia lost the game (and their first ever basketball medal) because of a horrendous foul call with 5 seconds to go.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Glad this shit show is almost over. Feel pity for the next suck. . . er . . . host city.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Glad this shit show is almost over. Feel pity for the next suck. . . er . . . host city.
That'd be Tokyo. Just like in Akira.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Don't forget about Pyonchang, which is hosting the real money-sink.

drifter

drifter

Not bad, but it's no Maryland :p

Dei

Dei

Japan's opening ceremony in 4 years will be amazing, I can already tell.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Japan's opening ceremony in 4 years will be amazing, I can already tell.
I'm sure it will be of Presentation Quality.

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

mikerc

mikerc

Vogue Brazil are doing some campaign photos for the Paralympics. Apparently they decided the best way to do that is to take photos of able-bodied models. Then take photos of Paralympians. Then photoshop the Paralympians disabilities onto the able-bodied models.

Who the hell that was a good idea?

Dei

Dei

Vogue Brazil are doing some campaign photos for the Paralympics. Apparently they decided the best way to do that is to take photos of able-bodied models. Then take photos of Paralympians. Then photoshop the Paralympians disabilities onto the able-bodied models.

Who the hell that was a good idea?