[Webcomic] The Order of the Stick thread

Since top 10 lists for the decade are cropping up everywhere, and OOTS has been around for the greater part of the decade (since 2003!), I figured it fitting to list my top 10 OOTS strips of the decade (online only) (thar be spoilers here, so if you haven't read the comic, READ IT FIRST, ALL THE WAY THROUGH):.
I'm a month late. Whatever.

Nice picks. I would have gone with O'Chul being threatened with the lives of his people to demonstrate what I like about his paladinhood, but that's another good one. Some of them, I wouldn't ever have thought of putting in. Even after reading your reasoning, still wouldn't. The one strip I'm most disappointed in not seeing is Roy telling Miko off after the inn catastrophe.[/QUOTE]

Missed another.

"hi roy! wanna play blocks with me?"
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, there are too many good strips to be satisfied with just ten. Lots of the ones on my list just happened to be ones that just were memorable to me for one reason or another. The Belkar-scroll-ranger joke was really the first one where I was just rolling from the idea, and I happen to think Rich has gotten better as the comic has progressed. But I also didn't want to just put all new ones in, either. Most of the O'Chul strips are gold, and the Eric strip was a great one, too.

Since top 10 lists for the decade are cropping up everywhere, and OOTS has been around for the greater part of the decade (since 2003!), I figured it fitting to list my top 10 OOTS strips of the decade (online only) (thar be spoilers here, so if you haven't read the comic, READ IT FIRST, ALL THE WAY THROUGH):.
I'm a month late. Whatever.

Nice picks. I would have gone with O'Chul being threatened with the lives of his people to demonstrate what I like about his paladinhood, but that's another good one. Some of them, I wouldn't ever have thought of putting in. Even after reading your reasoning, still wouldn't. The one strip I'm most disappointed in not seeing is Roy telling Miko off after the inn catastrophe.[/QUOTE]

Missed another.

"hi roy! wanna play blocks with me?"
[/QUOTE]
That one makes me mist up every time I read it.

S

Soliloquy

New comic is up:#704: Dead Men Give No Speeches

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0704.html

First time we see the Dark One in the online comic.
You know, I really have to wonder how this story looks to people who haven't read Edge Of Darkness, and know nothing about Right-eye, or the Dark One's plan, or any of that rich background that came from the book.

I mean, panels 5 and 6 in this comic hold a completely different meaning when you know everything that happened, for instance.

Not to brag, but while I was up at my friend's this weekend, we went to a game store and I found an Order of the Stick board game. I bought it.

Now, I just have to learn how to play it and find some people who would be interested in playing it with me. :)

The OOTS board game is tons of fun. You are a lucky guy to have it in your possession.
Do you have it? I think mine is missing some things. Only had 1 12-sided die, no clear markers that the quick start guide mentioned. Small things that can easily be replaced, but was just wondering if you knew.

I have a couple of friends that might be interested in learning the game, but they have not read the strip. I am trying to fix that, though. :D

Yeah, it sounds like you were missing some pieces. There should have been one blue and one red d12 and one clear marker for each character. I would contact APE Games and see about getting that taken care of.

Edit: And no, I don't personally own it but I have a couple of buddies who do.

Yeah, it sounds like you were missing some pieces. There should have been one blue and one red d12 and one clear marker for each character. I would contact APE Games and see about getting that taken care of.

Edit: And no, I don't personally own it but I have a couple of buddies who do.
Emailed them, thanks. :)

Edit: and they will replace the missing pieces for me. :D

Dave

Staff member
Yay for updates!!

---------- Post added at 07:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:53 AM ----------

In other news, did anyone besides me get the last book? In the forward Rich talks about how the end of that book is exactly 1/2 way though the current story line! The book ends at strip 672!

This dude is a planning genius.

I

Iaculus

Anyone else suspect that the excrement is about to be actualised?

Yay for updates!!

---------- Post added at 07:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:53 AM ----------

In other news, did anyone besides me get the last book? In the forward Rich talks about how the end of that book is exactly 1/2 way though the current story line! The book ends at strip 672!

But at his current updating speed that will take...

C

Chibibar

Yay for updates!!

But at his current updating speed that will take...[/QUOTE]

Long enough for me to enjoy it :) Yea I love the new book it is awesome.

I

Iaculus

Hrm - can't help but think that the elf wrecking crew might have something decidedly unpleasant in mind. Sure, sure, the victim was a fairly sleazy member of an Always Chaotic Evil species, but an act of calculating sadism like that seems like the sort of thing Burlew would generally use to indicate bad things later on. Leading along an unarmed prisoner for shits and giggles before killing them? Not cool.

Hrm - can't help but think that the elf wrecking crew might have something decidedly unpleasant in mind. Sure, sure, the victim was a fairly sleazy member of an Always Chaotic Evil species, but an act of calculating sadism like that seems like the sort of thing Burlew would generally use to indicate bad things later on. Leading along an unarmed prisoner for shits and giggles before killing them? Not cool.
He could also be just illustrating a typical player mentality when it comes to D&D. Which is = A member of an evil race is evil. Pure and simple.
I've played characters like that, and definitely see a good number of individuals play the same way. We had a player roll up a Drow once and it was a hassle just trying to convince the Eladrin in our party to accept him. And even then it's likely we had to resort to meta-gaming to give our characters tolerance enough to do that in the first place. The Elves in this case just may be incredibly racist, but understandably so. Burlew has already established that the race is evil by default and that typically only their teenagers become good just to piss off their parents. The Hobgoblin is too much a risk.
It's also possible that Burlew is setting things up so that they do come across an actual good goblin.