[Movies] Talk about the last movie you saw 2: Electric Threadaloo

Dave

Staff member
Godzilla: King of the Monsters. Uh...yeah. So that was a thing. A jumbled mess of a thing.

I think my favorite part was:
we find Atlantis. And then nuke it to non-existence.

Dumb movie. If you can shut your brain off it's okay, but you gotta shut off the brain.

Godzilla: King of the Monsters. Uh...yeah. So that was a thing. A jumbled mess of a thing.

I think my favorite part was:
we find Atlantis. And then nuke it to non-existence.

Dumb movie. If you can shut your brain off it's okay, but you gotta shut off the brain.
I don't want to use my brain while watching a kaiju movie. I want spectacle! Giant monsters beating the crap out of each other! Possibly using random wrestling moves!

KOTM may not have had the wrestling, but it had everything else I wanted.

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood was really good and I wasn't bored for a moment during the 2 hour and 40 minute runtime.

I'm glad I didn't know anything about the story going in.

Nobody can turn a movie 180 degrees from weird dramedy into obscene violence better than QT.

The name of the movie is superbly fitting as it's exactly a fairy tale of late 60's Hollywood.

My only real negative is the weird sorta shitty portrayal of Bruce Lee. Every other real person portrayed is played straight, but Bruce Lee isn't. At all.

Last edited:
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood was really good and I wasn't bored for a moment during the 2 hour and 40 minute runtime.

I'm glad I didn't know anything about the story going in.

Nobody can turn a movie 180 degrees from weird dramedy into obscene violence better than QT.

The name of the movie is superbly fitting as it's exactly a fairy tale of late 60's Hollywood.

My only real negative is the weird sorta shitty portrayal of Bruce Lee. Every other real person portrayed is played straight, but Bruce Lee isn't. At all.
Yeah I'm with the majority of the people who like the film in theorizing that the Bruce Lee scene HAD to be Cliff embellishing to himself because COME ON-its fucking BRUCE, ya REALLY gonna make him the Worf of the Tarentino-verse?

I don't think I've ever enjoyed My Neighbor Totoro as much as I did yesterday. I remember being so bored before, but it was an absolute delight this time.

I finally watched Captain Marvel last night, and in the oddest complaint I can imagine, I was disappointed that it was as good as it was, only because it really highlights how hard toxic douchebags came down on it because they didn't like a woman lead. It had problems for sure, but it was as good as most Marvel movies, and had been stated here by others before me, even a bad Marvel movie is still a pretty good movie.

Meet the Robinsons suffered from it being at the tale end of Disney's in-house slump. I like everything but the middle of the movie where it's basically just "Hey, lets meet the family and never do anything with them again" but the beginning and end are both great. I feel like Bolt is where they finally got the formula "right" again, but Meet the Robinsons is at least worth a look.

Meet the Robinsons suffered from it being at the tale end of Disney's in-house slump. I like everything but the middle of the movie where it's basically just "Hey, lets meet the family and never do anything with them again" but the beginning and end are both great. I feel like Bolt is where they finally got the formula "right" again, but Meet the Robinsons is at least worth a look.

But for real, that's the weakest part while still having some gold segments.

The door-bell twins made the family act Oscar-worthy alone in my book, even though it TORTURES me that we only heard ONE of the damn door bells! And the sequel is cancelled, so we'll NEVER know!

Meet the Robinsons makes me cry like crazy at the end. I didn't expect it to, because I watched the movie and it was good. Funny, nice, not great, but good, and BAM! Onion cutting ninjas sneak in. I still tear up when I get to it.

Once upon a time in Hollywood

One of the better Tarantino movies. I really like it even though the driving parts felt a bit too long and Tarantino's foot fetish got a bit annoying for my taste.

The ending, holy shit. So cartoonishly violent. People were laughing in the cinema when it started. I don't know if that was Tarantino's attempt. There is one bit that felt like something straight out of Sam Raimi's "Evil Dead".

Unicorn Store: So I guess I'm just going to cry at the end of everything now, huh?

This was neat. It had a similar vibe to Safety Not Guaranteed, but from the POV of the off-kilter person instead of the person helping.

I had to look the dad on IMDB, and he was also the dad from Get Out. Fortunately they're very different characters. :awesome:

Go watch the West Wing! Bradley Whitford is a gem in that series!

Actually, every single character is a gem in the West Wing. Yes, even Mandy, who disappeared without any explanation whatsoever after one season. She was a gem during that one single season.

From Dusk Till Dawn

Would you believe I've never seen this before? And that I never had the surprise spoiled for me before?

Anyway, I was reading a discussion about twists in movies, and this title came up, so I decided to give it a try. The first half was excellent. Vintage Tarantino. The violence, the tension, the conflict, the dialogue, everything worked great. I figured the primary driver of the story would be Richie's deteriorating mental state and how Seth will need to deal with it.

And then the twist happened. And everything went batshit insane. To be honest, I didn't like the second half nearly as much as the first half. It has its moments, but it feels so different, and loses much of made the first half memorable, so I didn't really enjoy it.

First half, 10/10. Second half, 5/10. That works out to 7.5/10 overall, which isn't bad.

From Dusk Till Dawn

Would you believe I've never seen this before? And that I never had the surprise spoiled for me before?

Anyway, I was reading a discussion about twists in movies, and this title came up, so I decided to give it a try. The first half was excellent. Vintage Tarantino. The violence, the tension, the conflict, the dialogue, everything worked great. I figured the primary driver of the story would be Richie's deteriorating mental state and how Seth will need to deal with it.

And then the twist happened. And everything went batshit insane. To be honest, I didn't like the second half nearly as much as the first half. It has its moments, but it feels so different, and loses much of made the first half memorable, so I didn't really enjoy it.

First half, 10/10. Second half, 5/10. That works out to 7.5/10 overall, which isn't bad.
But at least Selma Hayek is hot?

From Dusk Till Dawn

I still haven't seen more than the first 10min or so, though yes plenty of the rest has been spoiled (mostly via memes) and by a former coworker who insisted we give him the nickname "Sex Machine" because of that movie.

I'm so glad he's gone.

--Patrick

From Dusk Till Dawn

I'm just amazed we're at the point where someone can see this and not know the twist. I've always wondered how that would go and now I know.

figmentPez

Staff member
I'm just amazed we're at the point where someone can see this and not know the twist. I've always wondered how that would go and now I know.
I also found this interesting, because I've never watched the movie all the way through, but I've ended up seeing bits and pieces while flipping through channels. I knew what the twist was long before I even knew the movie had a twist.

I also found this interesting, because I've never watched the movie all the way through, but I've ended up seeing bits and pieces while flipping through channels. I knew what the twist was long before I even knew the movie had a twist.
I wonder if this is one of those 'twists' like the one in Terminator 2 in which the movie is set up so that there could be a big reveal, but when it came time to advertise the movie, the production company decided telling everyone the twist beforehand would sell more tickets.

I saw the movie long ago and forget the twist.

I think, for me, the main problem was that I wanted to watch a Tarantino movie. When the twist happened and it became something other than a Tarantino movie, I started losing interest. Someone who's into the kind of movie the second half was would probably have a different opinion from mine.

I think, for me, the main problem was that I wanted to watch a Tarantino movie. When the twist happened and it became something other than a Tarantino movie, I started losing interest. Someone who's into the kind of movie the second half was would probably have a different opinion from mine.
But it could be that it's jarring. I don't know.

We need more test subjects!

I saw the movie long ago and forget the twist.
Vampires. It doesn't seem like a twist since it's only halfway through the movie and it was advertised as vampires, but there's no hint of supernatural through most of the movie and then suddenly--vampires! I'm sure there have been people looking for a vampire movie who have complained that there's too much build before they show up though.

I think part of that is it's not a Tarantino movie, per se. I remember it being advertised as "from Quentin Tarantino and Robert Rodriguez", and imdb confirmed Rodriguez directed and Tarantino wrote with Alex Kurtzman. So there's your supernatural elements right there. It's kinda like how they collaborated on Grindhouse later on: Rodriguez was the supernatural (zombies) and Tarantino was the thriller (car chase).

But it could be that it's jarring. I don't know.

We need more test subjects!

Vampires. It doesn't seem like a twist since it's only halfway through the movie and it was advertised as vampires, but there's no hint of supernatural through most of the movie and then suddenly--vampires! I'm sure there have been people looking for a vampire movie who have complained that there's too much build before they show up though.
Thanks @Hailey Knight . I guess I went into it with it advertised that way, so it wasn't a twist to me.