[Movies] The DC Cinematic Universe - The David Zazlav Dumpster Fire.

So, there's a rumor flying around about the plot of Batman V Superman, and if true, it really turns me off of the film.

The rumor, though probably completely unfounded, is spoiled below:

Doomsday is in it

You know maybe I gave it a bad shake. I mean, yes, Batman, the man that refuses to kill, may have said he would destroy Superman, but maybe he didn't mean it literally. Maybe he means destroy the ideal, yes that must be...

Nope, Batman just snapped Superman-Nazi's neck (also Superman has super Nazis for some reason).

On the rumour.

The rumour I've read is that it's a reanimated Zod under the control of Lex Luthor. Which makes the cut where Batman is swinging away from a heatvision blast possibly coming from ZombieZod rather than Superman.

Some sort of Big Bad to force the two to work together would make sense. I don't see it being Doomsday, though. Maybe in part 2.
Yeah, Lex Luthor. Jesse Eisenburg is playing Lex Luthor and he's in the trailer a few times, saying "the red cape is circling the drain" or something like that. Sounds like we're getting another silly Luthor. And Wonder Woman is apparently going to play mediator for Batman and Superman and convince them to work together against Luthor.

I get that Eisenberg's a good actor, but man he is anything but intimidating. He sounds like a whiny kid posturing to sound menacing, but ends up sounding hilariously dumb.

I get that Eisenberg's a good actor, but man he is anything but intimidating. He sounds like a whiny kid posturing to sound menacing, but ends up sounding hilariously dumb.
Lex Luthor has never really been imposing, though. At least not in physical presence. He's imposing in that slow reveal when you realize how frighteningly intelligent he is, and how he was 10 steps further than you had even began to imagine and playing you for a fool.

You know... up until he starts getting a fever for LAND*. Then it gets kinda campy.

* or cakes

I think for me it's more of a problem going from Clancy Brown's great voice work in various animated versions to Mark Zuckerberg. There's been some well-written Luthor, too, when he starts going off about how it's all based on Metropolis forgetting about him for Superman, how he feels small/weak because he's just human, etc. I know it's just a trailer but I don't get that from Eisenberg at all, I just see a whiny kid.

I think for me it's more of a problem going from Clancy Brown's great voice work in various animated versions to Mark Zuckerberg. There's been some well-written Luthor, too, when he starts going off about how it's all based on Metropolis forgetting about him for Superman, how he feels small/weak because he's just human, etc. I know it's just a trailer but I don't get that from Eisenberg at all, I just see a whiny kid.
Same. I was hoping he'd do more like animated series Luthor, a ruthless businessman, than ... more Gene Hackman.

I liked Max Landis's idea that he mentioned during a possible re-do of Death of Superman; that in Luthor's opinion, a messiah figure right now would be the worst thing for humanity, that all of mankind's efforts to improve or advance would cease because they'd already seen perfection, which they could never become.

It's not hard to write Luthor as a three-dimensional villain who believes what he's doing is best, and yet for the live action we keep getting these goofball maniacs.

I think you might be reading that too harsh. That actually doesn't look like the trainwreck type of shouting I expect to see on the internet. That just looks like two people who disagree with each other. Which, you know, happens.
The other guy's response is entirely reasonable there.

I think Eisenberg will probably be fine, but I'm still not over when it was rumored to by Bryan Cranston. Because that'd be the best choice easily.

Eisenberg lost me at that whole "hehe giggle the red capes are coming giggle snork" like he was a fucking dork. Lex needs to be a highly intelligent and sophisticated man, not a nerd who laughs at his own bad jokes.

Gotham as New Jersey instead of Chicago? Well, why not, I suppose....
In the old DC RPG, both Gotham and Metropolis were fighting over a (non-existent) space that bled NYC and North Jersey together. Bludhaven wasn't around yet (to my knowledge) and it wasn't on the map, but I could see it being Newark.

How the fuck is anyone supposed to care about this Superman? In Man of Steel his dad is like "Maybe you should have let a bunch of kids drown," which gives him no real historical motivation for wanting to save the family he kills Zod for, or to feel bad for taking Zod's life. He was never educated to value life: only secrecy.

In this trailer, mama Kent is all, "YOU AIN'T OWE US SHIT, SON, LET 'EM DIE."

Jesus. Fuck you, too.

In this trailer, mama Kent is all, "YOU AIN'T OWE US SHIT, SON, LET 'EM DIE."
Yes I am starting to think Zack Snyder finds wholesome and honest parents too unrealistic. I can't wait to find out that the reason Joe Chill murdered Thomas and Martha Wayne because it turns out Martha was having an affair with him, and that Thomas hired Joe to kill Martha in that alley only for Joe to get trigger happy and gun them both down instead . Oh boy, such drama and dimension! You get that one for free Zack.

Cynical Kent parents can work. In that scene with ma Kent, the look on Clarks face is one of disbelief. It is almost more heroic if Superman is raised with that grey morality, and through his life comes to realize his parents were wrong and chooses to adhere to a higher moral standing instead.

Is that what Snyder it's going to do? Probably not, but a guy can dream.

I swear... if part of the reason Bruce hates Clark is because he resents that no one was around to save his parents, I'm gonna murder a fucking usher. And yet I feel like Snyder would go that base.