[Movies] Terrible/good Interpretations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Beyond the name of the characters... the entire movie had almost no relation to the book?
OOH, I hate that.Like in the Mario Brothers movie...HOW DID I FORGET TO TALK ABOUT THE MARIO BROTHERS MOVIE! Dear lord did that game have none of the magica at all. And Yoshi creeps me out to this day.

True dat. Sadly enough, I can say that the shoujo manga version of Twilight is probably a good adaptation. As horrible as that series is, they at least know their audience. Too bad they can't get good leading actresses.

Counting video games, does Batman Arkham Asylum count? It was awesome that's for sure.

My only real memory of Spirits Within (because it was bland and dumb and I don't remember the plot) was this big black lady who was in the theater. At the part where the black dude is about to die as he fires at the spirit thing, she starts screaming "AW NO, DON'T KILL MY BABY, NO DON'T LET HIM DIE AW NOOOO!"

My only real memory of Spirits Within (because it was bland and dumb and I don't remember the plot) was this big black lady who was in the theater. At the part where the black dude is about to die as he fires at the spirit thing, she starts screaming "AW NO, DON'T KILL MY BABY, NO DON'T LET HIM DIE AW NOOOO!"
Well I have my reason to smile today.

Howl's moving Castle. Now this is not a bad movie, but having read the book I can say this is a really bad interpretation. The ending is changed completely, Howl's crow form(What?) makes NO sense in context with the story, and characters are either changed completely or written out of the story-line all together. I love Miyazaki but...damn!

The movie adaptation of The Last Unicorn was surprisingly faithful.
Also, Pinocchio in Outer Space was incredulously brainsplode-y

--Patrick

I'm still of the mind that Mortal Kombat was a great movie adaptation. It was extremely faithful to the source material. The fact that the source material was just mindless beatum up action doesn't make for a great movie, but it sure makes for a fun one.

Good: Lord of the Flies (1963): They took out a few things hear and there but it was a SUPERB flick. Very dark imagery, the kids were just horrifying!

Bad: Wolverine and the X-men: Specifically one episode. Where they made Makino....Silver Samurai's wife. They made MAKINO, SILVER SAMURAI'S WIFE! EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEW! I know their not blood related in that universe, but it's still friggin' gross! Why...why couldn't Silver Samurai be Makino's brother in the show? WHY?! The oginal story with Makino and Logan is a friggin' classic so don't go screwing it up! Wolverine's life sucks all-ready so don't make it any worse!

fade

Staff member
The movie adaptation of The Last Unicorn was surprisingly faithful.
Also, Pinocchio in Outer Space was incredulously brainsplode-y

--Patrick
[Lumberg voice]
I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with you there, Bob. I thought they ripped the soul right out of the book, personally. Molly Grue was a terrible interpretation especially. And Haggard. He lost his ambiguous morality (it's never really clear in the book if he's "evil" or not). The robin hood scene lost all its teeth, and they cut they the melancholy ending out.

Full disclosure: This is probably one of my favorite books, so I'm a bit biased.

[Lumberg voice]
I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with you there, Bob. I thought they ripped the soul right out of the book, personally. Molly Grue was a terrible interpretation especially. And Haggard. He lost his ambiguous morality (it's never really clear in the book if he's "evil" or not). The robin hood scene lost all its teeth, and they cut they the melancholy ending out.

Full disclosure: This is probably one of my favorite books, so I'm a bit biased.
I saw the Nostalgia Chick of it. The unicorn's singing was TERRIBLE too.

Good Interpretation(partial assumption because I haven't read the book): Rocky Horror Picture Show. Mostly because it was written and directed by the original author. Anyone else find it weird how Richard O'brien is a regular on Phineas and Ferb now?

Rocky Horror Picture Show was a stage play, not a book. It is extremely faithful because Richard O'Brian not only directed it, but also many of the cast members were in the original stage show as well.

Rocky Horror Picture Show was a stage play, not a book. It is extremely faithful because Richard O'Brian not only directed it, but also many of the cast members were in the original stage show as well.
Huh. I heard it was a book first but whatevs. And yeah I know that Tim Curry was the original Frank N' Furter. Apparently he was supposed to have a German accent with blonde hair but they changed it to the hilarious cockney weirdo we know and love. And Tim Curry hated for a good portion of his career due to type-casting.

You know what movie I HOPE would have a good adaptation. Avenue Q. If someone gets the rights to that and SCREW IT UP I'm gon bust some heads.

Bad one, bad one, mmmmmmmmmmmmm OH! Spider man 3. Not because of Venom, no he was one of the few things they got RIGHT in that flick. I'm talking poor ol' Gwen Stacy. Mary Jane Watson was Spidey's original love interest, and GWEN STACY is the competition. I can deal with Doc Ock being changed into a somewhat better villain, I can deal with the fact that over a billion people saw Spider-man's secret identity and yet he STILL hasn't been found out by the press. BUT THIS! This is low. LOW I SAY!

There were so many things wrong with Spider-Man3 I like to imagine a world where the studios didn't pressure Sam Rami into making that blender of Spider-Man mythos.

oAh man, and Sandman. SANDMAN IS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE RELATABLE! He is a jerk! A big Sandy jerk! Yeah he became a hero once but we all know that that didn't turn out well. I do not care about his dying daughter, I want Sand-man to be the villain I know him to be. Also what ticks me off about this movie even more is that it was so universally hated that any chance of there being a Venom spin-off was dashed. Man, he was my favorite bad nineties anti-hero! Yeah I liked his mini-series, so sue me.

One adaptation I'm on the fence of is the "Farenheit 451" movie. The basic message of the movie is still there, but there was a lot left out of it too.
The main character murdering his boss, the 3 legged robo hound, just a lot missing.
Personally I feel it was too early for this to be made into a movie.

I totally disagree with Sandman. He was always a thug, but he was never outright evil.
Well yeah, but he at least had a differnt back story than in the movie. The movie just tried too hard to make him pitiable.

Bad interpretation: Hercules: Okay movie, but not a good interpretation of Greek myth...at all. For one, his name was Hercules and not Heracles. Two, Hera was his birth mother when he was Zeus' bastard son whom Hera despised. 3, It's a kids film based on Greek mythology. Greek mythology is full of blood, betrayal, rape, and all sorts of stuff. It doesn't really translate well to a kids film. Also, this is COMPLETELY petty but I didn't like it how Hercules didn't have a beard. In fact, what is up with movies based on Greek stories where the heros are completely clean shaven? Is a bit of scraggly hair two much to ask for?

Hercules is the Roman version. Heracles is the Greek version.
And yet they used the Greek name Hades in the movie, rather than the Roman name Pluto. CONTINUITY ERROR! Pure sillyness.

The animated series was...different as well. I remember thinking Icarus was funny though.

Modern culture mixes and matches them all the time. Hercules is interesting in that while most of the greek/roman myths are widely known by their greek names, Hera, Zeus, Posiden, Hades etc... Hercules is usually known by the Roman version.

Oh, it's soo much deeper than that...

As the legend goes.

Once upon a time there was (semi) peace in the land of Halforums. The good king Dave ruled his subjects from his admin castle and the subjects engaged in all sorts of jest and hilarity. Then one day, a dark cloud covered the land in the form of a dating post. In this post, the evil Icarus exposed his love for (and assumed dalliance with) a 14 year old maiden and thought it was "all cool" because she was "mature for her age".

Suddenly the land was enveloped in a flame war the likes of which have nigh never been seen before or since. In the aftermath, the unfortunately named Iaculus was repeatedly mistaken for the vile Icarus.

Eventually, Icarus was driven from the land and all returned to normal. Unfortunately, the noble Iaculus is still to this day occasionally teased about the similarity in their names.

And they all lived happily ever after.

I saw the Nostalgia Chick of it. The unicorn's singing was TERRIBLE too.
I think they picked the perfect people to do the voices of the main characters. I think they should've gotten Marnie Nixon or someone to do the singing, though, because Jeff Daniels and Mia Farrow can't sing. Not well enough to do their parts justice, anyway.

The story of The Last Unicorn is one of my favorites, too. And while I admit that the movie was not exactly the same as the book, I would submit that, compared with other movies based on source material (books, actual events, etc), they did a fantastic job of at least attempting to remain faithful to the book, as opposed to, say, Ella Enchanted, The Black Cauldron, or Legend of the Seeker. Kati chimed in with The Lover, and Exit to Eden as a couple more examples.

--Patrick

OH GOD... Exit to Eden... how they tried to turn a book about a woman's descent into the erotic world of BDSM into a comedy with Rosie O'Donald I'll never understand.

Harry Potter six. I fucking hated that one. Probably the worst in the whole movie series. 'specially since they DIDN'T EVEN EXPLAIN WHAT THE HALF-BLOOD PRINCE WAS!

Status
Not open for further replies.