The "Medical Advice" Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
***DISCLAIMER***

All questions, comments, answers, and the like represented in this thread are NO substitute for an appointment with your doctor. Please understand that anyone of halforums.com is not liable for ANYTHING you may or may not have done after reading this thread. Thank you.

***/DISCLAIMER***

Hokay! I've been seeing a few threads of health issues around here, and I figured we could use a place to ask our fellow forumites about what ails ye!

First off, the boyfriend is paranoid. Since he's moved down to Louisiana, he's gotten his very first fire ant bites! He's freaking out because each bite has been puss-y and painful...

Welcome to the south, mister! :p

Just getting this out of the way, my serious answer to everything in this thread will be "go to a doctor". Every post after this will be a suggestion that makes the situation worse.

D

Dusty668

Apply directly to forehead!

The baby is always hungry and never satisfied. All the females in my family are telling me its go time on semi-solid foods like rice and oatmeal pablum (sp.). since he's over four months and the books I got are telling me the same thing.

But the nutritionist is saying wait until six months as children who start solid food earlier are more prone to allergies.

HOWEVER, the information she gave me says if the baby is over four months and you feel he's ready you should go for it.

Yay for conflicting information!

Getting a second opinion but do any of you internet folk have an opinion?

My sister had this problem when she was little. Her special formula made her vomit all the time and she was always in the lower growth percentile. Then mom gave her real food and she puffed up!

Are you giving him bottles with rice meal?

If your doctor says it's ok if you want to start, do so. He'll sleep better at night with a little more stuff in his tummy!

Dave

Staff member
Start with the cereal. ALL kids are different. Some are ready early, some are not. If he's ready to eat it he will, you just can't force him to.

C

Chazwozel

The baby is always hungry and never satisfied. All the females in my family are telling me its go time on semi-solid foods like rice and oatmeal pablum (sp.). since he's over four months and the books I got are telling me the same thing.

But the nutritionist is saying wait until six months as children who start solid food earlier are more prone to allergies.

HOWEVER, the information she gave me says if the baby is over four months and you feel he's ready you should go for it.

Listen to your closest family members with kids of their own that are slightly older than your kid, your parents, and your own gut. Every baby is different and in the end, you know what's best for them overall. I would recommend though to establish good eating habits early on. That is don't overfeed your kid and regulate how much semi-solid stuff he eats i.e. don't give him three cans of applesauce even if he opens his mouth for more.

Speaking as a scientist (not an M.D.) I don't see where the nutritionist is getting the whole allergy bunk. If anything exposing your kid to new foods would help distinguish any allergies, or desensitize mast cells to the the trigger antibodies. I'm not an immunologist by trade but I've always agreed with the hypothesis that children have tons of allergies anymore because they're not exposed to enough allergens.

From a personal standpoint, as someone who has a 2 year old, I say start the semi-solid foods. I think nutritionists over exaggerate things a bit too much because of the whole obesity scare and to cover their own asses. Remember, it's just food; your baby is a human just like you. They can start to eat things that you eat at like 8 months. I believe we started my daughter on semi-solids right around 4 months too. Banana, applesauce, cereal, and rice were the starters. By months 5 and 6 she was on all sorts of mashed up stuff (carrots, peas, pineapple...). By the time she got her front teeth, she was eating cheerios and Gerber graduate solids.

---------- Post added at 08:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:21 AM ----------

Oh and the answer to all Medical Advice posts:

Cure it with marijuana.

As long as you don't give him honey or peanut butter (or other nuts) you'll be fine!

Mmmmmmm.... mashed potatoes and applesauce!

Thanks for the advice.

I started him on rice cereal today. He seemed to really enjoy it!

I have a video of him, actually, which I may post up either here on in the picture thread when I get a second.

I did have to look up what the feeding instructions for a child with cleft palate is though, since his nostril opens right up into his mouth. Turns out that you have to let him suck on the spoon instead of 'shoveling' it in to avoid blocking that air way.

The more you know!

W

Wasabi Poptart

Listen to your closest family members with kids of their own that are slightly older than your kid, your parents, and your own gut. Every baby is different and in the end, you know what's best for them overall. I would recommend though to establish good eating habits early on. That is don't overfeed your kid and regulate how much semi-solid stuff he eats i.e. don't give him three cans of applesauce even if he opens his mouth for more.

Speaking as a scientist (not an M.D.) I don't see where the nutritionist is getting the whole allergy bunk. If anything exposing your kid to new foods would help distinguish any allergies, or desensitize mast cells to the the trigger antibodies. I'm not an immunologist by trade but I've always agreed with the hypothesis that children have tons of allergies anymore because they're not exposed to enough allergens.

From a personal standpoint, as someone who has a 2 year old, I say start the semi-solid foods. I think nutritionists over exaggerate things a bit too much because of the whole obesity scare and to cover their own asses. Remember, it's just food; your baby is a human just like you. They can start to eat things that you eat at like 8 months. I believe we started my daughter on semi-solids right around 4 months too. Banana, applesauce, cereal, and rice were the starters. By months 5 and 6 she was on all sorts of mashed up stuff (carrots, peas, pineapple...). By the time she got her front teeth, she was eating cheerios and Gerber graduate solids.[/QUOTE]

I started my son on rice cereal and baby oatmeal around the 4 month mark. Our pediatrician said we could start between 4 and 6 months. My little guy came down with croup sometime before the 6 month mark and I called the nurse's line to get some advice. She asked about his diet. When I said he was eating cereal and mashed bananas once a day, she started yelling at me and asked who told me I could give the baby solids before 6 months. She sure did splutter when I said his doctor told me I could make the decision for myself.
So, even the "experts" don't agree, even when they work at the same place.

I will add that we were told to start slow. Try one food for a few days in a row (I think we were told at least 4 days) before trying something new. Then you can determine if there is an allergy easier. Also, don't mix foods until you've tried them separately first.

T

TotalFusionOne

Halforum Doctors: UNITE!

So. Diagnose my illness.

On the right side of my face just underneath my jaw line I am swollen and in pain. This isn't my tonsils, but almost JUST under my jawbone itself extending back towards my ear and partially down my neck.

wtf is going on with me? No sore throat, but buised-feeling pain when I swallow. Also it hurts to the touch. And feels warm.

W

Wasabi Poptart

Could be swollen glands. Do you have any other symptoms? Sore throat, fever, etc.?

Obviously I fail at reading.

Cajungal

Staff member

^Sounds like the sinus infection I have right now. But definitely go to a doctor. Are you feeling any post nasal drip?

W

Wasabi Poptart

T

TotalFusionOne

Just came back from the store. I bought the store brand vermouth, is that okay? And I figured you were joking about the bathtub, but I did get onions just in case I was wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.