The Awesome Videos Thread (with Extra Sauce!)

So... I'm not entirely sure why a video on Cow Hoof care popped into my feed, but god damn if it isn't interesting.

Who knew hoofs could get cavities? Not me.

So... I'm not entirely sure why a video on Cow Hoof care popped into my feed, but god damn if it isn't interesting.

Who knew hoofs could get cavities? Not me.
I did, but I had about 20 years of helping my step-father take care of some of his cattle. Sometimes that involved trying to find where a cow wandered to to birth her calf, or getting cattle sorted when it came time to sell. He never had more than 100 head at any one time, but he had rented lots all around the county to keep them at.

figmentPez

Staff member
It's amazing how learning more about something can make you realize just how superficial your previous understanding of the subject was:

Smarter Every Day 259 - How Does a Carburetor Work?

Slow motion video of the fuel going through a transparent carburetor is amazing.

GasBandit

Staff member
So, here's my entire childhood and adolescence in a video, from 1985 to 2000 and beyond...

I was SO into the music systems of this era of tech. I loved messing with them, be it the old Yamaha FM synth chips, or the NES square and triangle waves, and I even tracked some amiga MOD files of my own.

I actually remember the SK-1, but never had one.
Buddy of mine did have a TI-99/4A that I got to mess with, though.

Don't forget to check out the works of Tim Follin if you want to see how much performance and complexity you can squeeze out of that rudimentary 4ch NES sound chip if you have sufficient talent and determination.

--Patrick

figmentPez

Staff member
Hmmmmm...
This might belong in the politics section, but I expect that it would be more effective if we just required the owners of apartment complexes to install better insulation, and other energy saving measures, in their properties. With more than 30% of the population renting, that's a huge chunk of people who very often have poor insulation, aging heating/cooling equipment, etc.

Clearly it would be easier to guilt individuals into doing stuff like setting up complicated schedules for their thermostats, because landlords are people with money who will oppose any legislation that could force, or even encourage, them to do the right thing, but I'm pretty sure the most effective thing to do would be give people better housing.

I've heard of it, but never had it.

I always thought of cheddar cheese on apple pie as a southern thing, but evidently it's not. It took a lot of cajoling to get my wife to give it a try, but once I did, she was hooked.