[TV] Talk about the last TV you watched, the catchall thread

The first 6 episodes of AD season four. It is not disappointing, and definitely is taking advantage of being on Netflix. Binge watching pays off big time.

I'm amazed it happened. I just wish they could have kept the dynamic of the original show. It seems like it was filmed and written around everyone's disparate schedules. There are almost no scenes with the whole family together.

We are about 9 or 10 episodes in. Granted the format is slightly different and I too wish there were more scenes of everyone together, but overall it's fantastic. It's as good as I had hoped it would be.

The Hero Yoshihiko and the Demon King's Castle.

It's a 12 episode, live action Japanese action/adventure comedy series about parodying JRPGs (mainly Dragon Quest), made on a shoe string budget. There is something just so charming about this show that it's hard to describe it, but it's often balls to the wall insane at times. Some of the things I love about it?

- The party is being ordered around by Buddha and Jiro Sato plays him as a completely incompetent deity who quickly loses all patience with his asshole adventurers.
- The outright copying of sound effects and enemies from Dragon Quest. The main hero is dressed explicitly like the hero of Dragon Quest 5.
- their willingness to make jokes that only someone outside of Japan would get (for instance, there is a Discworld joke in one episode).
- A hero willing to drop his quest for the slightest reason.
- The constant bandit attacks by people who really shouldn't be bandits. My favorite? This guy.

The series apparently did well enough that it got a sequel series this year, The Hero Yoshihiko and the Key of Evil Spirits. Need to start pouring over those as well.

I think it actually her looking weird came from the fact that they stuck her in a wig. Once she "cuts" her hair she looks much better.

Also my girlfriend found this one http://www.nndb.com/people/554/000091281/

Meta level: Arrested Development

Eh, when they flashbacked to her from the original run then immediately back to her with short hair, it's still insanely noticeable how much work she's had done.

That George Maharis thing is incredible though.

just finished episode 5 of the new season of Arrested Development last night. Its getting better with each episode. and yeah, Portia de Rossi. why?

Some of the obscure shit people have noticed in the new Arrested Development.

Proof that Ann is the one who sabotaged Gob's act.

Shot of her on Bruce McCullough's show

And visiting Gob in the hospital afterwards.

No cross on her necklace.

fade

Staff member
I normally like British humor and nerdy jokes, but I couldn't get into spaced at all. It's like I kept waiting for something to actually happen.

Spaced is the best of sitcom odd couple comedy mixed with geek pop culture. I suppose if you hated Shaun of the Dead or Hot Fuzz then its not the show for you, since it's all Edgar Wrights direction.

fade

Staff member
I love both Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz. I watched the first episode of Spaced and thought it was awful.

Same here. Might be the same director, but it's not the same feel. I didn't think it was awful, just draggy and I felt it really reached hard for the jokes.

Then you just have sometimes terrible taste syndrome. It's not recognized by the DSM IV yet but it affects many people.

This is exactly where I am so far. I'm gonna stick with it but it doesn't feel a whole lot like Hot Fuzz or SotD.
These statements make absolutely no sense to me. Shawn of the Dead literally reused shots and jokes directly from the show. I don't understand how they can NOT have the same feel.

As to what I'm watching, I decided to give DS9 another shot. I never made it past season 3 before.

These statements make absolutely no sense to me. Shawn of the Dead literally reused shots and jokes directly from the show. I don't understand how they can NOT have the same feel

I'm only like two episodes in, dude, settle down.

And I know what you mean about DS9. I like it okay but I've tried watching it a few times now and never got past season 5.

These statements make absolutely no sense to me. Shawn of the Dead literally reused shots and jokes directly from the show. I don't understand how they can NOT have the same feel.

As to what I'm watching, I decided to give DS9 another shot. I never made it past season 3 before.
That's a shame, just like TNG the first two seasons are rough. The show really picks up in season 4 though.

I'm only like two episodes in, dude, settle down.

And I know what you mean about DS9. I like it okay but I've tried watching it a few times now and never got past season 5.
I was referring to all the posts expressing this sentiment, not specifically yours. It just happened to be the last one in the line.

fade

Staff member
Actually I only made it about 3 episodes in, too. Frankly, I got bored. Maybe the similarities come later, but I didn't make it there.