[Movies] The Evil Dead Remake Fucking Owns Go See It

Status
Not open for further replies.
n/t

Too blown away to comment coherently

I will say that the thought went through my head that "this might be the best horror movie of all-time" and wasn't immediately dismissed

also: stay through the credits

All I've seen have been the TV ads, and the distinct lack of Bruce Campbell in them makes me say, "fuck this movie."

He's old and gave his blessing to the new movie. I'm pretty stoked to watch it.
Well there ya go then. I'm satisfied.

Still not likely to go see it, but for the reasons I'm not likely to go see any movie at all. Hell, I can't even find the time to watch any DVDs or streams at home right now.

Unless we suddenly become bad parents and drug Hailey so she'll stay asleep through a movie like this, I guess I'll be seeing it in three months when it hits rental.

It's a pretty terrible, predictable and cliche movie. I actually recommend you don't go see it. It's more of a rental.

I don't like most horror movies (I think it's the idea of the genre, I like a lot of the ones I see), but I'm glad to hear that the franchise is doing okay.

Necronic

Staff member
Definitely looking forward to seeing it. First time I watched it (ED2 was the first one I saw I think) I really wanted it to be scary, and it wasn't. Drag Me to Hell revitalized my hope for the horror genre, Cabin in the Woods accelerated it farther, I hope this can keep that trend up.

It's not great or anything, but I thought it was good. You'll have to put up with the usual characters making stupid choices, but it throws in gore worthy of the Evil Dead (virtually all practical effects, aside from a little CG here and there) and manages to actually pull some surprises. Hey, I'm just happy it's not another bad horror remake.

It's not great or anything, but I thought it was good. You'll have to put up with the usual characters making stupid choices, but it throws in gore worthy of the Evil Dead (virtually all practical effects, aside from a little CG here and there) and manages to actually pull some surprises. Hey, I'm just happy it's not another bad horror remake.
I thought the choices mostly made sense, especially consideirng the various states of shock everyone had to be in

I loved Evil Dead for the same reason I love Brain Damage/Dead Alive. It's aware of the conventions of the genre and makes fun of them.

I loved Evil Dead for the same reason I love Brain Damage/Dead Alive. It's aware of the conventions of the genre and makes fun of them.
Except the original, first Evil Dead was supposed to be a straight up horror flick. But even Raimi himself admitted that it was so amateur in so many ways that it wound up becoming an unintentional camp classic. Hence Evil Dead 2, which remakes the first and just says "Screw it. Let's Larry, Curly, and Moe this shit!"

This new one is meant to be taking what the original was meant to be: legit horror. Apparently the gore is off the charts and the majority of it is practical, so I'm down for that alone. Plus, MovieBob gave it a solid thumbs up and I share his opinion on most things.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/vid...st&utm_medium=index_carousel&utm_campaign=all

Except the original, first Evil Dead was supposed to be a straight up horror flick. But even Raimi himself admitted that it was so amateur in so many ways that it wound up becoming an unintentional camp classic. Hence Evil Dead 2, which remakes the first and just says "Screw it. Let's Larry, Curly, and Moe this shit!"

This new one is meant to be taking what the original was meant to be: legit horror. Apparently the gore is off the charts and the majority of it is practical, so I'm down for that alone. Plus, MovieBob gave it a solid thumbs up and I share his opinion on most things.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/vid...st&utm_medium=index_carousel&utm_campaign=all
When people talk about how good Evil Dead is, they're rarely referring to the first one.

Status
Not open for further replies.