Dave

Dave

test post

what the ****, ten characters?
10 characters for what?

What do I need to change?

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Wooooow, this is an ugly board. Are there other skins?

Found the skins.

Rob King

Rob King

Hey hey.

Yeah, it is a bit bland. But I smell potential!

Also ... do BBcode or-whatever-they-are-called-s work here?

Do they?
DO THEY?
DO THEY??

Rob King

Rob King

Woohoo! They do.

Dave

Dave

Hey hey.

Yeah, it is a bit bland. But I smell potential!

Also ... do BBcode or-whatever-they-are-called-s work here?

Do they?
DO THEY?
DO THEY??

Yes and I'll be adding more BB codes as I get to them. I had to make the jump a little (a LOT) faster than I wanted. Trust me, things are going to start changing all around you.

wana10

are we gonna get our avatars back? i dunno who is who without them anymore

Rob King

Rob King

Awesome. Sorry if I came off rudely. Don't worry. It's not impatience. Or impotence. It's excitement (which is pretty much the opposite of both of those)

:D

Dave

Dave

are we gonna get our avatars back? i dunno who is who without them anymore
The avatars are here. I just need to set the size so that they can be seen. You may have to reload them, though.

wana10

we can set profile pictures but not avatars at the moment

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

The avatars are here. I just need to set the size so that they can be seen. You may have to reload them, though.
Tried to change mine. No options to allow that are available... yet.

(ETA: avatars are back, so are post counts... but not signature images)

Twitch

Posts are made quite large by avatars like Darkaudits...

wana10

but then professor utonium accidentally added an extra ingredient to the concoction...

chemical X!!!!!

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

It's still within the 200x200 limit.

Dave

Dave

I wonder if there's something that sets them to the side like phpBB.

Twitch

That's what I mean Dark, your avatar didn't bug me when it was on the side of your post but when it's the length of the post + your avatar it gets annoying. Hopefully there is a skin that puts it on the side.

Dave

Dave

That's what I mean Dark, your avatar didn't bug me when it was on the side of your post but when it's the length of the post + your avatar it gets annoying. Hopefully there is a skin that puts it on the side.

BOOM, baby!

jwhouk

jwhouk

I'm here, though I think my signature is oversized.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Speak of the Dave, and he shall appear. :Leyla:

wana10

BOOM, baby!
kicking ass dave, keep it up

Twitch

BOOM, baby!
You're a god among men.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Ugh. Ok, after resetting my password I got on too...The board's almost as ugly as Ed's hooties, but at least avatars are o nthe side in one of the themes. Still, ED! Work! Peon! Where are you?!

...oh, wait, I forgot myself. Let me restart.

Oh nobel Board Overlord, would you deem it at all worthy of yuor attention to listne to your most humble servant? But a moment of your time, which may seem insignificant to you, but would mean the world to yours truly. My lord? :-P

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Okay, better now. SALSA SHARK

Bubble181

Bubble181

On a more serious note, Ed, apparently my inbox is 100% full; all available space is taken up ith empty messages without a sender. :confused:?

Shazam

Me likey.
Found a suitable skin that doesn't act all wonky on me, so I don't have much to complain about.

Dave

Dave

Ugh. Ok, after resetting my password I got on too...The board's almost as ugly as Ed's hooties, but at least avatars are o nthe side in one of the themes. Still, ED! Work! Peon! Where are you?!

...oh, wait, I forgot myself. Let me restart.

Oh nobel Board Overlord, would you deem it at all worthy of yuor attention to listne to your most humble servant? But a moment of your time, which may seem insignificant to you, but would mean the world to yours truly. My lord? :-P

I don't understand. Do you need something? Was there a question there?

And as to the PMs, apparently they did NOT get moved over. Damn it!

Twitch

And I think the post on the first page was complaining that there are only ten posts per page.

Twitch

I don't understand. Do you need something? Was there a question there?

And as to the PMs, apparently they did NOT get moved over. Damn it!
My PMs are all there.

Bubble181

Bubble181

In the first one, no, there was no real question, other than noting that most ofthe current themes look horrible (and they all seem to be missing the links underneath the posts to go a level up).
PMs do seem to have come along,but any empty space was filled with bogus messages...

Espy

Espy

Awwwwwww yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

PMs got moved over... hoo boy did they get moved over. Copied all sent and received and put the lot of them in both folders, with 50+ empty ones to boot.

On a lighter note, can we ger a smiley button on the quick replies, please?

Krisken

Krisken

Interesting so far. Hopefully It won't take me too long to figure out this board.

Dave

Dave

And I think the post on the first page was complaining that there are only ten posts per page.
Fixed. I rule!

Bubble181

Bubble181

Fixed. I rule!
Yes, yes you do.

Espy

Espy

Huh, it's weird that I have to click on a button in someone's post in order to get the quick reply working...

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

And apparently sigs won't animate?

Maybe I have to upload it...

Twitch

Maybe it's some kind of anti spam thing?

Dave

Dave

PMs got moved over... hoo boy did they get moved over. Copied all sent and received and put the lot of them in both folders, with 50+ empty ones to boot.

On a lighter note, can we ger a smiley button on the quick replies, please?
That takes a mod. I'll check it out in a while. Other things are more pressing. :p

Bones

Bones

awesome in like flint

Bubble181

Bubble181

Yup, like resizing Chazwozel's avatar :-P Max size doesn't seem to work ;-)

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

Huh, sigs have bamboozled me.

Dave

Dave

MAN am I learning a lot! A lot more than I did when poking around on my own, that's for sure!

Espy

Espy

MAN am I learning a lot! A lot more than I did when poking around on my own, that's for sure!
Yeah poking around on your own is fun but eventually you want someone else to play with it for you.

Rubicon

o_o

Dave

Dave

Yeah poking around on your own is fun but eventually you want someone else to play with it for you.
Yeah, but this was all my fault so I have to step up and get it done.

Dave

Dave

I do like the way that you can easily change your view by the dropdown near the bottom left of the page. Nice!

Rubicon

i keep getting database errors when i try to update my avatar, either through direct link or uploading

Dave

Dave

i keep getting database errors when i try to update my avatar, either through direct link or uploading
Care to put in the url here?

Espy

Espy

I do like the way that you can easily change your view by the dropdown near the bottom left of the page. Nice!
Yeah, that is sweet...

klew

klew

I am replying quickly!

wana10

hey dave, can you replace the current logo up top with this one below? the light blue background on the current one clashes with the backgrounds on othe color schemes

edit* this new logo has a transparent background and so recolors itself depending on the theme

edit2...maybe this should have been a pm. my bad

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I finally got my password changed so I can log into this new board.

I'd like to say right now, that the image verification sucks. It took me five tries to get one right.

Shakey

Shakey

0.o

Crazy.

Dave

Dave

hey dave, can you replace the current logo up top with this one below? the light blue background on the current one clashes with the backgrounds on othe color schemes

edit* this new logo has a transparent background and so recolors itself depending on the theme

edit2...maybe this should have been a pm. my bad
Very dark!

wana10

Very dark!
sorry...i was looking at it over the post area background color, not the top background color. my bad :(

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Huh, it's weird that I have to click on a button in someone's post in order to get the quick reply working...
And where is that little button?

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

The one that looks like: vQRv

wana10

or on the default theme it's the paper and quill, far bottom right of a post

Dave

Dave

And where is that little button?
I'll see what I can find to take care of that. It annoys me greatly. How is that possibly a quick reply if you have to click as many times as any other form of replies?

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

guys, I don't know if I have any tests coming up, but I am touched that there is a thread for talking about them. that way, I can rant about them or talk about how I think I am prepared.

thanks for having a space available for that.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

guys, I don't know if I have any tests coming up, but I am touched that there is a thread for talking about them. that way, I can rant about them or talk about how I think I am prepared.

thanks for having a space available for that.
Too bad you already failed and have to repeat all your courses. :p

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

hm...

I don't remember my academic record looking like that, but I will take your word for it.

daaaaaaaaaang. I really dropped the ball.

Andromache

really liking the flexibility in the User control panel. Got the full WYSIWYG editor goin!:smug::Leyla::Leyla::Leyla:

Hylian

Hylian

I had to reset my password but I am on now :)

Calleja

Calleja

Yeah, this quick reply thing kinda sucks... why don't just keep it active?

Ross

Ross

I had to reset my password but I am on now :)
Same here. Password wasn't working for some reason, but it's all good now.

Andromache

Same here. Password wasn't working for some reason, but it's all good now.
me 3

i thought Dave had finally come to his senses and banned me. oh well.

Dave

Dave

me 3

i thought Dave had finally come to his senses and banned me. oh well.
Never, my dear. Never.

Calleja

Calleja

ooh, I have one thing I *should* be testing out... *cracks knuckles*

This thread needs more...

BRUCE!!!

Andromache

not even if I admit to the murder of some poor sap?

wana10

not even if I admit to the murder of some poor sap?
wrong alt my dear, try again?

Andromache

did you just call me "my dear?" what are you, 78?

ThatNickGuy

I don't like this and don't understand why everything needed to be rehauled. Also, don't understand why my password didn't work when I went to login. Or what happened to half the discussion in the comics thread or...

...yeah, like I said, I don't like it and it's not really motivating me to stick around. Will have to see.

EDIT: Scratch that. Suddenly, all of my posts are registering as Guest?

Calleja

Calleja

I like all the extra little features as much as the potential for new ones once Dave gets bored and goes exploring for them, though.

Give it a try Nick, it's not so bad.

Dave

Dave

I don't like this and don't understand why everything needed to be rehauled. Also, don't understand why my password didn't work when I went to login. Or what happened to half the discussion in the comics thread or...

...yeah, like I said, I don't like it and it's not really motivating me to stick around. Will have to see.

Really? This is what might drive you away? It'll get better I swear. I said it before and I'll say it again - I had to jump faster than I wanted to and now I'm playing catch up.

Andromache

my gods man, it's a forum, it's not like your wife is cheating on you with your mom.

Dave

Dave

my gods man, it's a forum, it's not like your wife is cheating on you with your mom.
again?!?

ThatNickGuy

Sorry, I came home in a kind of foul/down mood and took a bit of it out on here and the changes. I just don't understand why the change was necessary when there was nothing wrong with the other boards.

On the bright side, at least the whole boards were up and shut down, then Dave called us all lifeless losers saying the shut down was a mercy killing.

Andromache

no, that's cool, just take it out on the one guy spending all his free time and actual $$ working to ensure that you have a forum in which to bitch. He deserves it I'm sure.

ThatNickGuy

*sigh* I'm not trying to be hard on him about it. This is one of those things that I don't understand at all and so far, there's no explanation as to why the change needed to be done.

Forget it, at this point, I've already made myself look like an asshole and you're just going to...

...*sigh* Forget it.

Andromache

*sigh* I'm not trying to be hard on him about it. This is one of those things that I don't understand at all and so far, there's no explanation as to why the change needed to be done.

Forget it, at this point, I've already made myself look like an asshole and you're just going to...

...*sigh* Forget it.
from what i gather, the change had to be done because the phpbb back end was starting to become a houseful of pissed off cats to deal with. Which is to say, it was becoming harder to manage.

Not all change is easy, and sometimes its painful, but Dave did what he had to to keep a place open for everyone to gather going forward.

And I'm not going to do anything bad TNG. You're not an asshole. Just give it time, alright? No one thinks you're an evil bastard or anything. :p

ZenMonkey

ZenMonkey

Overly sizable avatar?

Dave

Dave

...*sigh* Forget it.
When I set up phpBB I didn't know what the hell I was doing and I did it all borked up. I had code flying everywhere and cobbled something together that - while functional - was hardly stable at all. So I found myself in a bit of a quandry when it came to attempting to expand into anything at all. Basically as long as things went on the way they were nothing much was happening.

Then in the last few months our useage went dow a staggering 33%. People started wandering away and we weren't bringing in any new blood. So the people that were massive posters got burned out and slowed down, but there was nobody there to pick up the slack! So I came to the realization that we needed to evolve or die.

That's where vBulletin came in. It's stable, it has an actual support team and unlike phpBB, to make any changes you go totally off of the Admin control panel. With phpBB to make any changes you have to go into the guts of the code itself, which starts to cause issues. For example, the custom comics. I promised Kris that we'd slowly wean ourselves off of his stuff but then Mycohl disappeared and I had no idea what he did to get the stuff up there! We started running into issues between the mods, causing weird things to happen that I frankly didn't know how to fix and phpBB doesn't have a support staff as it's open source.

So in short, I had to make a change and try and grow the site so we could survive. That's when I started reaching out to Tom Brazelton and working on a viable front page option that could bring in new faces and keep us alive.

I know that it may seem like this was done for nothing more than shits & giggles, but there really is a method to the madness and I really don't want people to get the wrong impression.

Stick around, Nick old Buddy. I promise you'll be happy again and stay that way for a long, long time.

(Plus you can play tetris!)

Dave

Dave

Overly sizable avatar?
200x200 still too big?

Calleja

Calleja

Overly sizable avatar?
I fracking LOVE that avatar. It's like, so you. Awesome.

ZenMonkey

ZenMonkey

No, I meant whether mine specifically is too annoyingly large.

I fracking LOVE that avatar. It's like, so you. Awesome.
Glad you like it!

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

No, I meant whether mine specifically is too annoyingly large.
It's not too big on my resolution/board setup, matches the Serenity thing pretty well, actually.

ZenMonkey

ZenMonkey

I'm using Serenity as well and thought it matched kind of nicely.

Also I block many animated avatars but I can't stop watching yours. Love it.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

I'm using Serenity as well and thought it matched kind of nicely.

Also I block many animated avatars but I can't stop watching yours. Love it.
Thanks! I try to use simple ones so they're not annoying, at least.

Shegokigo

Shegokigo

Zenmonkey's avatar looks fine in Wcraft skin as well.

ZenMonkey

ZenMonkey

Zenmonkey's avatar looks fine in Wcraft skin as well.
Thanks. Guess I'll keep it for now.

Pojodan

The post, it is test!

Denbrought

Denbrought

Murr. What about having automatically (or by checkbox) a _________________ above the signature space? It's getting kind of confusing to have the stuff at the end of the posts w/o any separator (depends on the sig, I guess).

@Li3n

@Li3n

BTW, my password no longer worked over here and i had to reset it... what's up with that?

Pojodan

Reverting to a less-likely-to-be-blocked-by-Zen avatar for this go-around of the forums.

Denbrought

Denbrought

Tested and verified in all themes that the spacer between content and signature is there and working.

Got screenshot/details?
Firefox, latest version. Adblock is disabled, noscript is disabled.

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/4134/samplelge.png

Frank

Frankie Williamson

The lines are there, just barely, barely visible. I have the colour saturation on my monitor cranked super high (I like vibrant, cartoonish colours when I'm playing video games, sue me) and I can barely see them.

Denbrought

Denbrought

Huh. If I strain my eyes I can barely see them. Serenity strikes me as the kind of skin that would have the separation coloured black or something.

ZenMonkey

ZenMonkey

BTW, my password no longer worked over here and i had to reset it... what's up with that?
Same goes for everyone.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Same goes for everyone.
Didn't notice any sticky about it... so i wanted to make sure...

Denbrought

Denbrought

It does/should:

Weeeeird. I'll try from the cs labs computers and see if it's my compy.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Right now, it is covered in here:

http://www.halforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8642

But I can see if a more obvious general announcement can be made.
Aha, knew i should have looked more carefully.

Andromache

also, spoiler tags seem crazy/missing?

Dave

Dave

Spoiler tags. I'm on it.

Dave

Dave

Spoiler tags. I'm on it.
Spoiler Tags - DONE!

Dave

Dave

Quick reply FIXED!!

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Bingo, bango, bongo!

Um... :Leyla: isn't on the list of smilies in the QR box.

Jay

Jay

Thanks for fixing quick reply.

ps: i'm using this to post this. zomg

Dave

Dave

Bingo, bango, bongo!

It is. When you open the smilies box it only shows a few. At the very bottom there's a link to open ALL smilies. Ba-da-boom!

Jay

Jay

QR = Quick Reply :)

Shakey

Shakey

Change make Shakey mad!

Lookin good though.

Dave

Dave

Testing Youtube links.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Doesn't seem to work, at least not for me :-P Video is not available in my country though, so that might bork it. *shrug*

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

to test youtube tag, you pick a video that has embedding disabled?

Dave

Dave

Test fail. Maybe the whole link is needed.

Nope. Hmm.

Dave

Dave

to test youtube tag, you pick a video that has embedding disabled?
That could be the issue. I'll try a different one.

Wahad

Wahad

Works for me.

Dave

Dave

Sweet! YouTube tags are NOT needed. Simply paste in the URL and you're good. If it's embeddable then it'll come up in a player.

Shakey

Shakey

Awesome, it works.

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

Jake

Jake

I had a greasemonkey script working on the old forum that allowed custom avatar sizes, but I'll have to rework it for this new site.

Dave

Dave

I had a greasemonkey script working on the old forum that allowed custom avatar sizes, but I'll have to rework it for this new site.
Sorry about that, old bean. Shouldn't be too much of a change, no?

Bubble181

Bubble181

Very nice, Dave. You may be allowed to stay, after all.

But ALLEN HAS TO GO! He's insulted Brittany once too many :waah:

Wahad

Wahad

Brittany?

Bubble181

Bubble181

Oh, Britney, I guess. Who cares, anysway? :-P

Wahad

Wahad

I still don't get it. Who are we talking about?

Allen who is Quiet

Allen, who is Quiet

Should I leave britney alone?

Bubble181

Bubble181

Wahad

Wahad

Oooooh. :whistling:

Wahad

Wahad

Both stickies in the General board (IRC/Podcast threads) are broken. That is, the threads don't work.

Andromache

Spoiler Tags - DONE!

I have a crush on you for this

Wahad

Wahad

Also, subforums seem to be lacking a 'mark topics read' button.

Mr_Chaz

Also, subforums seem to be lacking a 'mark topics read' button.
If you click on Forum Tools just above the Last Post column it drops down a list that includes Mark This Forum Read, is that what you're looking for?

Wahad

Wahad

...why are they hiding it there? Yes, that's what I was looking for, thanks.

Wahad

Wahad

Both stickies in the General board (IRC/Podcast threads) are broken. That is, the threads don't work.
Works now, apparently it's only the 'show last post' button.

Dave

Dave

I'm a fricking madman, baby!

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Bingo, bango, bongo!

It is. When you open the smilies box it only shows a few. At the very bottom there's a link to open ALL smilies. Ba-da-boom!
Exactly. :Leyla: should be in the first list in the Quick Reply box instead of having to go to show all smilies.

Jake

Jake

Fixed the avatar scaling script (sort of). Since Dave's monkeying changed the avatar image alt text from "User Avatar" to the user's name followed by "Avatar", it became a more complex task. So due to my shittosity in using regular expressions in Greasemonkey and Xpath, it just resizes any image with alt text, which so far appears to only be avatars and the big logo. I like the looks of it so far, though. Customize the maxWidth and maxHeight variables to your liking. Currently they are set to 50 pixels each, which is pretty small.

And if anyone who doesn't suck with regex in said environments wants to fix it, feel free. I could use the learnin'.

Attachments

Calleja

Calleja

Is there anyway you can include an exclusion for the big logo in your script, Jake? I don't know how to point Greasemonkey variables to specific images, or I'd give it a go myself...

Andromache

The ignore list is a bit harder to find. I missed the option where it was right next to the username, as a friend/foe thing.

I thiiink this is the direct link?
http://www.halforums.com/forum/profile.php?do=ignorelist