The Disney Thread: For Everything Concerning the House of Mouse

figmentPez

Staff member
10 ‘Star Wars’ Series, 10 Marvel Series And More To Debut on Disney Plus

Honestly, that seems like a way too much Star Wars, and possibly too much Marvel. 15 Disney and Pixar Animation series seems more reasonable, since there's are more possible directions to go in.

Even over the course of many years, Disney is going to have to expand the idea of what Star Wars can be if they want to have ten series that are successful.

10 ‘Star Wars’ Series, 10 Marvel Series And More To Debut on Disney Plus

Honestly, that seems like a way too much Star Wars, and possibly too much Marvel. 15 Disney and Pixar Animation series seems more reasonable, since there's are more possible directions to go in.

Even over the course of many years, Disney is going to have to expand the idea of what Star Wars can be if they want to have ten series that are successful.
Well...if they stick with some animated, some Lego animated, and some live action, it might be okay. It looks like we will get an Obi-wan series, an Ahsoka series, a Rogue One prequel series, and possibly a Boba Fett series. If most of the rest are animated, then the live action series will have about the same footprint as the Marvel shows had on Netflix.

Honestly I'm okay if they go "Expanded Universe" with Star Wars movies, stuff about the universe of Star Wars and not necessarily everything associated with Luke & Co.

Shamelessly stolen from reddit:

biilsyall.png

Also coming: Y: The Last Man and Alien series, Elizabeth Holmes, Shogun, a Cousteau documentary, and they're making a new Blade movie?
I'm curious to see what John Mulaney and Andy Samberg do with Chip & Dale...are they still going to speed up/pitch shift the voices?

--Patrick

Shamelessly stolen from reddit:

View attachment 36448

Also coming: Y: The Last Man and Alien series, Elizabeth Holmes, Shogun, a Cousteau documentary, and they're making a new Blade movie?
I'm curious to see what John Mulaney and Andy Samberg do with Chip & Dale...are they still going to speed up/pitch shift the voices?

--Patrick
I saw the Y: The Last Man announcement, starring Diane Lane, and I am so confused. I mean, obviously lots of women will be starring, but it seems like we're all waiting for the main announcement. Who's gonna play Ampersand?

Pretty sure they made the decision to use CGI for Amp.... evidently the monkey from Friends was originally cast but has gotten older and is not able to perform any longer.

Disney announced that "The Book of Boba Fett" is a new spin-off series...
"The tweet also confirms that the show will be executive produced by Mandalorian creator Jon Favreau along with Dave Filoni (executive producer of Star Wars Rebels) and prolific writer / director Robert Rodriguez (who recently directed episode 14 of The Mandalorian). Temuera Morrison and Ming-Na Wen will their roles as Boba Fett and Fennec Shand, which they played in recent episodes of The Mandalorian."

From what I understand, that show, Mandalorian, Ahsoka, and Rangers of the New Republic are all going to be set in the same timeline and will likely converge at a later date again. All the other shows happen in other timelines either following the end of the Clone Wars or around the time of the OT. It seems Jon is trying to setup inter-continuity similar to what he helped start with the MCU, just this time for "television".

From what I understand, that show, Mandalorian, Ahsoka, and Rangers of the New Republic are all going to be set in the same timeline and will likely converge at a later date again. All the other shows happen in other timelines either following the end of the Clone Wars or around the time of the OT. It seems Jon is trying to setup inter-continuity similar to what he helped start with the MCU, just this time for "television".
I wouldn't be surprised to see any or all of these character to show up in The Bad Batch ether, despite happening pre-OT. Dave Filoni (who's being doing the intercountiuity thing with Star Wars animations since 2008) is also the executive producer for that.

I wouldn't be surprised to see any or all of these character to show up in The Bad Batch ether, despite happening pre-OT. Dave Filoni (who's being doing the intercountiuity thing with Star Wars animations since 2008) is also the executive producer for that.
No reason why Ahsoka cannot show up within the Bad Batch series. And another role has already been confirmed.
Ming-Na Wen will voice a younger Fennec Shand, the character can even be spotted in the Bad Batch trailer.

No reason why Ahsoka cannot show up within the Bad Batch series. And another role has already been confirmed.
Ming-Na Wen will voice a younger Fennec Shand, the character can even be spotted in the Bad Batch trailer.
Ya I thought I saw her in there! It will be good to have someone cross over who started in the live action TV into the cartoon verse.

Random thing that was going through my head, but... why does no studio really pick up on Deepfake technology? I mean, it seems like something Disney would have the money and talent to greatly enhance and allow very realistic face swapping on actors mixed with the typical CGI. I mean, I understand the general issues with crediting for the actor you take the face from, and all that, but in some instances, like the recent Mandalorian episode, they had the actor involved, so I don't see it really being an issue to use old images of said actor.

I mean here is an example of what some people did on youtube in less then a week.

For those that don't want to be spoiled but want to see what I am talking about, the same guys also deepfaked Rogue One.

So why am I not seeing this tech explode in film? It really feels like something many of these studios would have been jumping into the minute it was developed.

Random thing that was going through my head, but... why does no studio really pick up on Deepfake technology?
Perhaps they fear backlash from actors and their agents about creating the need for a new trademark/copyright category for "likeness rights" and the quagmire that would generate.

--Patrick

@PatrThom Basically, Disney is already making likenesses of actors using CGI. They did it for Peter Cushing and Carrie Fischer is Rogue One, they did it for you know who in The Mandalorian, they did it again for both Luke and Leia in Rise of Skywalker, etc. If they are worried about creating new trademarks for "likeness rights" then they are already dabbling their toes into it, since they openly try to make the CGI versions of those character look like the original actors, while the whole time being played by someone else.

What I am saying is they already are dabbling their toes into digitally copying a likeness that the box is already open on that quagmire, so why not at least add another layer to make it look better?

I mainly wasn't sure what you meant by "3D likenesses." I'm more alluding to the possible future where an actor essentially gets hired for one role, but then is never hired again because now their scans are "on-file" and so Disney or whoever never needs them to actually go in front of a camera ever again, plus how this might affect them (or their heirs, I suppose) if the studio decides to recycle that likeness for fifty more years of films, or to resurrect a famous face that's been dead for decades (and not in the "homage" sort of way they did with Fisher or Cushing).

--Patrick

I get what you are saying, I am just saying that such things are already possible, more so now with CGI, but has been an issue even longer then that. Remember how in Back to the Future 2, when Marty once again went back to the 50s and saw scenes from the first movie play out again? They didn't hire Crispin Glover for the role of George McFly during those scenes, instead hiring another actor and covering him with prosthetics to make him look like Crispin Glover. Crispin sued Universal for stealing his likeness, which they settled out of court for over half a million dollars. Many actors now protect their likenesses in order to prevent Studios from hiring lookalikes or use make-up or CGI for cheaper.

This is why I don't understand why they ain't looking more into deepfakes. If they have to get the approval of the actors likeness anyways, why not use another layer of tech that can help give the CGI a more realistic edge?

If they have to get the approval of the actors likeness anyways, why not use another layer of tech that can help give the CGI a more realistic edge?
I really do think it's because if the studios go all-in on deepfakes like you suggest, the message that sends (real or imagined) is, "Henceforth we no longer need real live actors."

--Patrick