[Movies] The Evil Dead Remake Fucking Owns Go See It

Status
Not open for further replies.
When people talk about how good Evil Dead is, they're rarely referring to the first one.
Oh, I'm not arguing with that at all. Evil Dead 2 - and to a lesser extent, Army of Darkness - is what people are most familiar with because it's what really put Raimi on the map.

So, I don't care about gore one way or the other. For me, it does not enhance the horror aspects of a good horror movie at all. I'm much more into tension, fear of the unknown, subtle terror, etc. Is the new Evil Dead actually scare in that way, or is it relying entirely on gore and the "ick factor"?

There's some unsettling stuff, but I will grant it's mostly well done jump scares, relentless audacity, and artfully done brutality.

I also have to give props to all the practical effects. The score was also REALLY good.

Based on that, I don't think I would enjoy it. It just doesn't sound like it fits my tastes in a horror movie. But, I'm glad to hear it's well done and people are enjoying it. The last thing the world needed was another shitty remake.

I only watched the first Evil Dead once when I was 19. I thought it was pretty fucked-up; I didn't find it funny at all. Doubt I'll ever watch it again, but I remember just gaping at the TV for most of the movie.

I never really enjoyed the original Evil Dead. I remember seeing Army of Darkness first when I was young. Then when I realized Army of Darkness was a sequel to Evil Dead 2, I picked that up. I wanted to get Evil Dead first, but this was back when the original production company that owned the rights had already gone out of business, and the rights were being negotiated over by other companies. When I got Evil Dead 2 I didn't like it nearly as much as Army of Darkness. I was rather surprised by just how gory and disturbing it was. Course that was when I was much younger, and now my opinions have switched. When I finally did see Evil Dead I pretty much decided that one viewing was enough. It wasn't funny like the other two. It was just a straight up, bad horror film that tried to be as gross as it possibly could. I just didn't appreciate it that much as an individual film. Plus Ash in Evil Dead is nothing like the Ash in the other two films. The first version is kinda depressing after you've seen what the character is capable of.

Heh, it seems like you really liked it then!

You seem to get really enthusiastic about things when you're apparently drunk, so I was just trying to adjust for it.

Another coin in the it's awesome camp. That movie was fucking rad. The only downside was a lot of the shitty dialogue. Everything else was balls out rad.

I agree with Red Letter Media's review in a few places. The overall movie's great, it could have been better if the characters weren't so bland (the Deadite dialogue was hilarious, though). It's like they over-avoided the usual stereotypes in horror protagonists and hit too far on the opposite end of the spectrum.

Also, a couple parts in the trailer that didn't make the cut.

Mia peeking out and singing that "gonna get you, not another sleep, time to go to sleep" wasn't there at all, and instead of saying "cut it, cut it" she says "don't cut it." Curious to see what'll be in an unrated cut of the movie.

Fuck, that final climactic shot had everyone in the audience just agape. That shit was sensational.

Fuck, that final climactic shot had everyone in the audience just agape. That shit was sensational.
Usually horror gore doesn't bother me, but

Mia ripping her hand off made me wince hard. That and Eric getting the needle under his eye. I'm really bad about things to do with eyes, so that shit set me off in a massive shudder. Ugh.

But yeah, the whole final confrontation was fantastic. Can't wait to get this movie on BluRay.

The machete through the shelves and dragging across Mia's leg was another. It wasn't the gore that made me wince, but the unbridled brutality of it.

Cajungal

Staff member
Okay, yes, it's awesome. Jake put his hand in front of my face at all the appropriate moments... I got a little queasy a few times.

Status
Not open for further replies.