The Awesome Videos Thread (with Extra Sauce!)

figmentPez

Staff member
Rust-Oleum NeverWet - Product Demonstration

Most of the demonstrated uses of this look pretty damn pointless, but the application to a cellphone is amazing. If this works as advertised, and keeps working, that's pretty awesome cellphone protection. I'm not sure I'd trust myself to apply it well enough to not ruin my own phone, but maybe there will be places to get it professionally applied.

The fabric protection, though, seemed pretty poor. That shirt looked very uncomfortable. Shoes make sense, if they still breathe with that stuff on them, which I doubt they do. So, I'm not sure what applications this has besides making electronics waterproof, and making hard surfaces easy to clean. I'm wondering if this stuff is actually non-toxic, or if it's just GRAS (generally regarded as safe) and will prove to be really nasty stuff in 5 - 10 years.

So, I'm not sure what applications this has besides making electronics waterproof, and making hard surfaces easy to clean.
This makes anything you want to survive outside in the elements (furniture, wooden structures, etc) a whole lot more durable. If it keeps water from sticking to things, this will also keep ICE from forming, keep metals from corroding, keep bacteria from forming on porous surfaces, etc. I can think of tons of uses.

If you can play guitar the way he does (that two-handed percussive style) the basketball bit is essentially just a party trick.

figmentPez

Staff member
The Seattle Public Library recently set the record for the longest book domino chain. I'm torn between thinking this is amazing, and cringing as books fall off of shelves.

This makes anything you want to survive outside in the elements (furniture, wooden structures, etc) a whole lot more durable. If it keeps water from sticking to things, this will also keep ICE from forming, keep metals from corroding, keep bacteria from forming on porous surfaces, etc. I can think of tons of uses.
Windshield. High, difficult-to-reach exterior windows. Tents. Tarps. Ponchos. Diaper pails. Litterboxes. Computer screens. Watches. And on andonandonandon

--Patrick

figmentPez

Staff member
Windshield. High, difficult-to-reach exterior windows. Tents. Tarps. Ponchos. Diaper pails. Litterboxes. Computer screens. Watches. And on andonandonandon
Windshields, windows and computer screens aren't going to work, did you see how much it fogged up the glass? This isn't completely transparent stuff, you'll note they didn't apply it to the screen of the iPhone.

I'll grant you tarps, and diaper pails for sure, that sounds pretty awesome. Litter boxes will greatly depend on how scratch-resistant this stuff is. If it can't take the abrasion of kitty claws and kitty litter, then it won't help keep a catbox clean.

GasBandit

Staff member
I love British politics.

That phrase at the end, incidentally, was "great supine protoplasmic invertebrate jellies."

GasBandit

Staff member

I seriously just picture a future like in Half Life 2 where these buggers are killing us all.
THE HAAAAAAAX!

Well, for the time being their ability to kill us will be limited by their hour long charge time for 8 minutes of flight. Like most cool-thing areas, the major limiting factor is current battery tech.

A triple-play!

--Patrick

GasBandit

Staff member
I'll have to save it for later... I'm interested but can't stop down for 30 minutes to watch it at work.

Edit. Ok, watched it 8 minutes before I got tired of listening to a scatterbrained music BA shut in go stream of consciousness about defying established tonality and started imagining her and her village getting trampled and burned by ravaging barbarians, their broken bodies lamenting as they died that they wasted so much time on esoteric bullshit.

Also, I bet she's unemployed.

She keeps talking about not being able to play the original composition due to copyright, but if she's playing it herself and not playing a recording of someone else, it's her performance and falls under her copyright.
For broadcast purposes playing a copy written song, note for note, falls under what RIAA is suing people about. This includes Youtube. For our church, we cannot air any music that isn't original to the performers or has an open license to allow it's broadcast. If we use a song that isn't open license we have to pay the royalty fees or face a lawsuit.