The Cruelest Extra Credit Problem

The concept, as it was explained, is the concept of being selfish vs. the concept of the greater good.

The professor stated elsewhere - don't have the link, sorry - that he's given out the two extra point only once or twice in his entire time providing the extra credit.

You really should choose 2 unless you need the 6 points to make a difference in your grade. It's in your own interest!

Enviado desde mi GT-I8190 mediante Tapatalk

fade

Staff member
I would bet money that no extra credit is given. A) half the students won't really read the problem--at least half B) There are trolls C) greed will drive people to the 6 choice.

People like to make those D&D alignment charts, but in truth, it'd be boring. Most people plot at True Neutral or Lawful Neutral, I think.

I would bet money that no extra credit is given. A) half the students won't really read the problem--at least half B) There are trolls C) greed will drive people to the 6 choice.
Like @jwhouk said, the professor states some where (I read it, too, but don't remember where) that he has only given the extra credit points once or twice in his career. Greedy trolls who don't bother to read!

The Tragedy Of The Commons (Baltimore Sun article)

The professor's name is Dylan Selterman.

Though Selterman was surprised to hear of the tweet's popularity, he wasn't surprised by the class' results; more than 10 percent of the class selected the six-point option, rendering everyone extra credit-less. Only one time in Selterman's time using this exercise (which he borrowed from one of his college professors at Johns Hopkins University) did students take the selfless route.

Prisoners dilemma?

I'd always pick 6 points. It's not like I would be facing actual loss if I didn't get the points.

Prisoners dilemma?

I'd always pick 6 points. It's not like I would be facing actual loss if I didn't get the points.
The Prisoner's Dilemma has a "win" state though. This one is a guaranteed loss unless everyone acts altruistically... while the Prisoner's Dilemma only works if at least one party is working in self interest.