[Movies] The DC Cinematic Universe - The David Zazlav Dumpster Fire.

I honestly don't see why that matters. So it's set in 1980-ish instead of 2014? How does that work with Man of Steel being set in current times?
Because it might indicate this is an adaptation of The Dark Knight Returns.

I have no idea how that works with Man of Steel and it doesn't bother me because I don't care about that movie. But if this is The Dark Knight Returns, I'll see it.

Because it might indicate this is an adaptation of The Dark Knight Returns.

I have no idea how that works with Man of Steel and it doesn't bother me because I don't care about that movie. But if this is The Dark Knight Returns, I'll see it.
If by 'adaptation' you mean borrowing heavily from The Dark Knight Returns then by all means see it, but I am betting it's all the B-v-S portion of that story. Personally the last thing I need to see again in film or any other medium is the death of the Waynes. At this point, you would be hard pressed to find someone who doesn't know Batman's parents are dead... do we really need to see it all played out again?

....What? Batman's parents died?!? Way to ruin the next movie for me! Seriously, spoiler tag these things! Geez...

If by 'adaptation' you mean borrowing heavily from The Dark Knight Returns then by all means see it, but I am betting it's all the B-v-S portion of that story. Personally the last thing I need to see again in film or any other medium is the death of the Waynes. At this point, you would be hard pressed to find someone who doesn't know Batman's parents are dead... do we really need to see it all played out again?
Need? No. But I've never minded its presence in Batman stuff because it's an instant, a single moment, whereas having to go through Clark Kent's entire childhood again and again grates on me because it's a lengthy backstory we already know. Comparitively, Batman's origin can be told in 60 seconds. Also, since they're casting the Joker and Carrie Kelly, I'm guessing it's more than just the end. That said, since in this continuity there isn't a familiarity between Batman and Superman already, they're going to be building that up.

Look, I'm not saying it's going to be good. I'm just saying that doing Dark Knight Returns is the only way I'm going to see this thing, and if that is the case, then I will see it.

The only one of these I've really been looking forward to is Wonder Woman and they're going to fuck that up. A Dark Knight Returns adaptaion is about the only thing in this that I can see Snyder doing well, meaning it's likely the only movie in this DC lineup that I'll bother with.

I saw about something interesting, recently. Someone had asked Dwayne Johnson on Twitter if the Shazam film is going to be part of the DC Movie Universe that Warner Bros. was creating. Dwayne apparently said that they'd be keeping the fun tone that Shazam deserves, along with #Independence at the end of his post. This may suggest that the DC Comics filmed that are made by New Line Pictures (such as Shazam, and presumably Sandman and Fables), will be their own thing and not part of the Justice League Universe.
While it's kind of lame that it means we aren't getting Captain Marvel as part of the Justice League, I'd rather it have it's own fun tone than let it be turned into some grim dark shit.

Oh now it's on. Now it's on. Now I'm going to have to pull out the big guns.

That's right, I'm going to reveal the biggest Superman spoiler ever.

Ready?

Superman is actually... JIMMY OLSEN!

Wait, no, hang on I think I messed up.

Oh now it's on. Now it's on. Now I'm going to have to pull out the big guns.

That's right, I'm going to reveal the biggest Superman spoiler ever.

Ready?

Superman is actually... JIMMY OLSEN!

Wait, no, hang on I think I messed up.
I would bet that at some point in the Jimmy Olsen comic this has happened.

Actually, of all the crazy things that happened in that comic, I don't think that was one of them.
And I do mean crazy things.
[DOUBLEPOST=1416152933,1416152794][/DOUBLEPOST]No wait, I was wrong! A little more googling found this:

Actually, all this Jimmy Olsen talk reminds me of how they're making a Supergirl TV series. Not sure if anyone heard about. The set-up for it is that Kara Zor-El was sent to Earth to avoid Krypton's destruction, then being found and raised by a kind couple in Kansas. The series will start when she is in her mid-20s, when she decides to embrace her powers and use them for good.

Some of the main characters for the show (and this series' takes on them) will include Cat Grant (the head of her own media conglomerate known as CatCo and boss of Kara), Jimmy Olsen (a photographer described as an alpha male, but with a salt of the earth nature), Winslow Schott (a twentysomething tech whiz with a crush on Kara), and Hank Henshaw (head of the Department of Extra-Normal Operations and obsessed with intergalactic threats to the Earth).

I've been following this, fingers crossed that it's not another Birds of Prey. Or that it gets good before the last episode due to cancelation.

While I do appreciate DKR as a game changer, and I do love the art, I'm not an enormous fan of the story. I'd rather see something else.
If this franchise was in better hands, I'd feel the same as you, that I'd rather see them try at something else. But considering what we're left with, DC's grimdark + Snyder, I'll take DKR and then not watch anything else in this shared universe. Hopefully in a few years, DC wakes up to why Marvel kicked their asses and decides to make less gritty movies out of their superheroes. Right now the biggest heroes in superhero history are getting short end of the stick treatment while talent gravitates toward what seven years back the general public would've seen as a bunch of no-names.

The biggest difference is that Marvel has taken some major risks, but also entrusted their characters to people who respected and enjoyed the source material and really got what made people read these stories for decades. The different franchises need different narrative voices to work, and the MCU has shown that. You couldn't have Guardians of the Galaxy done with the same style as Captain America: The Winter Soldier - they're just too different in tone. But with each being told in their own way, audiences got 2 extremely well done movies.

I think the biggest problem is that WB/DC is mimicking Marvel without grasping why it works. Batman v Superman is setting up to be a sort of Justice League movie, but they haven't bothered setting up all the characters, so it's kind of going to wind up being "Who the fuck are these guys?" whereas with the Avengers, they'd already established all of the characters, so they were free to tell the story without getting bogged down, and it gave you new character development by showing how the characters reacted to each other, and complemented each other's strengths and weaknesses. It wasn't "Iron Man v Captain America... and a bunch of other people." It was a bunch of individual heroes learning to work as a team, against an enemy that none of them could defeat alone. And it worked beautifully. This... I don't know what this is going to be, but if it's DKR, I'll pass.

Superman seems to be trapped in a dimension where there's a blue filter over Earth's yellow sun. Wonder what that does to his powers...

No. And not because of any other reason than that the Joker has absolutely no business in a Suicide Squad movie.
It might just be for character building stuff between Harley and Joker. I mean... WE know who Harley is and what her motivations are, but I don't think most of the public does.

It might just be for character building stuff between Harley and Joker. I mean... WE know who Harley is and what her motivations are, but I don't think most of the public does.
Seems more like "people seem to love that Joker guy, let's shoehorn him into a movie that he has no business being in". I could see them having him be a minor part of the movie in her backstory, but you don't get Jered Leto to play a cameo in a major motion picture.

It just reeks of cash grab.

Seems more like "people seem to love that Joker guy, let's shoehorn him into a movie that he has no business being in". I could see them having him be a minor part of the movie in her backstory, but you don't get Jered Leto to play a cameo in a major motion picture.

It just reeks of cash grab.
You do if you plan on having the Joker show up in another movie later down the line. Really though... after TDK, I don't think I could see anyone else as the Joker.

Here's how the Jared Leto Joker rumours got started.
Anonymous Source: "Yeah, Jared Leto was called in to audition for something for WB..... I don't know what part. Maybe it was the Joker"
Internet movie sites: "JARED LETO IS THE JOKER OMG!!!!111!"

Seriously. That's what happened.

Here's how the Jared Leto Joker rumours got started.
Anonymous Source: "Yeah, Jared Leto was called in to audition for something for WB..... I don't know what part. Maybe it was the Joker"
Internet movie sites: "JARED LETO IS THE JOKER OMG!!!!111!"

Seriously. That's what happened.
So, you're saying it's true?! Leto is the Joker! Hot damn. That's some brilliant casting right there!

fade

Staff member
I still feel like the only human being alive who didn't care all that much for Nolan/Ledger's Joker.

fade

Staff member
Well, I mean, I liked him just fine as Generic 90's Nihilistic Sociopath Villain. But there wasn't really any Joker in him other than the makeup. Maybe it's the way he looked so dour the entire movie.