The Disney Thread: For Everything Concerning the House of Mouse

While Disney is pretty busy with getting all sorts of Star Wars stuff off the ground, they haven't forgotten about Lucasfilm's other big property: Indiana Jones. Apparently, Disney and Lucasfilm may be looking at Chris Pratt to headline the Indiana Jones franchise.

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/403673-chris-pratt-sought-for-indiana-jones-reboot
Chris Pratt needs to take a year or two off, or he's going to get thrown into the pit with Adam Sandler, Jim Carrey and the other overexposed comic actors that couldn't say no.

Chris Pratt needs to take a year or two off, or he's going to get thrown into the pit with Adam Sandler, Jim Carrey and the other overexposed comic actors that couldn't say no.
But he's not taking on comedy roles, he's taking on adventure movie roles. He's on his way to being a movie star and he'd be wise to take every big option he gets. He had two movies last year, and both were hits. There's a demand for him right now and with Parks and Rec ending, he's going to have nothing but time to cultivate that popularity.

But he's not taking on comedy roles, he's taking on adventure movie roles. He's on his way to being a movie star and he'd be wise to take every big option he gets. He had two movies last year, and both were hits. There's a demand for him right now and with Parks and Rec ending, he's going to have nothing but time to cultivate that popularity.
True, but he also has Jurassic Park coming out shortly, too. I like Christ Pratt, but I don't want it to be another Benedict Cumberbatch situation where it becomes, "Him, again?!?".

I like what I see there, a lot!

This might become a tough fight for my new favourite Cinderella movie. So far number one is Ever After, just for the brilliantly evil Anjelica Houston nd the whacky Leonardo Da Vinci 'fairy godmother'.

I like what I see there, a lot!

This might become a tough fight for my new favourite Cinderella movie. So far number one is Ever After, just for the brilliantly evil Anjelica Houston nd the whacky Leonardo Da Vinci 'fairy godmother'.
I agree. This adaptation of Cinderella looks really promising, and I'm liking a lot of the ideas they seem to be going with to expand on the story. I'm not such a fan of Disney's original animated film (though I do like some of the creative choices they used in that telling), and while I'm not wild about Disney's recent trend of doing live-action films based on their animated one, Cinderella is one that looks like it has the potential to really work wonders.

This seemed the most appropriate thread: This is Not a Drill: We’re Getting New DuckTales in 2017!

They're making new episodes. This is from a blog on the official Disney site. So yay!

And the theme song is way WAY too catchy. Even today.
Honestly, I just hope this manages to be as fun as the first series, or even capture the same spirit as the old Carl Barks comics.

Also, I sort of wonder if they'll do anything with John D. Rockerduck. He was an enemy of Scrooge in the comics and, in some parts of the world, is considered to be his arch enemy (moreso in Latin America and Europe). While he is another rich duck rival (like Flintheart Glomgold), he's a younger guy who was born into his wealth and has a "spend money to make money" mentality in comparison to Scrooge McDuck's thrifty nature.

Or Helena Bonham Carter as Dumbo's mom or something.

Also, they take the writer who gave us the two most racially stereotypically offensive Transformers a human being can think of, and you let him write a script for a movie that includes what many already consider as offensively racially stereotypical crows? Yeah, this will end well.

Or Helena Bonham Carter as Dumbo's mom or something.

Also, they take the writer who gave us the two most racially stereotypically offensive Transformers a human being can think of, and you let him write a script for a movie that includes what many already consider as offensively racially stereotypical crows? Yeah, this will end well.
He's named JIM CROW, for chrissake.

Disneyland announced today that to kick off their 60th Anniversary events they will have a 24 hour event on May 22-23. That happens to be the last night/day of our Disneyland vacation. I am really happy that I have three days to recover once we leave.

...Ugh.

Once again, not every film in the Disney Animated Canon needs to be revisited with a live-action film. In fact, while I'm not wild about Disney mining their animated work as a way to find material for their live-action films, I can at least abide it if they adapt stuff that would not only work in a live-action form, but also be able to offer something good in the execution. Alice in Wonderland was bland and boring, and Maleficent was just weird in how it was a big "screw you" essentially to Sleeping Beauty.

Which reminds me, I'll be seeing Cinderella this Friday. I'll post my review of it in this thread. Early buzz thus far has been very positive.

How hard could it be? I mean, Dumbo was raised by the circus after his mother went to jail for defending her child as a single mother.

I know I said I was going to see it Friday, but I just got back from seeing Cinderella tonight. I thought it was utterly wonderful.

First, let me get it out of the way: this is no deconstruction. This is no revisionist take. This is no modern spin on the story. This is a classic, traditional adaptation of a fairy tale. And it does so with conviction of heart. There are no winks, no nudges about its fairy tale nature. This adaptation clings to the magic of sincere belief in its story and it works all the more for it. Even better is how it adds to the story not by necessarily throwing some big change into it, but rather in how it showcases the characters and their interactions. We see how the Prince can fall for Cinderella after a brief meeting with her in the woods, by how she is kind and sincere, which is a major change from the shallow princesses the Grand Duke wants him to marry. We see how Cinderella, even though she goes about doing housework while heaped with abuse from Lady Tremaine, keeps herself up by making the most of a bad situation and following through with trying to treat others with kindness and not giving in to fear. We even see twinges of backstory for Lady Tremaine, offering a shadow of sympathy even with how cruel she is. The adaptation may be traditional, but it offers substance for the characters.

Even better is how the cast and crew play ball with capturing that joy and love. The film is wonderfully shot, the sets and costumes and beautiful with a life and color akin to the old Technicolor visuals, and the cast is high wattage. From Lily James and her quiet strength as Cinderella to Cate Blanchett and her sorrowful yet cold bitterness as Lady Tremaine, the cast is game for working with this story. It is like all members were tuned together in capturing the magic of this fairy tale, all under the directing work of Kenneth Branagh.

It may be traditional. It may be old-fashioned. However, this adaptation of Cinderella captures the heart and magic of what can make a fairy tale so...well, magical.

I wonder how Burton will shoehorn daddy issues into Dumbo?
One day, Dumbo is spotted flying around by a bull elephant from another circus, who recognizes Dumbo as his son. The two have a joyful reunion. But Dumbo's father disapproves of his son flying. "Elephants do not fly," he says, and quite reasonably points out that flying is dangerous, and that humans might want to capture Dumbo for experimentation.

Dumbo must choose between a relationship with the father he's always wanted, but being stifled and grounded, and breaking away from his father but enjoying freedom in the skies.

One day, Dumbo is spotted flying around by a bull elephant from another circus, who recognizes Dumbo as his son. The two have a joyful reunion. But Dumbo's father disapproves of his son flying. "Elephants do not fly," he says, and quite reasonably points out that flying is dangerous, and that humans might want to capture Dumbo for experimentation.

Dumbo must choose between a relationship with the father he's always wanted, but being stifled and grounded, and breaking away from his father but enjoying freedom in the skies.
And since it's 2015, Dumbo's dad is ex-special forces.

And since it's 2015, Dumbo's dad is ex-special forces.
"You know what my old Lieutenant said in the war, son? The brightest light gets sniped. You want to be a shining beacon of hope for everyone around you? That's going to get you killed. You're going to end up in a ditch somewhere, rotting away into the mud, and no one's going to know you're there, or care. You think this is all fun and games, flying around like some kind of squirrel? I've seen real elephants fly, son. I've seen them shot down, blasted out of the sky in glowing balls of flame and death. You think I want that kind of fate for you? You want that for yourself? Do you?"

For anyone who has Disney XD, they're going to start airing Doctor Who on May 9th. The episodes they'll be showing are from seasons 2-4, which are the David Tennant seasons.

https://d23.com/news-briefs-april-22-2015/?CMP=EMC-eml&att=20150423_D23_FanFare
This basically means Disney XD is on the skids... probably because a lot of providers dropped it from their basic cable packages months ago and put it in their premium packages. I know mine did... I have to watch Gravity Falls online now.