The Disney Thread: For Everything Concerning the House of Mouse

I hope Trump and DeSantis fight it out, Trump loses and goes rogue, running as a third party.

But of course, I wish even more the democrats would put someone up that isn't older than the crypt keeper. I don't want Biden.
And if this guy thinks you're old, holy smokes!

... I do absolutely agree though. He was a fine vice president and he should've run instead of Hillary, but this time he was too old and in 24 it'll be even worse. Can't the democratic party top understand that? It shouldn't be that hard to find someone qualified in their fifties or something. Nobody's asking for a thirty-five-year-old.

... I do absolutely agree though. He was a fine vice president and he should've run instead of Hillary, but this time he was too old and in 24 it'll be even worse. Can't the democratic party top understand that? It shouldn't be that hard to find someone qualified in their fifties or something. Nobody's asking for a thirty-five-year-old.
Boomers may be dying off, but they are still pretty consistant as voters and they absolutely hate Gen X and Millennials. The Core Dems basically see elderly statesmen as their only way to reach that White Boomer demographic.

See, that's the problem, you seem to think that they need to use an official title.

I don't think they do, not any more then that BBC article had to.

But i do wonder, would you have objected to calling him King of Great Britain ?
I just think that using the "wrong" title to identify him in a legal document was a mistake. I think the US Judiciary has gotten increasingly politicised over the past few years & if you get a Judge that wants to throw what Disney did out this gives them an option in a way that could have been easily avoided.

I probably wouldn't have objected to calling him King of Great Britain. Partly that's because it's part of his title - King of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Mostly though it's because while they're not actually one to one, over here UK & GB are often used interchangeably where using England instead will get called out.

I just think that using the "wrong" title to identify him in a legal document was a mistake. I think the US Judiciary has gotten increasingly politicised over the past few years & if you get a Judge that wants to throw what Disney did out this gives them an option in a way that could have been easily avoided.
You are getting way too caught up on the fact that "King of England" isn't his official title when it does not matter in the American legal system. Can Prince Charles through majority public opinion be considered the "King of England" beyond a reasonable doubt? Then yes, it can be a reliable argument in court. It's not the "gotcha!" you think it is over here.

If someone was attempting to say, legally do something to "Kamala Harris, Leader of the Senate." the law wouldn't get hung up on the fact her official title is Vice President while the job itself is "President of the Senate" because all those things are technically true. Charles, for all intents, is "The King of England" even if only in ceremony, just like he is technically the "King of Scotland".

The only way, legally, Disney would be in trouble is if they titled him something that no one within a reasonable doubt can consider a title they hold, like "King Charles, King of Sunny and Funland." No judge would throw out a case just because you shortened the long winded official titling down to "King of England", a title pretty much everyone here in the US call him anyways.

I just think that using the "wrong" title to identify him in a legal document was a mistake.
Yeah, i got that, but:

I probably wouldn't have objected to calling him King of Great Britain. Partly that's because it's part of his title - King of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Mostly though it's because while they're not actually one to one, over here UK & GB are often used interchangeably where using England instead will get called out.
The Kingdom of Great Britain hasn't existed since 1800, so it's just as "wrong" as King of England (1707) from the PoV of his actual official title.

The fact that you'd accept one colloquialism but not the other is just a cultural preference, and would not make any legal difference even if there was some sort of requirement to use the official title as per the peerage of the UK, which is the only way what you're thinking would matter legally (and, as ScytheRexx said above, it very likely doesn't under US law, esp. when they likely use King of England there, because they don't have those issue you where referring to earlier).

if you get a Judge that wants to throw what Disney did out this gives them an option in a way that could have been easily avoided.
Point is, it's not really a legal option... a judge doing that would not be using a legal out, so even without it they would just use some other BS excuse.

My inexpert opinion: It is their method for reasserting their IPs, especially the ones that are close to entering the public domain. In this case, they are problem just trying to cash in on the successes of those earlier live action films.

I can't believe we're going to see a live action version of the most evil character in all of Star Wars.

But enough about Chopper; let's see some Thrawn!

R2D2 is a foulmouthed urchin that gets into trouble all the time but is too cute to punish.

Chopper is his older brother who chain smokes and has done actual time.

The problem with writing a smart character is that the writer needs to be smart enough. Making Thrawn look smart by making everybody else hold the Idiot Ball world be a shame, as would just making him successful by ass pulls and Deus ex Machinas.
I sincerely hope they can do him justice.

The problem with writing a smart character is that the writer needs to be smart enough. Making Thrawn look smart by making everybody else hold the Idiot Ball world be a shame, as would just making him successful by ass pulls and Deus ex Machinas.
He was very much "the smartest man in the room" in Rebels. They just need to keep it up.

That's why most people hate writing Riddler storys in Batman.

The problem with a smart character is
the audience. The writer is forced to ELI5 to the other characters so the audience can understand.

The problem with a smart character is
the audience. The writer is forced to ELI5 to the other characters so the audience can understand.
The amount of times I have to pause a show to explain a scheme or who a character is or whatever to my wife sadly supports this claim.

I've heard it described as "Someone has to be the Galahad," i.e. there has to be someone in-universe to explain things to for the readers' benefit.

--Patrick

Hey wait a minute...you're all explaining things to me...that's not right, I'm not a sidekick, I'm...THE EVIL MIDNIGHT BOMBER WHAT BOMBS AT MIDNIGHT!!!@