The Disney Thread: For Everything Concerning the House of Mouse

I agree that the actors contracts need fixed for this new release option, but I don’t think the price is out of line. For a family of 4, I’d pay $40+ just for tickets. Not to mention food, and I don’t get to pause it or watch it again until it’s released for regular streaming.

$30 for fooking Jungle Cruise? No wonder Scar Jo is suing. That's too Got Damn much to pay for what is likely a second rate movie.
63% from critics, 95% from audiences according to Rotten Tomatoes. The general consensus is that's kind of like Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle (another Dwayne Johnson film): it's nothing groundbreaking, but it's pretty fun adventure movie (again, like Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle). So probably not worth $30 bucks unless you REALLY like the Rock.

I agree that the actors contracts need fixed for this new release option, but I don’t think the price is out of line. For a family of 4, I’d pay $40+ just for tickets. Not to mention food, and I don’t get to pause it or watch it again until it’s released for regular streaming.
Okay... but what if I'm the only person in my house who wants to see it? There's no "single viewer" price, it just assumes you're bringing a family of 4 to watch the movie.

Okay... but what if I'm the only person in my house who wants to see it? There's no "single viewer" price, it just assumes you're bringing a family of 4 to watch the movie.
They have no way to know that. Unless you want a camera in your living room verifying you’re the only one watching, they have to make an assumption on the average viewing audience.
Is it a good deal for a family of one or two? Maybe not. For a family of 3 or more? Maybe.

$30 for fooking Jungle Cruise? No wonder Scar Jo is suing. That's too Got Damn much to pay for what is likely a second rate movie.
Keep in mind that the $30 allows for permanent access to the movie so long as you have a Disney + account. It also tells you when the movie will be available to stream for regular subscribers before you purchase (in this case it's not until early November)
Last week my parents were in town and my daughter wanted to see the film with them. Tickets for 4 people would have been about $30 or more anyway, so might as well do it this way, see it from home, and be able to watch it again whenever we want.

Scar Jo absolutely should sue though ESPECIALLY because of the distinction I just mentioned. That's a lot of revenue that she's missing out on because Disney is giving customers options due to the pandemic. Claiming Scar Jo is being insensitive of the pandemic is bullshit just to hide their own bullshit. They should be giving her a portion of money from premium purchases just as a matter of good faith. She signed on for a portion of the initial revenue from the film's release which is assumed to be theatrical. You can't just go and change it so you don't have to pay her as much.

Last edited:
Talking about trailers that I find actively off-putting.... It may be canon Star Wars, but I did not see a single thing I liked anywhere in there. Definitely a no for me.

Ah. Well, I'm still not at all sold on the art style or anything, but at least that would allay some of my worries about the power creep etc.

figmentPez

Staff member
I thought the purpose of visions was that it was NOT canon specifically to allow them to do basically whatever they wanted.
Indeed, "Star Wars Visions is one of the rare new projects that is firmly and unequivocally outside of that canon to better free its creators." - Gizmodo

and from an IGN article, "Lucasfilm made the decision to allow these creators to tell stories that didn't have to fit in the official Star Wars timeline, even if they wanted to use established characters."

“We really wanted to give these creators a wide creative berth to explore all the imaginative potential of the Star Wars galaxy through the unique lens of anime,” James Waugh said. “We realized we wanted these to be as authentic as possible to the studios and creators who are making them, made through their unique process, in a medium they’re such experts at. So the idea was, this is their vision riffing off all the elements of the Star Wars galaxy that inspired them — hopefully to make a really incredible anthology series, unlike anything we’ve seen before in the Star Wars galaxy.”

Personally I like the art styles on display in the trailer, and I'm really looking forward to watching Visions.

Well, that's a clear and obvious additional indicator for me not to watch, then - I definitely won't be missing out on anything important to canon later on.
R2D2 firing a barrage of missiles, supposedly less powerful force users doing things no-one in the movies was anywhere near capable of, etc, plus art styles that don't appeal to me...
I mean, if it's outside of canon, hey, have at it, the more the merrier! Seriously, go for it! I know it'll be stupid popular with a specific crowd, it's just absolutely not for me, and that's fine.

I kinda hate to be a dick, but why is the Rocketeer black?
Why does this matter?

Also, as per the article:

" The Return of the Rocketeer will have an all-new creative directive, with Ricourt’s story focusing on a retired Tuskegee airman who takes up the Rocketeer mantle. "

It's also probably to differentiate this project from the Disney Junior Rocketeer series, which... kind of flopped after 22 episodes last year.

I'm down for whatever, considering how little interest Disney's had in the franchise since acquiring it.

GasBandit

Staff member
Jennifer Connelly in that white dress in The Rocketeer was a major factor in 12 year old me deciding that maybe girls were worth spending time around after all.

(My parents didn't take me to see Career Opportunities for some reason :p )

I watched the first three and then fourth played while I was in the room and I only paid half attention to it.

I kinda liked the first one, The Duel. It was at least stylish. Second was a big meh, and the third one with the twins was so filled with anime cliches that I couldn't roll my eyes fast enough to keep up with it. That one single-handedly dulled my interest in watching the rest of them.

The Duel definitely has style. It reminds me of those old Kurosawa films. The one with the band is all right. I really dislike the third one.

I think we all have just gotten done with Visions with ep 3. I watched the first 3 Wednesday, thought I might watch more… I keep finding other things to do and watch.