The EPIC WIN Thread 3: SON OF EPIC

Another huge win for my family.

My aunt has lived with Multiple Sclerosis for 12 years, having in recent years ended up completely confined to a wheelchair, unable to do most things for herself. But recently, doctors in Poland discovered a treatment that has helped MS sufferers regain mobility in their legs. The MS community has been calling it the "Liberation" treatment.

My aunt and uncle have been keeping tabs on this, have sent some emails, and my aunt has just been chosen as one of twelve MS sufferers from Canada to participate in a medical trial of the procedure in Costa Rica.

It'll cost them $16 000 to do it, but the entire family is ecstatic about this. It has the potential to give my aunt and uncle a little bit of their lives back. She flies down on August 25th. I'll probably share an update or two when they go down, and when the treatment happens.

It's a huge win for the family today.

One of TWELVE!?

That's huge!
It is pretty damn awesome. And if I understand it correctly, she's the only one of the twelve that's going who's confined to a wheel chair. They were afraid that because she's already gotten to that point she wouldn't be considered, but I guess not.

M

makare

Ok so FINALLY I got my new bed for real. WOOOOOO.
Now I dont have to worry about getting poked by my bed while I sleep.

We bought a mattress and bed spring from these people across town. Usually when stuff gets moved my sister and her ex girlfriend stacy move it. But we couldnt get a hold of stacy so it was me and my sister. The guy we bought the mattress from helped us load it onto the flat bed so that went well.

When we got home and had to move my old bed out and the new one in by ourselves.. not so good. We have NO upper body strength whatsoever. So it was mostly us rolling a mattress around and swearing at each other. So cries of "fuck you fucking fuck pick up your fucking side goddamn!" rang through out the neighborhood. And my sister had that song, the just to be the next to be with you song. but the only line she knows is the "hold on little girl part" so every five seconds she would say "hold on little girl" which drove me craaazy! >.< So Id bitch at her and she'd change the arrangement or make it "hold on.. miiiicheeeellllee" which really was annoying.

Afterward I bribed her into moving the extra metal frame by herself. She said, "so you can just sit on your ass, you beyotch" and I said "I can deal with being a beyotch if i get to sit on my ass" . She moved it.

Party on my new bed! BYOB!

So update on the band situation, this time in the win thread rather than rant thread :)

My buddy JUMPED at the chance to drum for us, his other band is on hiatus right now so he's got free time. I'm really excited to play with him. We set our gear up last night and stored our old drummers stuff for when his parents think he can handle seeing it come home, apparently he's still not doing well. However, tragic as it is, this has really brought the three of us together as friends and made us a lot stronger as a band.

Can't stop the rock.

M

makare

my sister will be gone a week visiting her girlfriend. my general daily frustration level just decreased by 3/4

Cajungal

Staff member
The fella built me a badass computer! But the hard drive I bought came in defective, so we had to get a new one. But now it works, and it's fantastic! This is my first post on my fancy new rig. ^_^ Hooray for the fella! :heart:

I finally get to play my Elder Scrolls games and see them the way they were meant to be seen... NOT with all the graphics turned way down!! He even bought me brand new speakers. What a guy.

W

Wasabi Poptart

Yay CG! New computers are always nice. I can't wait to build our next one. .

Thats great CG! Love the smell of a new compy ramping up in the morning! ;)

Sorry I missed your post Ame, thanks for posting your blog, thats really great news!

So a long long time ago in grade seven, I played alto saxophone. My teacher switched me to the trumpet in grade eight and I couldn't do it, so I never took music in high school. Around grade 10 I got into ska music, and realized if I had not switched to trumpet, I'd probably have stuck with it, cause I loved playing the sax. So for eight years I have been looking for a cheap saxophone. Alto or Tenor, I didn't even care, but the cheapest I could ever find was still around $500.

In China I found a music store where I could get a brand new alto sax for $300 CDN, and a friend bought one, as if it weren't tempting enough for me already. On my last day in China (Which was either yesterday or the day before, depending on how you look at the time difference), when I went to take some money out, the Chinese ATM would not take my card.

"You know what that means." My other friend told me "It wasn't meant to be. You have to take it as a sign. Life will GIVE you a saxophone."

Today I was riding with my friends to the grocery store, and the driver mentioned something about his saxophone. I didn't even know he played. I told him how cool that was and how I wanted one, and he said "you can have mine".

True story. He originally said $50, but now the deal is for my old PS2 and some games. Seems like a good-ass deal to me.

Now I just have to learn how to play an instrument I haven't touched in 12 years.

Cajungal

Staff member
That's not just a good-ass deal. That's a fantastic-ass deal! It's a pretty good instrument? Feels good to you? I hope you have loads of fun with it! :) Post vids!

Sounds like a smokin' deal man. I'm glad you ended up going with tenor sax, now you can look down on the lowly alto players.

Holy shit! I've been given the best scholarship my governmend gives for Ph.D. students!! God I can't believe it, I'm going to be doing research for the next 4 years and I'll get paid for it! With the best conditions in the country!!!*

*Best conditions for public scholarships, which really doesn't amount to much. But who cares?!!??! I'm a scientist baby :cool: (well, on my way)

Edit: I'm really, really happy for this because I thought it was impossible that they'd give it to me, there were 44 scholarships for all the physicists in Spain and I'm not supposed to be that good, but apparently I'm awesome! :D

Gawd, I'm extatic

Grats Tegid! Though this means that the next time you post a picture of yourself here you had better be wearing a lab coat.

So as I mentioned in another thread, my brother has found a house and his offer has been accepted. Pending an inspection tomorrow, he'll make the down payment and be able to move in in mid-October.

Which is epic in and of itself.

But this afternoon, our parents called a family meeting. Back in 1996, my dad and a bunch of his friends from work entered some kind of Heart and Stroke charity lottery, and they won a condo in Toronto which they sold. Secretly, my parents set some money aside in investments for me and my brother, which they revealed to us today, since my brother is getting his house.

So long story short, my parents basically just handed me a check for $2800 and change. :D

Woo!

I've already talked to my consultant. I'm gonna put it all into savings and forget about it so I can get a car when I graduate without much hassle. :) HOORAY!