Export thread

The Disney Thread: For Everything Concerning the House of Mouse

Limit: 500

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Hey there, everyone. This thread is for us all to talk about everything Disney: whether some big news has come from Disney, talk about Disney films we've watched or even just share the ear worm delight of Disney songs.

To kick things off, just got the Blu-Ray of Wreck-It Ralph today. Still a freakin' awesome animated film.

Also, looks like Disney is making a live-action Cinderella film. While Emma Watson may possibly star as Cinderella, they've confirmed Cate Blanchett as the evil stepmother and Kenneth Branagh as the film's director.
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=100985

bhamv3

bhamv3

Emma Watson? Yes please!

Also, I wonder if Cate Blanchet can out-evil Anjelica Huston.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

A long long time ago, before most of you were a 3rd drink on Saturday night, I bought the Disney Box CD set of classic songs. Absolutely fantastic 3 CDs!

Gusto

Gusto

Yay I like those casting ideas.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

A long long time ago, before most of you were a 3rd drink on Saturday night, I bought the Disney Box CD set of classic songs. Absolutely fantastic 3 CDs!
Get with the times, uh... wait a minute, there was a joke that was supposed to fill this space... I got the 5-disc set, probably about the same time that you got your set.

HCGLNS

HCGLNS

Lol, in nerd time, I got my Box Set before DS9 started airing.

Dun dun dun!

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Anything involving Donald Duck or his spin-offs. Except for DuckTales issue 3 cos...yeah that was bad.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Anything involving Donald Duck or his spin-offs. Except for DuckTales issue 3 cos...yeah that was bad.
I'm not such a fan of Donald Duck myself. Scrooge McDuck, however, is awesome. If you haven't read it, I recommend tracking down The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck. It's a graphic novel telling the tale of how Scrooge McDuck became the richest duck in the world.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Ah man I've been meaning to get that! Its weird how a character who starts out as a parody of from a Dickens story becomes so damn compelling!

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Best Villain Song: go! But be careful, there is only one right answer.

Be Prepared is the right answer

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

I agree with this, -Friends on the Other Side- being a close second.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Ahem.

Hellfire.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

Ahem.

Hellfire.
A good third, maybe fourth.

LittleKagsin

LittleKagsin

I concur!

I do, however, like many of the villian songs. ...They're often my favorite song of the movie.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

I concur!

I do, however, like many of the villian songs. ...They're often my favorite song of the movie.
Definitely. Quite frequently, the villain song tends to be among the best songs in Disney films.

In terms of best, "Be Prepared" definitely ranks high. One of my favorite villain songs, though, is "The World's Greatest Criminal Mind" from The Great Mouse Detective.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Who else misses the Disney cartoon line-up? Rescue Rangers, Gummy bears, Darkwing Duck, that was awesome! Now they got like, THREE cartoons and one them could be a LOT better(though I admit its a guilty pleasure). Just so many damn popcoms on that network now, its friggin' ridiculous.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Who else misses the Disney cartoon line-up? Rescue Rangers, Gummy bears, Darkwing Duck, that was awesome! Now they got like, THREE cartoons and one them could be a LOT better(though I admit its a guilty pleasure). Just so many damn popcoms on that network now, its friggin' ridiculous.
Disney used to have some awesome cartoons they'd show. DuckTales, Rescue Rangers, Bonkers, even a few of the later cartoons like Kim Possible. Now, there's really only one or two cartoons to check out: Phineas and Ferb (which is okay) and Gravity Falls (which I highly recommend).

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

They run most of their animated stuff on Disney XD now, as it's included in most standard cable packages. As for their stuff...

- Gravity Falls: Awesome. Second half of Season 1 going on right now. Airs on Disney too.
- Phineas and Ferb: Also awesome. Glad it broke the 100 episode barrier. Also Airs on Disney.
- Slugterra: Surprisingly good. From the guy who made Dragon Booster and Storm Hawks.
- Motorcity: Was cancelled, despite decent ratings and good fan/critic response. Got a proper finale at least.
- Ultimate Spider-man: Not terrible, but I wish the Ben 10 guys had stuck to Ben 10 and not this.
- Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes: Canceled, getting a new Avengers series more in line with the movies. I personally didn't like this series but a lot of fans did.
- Kick Buttowski: Cancelled as of Dec. 2, 2012. I liked this show a lot, but it didn't get the ratings.
- Kid Vs Kat: Cancelled. Crap ratings. Didn't like it.
- Jimmy Two-Shoes: Might be cancelled, no one knows. Weird show. Wasn't getting very good ratings.
- Randy Cunningham Ninth Grade Ninja: Haven't really watched it. Seems pretty generic though.
- Tron Uprising: I liked it. It was only ever supposed to be a single season though.

So no... Disney is still doing tons of animated stuff. They just do it on Disney XD and not Disney proper.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Also, Craig McCracken's going to be making a cartoon series for them called Wander Over Yonder. Here's hoping it turns out well.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Fucking Gummi Bears. My brother didn't rick roll me (well he did)... but more often he Gummi Bear Theme'd me. Fucking Gummi Bears...

Reverent-one

Reverent-one

Tron Uprising: I liked it. It was only ever supposed to be a single season though.
Huh, that's interesting, the season finale does not at all feel like one for a show intended to be a single season (unlike say, Legend of Korra, which does despite the fact that it was extended).

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I'd like to thank Tumblr for spoiling most of Wreck-It Ralph's ending via gifs. (Also applies to: season 2 of Sherlock, season 7 of new Doctor Who.)

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Watched Wreck-It Ralph tonight, enjoyed it. Looking forward to seeing Oz in the coming week or two. Next week has several Disney DVD releases, Who Framed Roger Rabbit? (25th Anniversary Blu-Ray), Mulan/Mulan 2 BR, Brother Bear/Brother Bear 2 BR, and Hunchback of Notre Dame BR. Also, Willow BR that is kinda Disney now.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

They run most of their animated stuff on Disney XD now, as it's included in most standard cable packages. As for their stuff...

- Gravity Falls: Awesome. Second half of Season 1 going on right now. Airs on Disney too.
- Phineas and Ferb: Also awesome. Glad it broke the 100 episode barrier. Also Airs on Disney.
- Slugterra: Surprisingly good. From the guy who made Dragon Booster and Storm Hawks.
- Motorcity: Was cancelled, despite decent ratings and good fan/critic response. Got a proper finale at least.
- Ultimate Spider-man: Not terrible, but I wish the Ben 10 guys had stuck to Ben 10 and not this.
- Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes: Canceled, getting a new Avengers series more in line with the movies. I personally didn't like this series but a lot of fans did.
- Kick Buttowski: Cancelled as of Dec. 2, 2012. I liked this show a lot, but it didn't get the ratings.
- Kid Vs Kat: Cancelled. Crap ratings. Didn't like it.
- Jimmy Two-Shoes: Might be cancelled, no one knows. Weird show. Wasn't getting very good ratings.
- Randy Cunningham Ninth Grade Ninja: Haven't really watched it. Seems pretty generic though.
- Tron Uprising: I liked it. It was only ever supposed to be a single season though.

So no... Disney is still doing tons of animated stuff. They just do it on Disney XD and not Disney proper.
  • Love it, can't wait to see who has the third book.
  • Good show, but I fidn the musical numbers a smidge tiring.
  • Couldn't get it, but I guess I'll give it another shot.
  • Heard great things, been meaning to watch it.
  • All of my hate. A SPIDER-CYCLE?! What is this the 1960s? Whats next, a giant space-ship that turns into a leopard themed robot? It didn't make sense all those years ago, and it didn't now.
  • I liked it, but nothing I haven't seen before.
  • Take it or leave it. See one 10 year old daredevil you've seen em all.
  • Me neither, it was just a poorly animated Tom and Jerry.
  • Thats STILL on? I completely forgotten that was a thing! Weird.
  • He has a "Ninjanomicon"...yeah I am not watching this.
  • Still haven't seen Tron, so I can't watch yet.
Guess they do have a good ammount of toons, maybe its just the line-up that bugs me.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Just got back from seeing Oz the Great and Powerful.

On the whole, really enjoyable. The story is solid, although I do feel they rushed Theodora's arc a bit. Also, I feel that James Franco and Mila Kunis were both a bit miscast. They weren't terrible, but someone else should have played their parts. That said, Michelle Williams is fun as Glinda and the China Girl character is a delight. The production design is also beautiful, with such rich colors to it. Also, best opening credits I've seen in a long time.

You know, I personally wouldn't mind seeing Disney make their own adaptation of The Wonderful Wizard of Oz. Let me be clear, I don't mean a remake of the 1939 film. I mean their own adaptation of that particular book.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Lucas confirmed the "original three" actors are all coming back in the 3 new Star Wars movies - Luke, Han and Leia. I'm glad the characters'll make an appearance (though it amkes me even more fearful for the EU), but the actors? Ehhhhh.....I dunno.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Yeah I don't see Mark as being the heroic protagonist again. If these films were made in the FREAKIN' EIGHTIES like they were supposed to, I'd be all for it but we can't all be dancin' in the land of "What could be" can we now?

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

According to everything written about post-original trilogy, Luke is busy gathering Force Sensitives to rebuild the order. So he's probably going to be the new Yoda.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Be Prepared made more awesome:

And some more awesomeness:

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

You've gotta be kidding me. I don't have a problem with Disney doing computer animation, but I was really hoping that they'd at least do the occasional 2D animated film and keep that going. Oh well.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I thought they shut down 2D animation a long time ago.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

I thought they shut down 2D animation a long time ago.
Well, they had shut it down once, back around 2004...then John Lasseter reinstated the 2D animation division because it was the terrible quality of the films at that point and not the 2D animation that was the source of the films not being successful.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Then the viewing public said "No, we really are just that stupid."

bhamv3

bhamv3

According to everything written about post-original trilogy, Luke is busy gathering Force Sensitives to rebuild the order. So he's probably going to be the new Yoda.
Once again that's assuming they don't toss out the entire EU though...

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

So are they cancelling that new Mickey Mouse movie they were working on now that they've canned all 2d animation? Because I really don't give two shits about Mickey if he doesn't look like him.

Once again that's assuming they don't toss out the entire EU though...
EVERYTHING that has been released up to this point has taken it into account. Every book. Every game. I seriously doubt they'd just toss it out, when it's the most obvious move after beating the Empire. It's not like Luke is some great general they need to coordinate troops and they have tons of great pilots.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

....RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH! WHAT?! SERIOUSLY?! Fucking dammit! Just when I think Disney isn't evil- THEY CANCEL ALL 2-D ANIMATED FEATURE FILMS! In short I am angry.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

So are they cancelling that new Mickey Mouse movie they were working on now that they've canned all 2d animation? Because I really don't give two shits about Mickey if he doesn't look like him.
Well, we don't actually know if they were planning on that being 2D animation or computer animation. Though, 2D animation would be a better approach when using characters like Mickey Mouse or Roger Rabbit.

North_Ranger

North_Ranger

Well.

F***.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I like Princess & the Frog. :(

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

I like Princess & the Frog. :(
So do I, and the new Winnie the Pooh film was also pretty good.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Oh man I completely forgot about that new Pooh film. I feel guilty now.

Seriously though, with them cancelling 2D films we all know what is going to happen: a surplus of crappy 3D films. Its bad enough Cars is getting a direct to DVD series about frickin' PLANES, who knows what crap they'll shill out? And then Dreamworks will compete with more schlock and Disney will do the same, and next thing you know we'll be in another animation dark age!

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Its bad enough Cars is getting a direct to DVD series about frickin' PLANES, who knows what crap they'll shill out?
Planes is coming out to theaters in North America and Europe August 2013. Looks pretty good from what I've seen so far, there is a new trailer on the Wreck-It Ralph dvd.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Planes is coming out to theaters in North America and Europe August 2013. Looks pretty good from what I've seen so far, there is a new trailer on the Wreck-It Ralph dvd.
Oh okay then, so there is an actual chance of this being good. I heard straight to DVD, and (Straight to DVD) + (Spin-off/sequel) = usually terrible.

BUT STILL- I do fear Hollywood may become too reliant on 3D animation, and Disney's ousting of classical animation may be a sign of that. The most I can look forward to in terms of a big time theatrical 2D film release...is that Looney Tunes reboot. THIS IS WHAT I LOOK FORWARD TO NOW!

Edit: Feel free to probe me wrong in terms of theatrical 2D animated features, I would really like that.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Edit: Feel free to probe me wrong in terms of theatrical 2D animated features, I would really like that.
Dude, you're like a brother, but I will not "probe" you. EVER. ;)

3d animation does offer more opportunities to do stuff with properties, but just the sheer amount of time required for 2d animation is going to work against it. I'm not really worried about it, honest, because of the attitude with the people running Disney right now, namely John Lassiter.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Dude, you're like a brother, but I will not "probe" you. EVER. ;)
Not even after a couple of drinks?

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Since I don't drink, this would be a very difficult state to achieve. (I'm not saying I'm better because I don't drink, or you are a bad person, but I just don't care for the taste or smell of almost all alcohol)

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

The problem with 2D animation is that it's VERY labor intensive if you want to get it done within any kind of reasonable time and it's not like Disney can just outsource the art to a studio in Japan or China, not for a major motion picture. That means they have to pay the big bucks for animators in the US, Canada, and Europe.

I think the real issue here is Lassiter is taking some serious flak from the board and share holders and he's just trying to shut them up.

figmentPez

figmentPez

I'm hoping that at some point computer assisted 2D animation reaches the point where it looks indistinguishable from fully hand drawn animation, but the labor cost is reduced enough to make it economical.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

I'm hoping that at some point computer assisted 2D animation reaches the point where it looks indistinguishable from fully hand drawn animation, but the labor cost is reduced enough to make it economical.
Here's hoping. In the meantime, I hope the tech they worked out for Paperman can be applied successfully to a feature-length animated film.

Covar

Covar

I thought they had animator a drawing the key frames, but sent all the tweeting overseas for the last decade or so?

Still time consuming, but honestly I'm not sure that its any more expensive than computer animation.CGI has some other significant benefits though, one of them being native 3D.
It's really not. 2d and 3d animation is pretty comparable budget wise. In fact Toy Story had a crazy high budget compared to the 2d Disney Movie that year. You're right about 3d advantages though, although they're really more labor saving than anything related to telling a story, free inbetweens, simulation of elements for animation (hair, balloons, fabric, etc.) and asset reuse.

Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh

It's ridiculously depressing to hear this especially after watching some phenomenal 2D films over the past few days:
The Little Mermaid, Mulan, Lilo and Stitch. To think there won't be another like these just hurts my soul.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

There will probably be another some day, but it's not going to happen with the current board.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Eh, I don't think its that big of a deal. If the movie is good, its good. Regardless of hand drawn or computer generated.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Eh, I don't think its that big of a deal. If the movie is good, its good. Regardless of hand drawn or computer generated.
Mustn't ... hit ... disagree ... grak ...

Bowielee

Bowielee

Oh man I completely forgot about that new Pooh film. I feel guilty now.

Seriously though, with them cancelling 2D films we all know what is going to happen: a surplus of crappy 3D films. Its bad enough Cars is getting a direct to DVD series about frickin' PLANES, who knows what crap they'll shill out? And then Dreamworks will compete with more schlock and Disney will do the same, and next thing you know we'll be in another animation dark age!
Are you watching different Dreamworks movies than I am? They've been pretty consistently good, with a few exceptions.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

...And Emma Watson has passed on the Cinderella film.
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=101449

In other news, Disney is also planning a new live-action reimagining of Beauty and the Beast called...The Beast.
:facepalm:

You know, Disney, I still do like you. But...I think some of the live-action stuff your planning needs to be reconsidered. Namely, raiding your animated films for live-action stuff. I'm not necessarily opposed to the idea. The Order of the Seven film (which has since been cancelled) sounded like an intriguing idea. Heck, even a new Cinderella film by Kenneth Branagh can hold promise. However, not everything from the "Disney Vault" needs to have a live-action version or reimagining (*cough* Alice in Wonderland *cough*). If you are so intent on taking animated films to expand, reimagine or re-adapt as live-action, take care to pick something that can actually work to have a new version and not just something that has name-brand value.

Yes, I am aware of how it can be ridiculous to make an argument about name-brand value when talking about Disney, but it just makes sense. Disney has plenty of name-brand stuff that people are at least familiar with. Pick something, then, that can work to have a new version of.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Are you watching different Dreamworks movies than I am? They've been pretty consistently good, with a few exceptions.
No you're right, I thought those Open Season and Happily Ever After movies were Dreamworks. Man I mix up Sony pictures and Dreamworks a lot.

Seriously though, a live action Beauty and the Beast movie...called "The Beast"? Am I to assume that since there is no beauty in said title, that it is a prequel? If so- UGH! Now, I can get behind an "Oz the great and powerful" film, thats a back-story worth checking out. But the Beast? The Beast's back-story is covered in the freaking film! He was a dick to a witch, the witch cursed him(and for some reason his entire wait-staff) and then he became a furry. There is seriously no more to add. Unless they pull out all the stops with musical numbers I ain't botherin' with it.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

No you're right, I thought those Open Season and Happily Ever After movies were Dreamworks. Man I mix up Sony pictures and Dreamworks a lot.

Seriously though, a live action Beauty and the Beast movie...called "The Beast"? Am I to assume that since there is no beauty in said title, that it is a prequel? If so- UGH! Now, I can get behind an "Oz the great and powerful" film, thats a back-story worth checking out. But the Beast? The Beast's back-story is covered in the freaking film! He was a dick to a witch, the witch cursed him(and for some reason his entire wait-staff) and then he became a furry. There is seriously no more to add. Unless they pull out all the stops with musical numbers I ain't botherin' with it.
Yeah, the only live-action Beauty and the Beast film I'm excited about is the one Guillermo del Toro is making for Warner Bros. (which is having Emma Watson as Belle).

In terms of Disney mining their vault for live-action material, here is what they have at various levels of development right now:
- Cinderella
- Maleficent (basically a Sleeping Beauty prequel exploring the story of Maleficent and how she became so evil)
- Mr. Toad's Wild Ride (based on The Wind in the Willows, barely anything happening developmentwise with it)
- The Beast (which I've already mentioned)

Honestly, the thing that most interests me of the batch is Cinderella (although I wouldn't mind a full-length Disney film of Wind in the Willows rather than just the earlier short, but I feel that might work better animated rather than live-action). If I were to do some mining in there for live-action stuff, I'd say to revive the Order of the Seven project and maybe make a feature based on Casey at the Bat.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

No, it most certainly would not be a prequel. It would be a retelling, but with more of a focus on how dangerous The Beast is, but how much Belle believes she can change him with the power of her love.

You know, because Twilight.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Yeah, the only live-action Beauty and the Beast film I'm excited about is the one Guillermo del Toro is making for Warner Bros. (which is having Emma Watson as Belle).

In terms of Disney mining their vault for live-action material, here is what they have at various levels of development right now:
- Cinderella
- Maleficent (basically a Sleeping Beauty prequel exploring the story of Maleficent and how she became so evil)
- Mr. Toad's Wild Ride (based on The Wind in the Willows, barely anything happening developmentwise with it)
- The Beast (which I've already mentioned)

Honestly, the thing that most interests me of the batch is Cinderella (although I wouldn't mind a full-length Disney film of Wind in the Willows rather than just the earlier short, but I feel that might work better animated rather than live-action). If I were to do some mining in there for live-action stuff, I'd say to revive the Order of the Seven project and maybe make a feature based on Casey at the Bat.
Ooh boy, one of the good faires going to sing a song about being popular isn't she?

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Ooh boy, one of the good faires going to sing a song about being popular isn't she?
Well, the plot of the film will be about Maleficent (who is a fairy) being in pursuit of acceptance then having a fall into darkness, so...:whistling:

Also, Angelina Jolie will be playing Maleficent.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Does anyone know if they are still doing that Gargoyles movie? You know, the one that ISN'T about the cult favorite franchise they already own for some reason?

Honestly, the thing that most interests me of the batch is Cinderella (although I wouldn't mind a full-length Disney film of Wind in the Willows rather than just the earlier short, but I feel that might work better animated rather than live-action). If I were to do some mining in there for live-action stuff, I'd say to revive the Order of the Seven project and maybe make a feature based on Casey at the Bat .
I have NEVER seen a bad live action adaption of the Wind in the Willows. Here's a clip of the 1996 Terry Jones one, though I prefer the one with Bob Hoskins.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Does anyone know if they are still doing that Gargoyles movie? You know, the one that ISN'T about the cult favorite franchise they already own for some reason?

I have NEVER seen a bad live action adaption of the Wind in the Willows. Here's a clip of the 1996 Terry Jones one, though I prefer the one with Bob Hoskins.
Nothing else is really happening with that Gargoyles movie. I'll have to keep an eye out for the one with Bob Hoskins. The Terry Jones one was enjoyable, I just wouldn't mind a full-length animated adaptation of the story from Disney.

By the way, there's a whole new wave of Mickey Mouse shorts on the way. Here's the first of them, entitled Croissant de Triomphe.
http://video.disney.com/watch/croissant-de-triomphe-4d7b3aae690a98650d776d97

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Nothing else is really happening with that Gargoyles movie. I'll have to keep an eye out for the one with Bob Hoskins. The Terry Jones one was enjoyable, I just wouldn't mind a full-length animated adaptation of the story from Disney.
If you live in the US and have Starz/Encore, I know they show the Bob Hoskins one all the time. This is the one I'm talking about.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

...wait Disney is making a movie about Gargoyles and it has nothing to do with the show? What next, a movie called Kim Possible thats about a pharmacologist who sees ghosts? Because that would be weird.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

...wait Disney is making a movie about Gargoyles and it has nothing to do with the show? What next, a movie called Kim Possible thats about a pharmacologist who sees ghosts? Because that would be weird.
There are things called gargoyles besides the characters in the Disney cartoon.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

There are things called gargoyles besides the characters in the Disney cartoon.
That's not the point. The point is that Disney hasn't done shit with Gargoyles as a franchise, aside from nightly airings of the series on Disney XD (which they might not be doing anymore) and a short lived comic (ended because Disney wanted a ridiculous licensing fee from Weisman). You can't even get all the series on DVD because Disney won't release it. This is despite it being one of the most critically acclaimed series they've ever had.

So why would they just get rid of all that instead of rebooting the series for a new audience?

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

That's not the point. The point is that Disney hasn't done shit with Gargoyles as a franchise, aside from nightly airings of the series on Disney XD (which they might not be doing anymore) and a short lived comic (ended because Disney wanted a ridiculous licensing fee from Weisman). You can't even get all the series on DVD because Disney won't release it. This is despite it being one of the most critically acclaimed series they've ever had.

So why would they just get rid of all that instead of rebooting the series for a new audience?
Even as a kid, I could tell that Gargoyles was rife with sexual tension. Even little kid poe thought that Goliath and Elisa should just fuck and get it over with.

And Demona gave me strange feelings as a kid. This.. probably actually explains a lot.

Goliath had a similar effect for a friend of mine.

Basically, that cartoon gave everyone that watched it weird fetishes.

linglingface

linglingface

I might have a problem. I can't stop watching Wreck-It Ralph. So far, 6 times in 5 days since purchasing... I'm gonna go watch it again now while I sew some things.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Congratulations, you have just described every cartoon that has ever been made.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Congratulations, you have just described every cartoon that has ever been made.
After watching Captain Planet I developed a thing for well-built blue men.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

This is the reason the Great Mouse Detective and Robin Hood don't get much play anymore: GMD has that burlesque scene with the mice and Robin Hood has foxes doin' romantic stuff.

I'm also betting they don't talk much about how Lexington is gay, despite Weisman confirming it.

Gusto

Gusto

After watching Captain Planet I developed a thing for well-built blue men.
How many times did you see Avatar?

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Or the Blue Man Group?

bhamv3

bhamv3

Not that many, surprisingly. It's like watching porn; even if you find blonde women in handcuffs to be a turn-on, you're not going to put on the Blu-Ray of Depraved Dungeons 6 every day after you get home from work.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

figmentPez

figmentPez

After Ever After - A parody song telling the tales of what happened after Disney's animated movies were over.

Frank

Frank

I still send an email every once in a while asking for Season 2 Vol. 2 just so they don't forget that people want it.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

YES! Frikkin' love Gravity Falls! I also heard they had enough material for three seasons, so if they had to rush all the secrets of Gravity falls in one season I would be peeved.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Got Who Framed Roger Rabbit on Blu-Ray yesterday. Man, that film still holds up and is still such a quality picture, in terms of story and technical achievement.

evilmike

evilmike

Huh.

November 25th, 2015 (via AICN)

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

No way. That has to be an April Fool's thing.

Reverent-one

Reverent-one

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I was surprised too, but it seems Ellen Degeneres is on board, which is fantastic if all true. Time will tell.

Disappointing, however, that they are formulaically sequelling all viable Pixar IP though. On the other hand, I enjoyed but didn't absolutely love Brave, so I can understand they are going back to the well for less profitable but less risky projects.

Who is going to take up the leadership mantle and drive them the same way Pixar was driven with the napkin films?
I think the problem is that the really good films (Wally, Up, Ratatouille, The Incredibles) did well in the box office but did shit in merchandising. This isn't to say they were bombs or anything, far from it. But the company still needs to bring in boatloads of cash to operate how they do and the shareholders are getting kind of antsy since Lasseter failed to make the Disney developed stuff as good as the Pixar stuff.

What -I- want to know is if this means Inside Out is being cancelled or pushed back to do Finding Dory.

As for sequels... Toy Story 4 is supposedly greenlit and in production (according to Tom Hanks anyway) and there is talk of an Incredibles sequel. I'd love to see that...

As for the untitled movie about the Mexican Day of the Dead that we know nothing about? Well, considering Disney owns Lucasfilm and Lucasarts now... I'd love to see them do it in the style of Grim Fandango.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

As for sequels... Toy Story 4 is supposedly greenlit and in production (according to Tom Hanks anyway)
OH COME ON.

The trilogy ended. It was perfect. They said that was going to be the last one. Fucking hell. Yeah, I liked the new characters from Toy Story 3, but there is really nowhere left to go with this.

and there is talk of an Incredibles sequel. I'd love to see that...
Something more meritorious of a sequel than Monsters Inc, Finding Nemo, or Cars.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Finding Nemo is a GREAT movie. Easily in my Top 5 Pixar movies. I just don't think it needs a sequel because it ended perfectly. Monsters Inc. was a great movie too, but I really don't care too much about what Mike and Sully did during college. I'd much rather have it be about the existence of monsters being leaked to the human world when a monster gets trapped on the human side of the door.

Cars didn't need a sequel, let alone 2 of them.

As for Toy Story... yeah, I could see at least one more movie. Woody and Buzz have to get used to being owned by a girl, which is counter to everything they've ever experience in life. Girls are also much more capricious with their toys so there is a much smaller chance they'll be around long enough to see her grow up. Dealing with girl issues, which is a lot different than boy stuff. There's stuff there to work with. The real question is does the story need to go on and I'm not sure it does.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Cars didn't need a sequel, let alone 2 of them.

As for Toy Story... yeah, I could see at least one more movie. Woody and Buzz have to get used to being owned by a girl, which is counter to everything they've ever experience in life. Girls are also much more capricious with their toys so there is a much smaller chance they'll be around long enough to see her grow up. Dealing with girl issues, which is a lot different than boy stuff. There's stuff there to work with. The real question is does the story need to go on and I'm not sure it does.
I disagree on Cars. Fun world they built, expanded in the second and I think that looking at the Planes will be interesting.

Toy Story, to me, is done. Doesn't need any other sequel.

CrimsonSoul

CrimsonSoul

Want the last cars movie just a long car insurance commercial?

Bellygrub

Bellygrub

Here's the Planes voice cast and character breakdown:
http://land.allears.net/blogs/dnews/2013/03/disneys_planes_reveals_full_vo_1.html

I didn't realize it was going to be about racing. :/

Bubble181

Bubble181

I didn't realize it was going to be about racing. :/
In contrast to Cars, about car races, and Cars 2, about world wide car racing? Yeah, I was astonished too :p

I never really liked Cars and I think Cars 2 is as meh as any other Disney direct-to-DVD-sequel, but my 6-year-old cousin and his friends, along with every other 4-to-8-year-old I've met the past few years have been crazy about Cars, so....Yeah. Very much a Disney franchise aimed at younger boys (mostly) and very successful in what it wants to do. I don't mind at all, on the contrary, but I don't expect to love Planes.

Azurephoenix

Azurephoenix

I don't think there should be another Toy Story. Toy Story 3 ended in such an awesome hearfelt way I don't see them coming anywhere near it.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Cars is a really good Paul Newman movie, a sort of The Color of Money but animated and about cars. The epiphanies carry the film, and it ends up being less of a film about a car and more a parable of personal growth.

--Patrick

evilmike

evilmike

Cars is a really good Paul Newman movie, a sort of The Color of Money but animated and about cars. The epiphanies carry the film, and it ends up being less of a film about a car and more a parable of personal growth.

--Patrick
I also really like Cars. It has a lot of great moments and solid voice work.

Cars 2 should have been a buddy comedy between two spy cars -- voiced by Michael Caine and Bruce Campbell -- which just happened to be set in the same world as the first movie.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

...Finding Dory is real? Huh. Hope it'll be good.

And I as well hope that Toy Story 4 doesn't happen, Toy Story 3 was the logical closure point it doesn't need a fourth. But if it turns out to be good I'll be happy to eat crow.

And as for Incredibles 2 I say- FIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINally. Been waiting for that schniz for years.

Bubble181

Bubble181

If any of you would feel like signing and passing on this petition, it would be nice:
https://www.change.org/petitions/disney-say-no-to-the-merida-makeover-keep-our-hero-brave

--> Basically, the princess in Brave who was very unprincessy, is being redesigned to be more princess-like, so as to "fit in" with the other princess figures for marketing and toy development and such.

evilmike

evilmike

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

One does not merely walk into Epcot, for the Eye of Wazowski is always upon you.

MindDetective

MindDetective

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Hey there, folks. Thought I'd give this thread a Necro what with a new Disney animated film coming out soon.

Anyway, a quick recap on some Disney news:
- The trailer is out for Maleficent and it...looks uninspiring.

-More news has been coming out of a live-action Cinderella film, which will be directed by Kenneth Branagh. Casting for the film includes:
  • Lily James as Cinderella
  • Richard Madden (most of you know him as Robb Stark) as Prince Charming
  • Cate Blanchett as Lady Tremaine
  • Helena Bonham Carter as the Fairy Godmother
-It looks like there will be an animated series (most likely for Disney Junior or online) inspired by the ride It's a Small World. Believe it or not, they do not use the ride's song as the show's main theme.

Cajungal

Cajungal

I swear to god, if Carter plays a weird, quirky, pale-faced godmother with wild hair, I'm quitting her movies.

Bowielee

Bowielee

I swear to god, if Carter plays a weird, quirky, pale-faced godmother with wild hair, I'm quitting her movies.
Does she have any other look?

bhamv3

bhamv3

Does she have any other look?
helena.jpg

PatrThom

PatrThom

I swear to god, if Carter plays a weird, quirky, pale-faced godmother with wild hair and funky teeth, I'm quitting her movies.
FTFY

--Patrick

Bowielee

Bowielee

Again, I make the fatal mistake of scrolling all the way down to the comments.

First comment is that Sulu is racist because his skin is too yellow. :facepalm:

Shawn

Shawn

-It looks like there will be an animated series (most likely for Disney Junior or online) inspired by the ride It's a Small World. Believe it or not, they do not use the ride's song as the show's main theme.

This seems like a complete rehash of Little Einsteins (another Disney property), which I have the displeasure to watch over and over again as I'm a father of 4 year olds. Same concept. Bunch of multi-cultural kids flying around seeing the world.

evilmike

evilmike

Disney has put up almost all of Gargoyles on YouTube:
(via io9)

Gryfter

Gryfter

Disney has put up almost all of Gargoyles on YouTube:
(via io9)
Those are the good seasons too.

Frank

Frank

Not available in your country. Just like the second half of the season 2 dvds right Disney? Fuck you.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

I saw Maleficent today and, while I do have a lot of issues with it over in the movie review thread, I really dig this new cover of "Once Upon a Dream" by Lana Del Rey.

bhamv3

bhamv3

I saw Maleficent today and, while I do have a lot of issues with it over in the movie review thread, I really dig this new cover of "Once Upon a Dream" by Lana Del Rey.

I got chills...

Cajungal

Cajungal

Don't really care for it. I like that her voice is kind of old school, but I don't like the way they changed the tune on the line "seldom all they seem." Also she sounds a little bored.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Also she sounds a little bored.
That's a lot of her songs.

figmentPez

figmentPez

I liked Traci Hines' version as well:

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

I liked Traci Hines' version as well:

Nice. That version is also good. Honestly, I really like these slower, more melancholy versions over the original. Not that the original version is bad or anything, just I love the feel these covers bring.

PatrThom

PatrThom

The lyrics lend themselves to that sort of melancholy. It sounds almost like Elfman could have written it.

--Patrick

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

The lyrics lend themselves to that sort of melancholy. It sounds almost like Elfman could have written it.

--Patrick
Indeed. The lyrics do have a sad quality to them that a more melancholy sound works better for.

In the meantime, I'd like to say something. Although Maleficent may not have been executed well, I still think that there was an intriguing idea at its core. I am not opposed to the idea of giving a glance towards their animated films for potential live-action material. I'm all for their upcoming adaptation of Cinderella, which is being directed by Kenneth Branagh. Even the news of a new adaptation of The Jungle Book doesn't sound terrible, considering they could do more of a "coming-of-age" type story rather than the episodic approach of the animated film.

However, not everything needs to have a live-action update. There is word of a potential Cruella film, exploring her backstory (which I don't think is needed), and a live-action adaptation of Beauty and the Beast (which is especially not needed, considering how great the animated film is). Seriously, Disney, cool it. If you want to mine your animated work for live-action films, go for the things that could make do with an update or have a worthwhile angle for exploring it in live-action form.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I would love to see Cruella as like a horror movie in the vein of Damian... about how she grew up abusing animals and had all the signs of a potential serial killer, but instead just became a fashion designer... who's rivals would always just seem to disappear at the right moment. But I doubt Disney has the balls to do something that dark.

Cajungal

Cajungal

Man if a Cruella movie was as goofy as the Maleficent movie, her origin story would be "I got slighted and betrayed by the founder of PETA."

PatrThom

PatrThom

Man if a Cruella movie was as goofy as the Maleficent movie, her origin story would be "I got slighted and betrayed by the founder of PETA."
Her story could be that she is actually a jilted lover of Jenny McCarthy.
Just sayin'.

--Patrick

evilmike

evilmike

Gravity Falls returns!

Season 2 premieres on the Disney Channel on August 1 at 9pm. (via Twitter)

Episode 2 airs on Monday, August 4th at on Disney XD. (via Twitter)

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

YES! Everyone celebrate!

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Wait a minute...their showing two seperate episodes on two seperate channels? Uh...odd.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Wait a minute...their showing two seperate episodes on two seperate channels? Uh...odd.
It's not. I think Disney has finally decided to drop the bomb and is moving all animated stuff (that isn't their young children stuff) to Disney XD because it's on all the same cable packages as Disney now. This makes sense. Alternately, they are axing the show after this season, which should be apparent because they sure as fuck dragged their feet with it so far.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Yeah I figured as much, damn shame cos I've read that they had enough stuff for 3 seasons.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Yeah I figured as much, damn shame cos I've read that they had enough stuff for 3 seasons.
It did well enough to get a second season and that's with a shit time slot, constantly moving it around, and never advertising it. It might actually do BETTER on Disney XD.

Celt Z

Celt Z

Best news I've heard all day, and today was pretty awesome already!:D

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Regarding that earlier mention of a live-action Jungle Book film on the way from Disney, I've heard some news about. Firstly, it is being directed by Jon Favreau. As for the cast, Ionly know a few. Still, what I do know is that Idris Elba will voice Shere Khan, Scarlett Johansson will voice Kaa the python, and Sir Ben Kingsley will voice Bagheera the panther.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Why would you have Scarlett Johansson voice anything? Her speaking voice is the most monotone, boring thing about her. I don't care if they make Kaa a female, but they could at least get someone good instead of a famous name.

evilmike

evilmike

Why would you have Scarlett Johansson voice anything? Her speaking voice is the most monotone, boring thing about her. I don't care if they make Kaa a female, but they could at least get someone good instead of a famous name.
Considering the critical acclaim she received last year for her voice work in Her, I'm willing to give her the benefit of the doubt.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I thought there was already a good live-action Jungle Book? Maybe I'm thinking of Tarzan.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I thought there was already a good live-action Jungle Book? Maybe I'm thinking of Tarzan.
There was that older one with Sabu.

--Patrick

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

There was also one in the '90s, directed by Stephen Sommers. That one starred Jason Scott Lee, Cary Elwes, Sam Neill, and Lena Headey.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I deliberately did not reference that one.

--Patrick

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Really, Disney, really? Now they're looking at doing a live-action Dumbo.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=120315

At least it doesn't seem quite as dumb as the idea of making it a Broadway musical.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Really, Disney, really? Now they're looking at doing a live-action Dumbo.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=120315

At least it doesn't seem quite as dumb as the idea of making it a Broadway musical.
They made Lion King not only work as a musical, but as one of the better regarded ones.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

They made Lion King not only work as a musical, but as one of the better regarded ones.
Yeah, a lot of folks do hold that musical in good regard.

Still, Dumbo isn't one of those properties I see as really working as well in live-action.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I'd hate to be the teamster that has to stand under a baby elephant being swung around on a harness...

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

The do Finding Nemo as a musical and large puppet show in Animal Kingdom, I almost can't watch the movie now, I keep expecting songs that aren't there.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Dumbo isn't one of those properties I see as really working as well in live-action.

Soooooooooo close.

--Patrick

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Disney has made the cast announcement for their next animated film: Big Hero 6.

http://blogs.disney.com/insider/2014/07/14/big-hero-6-cast-announcement/

Celt Z

Celt Z

I don't know what kind of deal Disney made with Alan Tudyk, but they're getting some great voice acting out of him in their last few films.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I noticed the name, too. It just keeps popping up! Started paying attention after I got curious as to who did the Ed Wynn impression for King Candy in Wreck-It Ralph, and he just doesn't seem to be stopping.

--Patrick

Celt Z

Celt Z

I noticed the name, too. It just keeps popping up! Started paying attention after I got curious as to who did the Ed Wynn impression for King Candy in Wreck-It Ralph, and he just doesn't seem to be stopping.

--Patrick
Because you saw his name associated with it, or because you know Alan Tudyk from his live action work?

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

--Patrick
Well, Joss Whedon found a way to stop him.

Celt Z

Celt Z

Well, Joss Whedon found a way to stop him.
You can only slow Pirate Steve down, not truly stop him.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Because you saw his name associated with it, or because you know Alan Tudyk from his live action work?
No, I looked up who did the voice, and that was my first interest in the actor.

--Patrick

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

--Patrick
You mean you haven't seen... oh wait.

Celt Z

Celt Z

--Patrick
Ahhhh... got it. Well, if you like him, as we've indicated above, he's got a pretty well-known body of live action tv and film work. He's a pretty good character actor.

Just Me

Just Me

Ahhhh... got it. Well, if you like him, as we've indicated above, he's got a pretty well-known body of live action tv and film work. He's a pretty good character actor.
Tucker & Dale vs Evil
'nuff said
;)

BErt

My fandom for Alan Tyduk grew as you'd expect through A Knights Tale, Dodgeball, Firefly, Tucker & Dale...so it was a little jarring seeing his character in 42 :eek:

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

...And now, we have the first trailer for Big Hero 6.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Liking it so far.

Please be more Wreck-It Ralph than Frozen.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Liking it so far.

Please be more Wreck-It Ralph than Frozen.
Let it go.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Apparently, a feature film isn't the only thing Disney is doing with the Haunted Mansion. They're also developing an animated special for Disney Channel and Disney XD, with children's author Gris Grimly involved as an executive producer and art director.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/tvnews.php?id=120715

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

More casting news for The Jungle Book: Giancarlo Esposito will voice Akela and Christopher Walken will voice King Louie.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=121139

Gryfter

Gryfter

More casting news for The Jungle Book: Giancarlo Esposito will voice Akela and Christopher Walken will voice King Louie.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=121139
Can stop imagining Walken singing "I wanna be like you".

Covar

Covar

Pretty much been going through my head since I saw the announcement.

"Oh. Oobee. Doo. I...wanna be like..you."

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I hope Walken does MoCap for Louie, but it's only the dance from Weapon of Choice.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHNEWGRAVITYFALLSYESYESYES! Nick Offerman plays a secret government agent(plus for inside jokes), also
GRUNKLE STAN KICKS ZOMBIE ASS SQUEEEEEEEEEE!
Kinda wish my DVR didn't have that annoying habit of recording the end of a show I wasn't watching and cutting off the very end, but obviously it went online probably 20 seconds after it aired so I was able to catch the very end.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHNEWGRAVITYFALLSYESYESYES! Nick Offerman plays a secret government agent(plus for inside jokes), also
GRUNKLE STAN KICKS ZOMBIE ASS SQUEEEEEEEEEE!
Kinda wish my DVR didn't have that annoying habit of recording the end of a show I wasn't watching and cutting off the very end, but obviously it went online probably 20 seconds after it aired so I was able to catch the very end.
That's not your dvr doing that, it's the network playing with their timing to try to keep people from changing the channel. Just go into your settings and add a minute or two to the recording of the programs that you want it to record. My TiVo does that fairly easily and I do pad my recordings of shows that I want to make sure that I catch ALL of it.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Another addition has been made to the cast of The Jungle Book: Bill Murray as Baloo.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=121361

PatrThom

PatrThom

That's not your dvr doing that, it's the network playing with their timing to try to keep people from changing the channel.
They're doing it to punish the DVR and Tivo people. When they discovered that everybody was actually time-shifting rather than watching them as they aired, they started advancing/delaying shows by a hair to keep people from being able to record across channels without buying multiple DVRs.

--Patrick

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

They're doing it to punish the DVR and Tivo people. When they discovered that everybody was actually time-shifting rather than watching them as they aired, they started advancing/delaying shows by a hair to keep people from being able to record across channels without buying multiple DVRs.

--Patrick
Technology has already defeated them. 1 TiVo, 6 tuners. I own it.

The shifting of times for shows started long before dvrs were popular. I remember way back in the early 80s that it was being done, basically to keep you from seeing the opening of a show on another network and making it less likely for the average person to not change the channel.

My wife just made me set a season pass to record "Girl Meets World."

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Also apparently the first two episodes are on "Watch Disney XD", the second episode is also amazing.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Technology has already defeated them. 1 TiVo, 6 tuners. I own it.
Still, it amuses me that someone decided that this primitive form of Viewer DRM was necessary to encourage Vendor Lock-In and discourage channel-surfing.

--Patrick

figmentPez

figmentPez

Well, it wouldn't be the first time Walken has done a musical...

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

He's also going to be in an ABC channel live performance of the musical Peter Pan as Captain Hook later this year.

Just Me

Just Me

I cannot stop seeing an image of King Louie saying. "We need more cowbells!"

PatrThom

PatrThom

I cannot stop seeing an image of King Louie saying. "We need more cowbells!"
And you thought all he was after was the secret of Man's red fire.

--Patrick

Covar

Covar

The shifting of times for shows started long before dvrs were popular. I remember way back in the early 80s that it was being done, basically to keep you from seeing the opening of a show on another network and making it less likely for the average person to not change the channel.
TBS used to schedule everything at X:05 and X:35

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Considering the pattern, I'm guessing 2015 we'll get another Disney princess?

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Considering the pattern, I'm guessing 2015 we'll get another Disney princess?
Actually, it looks like it may be later than that. It doesn't look like there will be a Disney entry for 2015.

What looks to be the next Disney Princess film is Moana, which is currently in development. The idea of the film is that it is centered around Moana Waialiki, the daughter of a chief from a long line of ocean navigators. When her family ends up in trouble, she goes on a journey to save them. Apparently, they'll be drawing a lot from Polynesian mythology for the film.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Actually, it looks like it may be later than that. It doesn't look like there will be a Disney entry for 2015.

What looks to be the next Disney Princess film is Moana, which is currently in development. The idea of the film is that it is centered around Moana Waialiki, the daughter of a chief from a long line of ocean navigators. When her family ends up in trouble, she goes on a journey to save them. Apparently, they'll be drawing a lot from Polynesian mythology for the film.
So odds are, it'll be a good movie that under-performs, like The Princess and the Frog, and we can get another Frozen after that.

PatrThom

PatrThom

So odds are, it'll be a good movie that under-performs, like The Princess and the Frog, and we can get another Frozen after that.
They own Star Wars, but they do movies like Star Trek, I guess. Only the even-numbered ones are good.

--Patrick

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

On the other hand, it could be like Mulan, be generally regarded as one of the stronger films of it's era and make a shit ton of money for everyone involved thank to extremely strong international sales and word of mouth.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

On the other hand, it could be like Mulan, be generally regarded as one of the stronger films of it's era and make a shit ton of money for everyone involved thank to extremely strong international sales and word of mouth.
Maybe.

Hopefully all the girls don't look like Rapunzel.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

So...has anyone been watching Phineas and Ferb, because it sounds like they've got some weird crossovers on the way.

Firstly, Simon Pegg and Nick Frost will be reprising their roles as Shaun and Ed for an upcoming episode. Now, I've read reports that they'll be doing a crossover with Lost, with Damon Lindelof co-writing and Terry O'Quinn guest-starring as John Locke.

Gryfter

Gryfter

So...has anyone been watching Phineas and Ferb, because it sounds like they've got some weird crossovers on the way.

Firstly, Simon Pegg and Nick Frost will be reprising their roles as Shaun and Ed for an upcoming episode. Now, I've read reports that they'll be doing a crossover with Lost, with Damon Lindelof co-writing and Terry O'Quinn guest-starring as John Locke.
Their take on Star Wars was really fun too.

Celt Z

Celt Z

I enjoy Phineas and Ferb a lot more than I thought I would. While every episode has a strict formula, it's what they do within that formula that makes it funny. They also have some pretty clever songs. I still crack-up at the episode when they travel around the world to have the longest summer day, and when they stop in Japan everyone is Caramel Dancing.

The one with the Marvel cross-over was pretty damn funny, too.

evilmike

evilmike

Not to be confused with the horror that is Scientifically Accurate Duck Tales, here is the Duck Tales opening, recreated using real ducks...

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Don't forget this classic:

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

The Maelstrom attraction at Epcot, located in the Norway pavilion, is being closed down and replaced with an attraction based on Frozen.

Fun Size

Fun Size

Having ridden that one a year ago (twice by popular demand), I can say it was kind of due for an update. Of course, there's going to be angry, bearded Norwegians, but the throngs of fanatical little girls will drown them out.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

My wife and I went on that one, and though I enjoyed the Norway-themed gift shop more than the actual ride, replacing it with Frozen is just wrong. That's not even the right part of Epcot for that shit. The entrance area is for all the kiddy movie-themed shit, while the other side is where they have the world village. There shouldn't be movie stuff on that side of Epcot. Don't they have room in Magic Kingdom for Frozen garbage?

And I'm not saying this just because I don't like that movie; I love Tangled and I'd be pissed if they decided to change the Germany section into Rapunzel-land.

Celt Z

Celt Z

It wouldn't be the first time they did that. When I was there in 2005, the French pavilion had a heavy dose of Beauty and the Beast all over it, and the Chinese pavilion was heavily pushing Mulan. If they have a movie that strongly ties in with that country/culture, they put it in. (Or so I've seen.)

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

It wouldn't be the first time they did that. When I was there in 2005, the French pavilion had a heavy dose of Beauty and the Beast all over it, and the Chinese pavilion was heavily pushing Mulan. If they have a movie that strongly ties in with that country/culture, they put it in. (Or so I've seen.)
I was there in 2011 and I didn't see any Beauty and the Beast stuff in the French area. Don't remember the Chinese part though.

Celt Z

Celt Z

I was there in 2011 and I didn't see any Beauty and the Beast stuff in the French area. Don't remember the Chinese part though.
Unless they changed it, which is possible, because I've got pictures of both. (which I'd need to scan). I don't blame people on their Frozen fatigue, but this isn't a new thing for Epcot to do.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Unless they changed it, which is possible, because I've got pictures of both. (which I'd need to scan). I don't blame people on their Frozen fatigue, but this isn't a new thing for Epcot to do.
Then maybe by the time I get back there, it'll be gone. I hope.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

They've probably stopping the pushing of Beauty and the Beast in Epcot, now that they have the updates to Fantasyland over at Magic Kingdom. The updates there include two different Beauty and the Beast-themed restaurants, Be Our Guest and Gaston's Tavern, and a show attraction called Enchanted Tales with Belle.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Belle has a character meet & greet in France (also on rotation, Beast & Marie from Aristocats). Mulan has a M&G in the China pavilion.

Then maybe by the time I get back there, it'll be gone. I hope.
Probably not, this is a construction project and not an overlay for Maelstrom, they plan on this being in place for several years. Norway has one of the largest "Disney" presence footprints in Epcot's World Showcase, with Akershus restaurant hosting a princess breakfast each day (Snow White, Cinderella, Belle, Aurora, Ariel and Mary Poppins) and I expect that Elsa and Anna will be added with a drop of a couple of the other characters.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Uggghhh ...

I didn't consider the character presences to be a problem; but at the front of Epcot they have these different themed buildings that are set in stone. If the Frozen one will be like that, that sucks.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Uggghhh ...

I didn't consider the character presences to be a problem; but at the front of Epcot they have these different themed buildings that are set in stone. If the Frozen one will be like that, that sucks.
I don't think it will be a huge distraction to Norway. Probably not a sign much different (size-wise) than Maelstrom has had for years.

I don't think that anything is really "safe" from being changed in the Future World at EPCOT. Test Track just had a big overhaul, Mars was changed a few years back, Soarin' added to The Land about the same time. The Seas has the Finding Nemo entrance, but that can be skipped by going in the gift shop near Coral Reef, also Turtle Talk with Crush in there. Personally I think it's time to do something else with "Honey, I shrunk the Audience." and "Capt. Eo."

There is the old Horizons building that needs something done in it again, and honestly I hope the rumors of some new countries in World Showcase come to pass in the next few years. EPCOT does seem to be the "next on the list" part of changes coming up. Animal Kingdom is in the process of building the Avatar attraction area, Downtown Disney is in process of being changed to Disney Springs, Magic Kingdom just had the huge Fantasyland expansion and Hollywood Studios is plotting their expansion of the Star Wars presence.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I'm not saying Disney can't change; my wife and I just really loved the World Showcase and I don't want to see it turn into advertising for the movies. I get that it's not popular with kids, but there's the rest of the park for that.

Dei

Dei

I'm still mad about the Journey Into Imagination revamp.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Do you mean the first revamp, where they stripped out all of the good stuff and made it bland, or the second one where they put Figment back in but still kept the stuff about the Imagination Institute? Either way, I do agree that it lost something when they took out the full scope of the Imagination Realm and removed Dreamfinder. At least Marvel has a comic book out that explores the backstory of Dreamfinder and Figment, which has apparently been getting good reviews.

By the way, has anyone had the opportunity to check out Haunted Mansion Holiday over in Disneyland? From October through December, they make over Haunted Mansion with the plot that Jack Skellington has arrived to share his brand of Christmas cheer.

figmentPez

figmentPez

The hands on activities used to feel a lot more Disney. When I was there 4 years ago, it just felt like cheap computerized gimmicks. It didn't feel like any more imagination than I could get on an old desktop computer. The older stuff from my youth wasn't as high tech, but it felt more magical, and bigger. And that's not just a kid, because the last time I saw that exhibit I was 16, and didn't spend much time on it because it was old hat. However, that didn't stop me from seeing why it was such a well done exhibit. What I saw from the "Imagination Institute" felt like an imitation factory with cheap and limited computer applications to play with. (A good science or children's museum does that much better.) The original exhibit felt more like it was a dream. More rounded edges and dark voids to fill with color.

I'd love to see that pavillion revamped again. This time with a focus on the fantastical side of imagination, which has every much a right to be part of EPCOT as does the more mechanical side of technology.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Well, the news of a Frozen attraction in the Norway opinion has certainly riled some folks up. A hashtag has turned up on Twitter known as #BelieveInEpcot. People are using to show their support towards the original idea of Epcot as a non-fiction theme park.

Here is an article from Theme Park Insider founder and editor Robert Niles talking about the hashtag and his thoughts on the matter: http://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/201409/4226/

Fun Size

Fun Size

Hrm. One wonders what Captain EO and Figment would say about that.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

The only sure thing about ANY changes at a Disney Park are how many people will get riled up about it and claim that it's ruining the park. Doesn't matter if it's as simple as changing the sponsor (or even the color) at an attraction to closing and changing a ride or parade.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Hrm. One wonders what Captain EO and Figment would say about that.
I'm not sure how these folks would justify Captain EO, but I think they'd give a pass on Figment because, while the stuff with him and Dreamfinder is fictional, it has a specific rooting in the real-world idea of imagination and promoting it.

Honestly, I'm not among the incensed, but I understand the sentiment. A lot of the design and mythology featured in Frozen is inspired by Norwegian architecture and culture, so it does at least make some sense to appear in the Norway pavilion. Secondly, Maelstrom was an alright ride, but it's not like it was a crown jewel of Epcot. Also, it's not this is the first time Disney's made use of their characters in the World Showcase portion of Epcot. Over in the Mexico pavilion, they have a dark ride called Gran Fiesta Tour, which has the three Caballeros going around and showing off Mexican culture. However, the fact of the matter is that Arendelle is a fictional setting, so it would seem off to have a ride with a fictional country be put into a pavilion rooted in the real world. Still, Epcot has always had a bit of a challenge in realizing its identity. Maybe some quality updates (like an overhaul of the Imagination Pavilion, like figmentPez mentioned) might be needed to get to Epcot's potential, which is the potential for offering engaging entertainment that also teaches you something.

figmentPez

figmentPez

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

A new trailer has been released for Big Hero 6.

Shakey

Shakey

It would be nice to see what they are planning for the ride first. They already have a Frozen exhibit in the Norway area that ties in with the history of Norway. My guess is they'll do something similar, so it's not that bad.

Dei

Dei

Everything about that comic is true. Fastpasses are the greatest thing ever, and I don't even care that I'm spending more because it means I get to *see* the park instead of lines.

Fun Size

Fun Size

I kept both my and my wife's Magic Bands and souvenirs, and just wear them as bracelets. I actually use them to remind myself that, at its best, technology should work well enough that it seems like magic. (Hard to make accounting software seem magical, but it's a goal, right?)

Terrik

Terrik

I kept both my and my wife's Magic Bands and souvenirs, and just wear them as bracelets. I actually use them to remind myself that, at its best, technology should work well enough that it seems like magic. (Hard to make accounting software seem magical, but it's a goal, right?)
Accounting software seems all like runes and mystical script to me.

Shakey

Shakey

I actually use them to remind myself that, at its best, technology should work well enough that it seems like magic.
And get you to spend more money!

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Here is the teaser trailer for Pixar's next film, Inside Out.

bhamv3

bhamv3

Here is the teaser trailer for Pixar's next film, Inside Out.

Oh c'mon, they used a clip from Up for sadness! That's practically cheating! Now I'm sad...

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

We've got our first teaser trailer now for Tomorrowland.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

The current rumor for Tomorrowland is that it's basically a less harsh Ayn Rand for the science fair folks.

Thread Necromancer

Thread Necromancer

This feels like a suitable place to put this...

Spoilered because some may consider it NSFW, though no more so than any other music video these days.

evilmike

evilmike

John Lasseter will direct 'Toy Story 4' -- in theaters June 16, 2017

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

aaronmocksing

aaronmocksing

Toy Story 4, then Cars 3, then Monsters Retirement Home... actually, that last one doesn't sound half bad, lol.

Brave And Braver. :rimshot:

figmentPez

figmentPez

Since this is, at least technically, Disney news now:

George Lucas directing producing "Strange Magic" a 3D animated musical based on A Midsummer Night's Dream.

I have no words.

EDIT: Producing, not directing. I actually have some hope this could be good, now.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

The Great Movie Ride over at Disney's Hollywood Studios has a new sponsor to help keep it going: Turner Classic Movies. In exchange, TCM will get access to old episodes of "Disneyland" and "Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color" to show on their channel.

http://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/201411/4311/

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

I saw this news last night, but felt so horrible sick that I couldn't concentrate enough to post about it. I didn't read that article, but this is the reason that they are taking down the Sorcerer's Hat in front of the theater at Hollywood Studios, which in turn uncovers the largest hidden mickey that exists at WDW.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

The Great Movie Ride over at Disney's Hollywood Studios has a new sponsor to help keep it going: Turner Classic Movies. In exchange, TCM will get access to old episodes of "Disneyland" and "Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color" to show on their channel.

http://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/201411/4311/
Too bad Dish Network doesn't show anything Turner anymore. Fucking fuckers.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Just to be clear, I'm not disagreeing with you about Dish. Just wanted to make sure you knew they were back for at least a little while.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Just to be clear, I'm not disagreeing with you about Dish. Just wanted to make sure you knew they were back for at least a little while.
Oh, I know. And I'm glad it's back, I didn't even know, as I haven't tried tuning into those channels and I don't even really watch a lot of tv, but I did miss having cartoon network on in the background. I just wanted to take an extra moment to point out that they're still fucking fuckers. The fucking fuckers. :p

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Until Charlie Ergen gets in yet another pissing match with the program providers.

Is it just me, or does Dish get into these disputes more than DirecTV and the major cable companies combined?

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Until Charlie Ergen gets in yet another pissing match with the program providers.

Is it just me, or does Dish get into these disputes more than DirecTV and the major cable companies combined?
It's almost like they're... well, you already know what I'm going to call them.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

It's almost like they're... well, you already know what I'm going to call them.
Is it singular or plural? Charlie Ergen's the only one I'm aware of that's the sole public face of any of these companies.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Is it singular or plural? Charlie Ergen's the only one I'm aware of that's the sole public face of any of these companies.
He is both a single person, and such a fucker that he's multiple fuckers. Hence becoming a fucking fuckers.

But they're the only source for TV where I live, and directv can't give me networks like fox or nbc for whatever weird reason.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

But they're the only source for TV where I live, and directv can't give me networks like fox or nbc for whatever weird reason.
That's odd. If you can receive those networks from Dish, there shouldn't be any reason why DirecTV wouldn't provide them. Unless the station ownership was in a dispute with DirecTV. In which case, they could provide the national feeds out of NYC or LA.

There was a time when you had to receive waivers from local stations to receive the networks from a satellite provider (one station sent an engineer to my house with an antenna and a meter before they'de sign off). Now that those stations are on satellite, they're not required as often.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Celt Z

Celt Z

I expect to see Riff Raff open that door.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Disney XD has picked up a new animated series. The show is called Very Important House, with the premise being about a 12-year old girl who moves into the titular house and ends up becoming caretaker of the universe. The show's creator is Jhonen Vasquez.

http://comicbook.com/blog/2014/07/1...ery-important-house-from-jhonen-vasquez-inva/

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Disney XD has picked up a new animated series. The show is called Very Important House, with the premise being about a 12-year old girl who moves into the titular house and ends up becoming caretaker of the universe. The show's creator is Jhonen Vasquez.

http://comicbook.com/blog/2014/07/1...ery-important-house-from-jhonen-vasquez-inva/
YES! Jhonen is back to television! Also I learned there is a possibility of a Johnny the Homicidal maniac animated feature, which fills me with glee.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I'm trying to figure out what channel would show JtHM. It'd have to be Adult Swim, nobody else could get away with all the swearing and gore, and I don't see Vasquez as the kind of guy to bend to censorship.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I'm trying to figure out what channel would show JtHM. It'd have to be Adult Swim, nobody else could get away with all the swearing and gore, and I don't see Vasquez as the kind of guy to bend to censorship.
Considering they air Black Dynamite which can be borderline pornagraphic, best bet.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

There are actually other channels trying to get their own late night blocks off the ground... so it could be doomed to die somewhere else.

chris

chris

Wasn't working with Nickelodeon a really bad expirence for him? And now he work with Disney?

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Wasn't working with Nickelodeon a really bad expirence for him? And now he work with Disney?

Yeah's been working with them for a while, does the character designs for that Randy Cunningham show.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

The problem with Nickelodeon is that he gave them exactly what they asked for, which resulted in something they didn't feel comfortable showing on TV until it reached cult status. Apparently they didn't know what he was famous for when they reached out to him, or at least the border didn't.

Disney is actually getting more relaxed after the success of Gravity Falls. You can get away with A LOT if you are a proven quantity.

figmentPez

figmentPez

What the hell did I just watch?

PatrThom

PatrThom

What the hell did I just watch?
A CGI video game advert.

--Patrick

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Bubble181

Bubble181

Apparently Emma Watson's going to play Belle.

http://blogs.disney.com/oh-my-disne...disney-princess-emma-watson-is-about-to-play/

Knowing absolutely nothing else about this movie, I'm at least cautiously optimistic over a good choice of lead actress.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

While Disney is pretty busy with getting all sorts of Star Wars stuff off the ground, they haven't forgotten about Lucasfilm's other big property: Indiana Jones. Apparently, Disney and Lucasfilm may be looking at Chris Pratt to headline the Indiana Jones franchise.

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/403673-chris-pratt-sought-for-indiana-jones-reboot

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

While Disney is pretty busy with getting all sorts of Star Wars stuff off the ground, they haven't forgotten about Lucasfilm's other big property: Indiana Jones. Apparently, Disney and Lucasfilm may be looking at Chris Pratt to headline the Indiana Jones franchise.

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/403673-chris-pratt-sought-for-indiana-jones-reboot
Chris Pratt needs to take a year or two off, or he's going to get thrown into the pit with Adam Sandler, Jim Carrey and the other overexposed comic actors that couldn't say no.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Chris Pratt needs to take a year or two off, or he's going to get thrown into the pit with Adam Sandler, Jim Carrey and the other overexposed comic actors that couldn't say no.
Hard to say no when it's $20 million a pop thrown your way.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

But he's not taking on comedy roles, he's taking on adventure movie roles. He's on his way to being a movie star and he'd be wise to take every big option he gets. He had two movies last year, and both were hits. There's a demand for him right now and with Parks and Rec ending, he's going to have nothing but time to cultivate that popularity.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Huge news for Disneyland last night, new parade, new fireworks and new World of Color shows starting May 22. Now I have to pray for a "soft opening" May 21 to see the new WoC show.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/

Celt Z

Celt Z

But he's not taking on comedy roles, he's taking on adventure movie roles. He's on his way to being a movie star and he'd be wise to take every big option he gets. He had two movies last year, and both were hits. There's a demand for him right now and with Parks and Rec ending, he's going to have nothing but time to cultivate that popularity.
True, but he also has Jurassic Park coming out shortly, too. I like Christ Pratt, but I don't want it to be another Benedict Cumberbatch situation where it becomes, "Him, again?!?".

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

I just discovered a webcomic from tumblr called Pocket Princesses.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

There's a new trailer for Cinderella.

Just Me

Just Me

I like what I see there, a lot!

This might become a tough fight for my new favourite Cinderella movie. So far number one is Ever After, just for the brilliantly evil Anjelica Houston nd the whacky Leonardo Da Vinci 'fairy godmother'.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

I like what I see there, a lot!

This might become a tough fight for my new favourite Cinderella movie. So far number one is Ever After, just for the brilliantly evil Anjelica Houston nd the whacky Leonardo Da Vinci 'fairy godmother'.
I agree. This adaptation of Cinderella looks really promising, and I'm liking a lot of the ideas they seem to be going with to expand on the story. I'm not such a fan of Disney's original animated film (though I do like some of the creative choices they used in that telling), and while I'm not wild about Disney's recent trend of doing live-action films based on their animated one, Cinderella is one that looks like it has the potential to really work wonders.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

There's a new trailer for Cinderella.

KING OF THE NORTH!

Eriol

Eriol

This seemed the most appropriate thread: This is Not a Drill: We’re Getting New DuckTales in 2017!

They're making new episodes. This is from a blog on the official Disney site. So yay!

And the theme song is way WAY too catchy. Even today.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Man, I keep crossing DuckTales in my head with Talespin.

evilmike

evilmike

Man, I keep crossing DuckTales in my head with Talespin.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

This seemed the most appropriate thread: This is Not a Drill: We’re Getting New DuckTales in 2017!

They're making new episodes. This is from a blog on the official Disney site. So yay!

And the theme song is way WAY too catchy. Even today.
Honestly, I just hope this manages to be as fun as the first series, or even capture the same spirit as the old Carl Barks comics.

Also, I sort of wonder if they'll do anything with John D. Rockerduck. He was an enemy of Scrooge in the comics and, in some parts of the world, is considered to be his arch enemy (moreso in Latin America and Europe). While he is another rich duck rival (like Flintheart Glomgold), he's a younger guy who was born into his wealth and has a "spend money to make money" mentality in comparison to Scrooge McDuck's thrifty nature.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Also, it could just be me, but I can't help smiling at Guillermo del Toro's utter joy while riding the Radiator Springs Racers ride at Disney's California Adventure.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Tim Burton to Direct Live-Action ‘Dumbo’ for Disney
Just "no".

The article said:
Ehren Kruger, who wrote the last three “Transformers” movies, recently turned in a draft.
An even more emphatic "HELL NO!"

PatrThom

PatrThom

Aw, but now we won't get Johnny Depp playing the part of Timothy Q. Mouse.

--Patrick

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Or Helena Bonham Carter as Dumbo's mom or something.

Also, they take the writer who gave us the two most racially stereotypically offensive Transformers a human being can think of, and you let him write a script for a movie that includes what many already consider as offensively racially stereotypical crows? Yeah, this will end well.

Bowielee

Bowielee

Or Helena Bonham Carter as Dumbo's mom or something.

Also, they take the writer who gave us the two most racially stereotypically offensive Transformers a human being can think of, and you let him write a script for a movie that includes what many already consider as offensively racially stereotypical crows? Yeah, this will end well.
He's named JIM CROW, for chrissake.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Disneyland announced today that to kick off their 60th Anniversary events they will have a 24 hour event on May 22-23. That happens to be the last night/day of our Disneyland vacation. I am really happy that I have three days to recover once we leave.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

...Ugh.

Once again, not every film in the Disney Animated Canon needs to be revisited with a live-action film. In fact, while I'm not wild about Disney mining their animated work as a way to find material for their live-action films, I can at least abide it if they adapt stuff that would not only work in a live-action form, but also be able to offer something good in the execution. Alice in Wonderland was bland and boring, and Maleficent was just weird in how it was a big "screw you" essentially to Sleeping Beauty.

Which reminds me, I'll be seeing Cinderella this Friday. I'll post my review of it in this thread. Early buzz thus far has been very positive.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I wonder how Burton will shoehorn daddy issues into Dumbo?

Dei

Dei

How hard could it be? I mean, Dumbo was raised by the circus after his mother went to jail for defending her child as a single mother.

Bowielee

Bowielee

How hard could it be? I mean, Dumbo was raised by the circus after his mother went to jail for defending her child as a single mother.
Hey, I was going to say that :p

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

I know I said I was going to see it Friday, but I just got back from seeing Cinderella tonight. I thought it was utterly wonderful.

First, let me get it out of the way: this is no deconstruction. This is no revisionist take. This is no modern spin on the story. This is a classic, traditional adaptation of a fairy tale. And it does so with conviction of heart. There are no winks, no nudges about its fairy tale nature. This adaptation clings to the magic of sincere belief in its story and it works all the more for it. Even better is how it adds to the story not by necessarily throwing some big change into it, but rather in how it showcases the characters and their interactions. We see how the Prince can fall for Cinderella after a brief meeting with her in the woods, by how she is kind and sincere, which is a major change from the shallow princesses the Grand Duke wants him to marry. We see how Cinderella, even though she goes about doing housework while heaped with abuse from Lady Tremaine, keeps herself up by making the most of a bad situation and following through with trying to treat others with kindness and not giving in to fear. We even see twinges of backstory for Lady Tremaine, offering a shadow of sympathy even with how cruel she is. The adaptation may be traditional, but it offers substance for the characters.

Even better is how the cast and crew play ball with capturing that joy and love. The film is wonderfully shot, the sets and costumes and beautiful with a life and color akin to the old Technicolor visuals, and the cast is high wattage. From Lily James and her quiet strength as Cinderella to Cate Blanchett and her sorrowful yet cold bitterness as Lady Tremaine, the cast is game for working with this story. It is like all members were tuned together in capturing the magic of this fairy tale, all under the directing work of Kenneth Branagh.

It may be traditional. It may be old-fashioned. However, this adaptation of Cinderella captures the heart and magic of what can make a fairy tale so...well, magical.

bhamv3

bhamv3

I wonder how Burton will shoehorn daddy issues into Dumbo?
One day, Dumbo is spotted flying around by a bull elephant from another circus, who recognizes Dumbo as his son. The two have a joyful reunion. But Dumbo's father disapproves of his son flying. "Elephants do not fly," he says, and quite reasonably points out that flying is dangerous, and that humans might want to capture Dumbo for experimentation.

Dumbo must choose between a relationship with the father he's always wanted, but being stifled and grounded, and breaking away from his father but enjoying freedom in the skies.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

One day, Dumbo is spotted flying around by a bull elephant from another circus, who recognizes Dumbo as his son. The two have a joyful reunion. But Dumbo's father disapproves of his son flying. "Elephants do not fly," he says, and quite reasonably points out that flying is dangerous, and that humans might want to capture Dumbo for experimentation.

Dumbo must choose between a relationship with the father he's always wanted, but being stifled and grounded, and breaking away from his father but enjoying freedom in the skies.
And since it's 2015, Dumbo's dad is ex-special forces.

bhamv3

bhamv3

And since it's 2015, Dumbo's dad is ex-special forces.
"You know what my old Lieutenant said in the war, son? The brightest light gets sniped. You want to be a shining beacon of hope for everyone around you? That's going to get you killed. You're going to end up in a ditch somewhere, rotting away into the mud, and no one's going to know you're there, or care. You think this is all fun and games, flying around like some kind of squirrel? I've seen real elephants fly, son. I've seen them shot down, blasted out of the sky in glowing balls of flame and death. You think I want that kind of fate for you? You want that for yourself? Do you?"

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Apparently Disney was hard at work on expanding the Treasure Planet franchise until the movie tanked. This included a whole team being hard at work on a sequel movie with actual talent behind it, unlike most Disney sequels.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

For anyone who has Disney XD, they're going to start airing Doctor Who on May 9th. The episodes they'll be showing are from seasons 2-4, which are the David Tennant seasons.

https://d23.com/news-briefs-april-22-2015/?CMP=EMC-eml&att=20150423_D23_FanFare

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

For anyone who has Disney XD, they're going to start airing Doctor Who on May 9th. The episodes they'll be showing are from seasons 2-4, which are the David Tennant seasons.

https://d23.com/news-briefs-april-22-2015/?CMP=EMC-eml&att=20150423_D23_FanFare
This basically means Disney XD is on the skids... probably because a lot of providers dropped it from their basic cable packages months ago and put it in their premium packages. I know mine did... I have to watch Gravity Falls online now.

Bubble181

Bubble181

seasons 2-4 [...] David Tennant

Does....not.....compute.... Season 28-30, dammit, bunch of Americans who like to reset stuff when it gets too difficult or too scary :p "oh no, let's not frighten people with a high season number, they think they won't be able to follow". Piffle. ;)

Tress

Tress

Does....not.....compute.... Season 28-30, dammit, bunch of Americans who like to reset stuff when it gets too difficult or too scary :p "oh no, let's not frighten people with a high season number, they think they won't be able to follow". Piffle. ;)
Before 2005 each was referred to as "series", and it wasn't until the 9th Doctor showed up that they called them seasons. So it really is "seasons 2-4."

Silly Europeans, always living in the past and assuming Americans don't know what we're talking about.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Before 2005 each was referred to as "series", and it wasn't until the 9th Doctor showed up that they called them seasons. So it really is "seasons 2-4."

Silly Europeans, always living in the past and assuming Americans don't know what we're talking about.
I was wondering who'd be the dingbat who'd say "they were series before!". A series = a season. It's the Americans who insisted on the rebranding to make it "clear".

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Disney has also released a little animated clip in conjunction with the upcoming Tomorrowland film, showcasing the origins of the mysterious Plus Ultra.

The BioShock vibes are really starting to feel strong after seeing this.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Yay Maurice LaMarche!

--Patrick

evilmike

evilmike

Trailer for the new Muppet Show

figmentPez

figmentPez

"sort of an adult Muppet show..." that line makes me very wary....

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

"sort of an adult Muppet show..." that line makes me very wary....
Well, the original Muppet Show was meant for an older audience. So it sounds like they're returning to form a little.

PatrThom

PatrThom

It has potential. The trailer makes it look like it could be an entertaining movie.
Let's see if they can pull off an entertaining series.

--Patrick

Celt Z

Celt Z

Part of the reason Jim Henson made the original Muppet Show was to prove puppets could entertain an adult audience. Before it was a regular series, one of the first specials was title "Sex and Violence". I think they can pull off an "appeal to a wide age range" again, because they never work too blue but they also don't keep things too cutesy just to appeal to kids.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

They couldn't pick which modern TV tropes to ape, so they chose them all.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

THAT looks great, Fozzie having a human girlfriend, Piggy being CLEARLY spaced out even for her, and 4th wall Gonzo jokes...I am really scared how they could mess this up.

Feel weirdly weird about Kermit and Piggy breaking up...for the three hundredth time, but it looks funny so whatevs.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I mean, have you seen the pitch trailer for the original show?

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I mean, have you seen the pitch trailer for the original show?

HA- I remember that from the season one DVD.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Well, the original Muppet Show was meant for an older audience. So it sounds like they're returning to form a little.
I guess it depends on if they mean a return to form, or if they mean that the original wasn't "adult" enough. Because the original Muppet show did appeal to adults, and that's why that line bothers me.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Trailer for the new Muppet Show
30 rock muppets style? I'm in!

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

30 rock muppets style? I'm in!
...I am now imagining the original Muppet Show theme to the theme of 30 Rock, MAKE THIS CANON!

evilmike

evilmike

...I am now imagining the original Muppet Show theme to the theme of 30 Rock, MAKE THIS CANON!

Gryfter

Gryfter

I am okay with this.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Well, July is still better than August!

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Tomorrowland

...Well, that could have been better. It had a lot of interesting ideas, some great sequences, a nice dash of Disney nostalgia early on, and I fully support a sci-fi movie that takes the stance of believing in the potential of improving the world rather than giving in to self-defeating cynicism, but it squandered its potential. Frankly, it treats Tomorrowland as a mystery for far too long, it takes too long into the film to actually get to Tomorrowland, and they're there they don't realize the full potential of what they have. Seriously, Tomorrowland is an alternate universe secret society where artists and scientists create free of government and corporate control. You could have done a lot with that idea and make a film that, at the very least, could have been like a family-friendly BioShock. Instead, this incredible world's backstory is couched in vague terms and rarely touched upon, then the proper arrival is very late in the film and barely anything is done with it.

So, all in all, not awful but the ideas are wasted and the ending drops the ball. At least the Tomorrowland pin I got for seeing this looks nice.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

. Instead, this incredible world's backstory is couched in vague terms and rarely touched upon, then the proper arrival is very late in the film and barely anything is done with it.
A lot of this is because they did some ARG stuff about Tomorrowland in the build up to the film... which is the only place they really talk about the history and back-story of the movie and how this all came to be. Honestly, they completely wasted it like that.

Also, the movie is a bit too preachy. You don't NEED to preach that shit, Tomorrowland. You're already showing us what you could accomplish in that kind of world.

PatrThom

PatrThom

the movie is a bit too preachy. You don't NEED to preach that shit, Tomorrowland. You're already showing us what you could accomplish in that kind of world.
Hollywood is not about subtlety these days. Otherwise we'd get more stuff like Rear Window.

--Patrick

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

A lot of this is because they did some ARG stuff about Tomorrowland in the build up to the film... which is the only place they really talk about the history and back-story of the movie and how this all came to be. Honestly, they completely wasted it like that.

Also, the movie is a bit too preachy. You don't NEED to preach that shit, Tomorrowland. You're already showing us what you could accomplish in that kind of world.
Yeah, I checked out some of the ARG stuff. I wish they had actually used that stuff in the film to build up its world rather than just pushing a mystery that took too long to figure out about Tomorrowland, especially considering you see the place early on in the bit about Frank's trip to the World's Fair.

Tell me, are these sort of problems frequent in things that Damon Lindelof writes, because I never really got into Lost but I know there was plenty of hate for what went down with it.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Well, he did write Prometheus, apparently.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Well, he did write Prometheus, apparently.
...That would explain how Prometheus had its own vague approach to the backstory of the Space Jockeys, along with a story affected by stupid character decisions. At least this one didn't feel like it ended in a needless, obvious sequel hook.

it really is a shame, because the idea of Tomorrowland being this parallel dimension society of geniuses is a great concept and way to capture the spirit of the Disney theme park area and the concept is utterly squandered.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Disney has cancelled development of a third Tron film.

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/445309-breaking-its-game-over-for-tron-3

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Man I really liked the new Tron, and I heard Uprising was fun, that's too bad.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Almost certainly because TOMORROWLAND has tanked really hard and they were going to use the same director. Personally, I'd be setting up Tomorrowland as a franchise still... as a movie it kind of sucks, but it could be a pretty killer TV show for NBC.

PatrThom

PatrThom

TOMORROWLAND has tanked really hard
Didn't it make $50mil so far?
(checks Internet)
Oh, it was $170mil to make. Ouch.

--Patrick

Eriol

Eriol

Almost certainly because TOMORROWLAND has tanked really hard
That's too bad, as I heard it was good. I want to go see it, but as I live 2.5 hours from a theatre, it's a bit more than "let's go see a movie tonight!" kind of thing. The opposite of an impulse-evening.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Almost certainly because TOMORROWLAND has tanked really hard and they were going to use the same director. Personally, I'd be setting up Tomorrowland as a franchise still... as a movie it kind of sucks, but it could be a pretty killer TV show for NBC.
Why, so they can cancel it after a season? :p

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

That's too bad, as I heard it was good. I want to go see it, but as I live 2.5 hours from a theatre, it's a bit more than "let's go see a movie tonight!" kind of thing. The opposite of an impulse-evening.
It's actually not very good. It has a good message and the visuals are nice, but it's all very heavy handed and none of the backstory of WHY Tomorrowland exists or how it got the way it is is ever really addressed in the movie (only in the ARG that they did before the movie). They very clearly wanted to do a family friendly version of Bioshock or Atlas Shrugged (but with a positive message), but it completely falls flat.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

The latest in Disney's plans for adapting animated films to live-action form is a film based upon the "Night on Bald Mountain" segment from Fantasia.

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/446511-disney-is-planning-a-live-action-night-on-bald-mountain

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

The latest in Disney's plans for adapting animated films to live-action form is a film based upon the "Night on Bald Mountain" segment from Fantasia.

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/446511-disney-is-planning-a-live-action-night-on-bald-mountain
Modern Disney wouldn't have the balls to do that short segment today, let alone entire film based on it. I have zero faith in this project.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Tangled is getting an animated series in 2017 on the Disney Channel.
https://d23.com/disney-channel-announces-tangled-series/

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Tangled is getting an animated series in 2017 on the Disney Channel.
https://d23.com/disney-channel-announces-tangled-series/
You know what? I love that movie. It has a special place in mine and my wife's heart and is often a go-to movie for us.

It doesn't deserve the cruelty of becoming a Disney Channel show.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Okay, on the one hand they got the original voice actors, on the other hand...a billion things that could go wrong. CONFLICTED I AM!

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Animated, not live-action. Their animated stuff is usually much better than the live-action cookie-cutter shows.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Oh so NOW they'll make it a hand drawn, animated thing.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Modern Disney wouldn't have the balls to do that short segment today, let alone entire film based on it. I have zero faith in this project.
Yeah, the version of Chernabog who appeared in Once Upon a Time was pretty neutered. A nice reference, but about as much "Night on Bald Mountain" as a mouse-eared topiary is Steamboat Willie.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Animated, not live-action. Their animated stuff is usually much better than the live-action cookie-cutter shows.
I know, and they've reunited the people who made the movie, etc. I still don't trust it.

Eriol

Eriol

Tangled is ripe for an "adventure of the week" kind of show. Could be fine. As a child I remember enjoying the Alladin TV series (haven't watched it as an adult, may have been crap), so IMO it seems possible to do an OK job of it.

And more of the horse could be hilarious.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Tangled is ripe for an "adventure of the week" kind of show. Could be fine. As a child I remember enjoying the Alladin TV series (haven't watched it as an adult, may have been crap), so IMO it seems possible to do an OK job of it.

And more of the horse could be hilarious.
What I've seen still holds up pretty well, as it's done just as you say with the villain-of-the-week. Iago got a little grating, but Genie's a bit more toned-down as it's Dan Castalenetta, not Williams, doing the voice.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

PatrThom

PatrThom

They're doing a Kevin & Kell movie?

--Patrick

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

It seems like the Disney's Hollywood Studios theme park is undergoing a major shake-up.

Firstly, there's news that the park will be getting a new name. Secondly, they've announced that The Magic of Disney Animation and Walt Disney: One Man's Dream will be closing their doors. This has begun some to start speculating on other attractions that may be on the chopping block. Whatever may happen, it seems like there may be big change coming to Disney's Hollywood Studios.

Dei

Dei

How many names has that park gone through now? [emoji14]

Hylian

Hylian

But humans are technically animals......

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

How many names has that park gone through now? [emoji14]
The new name will be the 3rd name it has had. Disney-MGM Studios was first, and it 2008 changed to Disney's Hollywood Studios.

It seems like the Disney's Hollywood Studios theme park is undergoing a major shake-up.

Firstly, there's news that the park will be getting a new name. Secondly, they've announced that The Magic of Disney Animation and Walt Disney: One Man's Dream will be closing their doors. This has begun some to start speculating on other attractions that may be on the chopping block. Whatever may happen, it seems like there may be big change coming to Disney's Hollywood Studios.
The Backlot Tour attraction has already been shut down, Sounds Dangerous has been shuttered for years, American Idol has gone idle. Rumors are Lights, Motors, Action! may close and make way for the expansion of the Pixar Place with the addition of Radiator Springs Racers and persistent rumors of a Monsters Inc based ride. Also rumored is an expansion of the presence of Star Wars in the park.

Other news has Disney Quest, at Downtown Disney (or Disney Springs as it is changing into), being closed and changed to the NBA Experience. Personally, not a good move, I have no interest in that. I know that ABC/ESPN has the contract with the NBA, but this just doesn't feel like a good fit to me.

Animal Kingdom is under huge amounts of construction with the addition of Avatar-land where Camp Minnie-Mickey used to be and the addition of a nighttime water/light show probably along the same technology line as World of Color at California Adventure.

Magic Kingdom is finishing up the expansion of the central hub area in front of Cinderella's Castle and building/remodeling a new Pirate's themed restaurant.

Epcot is currently the least under construction, only thing happening is the re-imagining of Maelstrom into a Frozen based ride in the Norway Pavilion and the building of a new building to house the Frozen meet-n-greet and new restrooms.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

The Backlot Tour attraction has already been shut down, Sounds Dangerous has been shuttered for years, American Idol has gone idle. Rumors are Lights, Motors, Action! may close and make way for the expansion of the Pixar Place with the addition of Radiator Springs Racers and persistent rumors of a Monsters Inc based ride. Also rumored is an expansion of the presence of Star Wars in the park.

Other news has Disney Quest, at Downtown Disney (or Disney Springs as it is changing into), being closed and changed to the NBA Experience. Personally, not a good move, I have no interest in that. I know that ABC/ESPN has the contract with the NBA, but this just doesn't feel like a good fit to me.

Animal Kingdom is under huge amounts of construction with the addition of Avatar-land where Camp Minnie-Mickey used to be and the addition of a nighttime water/light show probably along the same technology line as World of Color at California Adventure.

Magic Kingdom is finishing up the expansion of the central hub area in front of Cinderella's Castle and building/remodeling a new Pirate's themed restaurant.

Epcot is currently the least under construction, only thing happening is the re-imagining of Maelstrom into a Frozen based ride in the Norway Pavilion and the building of a new building to house the Frozen meet-n-greet and new restrooms.
Certainly a lot of changes and updates happening around the Disney World resort. For me, I reported on what's been happening with Disney's Hollywood Studios because, if they end up closing down as much as some speculate or rumor, then that's a lot of potential attraction space that they'll get in the park and a lot of overall change.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

I was just kinda laying it all out in one post. Well, really I was just responding with a little more and it kinda snowballed...

I'm curious to see what is announced at D23 Expo in a couple of weeks, guessing it will be there for them to confirm or deny all the speculation.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

I was just kinda laying it all out in one post. Well, really I was just responding with a little more and it kinda snowballed...

I'm curious to see what is announced at D23 Expo in a couple of weeks, guessing it will be there for them to confirm or deny all the speculation.
Most likely. D23 Expo seems like a good time to tackle what exactly is happening with Disney's Hollywood Studios.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

PatrThom

PatrThom

I wonder how they will characterize Mad Madam Mim?

--Patrick

Tress

Tress

I'm intrigued. Could be interesting.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

I wonder how they will characterize Mad Madam Mim?

--Patrick
Helena Bonham Carter? *shrug*

Bowielee

Bowielee

If they're going to do a live action fantasy movie, I'd prefer to see The Black Cauldron.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Dude, if they did the Horned King using awesome make-up and practical effects and still had John Hurt come back to do the voice again, I'd love that!

PatrThom

PatrThom

Helena Bonham Carter? *shrug*
I would've probably gone with someone like Hudson Leick.

--Patrick

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

If they're going to do a live action fantasy movie, I'd prefer to see The Black Cauldron.
The movie became such a black sheep of theirs I'd be amazed to see it get even a BluRay release.

Disney

Disney pls

Disney STAHP

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

...You know what? Among the various things Disney seems geared to doing live-action versions of, this is one I could get behind.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Ioan Gruffud is likely his love child, just look at that 70's photo...

Bubble181

Bubble181

Ioan Gruffud is likely his love child, just look at that 70's photo...
"Forever" season 2 confirmed! :aaah:

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Two weeks until the D23 Expo in Anaheim. Expecting lots of news to come out of the convention, especially about the renovation of Disney's Hollywood Studios in Florida.

Also circulating today are several sites reporting "rumors" of Disneyland doing a bit of renovation by shutting down Toontown and installing a Star Wars land in it's place in the park.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

It was also reported today that they bought about three parcels of land around Disneyland recently, which is also speculated to be involved with plans to add more Star Wars and Marvel related attractions.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

It was also reported today that they bought about three parcels of land around Disneyland recently, which is also speculated to be involved with plans to add more Star Wars and Marvel related attractions.
They bought the Carousel Inn before we went to Disneyland in May, so not sure why they're including that property in this report. I honestly don't see them tearing down the hotel to build something else. It's a very narrow strip that sits between two other hotels, and has a six lane boulevard between it and the "mainland" of DL/CA.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

14 acre Star Wars Land expansion for both Disneyland and Disney's Hollywood Studios confirmed today at the D23 Expo.

#StarWars themed lands announced for Disneyland park & Disney’s Hollywood Studios. http://bit.ly/1TGeQdk #D23Expo

Link is for the Disney Park Blog.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Disney's upcoming movies for the next while:

[DOUBLEPOST=1439770785,1439770725][/DOUBLEPOST]I believe Jungle Book and BatB are live-action remakes, and dang I'm excited for BFG. That was a favorite book of mine as a kid.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Pete's Dragon?
Whut?

--Patrick

bhamv3

bhamv3

Apparently the Beauty and the Beast movie is going to be alive-action version of the musical, with lots of songs from the Broadway version.

Also, the cast list is insane.

Starring Emma Watson
Dan Stevens
Luke Evans
Ewan McGregor
Ian McKellen
Emma Thompson
Kevin Kline
Josh Gad
Audra McDonald

PatrThom

PatrThom

What? No Hugh Jackman?

--Patrick

Celt Z

Celt Z

As impressive as that cast list is, it seems a little unnecessary*. We have a musical movie, then musical based on that movie, and now we're making a movie based on the musical of the movie. Whyyyyyy, Disney??

(*Says the person who loved all the Hairsprays, although the original movie is pretty different from the musical.)

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

As impressive as that cast list is, it seems a little unnecessary*. We have a musical movie, then musical based on that movie, and now we're making a movie based on the musical of the movie. Whyyyyyy, Disney??

(*Says the person who loved all the Hairsprays, although the original movie is pretty different from the musical.)
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Disney only just realized that their audience will tolerate musicals once again, so they've been experimenting (Descendants, High School Musical, Summer Beach Movie) and getting ready for big screen adaptions.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Seriously, though, I'm all for more musicals. Grew up on them, still love 'em.

Celt Z

Celt Z

Disney only just realized that their audience will tolerate musicals once again, so they've been experimenting (Descendants, High School Musical, Summer Beach Movie) and getting ready for big screen adaptions.
Right, but my point was the original movie WAS a musical. I know there's the $$$ factor, but this is getting ridiculous.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Right, but my point was the original movie WAS a musical. I know there's the $$$ factor, but this is getting ridiculous.
Eh. They've made live action versions of animated pictures before. I don't see how a live action Beauty and the Beast or Lion King would be improved by leaving out the songs. Adding in a few extra from the Broadway version is OK if they're good songs.

Obviously, you can complain about them remaking the same stories over and over again - and you'd be right - but I don't see how this is worse than any other remake.

Celt Z

Celt Z

Eh. They've made live action versions of animated pictures before. I don't see how a live action Beauty and the Beast or Lion King would be improved by leaving out the songs. Adding in a few extra from the Broadway version is OK if they're good songs.

Obviously, you can complain about them remaking the same stories over and over again - and you'd be right - but I don't see how this is worse than any other remake.
It wasn't a better or worse comment, more like...

Disney is infinitely looping itself. Next phase is that there will be a CG animated movie of the musical version of the movie where everyone looks like the cast of Frozen.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Kati has seen the musical, and while "Human Again" may not be a deal breaker she looks forward to any adaptation that includes the song "Me."
Now if they make a movie adaptation of "Lion King: The Musical?" That I will go see.
[DOUBLEPOST=1439814709,1439814600][/DOUBLEPOST]
Disney is infinitely looping itself. Next phase is that there will be a CG animated movie of the musical version of the movie where everyone looks like the cast of Frozen.
Now I want to see a chibi remake of Frozen.

--Patrick

Covar

Covar

A year after, the Academy will add a new category, Best Musical Adaptation of an Animated Musical Series.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Emma Watson as Belle? I'm sold.

I stopped reading the cast list after that.

Dei

Dei

http://www.tor.com/2015/08/17/disney-d23-expo-2015-star-wars-marvel-news/

If they are making Hollywood Studios into Toy Story Land, what are they going to do with rides like Tower of Terror and the Rock and Roller Coaster?

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

If they are making Hollywood Studios into Toy Story Land, what are they going to do with rides like Tower of Terror and the Rock and Roller Coaster?
Honestly, those rides do well and I wouldn't expect for them to be closed down. They've closed down the Animated Academy and shut down all of the remaining bits from the Studio Tram (or whatever it was called, the one with Catastrophe Canyon). A few of the things that were just shows have been or are on their way to being shuttered.

Now, the question is what attractions will be shut down.

GasBandit

GasBandit

They're remaking PETE'S DRAGON?

Is Pasamaquoddy still a place?

Bubble181

Bubble181

Both are rides that could relatively easily be rethemed into Toy Story, anyway.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Nothing, Toy Story Land and Star Wars land are both going on the other side of the park, the majority of the park itself is going to remain as is.

Honestly, those rides do well and I wouldn't expect for them to be closed down. They've closed down the Animated Academy and shut down all of the remaining bits from the Studio Tram (or whatever it was called, the one with Catastrophe Canyon). A few of the things that were just shows have been or are on their way to being shuttered.

Now, the question is what attractions will be shut down.
Backlot Tour is what you are thinking of. I, just personal here, believe that Lights, Motor, Action! is going away, too many weather issues and nothing new to the show in years, Voyage of the Little Mermaid, same basic attraction done better at Magic Kingdom with newer technology, and probably Playhouse Disney.

Looks like Star Wars Launch Bay is going into the Animation Academy location, same basic premise, meet and greets and some static info locations that can be changed out. Star Tours is getting additional locations/scenes in the ride this fall.

My questions are about Indiana Jones Stunt Show and The Muppets areas.

They were supposed to announce a new name for Hollywood Studios, and in the Parks presentation people seemed to be stumbling on the HS name, like they had been using something else as a name for a little while.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Nothing, Toy Story Land and Star Wars land are both going on the other side of the park, the majority of the park itself is going to remain as is.

Backlot Tour is what you are thinking of. I, just personal here, believe that Lights, Motor, Action! is going away, too many weather issues and nothing new to the show in years, Voyage of the Little Mermaid, same basic attraction done better at Magic Kingdom with newer technology, and probably Playhouse Disney.

Looks like Star Wars Launch Bay is going into the Animation Academy location, same basic premise, meet and greets and some static info locations that can be changed out. Star Tours is getting additional locations/scenes in the ride this fall.

My questions are about Indiana Jones Stunt Show and The Muppets areas.

They were supposed to announce a new name for Hollywood Studios, and in the Parks presentation people seemed to be stumbling on the HS name, like they had been using something else as a name for a little while.
They are currently pushing the new Muppets show. I don't see why they would get rid of it right as the show is about to come out.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I'd love to see more Muppet stuff, personally.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

They are currently pushing the new Muppets show. I don't see why they would get rid of it right as the show is about to come out.
I'd love to see more Muppet stuff, personally.
I agree with both of you, but the location of the Muppets attractions makes it's future in question, it's right on the boundary between the current Star Wars stuff and the expansion of Toy Story Land.

Personally, my wife and I would love to see the Mama Melrose restaurant be a Muppet themed experience with the Swedish Chef "running" the kitchen and the Muppets having stuff happening in the restaurant. Not puppeteers running around mind you, but automated things in the walls and arrangements that divide the place up.

I wish I could be an Imagineer.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I agree with both of you, but the location of the Muppets attractions makes it's future in question, it's right on the boundary between the current Star Wars stuff and the expansion of Toy Story Land.

Personally, my wife and I would love to see the Mama Melrose restaurant be a Muppet themed experience with the Swedish Chef "running" the kitchen and the Muppets having stuff happening in the restaurant. Not puppeteers running around mind you, but automated things in the walls and arrangements that divide the place up.

I wish I could be an Imagineer.
They might just move it somewhere else. *shrug*

PatrThom

PatrThom

Pete's Dragon?
Whut?
...and Karl Urban is going to be in it?
Disney, what are you doing...

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

...and Karl Urban is going to be in it?
Disney, what are you doing...

--Patrick
Well, my guess is he's not playing as Lampy... right?

Celt Z

Celt Z

PLEASE make him Lampy!!!! :D I never knew I wanted that until now.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Actually, it sounds like they're doing some changes to Pete's Dragon. For one, it's apparently not going to be a musical.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I GOT IT

Dredd 2: Pete's Dreddgon.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

I GOT IT

Dredd 2: Pete's Dreddgon.
I have to admit, I'm sort of chuckling at the mental image of Judge Dredd looking at the antics of Elliott with his almost perpetual frown.

Also, Robert Redford will also be in the movie.

PatrThom

PatrThom

PLEASE make him Lampy!!!! :D I never knew I wanted that until now.
I checked. He's playing a character that didn't appear in the original (unless that character was "Townsperson 3" in the original or something).

--Patrick

evilmike

evilmike

I have to admit, I'm sort of chuckling at the mental image of Judge Dredd looking at the antics of Elliott with his almost perpetual frown.

Also, Robert Redford will also be in the movie.
I would have visualized it as "Pete's Ddragon"

Random Townperson shown to be littering.
Pete runs up.

Pete: [morty's voice]No! Don't do that. Dredd doesn't like littering.[/morty's voice]

Random Townperson: Go away, Pete! I'm tired of you telling people about your invisible lawman. (Continues to litter.)

Pete: [morty's voice]Oh God! He says that he is the law! This is never ends well![/morty's voice]

*blamblamblamblamblamblamblamblamblamblam*

Celt Z

Celt Z

I checked. He's playing a character that didn't appear in the original (unless that character was "Townsperson 3" in the original or something).

--Patrick
:(

PatrThom

PatrThom

Trailer's finally up.

--Patrick

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

DuckTales is getting a brand new series on Disney XD.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

This has been in the works for awhile but no one was sure if it would take or not... there's also a chance for another Darkwing Duck series is this does well. The success of the comics for both is what spurred the decision, though they've long since dumped the comics... right before they bought Marvel, I think.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Let's hope it's not Scientifically Accurate.

PatrThom

PatrThom

So Huey is the bookish one, Dewey is the headstrong one, and Louie is skittish?
And Webby will be the solid, rational one who behaves like a normal child because she's the only girl?

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

So Huey is the bookish one, Dewey is the headstrong one, and Louie is skittish?
And Webby will be the solid, rational one who behaves like a normal child because she's the only girl?

--Patrick
Ed, Edd and Eddy taught me the dangers of trying to assume personalities/roles from prepromotional material alone.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Is that concept art for the series? It looks like the art from Scrooge's solo comics, which is a great thing.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Ed, Edd and Eddy taught me the dangers of trying to assume personalities/roles from prepromotional material alone.
It was a different time, then.
A time when everything didn't have to be sorted into neatly-labeled boxes to facilitate consumption.

--Patrick

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

It was a different time, then.
A time when everything didn't have to be sorted into neatly-labeled boxes to facilitate consumption.

--Patrick
I'm not so sure... virtually all of the most successful animated shows right now are succeeding despite being completely fucking insane.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I'm not so sure... virtually all of the most successful animated shows right now are succeeding despite being completely fucking insane.
Madness is the new norm- VIVA CHAOS BABY!

PatrThom

PatrThom

Yes. And I'm all for it.
But not Disney. Disney these days is all about being safe. Except for "Gravity Falls," I don't know of any recent series that didn't stick to some Formula.

--Patrick

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Is that concept art for the series? It looks like the art from Scrooge's solo comics, which is a great thing.
It is concept art for the new series.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Yes. And I'm all for it.
But not Disney. Disney these days is all about being safe. Except for "Gravity Falls," I don't know of any recent series that didn't stick to some Formula.

--Patrick
I don't know about that, "Wander Over Yonder" and "Star vs the forces of evil" can get pretty dark and crazy. Both shows I REALLY recommend.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Currently IDW is publishing the Disney Comics, included in their lineup are Mickey Mouse, Walt Disney's Comics and Stories, Donald Duck and Uncle Scrooge.

IDW Publishing Disney Comics page

PatrThom

PatrThom

I don't know about that, "Wander Over Yonder" and "Star vs the forces of evil" can get pretty dark and crazy. Both shows I REALLY recommend.
Two series I didn't know about.

--Patrick

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Two series I didn't know about.

--Patrick
Both great shows, first season of Wander is mostly silly times with some AMAZING imagery but by season two they get a kick ass over-arching plot. Star Vs. the forces of Evil starts OUT like a basic magical girl cartoon at first, but builds the foundation to a REALLY deep story.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Disney has announced that there will be a live-action Little Mermaid movie, and both Alan Menken and Lin-Manuel Miranda are working on the songs for it.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Disney has announced that there will be a live-action Little Mermaid movie, and both Alan Menken and Lin-Manuel Miranda are working on the songs for it.
While I love the Little Mermaid, I wonder how that's going to turn out....And I'm also worried about the interpretation. Frankly, the message is....not all that modern. "Soit belle et tais-toi" is sort of an outdated view of femininity.

Dei

Dei

While I love the Little Mermaid, I wonder how that's going to turn out....And I'm also worried about the interpretation. Frankly, the message is....not all that modern. "Soit belle et tais-toi" is sort of an outdated view of femininity.
Well, I guess we'll see how Beauty and the Beast turns out.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Well, I guess we'll see how Beauty and the Beast turns out.
It's easier to re-interpret B&B in a modern way, because the message has more layers - some of which are old)fashioned, others still work. TLM has some parts that can still be used, but there's less meat to the story ,really.

(and more fish.)

strawman

strawman

I don't think it's fair to say that Ariel didn't communicate. Wall-E proved that speaking isn't necessary to carry a role, and I suspect that the story will still resonate with the target audience even if they follow the original.
As we've seen, though, the live action ones are very interesting in their own right, so I'm not too worried.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Have you seen some of the reference model work for TLM?

She's more than just the voice of Slappy, y'know.

--Patrick

bhamv3

bhamv3

Can someone cast Sierra Boggess as Ariel please?

Actually, can someone cast Sierra Boggess for every singing part please?

Celt Z

Celt Z

Can someone cast Sierra Boggess as Ariel please?

Actually, can someone cast Sierra Boggess for every singing part please?
I saw her on Broadway as Ariel. It wasn't one of Disney's best stage adaptation, but she was wonderful.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

watch them cast a white British boy as Aladdin

Celt Z

Celt Z

They cast a Turkish-Australian actor as Aladdin for Once Upon a Time. (Which is Disney.)

Covar

Covar

They should just get kid who plays DJ's oldest son on Fuller House. Then the circle would be complete.

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

They cast a Turkish-Australian actor as Aladdin for Once Upon a Time. (Which is Disney.)
A live action Aladdin movie probably has over 10 times the money behind it, so it's a different hypothetical ballgame.

blotsfan

blotsfan

And Jasmine will be Scarlett Johansson.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

A live action Aladdin movie probably has over 10 times the money behind it, so it's a different hypothetical ballgame.
Has that been announced?

Charlie Don't Surf

Charlie Don't Surf

Has that been announced?
after Beauty and Mermaid, I'd say it's the next in line, but nah

PatrThom

PatrThom

Still want a remake of The Rescuers.
I suppose they're deliberately avoiding this since today's movie climate would require it be too grimdark.

--Patrick

blotsfan

blotsfan

after Beauty and Mermaid, I'd say it's the next in line, but nah
I could see this one really causing trouble because people will flip out over whoever replaces Robin Williams as the Genie (and yes, I know they've done it before).

Bubble181

Bubble181

I could see this one really causing trouble because people will flip out over whoever replaces Robin Williams as the Genie (and yes, I know they've done it before).
Wish #1: I wish you were voiced by Robin Williams.

They could ask Robbie Williams to voice him? Stay as close as possible :p

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Make Genie female and played by Zelda Williams as a tribute?

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Just get the guy that was playing Genie at California Adventure's live stage show. He was pretty good.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

Make Genie female and played by Zelda Williams as a tribute?
And then next season have her reveal to have an army of giant beam-canon toting robots!

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Disney has announced not only a live-action Mulan film, but also a potential release date of November 12th, 2018.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Disney has announced not only a live-action Mulan film, but also a potential release date of November 12th, 2018.
They've also announced a live action Lion King....which I'm sort of on the fence about. I dunno how much that's going to work, really.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

They've also announced a live action Lion King....which I'm sort of on the fence about. I dunno how much that's going to work, really.
Yeah, the idea of a live-action Lion King is one I don't have a lot of faith in. In addition to already being really good, it's all animals. At least The Jungle Book has Mowgli has a human figure. Why make The Lion King live-action?

Now, a live-action Mulan film? That's one where I could see a live-action version working well.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Yeah, the idea of a live-action Lion King is one I don't have a lot of faith in. In addition to already being really good, it's all animals. At least The Jungle Book has Mowgli has a human figure. Why make The Lion King live-action?

Now, a live-action Mulan film? That's one where I could see a live-action version working well.
I'd be more on board with this if there wasn't already several Chinese live action adaptions of the work already. Some of them are even good.

Covar

Covar

Unless they adapt the broadway musical, I can't possibly see it being anything but animated. Just with computers, lots of green screen, and an unnecessary high budget.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

All I can say is, Jungle Book.

Covar

Covar

All I can say is, Jungle Book.
Jungle book at least had one actor in it.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I thought Guy was working on a Robin Hood cinematic universe...

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I thought Guy was working on a Robin Hood cinematic universe...
Wasn't that supposed to tie into the King Arthur cinematic universe they wanted to do but that never got off the ground?

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Wasn't that supposed to tie into the King Arthur cinematic universe they wanted to do but that never got off the ground?
The first King Arthur film is in the can and coming out next year. It is the Robin Hood that has been pushed back due to the Kingsman sequel.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

For the new DuckTales cartoon launching in 2017, David Tennant will be the voice of Scrooge McDuck.

Dei

Dei

For the new DuckTales cartoon launching in 2017, David Tennant will be the voice of Scrooge McDuck.
I posted it in the animation thread hours ago. ;)

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

First the Fugitoid, NOW Scrooge McDuck. Is he a straight up VA now? If so I'm cool, his voice is magic.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

First the Fugitoid, NOW Scrooge McDuck. Is he a straight up VA now? If so I'm cool, his voice is magic.
Kilgrave would say no, he isn't.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Kilgrave would say no, he isn't.
That was filmed a year and a half ago. I think Yosh's point is that aside from Doctor Who specials, he's done nothing but voice work in various video games and TV shows since then.

Celt Z

Celt Z

Yes and no. He's been doing a lot of voice-acting lately (he's been popping up on a lot of Li'l Z's shows, like Tree-Fu Tom, Jake and the Neverland Pirates, Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, the Dragons series), but he's still filming things like Broadchurch for BBC.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Yes and no. He's been doing a lot of voice-acting lately (he's been popping up on a lot of Li'l Z's shows, like Tree-Fu Tom, Jake and the Neverland Pirates, Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, the Dragons series), but he's still filming things like Broadchurch for BBC.
For some reason I thought that show ended. Okay, in that case ...

Alec Hardy would say no, he isn't.
Fixed. :p

MindDetective

MindDetective

Does he have a little one of his own right now?

Celt Z

Celt Z

Does he have a little one of his own right now?
His son (adopted from his wife's previous relationship) is a teen, but I believe his two little girls are around Li'l Z's age, or slightly younger.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Best comment I've seen so far regarding Tennant's casting:

"Might solve a mystery, or rewrite history"

Come to think of it, he should feel right at home.

Dei

Dei

PatrThom

PatrThom

Considering the previous guy's heart exploded, they were going to have to find someone new.

--Patrick

Celt Z

Celt Z

This is really more Pixar than Disney, but sweet Jesus! Could this be more depressing??

Pixar Consultant Reveals What Really Happened to Andy's Dad

:eek::cry:

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

This is really more Pixar than Disney, but sweet Jesus! Could this be more depressing??

Pixar Consultant Reveals What Really Happened to Andy's Dad

:eek::cry:
Well fuck. They say sadder than predicted, and hell if they aren't right. Jesus.

chris

chris

If it makes you feel better, Andrew Stanton, co writer of all three movies and and upcoming forth one, calls bullshit. The article got this update:

Update: Looks like his word might not be enough. Andrew Stanton, who co-wrote all three Toy Story films (and the upcoming fourth film), has disputed Mozart’s claim, calling it “complete and utter fake news.” Now, it’s possible Ranft had his own origin for Andy’s dad that wasn’t shared with the others, but that’s not something that can be verified. In any case, Mozart’s story looks to be his own. We’ve reached out to both Stanton and Mozart for more information.

Dei

Dei

I didn't think that story fit with the timeline tbh.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Why would the *star* of the show be the only one who wasn't a mass produced toy? Why would all the sidekicks get made and sold before the title character even gets prototyped?

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

D23 Expo officially starts today, major announcements expected tomorrow (rumored Tron Lightcycle coaster for Magic Kingdom at WDW, replacing Great Movie Ride with a Mickey Mouse themed ride at DHS, New country in the World Showcase at Epcot, new ride at France Pavillion at Epcot). Last night was the preview night, featuring a Star Wars presentation of the model for the Star Wars lands at WDW and Disneyland.

Full story here: http://wdwnt.com/blog/2017/07/photos-depth-look-star-wars-land-model-disney-parks-d23-expo-2017/

Some of the photos from it:

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

The Incredibles 2 will be starting right where the first movie left off. This is great! Fantastic Four the way it should have been in the movies, family first, supers second.

Original Story: http://wdwnt.com/blog/2017/07/incredibles-2-will-take-place-moments-end-first-incredibles/

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

The Incredibles 2 will be starting right where the first movie left off. This is great! Fantastic Four the way it should have been in the movies, family first, supers second.

Original Story: http://wdwnt.com/blog/2017/07/incredibles-2-will-take-place-moments-end-first-incredibles/
That's a surprise. I figured with the 12 years since the original came out that it'd skip a few years in the movie universe.

PatrThom

PatrThom

You know what that means...someone will edit them both together into a single 4hr movie.
I wonder if they will be hampered by the death of Elizabeth Peña.

--Patrick

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

This is the preview art for Incredibles 2 that came out earlier this week.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I hope they keep all the Art Deco stuff.
I mean, the "live action" stuff should stay "live action," but keep all the magazines/posters/"flashbacks" as Art Deco, yes please.

--Patrick

Eriol

Eriol

This is the only line in the article that matters to me:
Brad Bird will again be directing and writing this Incredibles tale
Sold. Will see. Will probably like.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Sizzle reel for Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Will Smith will be playing the Genie in the live-action Aladdin movie.

Full story: http://wdwnt.com/blog/2017/07/will-...ena-massoud-naomi-scott-play-aladdin-jasmine/

Dei

Dei

Ugh.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

chris

chris

that's an odd choice

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Disney liked his performance in After Earth.

drifter

drifter

Eh, no one is going to be able to match Robin Williams' irrepressible energy, might as well be Will Smith...

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

You want to know who I would have wanted as Genie for this live-action film?

Jeff Goldblum. You can't just copy what Robin Williams did, so why not go in a different direction?

figmentPez

figmentPez

I'm confused about Tim Burton directing a live action Dumbo... :confused:

Pro: The Pink Elephants on Parade scene will be great.
Con: that scene will also be half the movie.

chris

chris

Spoiler: Devito will be part of the circus's freak-show

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

This is the preview art for Incredibles 2 that came out earlier this week.

Let it begin. Let it begin! LET IT BEGIN![DOUBLEPOST=1500157420,1500157388][/DOUBLEPOST]
Will Smith will be playing the Genie in the live-action Aladdin movie.

Full story: http://wdwnt.com/blog/2017/07/will-...ena-massoud-naomi-scott-play-aladdin-jasmine/
Let it not happen. Let it not happen! LET IT NOT HAPPEN!

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Official name for the Star Wars lands at Disneyland and Walt Disney World is

Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge

Disneyland version will open first in 2019.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

First ever ride through Mickey Mouse ride, Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway. They talked about new theme song for ride, that is apparently written. New short to open ride, Mickey and Minnie on way to picnic and encounter Goofy driving a train and you "merge" with the shirt at that time to go through the ride.

Disney Hollywood Studios is the location, probably taking place of The Great Movie Ride.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

EPCOT

Ratatouille ride in France confirmed

New 360 degree film for China

Guardians of the Galaxy ride confirmed for future world portion

New table service restaurant with space station theme

New ride experience for Mission Space Green side, low earth orbit theme

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Star Wars themed hotel confirmed for Walt Disney World.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Magic Kingdom confirmed bringing Tron roller coaster to Tomorrowland next to Space Mountain. Tomorrowland Speedway is going away.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Disney Skyliner gondola system confirmed between Hollywood Studios, EPCOT, Caribbean Beach resort and Pop Century/Art of Animation resorts.

Edited to correct Caribbean Beach from Coronado Springs, my abbreviation confused myself on the notes I was jotting.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I'm confused about Tim Burton directing a live action Dumbo... :confused:

Pro: The Pink Elephants on Parade scene will be great.
Con: that scene will also be half the movie.
This seems like the right fit for him.

But so did Alice in Wonderland and look how that turned out.[DOUBLEPOST=1500161429,1500161384][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, we all know who should really play the genie. Someone who's played a genie before.

Shaq.

strawman

strawman

If you listen to the broadway version soundtrack they removed most (if not all?) of Robin Williams' unscripted work. Almost to the point where I wonder if there's a contractual obligation there. Regardless, the broadway genie is distinctly different, but still enjoyable, so I expect the live action will still be good even with will smith. He's not an incompetent actor, and makes an ok goof or straight man when called for.

Note that I've only listened to the soundtrack of the broadway Aladdin, and so perhaps there's a lot of RW stuff in the remainder of the play I simply haven't seen.

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

Disney Cruise Lines adding 3 ships by 2023, bringing fleet to 7 ships.

Pixar Fest event for Disneyland/California Adventure starting next year, new fireworks for the event.

Paint the Night parade moving over to California Adventure park.

Paradise Pier is being renamed Pixar Pier next year.

Cars Land getting a halloween overlay, Cars characters will be in costume.

Marvel Land featuring Spider-Man and Avengers to be built at California Adventure.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I think Will Smith is fine casting; my issue is in the making of the movie at all. But that's how I feel about all of these Disney live-action remakes, so they're really not for me.

I'd just like to see Disney instead do live-action remakes of some of their worse animated films, instead of only remaking the successful, beloved ones.[DOUBLEPOST=1500162121,1500162090][/DOUBLEPOST]
Disney Cruise Lines adding 3 ships by 2023, bringing fleet to 7 ships.

Pixar Fest event for Disneyland/California Adventure starting next year, new fireworks for the event.

Paint the Night parade moving over to California Adventure park.

Paradise Pier is being renamed Pixar Pier next year.

Cars Land getting a halloween overlay, Cars characters will be in costume.

Marvel Land featuring Spider-Man and Avengers to be built at California Adventure.
In case you think your posts are merging ... they're not. :p

Sparhawk

Sparhawk

In case you think your posts are merging ... they're not. :p
Knew they weren't, was typing between segments of the Parks & Resorts presentation at D23 (watching online).

Otherwise, disappointed that there was not an announcement for a new nighttime parade at Magic Kingdom, no announcement for new country at EPCOT.

Yoshimickster

Yoshimickster

I can't fucking wait for this show.

Far

Far

If this was Will Smith from Fresh Prince era, I would be kinda all over the casting. I'm sure he still has that buried in there somewhere. As it is, current Will Smith is not someone I'd have chosen.

I didn't seen it mentioned either but I guess Hugh Jackman is gonna be Scar in The Lion King. I know Jeremy Irons voice isn't quite up to the task any more and this feels like a reasonable enough choice.

Far

Far

Also, I want Andy Serkis mocapping either Abu or Carpet or I riot.

And Rafiki.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I can't fucking wait for this show.
I was worried the show was going to rush its pacing, but no need.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

I didn't seen it mentioned either but I guess Hugh Jackman is gonna be Scar in The Lion King. I know Jeremy Irons voice isn't quite up to the task any more and this feels like a reasonable enough choice.
Maybe, but apparently Jackman's reps are denying it. Last I heard, they were reportedly looking at Michael Fassbender for Scar.

Far

Far

Maybe, but apparently Jackman's reps are denying it. Last I heard, they were reportedly looking at Michael Fassbender for Scar.
If that's the case I'm much happier with the choice.

Bubble181

Bubble181

It's such a shame Alan Rickman isn't around anymore. He'd have made a great Scar, I think.

Eriol

Eriol

I wouldn't necessarily dismiss him, but I know what you mean.

How about Idris Elba? Deep voice and all that. @Dirona, what's your opinion on that one? ;)

blotsfan

blotsfan

I still don't see why we need a "live action" lion king when there are 0 human characters.

Yes, I know it'll print money which is all that matters, but this one just bothers me.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

I still don't see why we need a "live action" lion king when there are 0 human characters.

Yes, I know it'll print money which is all that matters, but this one just bothers me.
Is there a special effects house employing someone's relative that is short on work, perhaps?

Eriol

Eriol

Is there a special effects house employing someone's relative that is short on work, perhaps?
As long as it's all private money, go nuts. It's apparently what people will pay money for, and thus, go for it. Once it stops making money, it will stop.

If you want to cry out in despair for the fact that people will keep going to see crap (See: transformers movie franchise), then that's another argument.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Honestly, of all the news coming out from d23, I was just happy to finally hear what the plot is supposed to be for that live-action Dumbo film.

Disney’s new live-action feature film “Dumbo” introduces Holt Farrier (Colin Farrell), a former circus star who finds his life turned upside down when he returns from the war. Circus owner Max Medici (Danny DeVito) enlists Holt to care for a newborn elephant whose oversized ears make him a laughingstock in an already struggling circus. But when Holt’s children discover that Dumbo can fly, persuasive entrepreneur V.A. Vandemere (Michael Keaton) and an aerial artist named Colette Marchant (Eva Green) swoop in to make the peculiar pachyderm a star.

strawman

strawman

What are you talking about? There are dozens, maybe hundreds, of humans at 1:30 in the trailer:

In all seriousness, have you seen the new jungle book remake? Have you enjoyed any of the so-called "live action" remakes?

The Jungle Book shows they can do "live action" animals with character very well. I was wondering how they were going to apply the humor and silliness of cartoon characters to live animals (humans are silly anyway, so not as big a stretch) and they did a wonderful job, changing the basic character of the humor so it fits without changing the humorous situations themselves.

That remake and the others show they can explore aspects of the stories that weren't explored in animation - and in fact because people expect/allow animated films to be more fanciful, the live action remakes force them to re-evaluate aspects of the film and change them to be more realistic. Take Beauty and the Beast - why is the entire bar jumping in to sing the praises of Gaston when it's obvious that most don't really respect him the way he thinks they should/do? That change/adaptation/explanation forced by the "live action" nature of the film was hilarious and completely in character.

The exploration of Belle's background, the relationship of the townspeople to the castle/prince, etc all added color and commentary to an already good story. They didn't detract from it.

While the original stories captured themes and ideas that were great, the live action films haven't tarnished them, and in my eyes have only expanded on them, in some ways with improvements.

I don't doubt the new Lion King will be enjoyable. They've shown a reasonable ability at turning out a film that is fun and engaging.

But yes, the bottom line is money:

160 million investment: 2.3 BILLION box office. (Beauty and the Beast 2017)

:eek:

That's a 14x return on investment over two years (with some advance capital for the pre-filming work).

Most investors feel ok with a 2x return on investment over 7 years.

14x.

2 years.

If you had a printer that could print $100 bills, it would have to print 21 of them every minute, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year for two years to produce the same income.

Granted, that particular film is a bit of an outlier, but even if they only get a 8x or 10x return on investment it'll still be worth it, and they're releasing a new one nearly every year. On top of the other films which are new (star wars, marvel, star trek) from other properties. And they're still releasing blockbuster animated movies (Moana, Frozen, etc). It's not as if these new films are replacing other new film concept development.

So of course they're doing it for the money. Specifically for the 7 billion dollars they grossed in film in 2016, and their continual trek to improve that bottom line each year.

But they're still good movies, and given what I've seen of them so far, I have no doubt the Lion King remake will be very enjoyable.

blotsfan

blotsfan

I haven't seen them as I'm not too interested. Honestly, I've never really been a big Disney fan (in terms of their animated canon, not other studios they own). It might just be because Lion King is probably the only one I really love and Im just defensive about them remaking a movie I care about.

Bubble181

Bubble181

I've seen the new Jungle Book and the new B&tB and liked both...But I'm still apprehensive of Lion King. It's probably my most treasured Disney, and I'm not sure they'll be able ot do it justice in live action. The new Jungle Book and B&B worked but they're very different; in some ways less humorous/funny. Making things more "realistic" isn't necessarily a good thing. And I really have a bit of a WTF over those bones in the trailer.

strawman

strawman

And I really have a bit of a WTF over those bones in the trailer.
Yeah, it really made me wonder. It must be an intentional design decision. The only other possible explanation is that this is test footage (can we do a lion fight well?) and the environment was some sort of stock cave-with-bones scene, only there weren't any stock cave-with-elephant-bones scenes in the stock CGI library they use.

If they are incorporating human bones intentionally, there's probably some human element in the story in this version.

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

Yeah, it really made me wonder. It must be an intentional design decision. The only other possible explanation is that this is test footage (can we do a lion fight well?) and the environment was some sort of stock cave-with-bones scene, only there weren't any stock cave-with-elephant-bones scenes in the stock CGI library they use.

If they are incorporating human bones intentionally, there's probably some human element in the story in this version.
...You...you know that Lion King trailer is a fake, right? Or am I just misreading internet comments here?

strawman

strawman

...You...you know that Lion King trailer is a fake, right? Or am I just misreading internet comments here?
When I posted it I figured it wasn't real - production values are way too low, but I've decided to run with it just for the laughs.

So, about the bone cave, notice how they're all children's skulls?

filmfanatic

filmfanatic

When I posted it I figured it wasn't real - production values are way too low, but I've decided to run with it just for the laughs.
Thanks for the clarity. Just one of those moments when the internet can make clarity a little tough.

By the way, they've apparently gotten John Oliver to play Zazu.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Considering how much of that "trailer" looked like it was ripped straight from the Narnia movies (or wildlife stock footage), I had assumed it was fake right away.

--Patrick

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

GasBandit

GasBandit

Disney has announced it's starting its own streaming service, and thus is pulling all its property off netflix.

Hey Disney, I know you think you're the hottest shit ever, but here's how every american works:

Step 1) Is it on Netflix?
Step 2) Is it on Amazon Prime?
Step 3) YAR HAR TIDDLE DEE DEE

Covar

Covar

If Disney was bold they would call the service the Disney Vault, and just open the doors wide open.

Celt Z

Celt Z

If it were any other company, I'd have my doubts. But Disney has a catalogue that really could support it's own streaming. Not just the animated movies, but Marvel and Star Wars exclusives. Then there's all the tv shows they can stream, plus old ones like original Ducktales, Gargoyles, the Mickey Mouse Club. I could see parents or Disney fans shelling out for this more than, say, HBO Go.

blotsfan

blotsfan

If they package this with ESPN that'd be quite interesting.

Though bad for me since I currently get WatchESPN included with cable.