[Movies] Terrible/good Interpretations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a topic where we talk about some of the worst, and best interpretations that have been made into cinema.

Best: Scot Pilgrim vs. the world.

Worst: Dragonball Evolution.

Adaptations would likely be a better term to use.

Best: Sin City and 300, both for being more or less exactly like the comic, panel for panel. Walking Dead, oddly enough, for the opposite reasons. Yojimbo (loose adaptation of Dashiel Hammet's Red Harvest), Road to Perdition, Shawshank Redemption, The Shining, Lord of the Rings.

Worst: Watchmen, Catwoman, Steel (both nuff said). Probably more I can't think of, off hand.

Totally disagree on that. I thought the last one was great. Though, that does give me this idea:

Good: Ninja Turtles 1
Bad: Ninja Turtles 3

Worst: Watchmen,Steel (both nuff said).
While I disagree with Watchmen, just because I think it's far from the worst adaptation of a comic book put on the big screen, Steel on the other hand, I mean, can something be a bad interpretation of something that's already bad? I guess so, and if anything, Steel would be it.

While I disagree with Watchmen, just because I think it's far from the worst adaptation of a comic book put on the big screen, Steel on the other hand, I mean, can something be a bad interpretation of something that's already bad? I guess so, and if anything, Steel would be it.
Just be thankful that we learned something from the Steel film. That the words "Shaq" and "motion-picture" do not go together.

Are we judging by what is a good adaptation of the source material, or what is an adaptation from a source material and is good?

Example: Jaws is a terrible book and a fantastic movie. So technically, it's an adaptation which is good, but isn't necessarily a good adaptation since it represents the source differently than what it is.

Twilight is a boring book and a boring movie, so technically the movie is a good adaptation in that it represents its source accurately.

For one, Steel's a great character and one of my favourites. Two, much like Catwoman's movie and Ed Brubaker writing the comic, at the time of Steel's theatrical release, Christopher Priest was doing an amazing run on Steel.

I'm quantifying Best and Worst in this as most closely/least closely adapted the source material.

Best Novel to Movie: Misery
Best Comic to Movie: Going by my criteria above, I'm going to say Superman 1/2, with an honerable mention to Iron Man
Best Play to Movie: Kennith Branagh's Hamlet (as much as I hate that play, he did it well). Another honorable mention to Noises Off.
Best Musical to Movie: Chicago

Worst Novel to Movie: A Stitch in Time
Worst Comic to Movie: Catwoman, dishonorable mention to the Reb Brown version of Captain America
Worst Play to Movie: ANY of the shitty Miramax "re-imaginings" of Shakespeare, such as O or 10 things I hate about you.
Worst Musical to Movie: Phantom of the Opera (hear Gerard Butler sing terribly!)

I'm quantifying Best and Worst in this as most closely/least closely adapted the source material.

Best Novel to Movie: Misery
Best Comic to Movie: Going by my criteria above, I'm going to say Superman 1/2, with an honerable mention to Iron Man
Best Play to Movie: Kennith Branagh's Hamlet (as much as I hate that play, he did it well). Another honorable mention to Noises Off.
Best Musical to Movie: Chicago

Worst Novel to Movie: A Stitch in Time
Worst Comic to Movie: Catwoman, dishonorable mention to the Reb Brown version of Captain America
Worst Play to Movie: ANY of the shitty Miramax "re-imaginings" of Shakespeare, such as O or 10 things I hate about you.
Worst Musical to Movie: Phantom of the Opera (hear Gerard Butler sing terribly!)
Ah dude, I freakin hated 10 things I hate about you. And O was just Othello...but modern. Nothing different, just modern. Add that lame thing that Iago's character said in the beginning and you got yourself a crap movie.

I actually liked the newer Phantom movie, though I will admit Butler's singing is pretty awful compared to the rest of the cast. Poor guy doesn't hold a candle to Crawford.

TBH I was never a big fan of To Kill a Mockingbird. Other than Gregory Peck's performance I saw nothing remarkable about it, particularly when you compare it to the novel, which was vastly superior in every way.

And Ford was played by a guy with no charisma... Mos Def must be the dullest comedic actor in history. At least when Buster Keaton was stone-faced it was funny.

And Ford was played by a guy with no charisma... Mos Def must be the dullest comedic actor in history. At least when Buster Keaton was stone-faced it was funny.
Damn straight. I do not really care for Mos Def as Ford Prefect. Hell, couldn't they have least given him red hair? It would be funny and slightly made up for him being so damn boring! Also I didn't care for him suggesting the Restaurant and the end of the universe. ANY ADAMS FAN KNOWS IT WAS ZAPHOD WHO SUGGESTED THAT! And I still weirdly like the movie. Bad interpretation, but not the worst movie I've seen.

fade

Staff member
Going to have to disagree with LotR being a "best" interpretation. Crying hobbits, meaningless changes to the story, and the worst sin of all was weakening characters. Especially Sam. A close second was weakening Faramir, and a close third was weakening Frodo. Sam's scene at the border of Mordor should've had the the strength it had in the book. Sam should never have been tempted by the ring, except perhaps to spare Frodo the burden. Faramir was universally agreed to be a bonehead move, removing his entire purpose in the story. Frodo turned into a pile of goo. Where is his strength at weathertop? at the ford of Rivendell? Gone. Where was Denethor dying on the bodies of his ancestors instead of stupidly running off a ledge like a cartoon character. Bleh. Where was Merry and Pippin's strength in their own adventures? All turned into weak goo, like Jackson thought hobbits were babies.

Now it wasn't bad, and it was good to have a movie with some great effects and costuming. The mood was nice. Gandalf's death (spoiler alert) was actually sad. But not a best interpretation.

No I'm saying the movie is a great adaptation from book to film. It's an EXCELLENT movie, and is pretty widely accepted as being superior to the source.

No I'm saying the movie is a great adaptation from book to film. It's an EXCELLENT movie, and is pretty widely accepted as being superior to the source.
Ooooooooooooh, okay. I hear the same thing about Clock-work Orange being better than the book too.

The 90s Spider-man cartoon. DEAR-LORD! What the hell was up with Vulture's powers? Wasn't a guy with magnetic wings simple enough?

I know I'm double-posting but I don't care!

This is one of the worst movies based on a book I have ever seen. It takes way too many liberties with the source material and turns it into a stupid action flick. I would be okay with Zemeckis making it a different interpretation of Beowulf, but why did he just call it "Beowulf". People who actually LIKED the book like me were expecting something similar to the actual fucking story. But no, he changes a LOT! He could have called it Beowulf: The true story, or Beowulf: Rising(generic title for a generic movie) or Beowulf: Nothing like the book it is based on completely changing the third act of the original story and if you wanted to make your own story to begin with why bring down one of the first stories printed on paper. Not to mention the message Beowulf learns when he dies is the exact opposite as in the book! In the book as he lies dying after finishin off the dragon, he realizes that living your life is more important than seeking glory. In the movie it's "Damn. Guess I shouldn't have fucked Angolina Jolie." Fuck this movie! Also apparently Zemeckis thought the book was boring in high school. ARE-YOU-SHITTING-ME?! This isn't a matter of him having a different opinion than me, this is a matter of him making a full fucking CGI Hollywood movie based on a story that he didn't fucking understand. Go back to making real movies you HACK!

You should check out one called Beowulf & Grendel. It focuses more on, well Beowulf and Grendel, so it's not entirely loyal to the original. And it's less mythic. But goddamn it's a good movie.

You should check out one called Beowulf & Grendel. It focuses more on, well Beowulf and Grendel, so it's not entirely loyal to the original. And it's less mythic. But goddamn it's a good movie.
I've seen a bit of it and what I've seen was good. THAT was a good interpretation, they didn't take anything out more or less put stuff in. Plus I always like stuff where it shows things from the villains perspective.

Another good interpretion of Beowulf that isn't a movie is the book Grendel.

I have never cried more for a murderous troll/giant/whatever the hell Grendel's species is.

With a name like Eaters of the Dead, you can't go wrong can you?

A really good interpretation that I know of oddly enough the Japanese Wolverine cartoon. Probably the only thing to accurately portray Chris Claremon'ts original story from what I've heard.

Status
Not open for further replies.