The Burger King Original Chicken Sandwich is terrible

Status
Not open for further replies.

fade

Staff member
I don't think CG is trying to say that everyone who says they hate fast food is secretly eating it.

Escuchion, I've lived all over this country, and I don't think I've ever once had a single McDonald's fry that was wet or watery. In fact, I would go so far in the opposite direction as to say the one problem I've had with them is when they are over-fried. I can't even really envision what you're talking about. Like a steak fry? Because those things are nasty. There are two big problems I have with your arguments. 1) you assume everyone who says something positive about fast food are doing it in extremis (CG), and 2) the assumption that if you like fast food you can't possibly like anything else. Why? I like the idea of hot butt-naked sex and a protracted, tragedy-laced romance. I also refuse to deny myself the hot butt-naked sex on the premise that it's somehow lower-class. Indulging in hot-naked sex doesn't dilute my appreciation of the Shakespearian romance.

I call total rationalization on the "convenience" argument. This is the argument that has been put forth by a lot of watchdogs. I don't buy it because there are lots of convenient healthy food options. Given those, people still choose the McDonald's. Why? It's not necessarily cheaper or faster. Not to mention the five minutes it takes to slap together a sandwich in the morning.

For the record, I trace my own argument back to one I had in college with a friend of mine who to this day I consider a superb debater. And this is from someone who loves to argue. I made the same disingenuous comment that McDonald's was disgusting, and his reply, though much more elegantly worded, was "Bull. It tastes good and you know it. They've made it their business to make it taste good. They appeal to all the fundamental flavors your body craves. Now, it's terrible for you, but you can't in all seriousness deny its appeal, if for nothing else than your simple human biology is designed to seek out this very combination."

Since then, I've tended to look at people who say that it's nasty with a skeptical eye, because he had good points. Maybe it's one of those attempts people make to down something they used to be addicted to in order to avoid re-addiction?

Maybe it goes beyond simply smell and taste for some people? I know I've smelled the food and had the mouth water reaction. Hell, fast food restaurants dump the grease out in back specifically to draw people in. As you say, fade, it is specifically engineered to bring the most people in.

Visually, however, I find myself very turned off the fare at say a McDonalds or Burger King.

I also don't find the idea of it being "disgusting" as disingenuous. If something makes you ill, your body will direct you away from it, even if that didn't cause the illness to begin with. I was once sick and threw up a lot of Golden Grahams. That was 15 years ago and to this day I can't smell Golden Grahams and milk without feeling ill to my stomach. Just thinking about it makes me a little green.

Fade: I'm not saying you can't both enjoy Twilight and have naked butt sex; it's a matter of "there's something better two blocks down."

As for fries, come to western NY. The McDonald's fries there are watery garbage sprayed with salt and if you enjoy that, I can point you to a cow pasture. I've not tried McDonald's fries since moving from there, as I have no reason to, but it was more than one McDonald's restaurant. And I love steak fries. If McDonald's served steak fries, I'd be all over that. But they sell this potato rejection hash.

I will say they're not as bad as Wendy's fries, but that's not saying much.

I think your roommate is wrong. Yeah, a lot of science has gone into promoting and to engineering this stuff for mass consumption, but that's not an exact science on a world of billions of people, or when poor decisions are made. Their cheese is garbage. They put too much gunk on a burger to the point that it's almost worth getting a spoon. Fries, see above. Nuggets--where's the chicken? I don't mean they don't use chickens; I just think you get more fried bread bits than meat in your average nugget.

Wendy's does better with how their food is actually assembled, though it tastes like styrofoam.

Burger King burgers are a shadow of real burgers--they only make me hungry for the real thing. Knowing I can have something more substantial and better-tasting if I just put in the effort to go get it doesn't make me want to spend my money. I will admit that I like BK fries though. I don't eat them, and they're still shit for you, but they're firm and flavorful, like from flavor country.

M

makare

How do you guys feel about the whole thick burger thing?

I'm furious at Hardees. I had to wait 15 minutes in a drive through once for my burger (Hardees being one of the few fast food places I actually eat burgers. Their mushroom and swiss is fanfrickintastic or it was before the thick burger thing). They even had a sign that said "it's worth the wait" no it isn't. It's fast food. if I wanted to/ had time to wait I probably would be eating somewhere else.

And I don't like thick burgers anyway. They should have let you have a choice between thick burger and the old kind of not thick burger which I liked infinitely more.

I prefer eating a thick burger, but I agree--fast food is fast, otherwise it's defeating its purpose. 15 minutes is only a little less than I could wait in a real restaurant for a real burger.

I'm just going to pitch in that I'm a fast food junkie. I tihnk I may be addicted cuz I crave it so bad after only one week. I'm trying to break myself of it but it's hard. Very hard. Fade is right in saying that it appeals to every sense.

My favorite place, since everyone else pitched theirs in, I love Wendys and, locally, I love Mary Browns.

Fade: I'm not saying you can't both enjoy Twilight and have naked butt sex; it's a matter of "there's something better two blocks down."

As for fries, come to western NY. The McDonald's fries there are watery garbage sprayed with salt and if you enjoy that, I can point you to a cow pasture. I've not tried McDonald's fries since moving from there, as I have no reason to, but it was more than one McDonald's restaurant. And I love steak fries. If McDonald's served steak fries, I'd be all over that. But they sell this potato rejection hash.

I will say they're not as bad as Wendy's fries, but that's not saying much.

I think your roommate is wrong. Yeah, a lot of science has gone into promoting and to engineering this stuff for mass consumption, but that's not an exact science on a world of billions of people, or when poor decisions are made. Their cheese is garbage. They put too much gunk on a burger to the point that it's almost worth getting a spoon. Fries, see above. Nuggets--where's the chicken? I don't mean they don't use chickens; I just think you get more fried bread bits than meat in your average nugget.

Wendy's does better with how their food is actually assembled, though it tastes like styrofoam.

Burger King burgers are a shadow of real burgers--they only make me hungry for the real thing. Knowing I can have something more substantial and better-tasting if I just put in the effort to go get it doesn't make me want to spend my money. I will admit that I like BK fries though. I don't eat them, and they're still shit for you, but they're firm and flavorful, like from flavor country.

Dude, did Ronald McDonald rape your sister or something?

M

makare

and krisken and oc have their mouths open ready to catch it.

mmm

*i think i just made myself sick *

Oh sweet zombie Jesus, makare... it's bad enough that I'm camped outside a house filled with corpses (I exaggerate, but STILL), but now I have to have the mental image of Ronald McDonald skeeting into my horrified face.

I may never sleep again

Yeah, just be careful about being a lady around the Fry Guys. Those aren't hairs on them. What are they? Let's just say: Have you watched hentai?

Not enough fast food discussions go in this direction. It's a pity really.

Almost back on topic: back when I still ate meat, Wendy's had a kick-ass spicy chicken sandwich. Do they still make those, and do they kick ass less than I remember?

J

Jiarn

There are so many better choices for food than Burger King. Local joints will almost always beat it on flavor, size and price. Granted they're not as fast.

However in BKs defense, the Texas Double Whopper and the Chicken Fries with Zesty Sauce are pretty good on long road trips.

Fun story one time I was driving through North Carolina pulled into a Burger King drive through and Ordered a Whopper no pickles no Tomato. I have never seen fast food people more pissed off. I had to repeat my order twice at the window and even then I heard the guy in the back complaining about having to make my meal. Of course the entire time I'm staring at the person who is supposed to be handing me my food singing "Hold the pickles, hold the lettuce special orders don't upset us."

Most bizarre fast food experience I've ever had. I mean come on I don't like pickles and I don't like tomatoes but the way they acted it's like I ordered a genocide with extraordinary killings.

Status
Not open for further replies.