[Movies] Talk about the last movie you saw 2: Electric Threadaloo

Just watched HEREDITARY for the first time.

Wow. Just wow.

That was... definitely NOT worth the hype.

Like, it's incredibly well shot, brilliantly directed, and has some great acting.

But for all the build up and set up, the ending is completely bonkers stupid. I was LAUGHING at the last five to ten minutes for its ludicrousness.

I frowned and said "Seriously?" as the credits rolled. The twists and turns were insane, to be sure, and I appreciate what appears to be mostly practical effects, but that ending was fucking laughable.

This was the new horror everyone went ga-ga for? Really? With that ending?

Mutafuka(MKFZ)- Holy SHIT, was this movie needlessly massacred by Rotten Tomatoes. The animation was fantastic, the voice acting was great, just DAMN good!

Us - I liked this one a lot, but I think the biggest surprise was Tim Heidecker. I never got into the Tim and Eric thing, finding it to be too random usually for my taste, but he has a turn in this that is somehow both funny and deeply disturbing. Unfortunately, it included a very last minute twist that undermined everything I like up to there, so that was kind of a bummer, but I'd still recommend it for horror fans.

So I just watched RALPH BREAKS THE INTERNET.

It was...okay, I guess? Definitely nowhere near as good as the first one, but it's fine. The only stuff that made me really laugh was anything involving the Disney princesses.

Aside from that, I probably won't ever watch it again.

Definitely nowhere near as good as the first one, but it's fine.
I still want to see it, but I'm already going into it with the expectation that the original was a real tough act to follow, so I'm going to be willing to cut it some slack for sequelitis. I mean, not every movie is gonna be Shrek 2.

--Patrick

So I just watched RALPH BREAKS THE INTERNET.

It was...okay, I guess? Definitely nowhere near as good as the first one, but it's fine. The only stuff that made me really laugh was anything involving the Disney princesses.

Aside from that, I probably won't ever watch it again.
I liked it, and I thought the bits in the GTA-clone with Gal Gadot were good. But it wasn't as good as the first one.

Yeah I wouldn't call it "Straight to DVD" bad, but I wouldn't call it a perfect sequel either, just felt kinda off. Especially since Fix-It Felix and Calhoun were BARELY in it.

I think what really brings Ralph Breaks the Internet down is that they has some really good ideas, but not a full, compelling, cohesive story. It didn't hit the same emotional stakes as the first one.

So I saw Underwater tonight. Solid suspense flick with some neat monsters. Kinda like GRAVITY meets ALIENS, maybe? Nothing spectacular, but a fun 2 hours. Definitely a fun roller coaster ride kind of movie.

My main criticism is I never felt like they established a firm sense of location. I didn't quite understand where the characters were going sometimes. And everything kicks off so fast, there's little time to establish this big place.

Still a fun movie, either way.

So I saw Underwater tonight. Solid suspense flick with some neat monsters. Kinda like GRAVITY meets ALIENS, maybe? Nothing spectacular, but a fun 2 hours. Definitely a fun roller coaster ride kind of movie.

My main criticism is I never felt like they established a firm sense of location. I didn't quite understand where the characters were going sometimes. And everything kicks off so fast, there's little time to establish this big place.

Still a fun movie, either way.
As a Subnautica junkie, this is on my "to watch soon" list, so I'm glad to hear it's a solid movie.

Yesterday

It's an enjoyable movie, even if only for the soundtrack. I feel like it doesn't quite deliver on its premise, as it sets up these mysteries of why did this happen? Why are these select few things what's different? Why are there only a select few who can remember them? And it abandons these mysteries in favour of the love story, which is a fine love story, sure, but I just feel like the movie could have been a little bit more than it was, had it been given a slightly longer run time.

As it is, it's a cute Romcom with a kind of fantasy twist that also happens to have a soundtrack that will put you in a good mood and make you want to listen to the Beatles for the next week

I still haven't forgiven my first film instructor for making us watch Eraserhead. Or Lynch for making it. WtF, man.

On the other hand, the instructor did preface it by saying, "This is what being from Philadelphia does to you."

Underwater

Solid sci-fi horror that delivers on the tension and the thrills. It feels a bit derivative at times, with clear influences from films such as Alien and the Abyss, but even though it treads familiar ground, the final product is still a well-made, well-acted film. In terms of acting, this is Kristen Stewart's movie to carry, and she does a competent job. I do wish the visuals were a bit clearer, to give us better views of the creatures, but I acknowledge that this is more of a personal preference, and the movie's "less is more" strategy is also a valid one. And, after all, they're deep underwater, where the lack of visibility is the whole point.

It also helps that Kristen Stewart spends a not-insignificant amount of time running around in her bra and/or panties.

And Jessica Henwick is even hotter than her.

Paddington
Paddington 2

I watched these earlier this week and meant to write something about them. In a word? Delightful. Absolutely, genuinely, wholesome and delightful. But also just really well made movies. The cinematography has some fantastic shots and segues. Every character who plays a role has a payoff, no matter how small, in the end. In both, everything comes together better than you'd expect of a movie like this. Plus, there are some legitimately funny moments and unexpected clever puns and other wordplay.

Honestly, after hearing Patrick H William rave about them for the last few years, I'm kinda kicking myself for not seeing them sooner. They're a great example of kids movies that are enjoyable for any age because they're also just really well-made films.

Red Sparrow
A spy thriller with Jennifer Lawrence as a ballerina, and Matthias Schoenaerts? Sure! That I've never heard anything about until now? Huh. What went so horribly wrong then?

Well, turns out, not that much. The ending you could see coming from about 5 nautical miles away, but that's pretty par for the course. The overall acting is quite good, with some other good actors like Jeremy Irons and Ciaran Hinds.
The only reasons I can think of why this movie isn't better known is either a) it was big but I completely missed it or b) this was adults-only in the USA and thus received no marketing whatsoever because there's nudity in it (one while flaccid penis, I think a total of 6 boobs, maybe 8? Oh, and for the @bhamv3s amongst us, Jennifer Lawrence's bare ass, though she probably had a body double.

All in all, enjoyable movie, and I'd recommend it for people who like this type of movie.

Red Sparrow
A spy thriller with Jennifer Lawrence as a ballerina, and Matthias Schoenaerts? Sure! That I've never heard anything about until now? Huh. What went so horribly wrong then?

Well, turns out, not that much. The ending you could see coming from about 5 nautical miles away, but that's pretty par for the course. The overall acting is quite good, with some other good actors like Jeremy Irons and Ciaran Hinds.
The only reasons I can think of why this movie isn't better known is either a) it was big but I completely missed it or b) this was adults-only in the USA and thus received no marketing whatsoever because there's nudity in it (one while flaccid penis, I think a total of 6 boobs, maybe 8? Oh, and for the @bhamv3s amongst us, Jennifer Lawrence's bare ass, though she probably had a body double.

All in all, enjoyable movie, and I'd recommend it for people who like this type of movie.
It's mostly because people scoffed it off as a Black Widow rip off I think.

I will also add that both the violence and the sexual scenes are fairly graphic (as in, attempted rape) - since they were going t obe 18+ anyway they didn't hold back. So people who don't like that, probably not the right movie for them.

Red Sparrow
Oh, and for the @bhamv3s amongst us, Jennifer Lawrence's bare ass, though she probably had a body double
I liked it just fine. It's not high art, but it was fun to watch. It made $151 million on a budget of $71 million, so it was profitable for the studio, even though most critics seem to dislike it.

While admitting that a body double was used for the dance scenes, interviews like this one and this one state that she did the nude ones herself.

Last edited:
DragonQuest: Your Story

A nice adaptation of DragonQuest V.
Nice visuals and animation. The CG looks really great. A lot of the story from the game is not in the movie but that is expected. You can't put everything from a huge rpg in a nearly 2 hour movie.
The ending has a big wtf twist I didn't really expected to see. But thinking about it, because of the twist, it makes sense that the movie change the story and adapted out characters.
I really wish to watch the movie again with people who played the game and see their reaction.

Jumanji: The Next Level

The first one was a pleasant surprise, but this one really failed to live up to its predecessor. It had its moments, but as a whole it just didn't deliver.

The Sonic Movie was a fun little romp, ain't the best movie I've seen, but EASILY the best vidya game movie I've seen...crap I was gonna add "In a while", but NO this is easily the best video game movie I have seen.

Parasite: Good. Really good.

Jojo Rabbit: Amazing, although ScarJo's accent made it a little difficult at times. I have this thing where I'm not a fan of the "We know we're in country X because we all speak English, but with an X accent" thing in movies. It just feels silly to me. Nonetheless, I guarantee I'll watch this again, if only for Taika's Hitler.

The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension

This is one of many movies I know I saw big parts of when I was young, but I never watched it from start-to-finish. Some thoughts:

1) Wow. There is no doubt why this is a cult classic. There had to have been COPIOUS amounts of drugs when they wrote this. I read the screenwriter would stop writing the script halfway, toss it in a drawer and start over. Yep, that checks. That opening crawl looks like it was created by an internet bot, set on "80s mode".

2) Peter Weller winning the David Carradine Award. Not even remotely looking part Asian, or specifically Japanese. Which feels like they ditched it anyway, because aside from the random "sword ceremony" on the bus, and his headband, he doesn't even use any "martial arts" the crawl said he supposedly studied. I think they were just trying to come up with loose ways to justify his last name being "Banzai". I mean, this is a man who goes immediately from performing brain surgery to testing a "dimension-hopping" jetcar for the government and leaves in time to play a bar gig with his scientist rock band, who are so famous they have an on-going comic based on them because SURE, WHY NOT??? (/brain melted)

3) They never explained why Jeff Goldblum is dressed like a cowboy! That's bugged me for over 30 years. And that Lawrence Fishburne clearly raided his closet for Pee-Wee's Playhouse.

4) Much like Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle, nothing in this movie looks remotely like New Jersey. In fact, it make HaKGtWC look shot-on-location by comparison. LA looks nothing like Jersey, guys.

All that being said, I enjoyed it for it's 80's scifi "WTF"-ness, and seeing so many famous faces so young. It didn't really drag, but it didn't make a lot of sense, either. It is a Saturday afternoon B-movie that I feel would pair well with either Flash Gordon or Howard the Duck.

Just got done watching Anchorman. That was... terrible. I might have chuckled three times.

Between the moment
Baxter got punted in the river
and the moment
he came back
I didn't even crack a smile.

I guess that one wasn't for me.

Dave

Staff member
"Guns Akimbo" - Daniel Radcliff again puts in a pretty amazing performance. This movie is fucking nuts. Think "well polished Deathrace 2000". Ultra-violent, very funny at times. Basically a shut your brain off and enjoy movie. Over the top characters, predictable plot, lots of blood. Much fun was to be had.

Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle. Dwayne Johnson has always been able to switch between humour & action on the fly and the film takes full advantage of this. Jack Black as a teenage girl is somehow the greatest casting decision in movie history.

The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension

This is one of many movies I know I saw big parts of when I was young, but I never watched it from start-to-finish. Some thoughts:

1) Wow. There is no doubt why this is a cult classic. There had to have been COPIOUS amounts of drugs when they wrote this. I read the screenwriter would stop writing the script halfway, toss it in a drawer and start over. Yep, that checks. That opening crawl looks like it was created by an internet bot, set on "80s mode".

2) Peter Weller winning the David Carradine Award. Not even remotely looking part Asian, or specifically Japanese. Which feels like they ditched it anyway, because aside from the random "sword ceremony" on the bus, and his headband, he doesn't even use any "martial arts" the crawl said he supposedly studied. I think they were just trying to come up with loose ways to justify his last name being "Banzai". I mean, this is a man who goes immediately from performing brain surgery to testing a "dimension-hopping" jetcar for the government and leaves in time to play a bar gig with his scientist rock band, who are so famous they have an on-going comic based on them because SURE, WHY NOT??? (/brain melted)

3) They never explained why Jeff Goldblum is dressed like a cowboy! That's bugged me for over 30 years. And that Lawrence Fishburne clearly raided his closet for Pee-Wee's Playhouse.

4) Much like Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle, nothing in this movie looks remotely like New Jersey. In fact, it make HaKGtWC look shot-on-location by comparison. LA looks nothing like Jersey, guys.

All that being said, I enjoyed it for it's 80's scifi "WTF"-ness, and seeing so many famous faces so young. It didn't really drag, but it didn't make a lot of sense, either. It is a Saturday afternoon B-movie that I feel would pair well with either Flash Gordon or Howard the Duck.
You didn't even mention the greatest end credits sequence of all time.