[Movies] The DC Cinematic Universe - The David Zazlav Dumpster Fire.

Well, I mean, I liked him just fine as Generic 90's Nihilistic Sociopath Villain. But there wasn't really any Joker in him other than the makeup. Maybe it's the way he looked so dour the entire movie.
I can understand it. I thought he was great as Joker, but I also personally prefer a Joker who has some humor to go along with the terrifying chaos.

fade

Staff member
There were aspects that were done really well, on the other hand. The lack of a past, and inability of Batman to strike any fear in him whatsoever were both very good.[DOUBLEPOST=1416519101,1416518944][/DOUBLEPOST]
Come on dude... the disappearing pencil was hilarious.
It might've been if it weren't for all the weird body language and posturing and flat facial expression and flat reaction and flat laugh when the Joker walks in the room.

Come on dude... the disappearing pencil was hilarious.
Sort of why I said more. There were a few moments of that dark humor that I associate with Joker that were great, such as the disappearing pencil trick or his visual pun of a burning firetruck. It just felt like there could have been a bit more there. Not too much, but just a bit more.

Still, that is just nitpicking over what was a terrific performance and some bias because, to me, Batman: the Animated Series captured a great balance for Joker of menacing and hilarious (thanks, in part, to Mark Hamill's brilliant voice work).

The only real flaw in the Ledger's Joker is that he didn't have any of the theatrics you associate with the Joker. He does them for a reason: to mock Batman's own theatrics (and his own self amusement), because Bats does them to scare the piss out of everyone so Joker has to as well. We got a bit of that when he snuck into the hospital dressed as a nurse, but it's not a prevalent theme though.

Really, the best I can say about The Joker in TDK is that he always seems like he's having a great time, which is part of what sells him in the movie.

fade

Staff member
The only real flaw in the Ledger's Joker is that he didn't have any of the theatrics you associate with the Joker. He does them for a reason: to mock Batman's own theatrics (and his own self amusement), because Bats does them to scare the piss out of everyone so Joker has to as well. We got a bit of that when he snuck into the hospital dressed as a nurse, but it's not a prevalent theme though.

Really, the best I can say about The Joker in TDK is that he always seems like he's having a great time, which is part of what sells him in the movie.
See, I got the opposite impression from him. He read as bored or annoyed the whole time to me.

See, I got the opposite impression from him. He read as bored or annoyed the whole time to me.
He's only bored/anxious while he's waiting for his opponents to make his move... because his point isn't made until his opponents realize just much further ahead he is.

He's only bored/anxious while he's waiting for his opponents to make his move... because his point isn't made until his opponents realize just much further ahead he is.
Or when they realize that he's always got a bunch of plans up in the air, and he just picks which one to use on the fly depending on his circumstances. I never considered his plan to get into the police station with the guy he'd put a bomb in was insanely complicated, because I didn't think that he had it planned. It was more like, "I'll put a bomb in this guy, and figure out what to do with him later." Then he sees the guy in the holding cells after he's captured, and it's like, "Okay, I can use this." Did he plan to get captured in the first place? No, he planned to kill Harvey in the motorcade, but that didn't happen, so he adapted on the fly. That's not to say he doesn't plan - it took a lot of preparation to get most of the things in place for his various acts - but the way I read it, he always had a few things going on and thus could switch very quickly if foiled or unsuccessful.

Or when they realize that he's always got a bunch of plans up in the air, and he just picks which one to use on the fly depending on his circumstances. I never considered his plan to get into the police station with the guy he'd put a bomb in was insanely complicated, because I didn't think that he had it planned. It was more like, "I'll put a bomb in this guy, and figure out what to do with him later." Then he sees the guy in the holding cells after he's captured, and it's like, "Okay, I can use this." Did he plan to get captured in the first place? No, he planned to kill Harvey in the motorcade, but that didn't happen, so he adapted on the fly. That's not to say he doesn't plan - it took a lot of preparation to get most of the things in place for his various acts - but the way I read it, he always had a few things going on and thus could switch very quickly if foiled or unsuccessful.
No... he DID plan to get captured. The whole point was to kill the Chinese Banker (who was in holding in the station because he'd be dead in prison) to get one up on Batman, who was counting on Gordon to protect the guy he just abducted from China. Killing the banker undermined Batman and Harvey's faith in Gordon (which bit them in the ass later).

No... he DID plan to get captured. The whole point was to kill the Chinese Banker (who was in holding in the station because he'd be dead in prison) to get one up on Batman, who was counting on Gordon to protect the guy he just abducted from China. Killing the banker undermined Batman and Harvey's faith in Gordon (which bit them in the ass later).
Killing the banker undermined their faith in Gordon? The banker wasn't killed until after Harvey was burned and Rachel killed - it was the death of Rachel Dawes that made Harvey snap and Batman want to pull back. The Joker had people all through Gordon's department, but Batman never really lost faith in Gordon even then.

So the Joker had Rachel's police bodyguard in his pocket, and she gets abducted and put in a death trap while Harvey's being chased in the motorcade. Now, if the Joker's successful in killing Dent there, and having Dawes to dispose or make an example of, he knows there's no prosecutor who'd pursue the RICO case that the banker was instrumental in - those two were unique in being unable to be intimidated or corrupted - and the case was on shakey legal ground to start with. Therefore charges get dropped, the banker gets cut loose, and either killed right away or flees the country again. Batman can't force the courts to act, so he effectively loses.

That didn't work, so Joker used his henchman to get rid of Dent and Dawes a different way, striking a personal blow against Batman at the same time. While he was in the holding cells, it was simply a good opportunity to snatch Lao, so he did.

Apparently Oprah Winfrey is in the running for Amanda Waller? I'm kind of surprised Queen Latifah isn't in the running (or did she lose a ton of weight?)

I don't believe this. Will Smith would never play a secondary character. If he's not the star, he's not interested.

Wait... unless...

Oh god, please tell me Jaden Smith isn't in it.
He's playing Robin.

... the scary thing is, I can actually see that happening.

It's funny all this talk of Joker being a major character is actually killing my interest in a suicide squad movie.

It's funny all this talk of Joker being a major character is actually killing my interest in a suicide squad movie.
I have to agree with this. It's like, DC is afraid to take a chance on the strength of its lesser- known characters drawing audience. Meanwhile, Marvel is like" Hey let's make a movie about characters barely anyone has ever heard of! Guardians of the Galaxy, how is that for obscure?A talking raccoon and a tree that just says "I am Groot." And it goes on to be a giant hit.

figmentPez

Staff member
As far as I can tell, Joker has never been part of the suicide squad in the comics. The only reason to put him in the movie is name recognition, because they're too afraid to risk putting in a character that will make a better story.

As far as I can tell, Joker has never been part of the suicide squad in the comics. The only reason to put him in the movie is name recognition, because they're too afraid to risk putting in a character that will make a better story.
At the same time, I kind of feel like including Harley without having the Joker in at least a minor supporting roll is just asking for trouble. He shouldn't be the star unless he's the guy they are going after, but then you have to ask why Batman isn't in the movie instead of these guys.

No. And not because of any other reason than that the Joker has absolutely no business in a Suicide Squad movie.

Seems more like "people seem to love that Joker guy, let's shoehorn him into a movie that he has no business being in". I could see them having him be a minor part of the movie in her backstory, but you don't get Jered Leto to play a cameo in a major motion picture.

It just reeks of cash grab.
^^^^^^^

Is the Joker part of the Squad or he is only in the movie? I would like to see the Joker vs Squad.
Not really. I think he's shown up to fuck with Harley before, but he's never been part of it and I don't believe he's been their target often.

However, the idea of him being on the team is kind of ridiculous because he's not a "team" player and you can't really force him to do anything. He'd also never be recruited because they don't pick up people from Arkham (an Asylum) but rather folks who aren't criminally insane from places like Blackgate and Bellerev.