Terrible tech you loved

Status
Not open for further replies.

North_Ranger

Staff member
I would love to get an old fashioned wind-up pocket watch. Just to keep in a vest pocket and make a show of pulling out to check any time somebody asks me the time. I may or may not wear a monocle for this social interaction.
I actually inherited such a watch; a 1920s Zenith that belonged to my great-uncle. I admit not using it in public, but it's still a bitchin' pocket watch.

fade

Staff member
My dad gave me a pocket watch he kept up his ass in Vietnam. Not because he was a POW or anything. Just for funsies.

GasBandit

Staff member
I had a zip drive too, back in the day, but was nowhere near the enthusiast my father was. He backed up EVERYTHING onto zip disks. Heh.. my zip drive was PARALLEL. It took FOREVER.

Another piece of bad tech I loved in my childhood? PHOTON.

Huge clunky infrared wannabe-lazer tag that didn't really work right if you played it outside in the sun.

Hey North_Ranger, the watch makes you stylish and your ability to tell time won't die out daily based one the number of messages and pictures people send you! I have a few watches and one pocket watch from the 1800s that I bring out for special occasions. Wish I could wear the watches more often but they get snagged working in server racks and wiring closets.

Awful tech? I've worked with damned near all of it, the Zip drive qualifies because in it's era the capacity was wonderful but did anyone else here get to experience the click of death and goodbye everything on that Zip disk?

Nope. Not yet. Still have plenty of 'em, though (in 100 and 250 varieties) and the drives to boot. I don't have any bernoulli or Jaz disks or carts, but I do still have some MO 230/640 disks (and a working 640 drive). Man, I wish MO would go mainstream. I love 'em for archiving.

--Patrick

Status
Not open for further replies.