[Movies] Talk about the last movie you saw 2: Electric Threadaloo

Alien is an amazing bit of horror/ science fiction. You're 100% right it holds up, and stillmakes a lot of what comes out these days look bland in comparison.

In that same regard, it also boasts the single greatest movie trailer of all time.

Alien is an amazing bit of horror/ science fiction. You're 100% right it holds up, and stillmakes a lot of what comes out these days look bland in comparison.

In that same regard, it also boasts the single greatest movie trailer of all time.
I didn't think I'd seen it before, so I decided to go watch it.

Holy shit, I think the trailer might be scarier than the movie.

Speaking of which, that's why I'm going through the Alien movies again. In the middle of watching Aliens right now. Man, another movie that holds up ridiculously well. This is the way sequels should be made: not resting on the laurels of the previous one, but using it as a jumping point to expand on the universe and creating new ideas.

Alien is probably second only to Chinatown in my top movies list.

Sad story, we saw Haywire last night (fantastic movie, run, don't walk, etc, etc) and they showed the Prometheus trailer and there was some wise-cracking 40 year old lady with her husband in the row in front of us who was saying things like "well this looks dumb, like a cross of Terminator and Aliens" and "why don't' they make good movies anymore" and "thats a movie made for idiots".

I did not have enough face palms to give her. I literally ran out of them.

The SMurfs Movie:

*checks on the kid, he looks bored out of his little skull, confused and angry*

"I know the feeling."

And I turned it off. 20 minutes in which was 10 minutes too long. I finished after because I needed to see how bad it could get...but this the first time I turned something off in a very long time due to it being intolerable.

Real Steel

Holy crap, did I love this movie. It's like Rocky meets The Iron Giant (the latter of which is one of my favourite movies). Admittedly, it's very formulaic; if you've seen any boxing movie, you pretty much know the formula. It borrows heavily from Rocky, for example. But it still manages to be a great story with some fantastic special effects and some pretty good acting. I have to agree with MovieBob: the kid could have been (as most times) the most annoying part of the movie, but in fact, he winds up being the best part of it.

So yeah, two big, nerdy thumbs up. Highly recommended.

Could not enjoy Real Steel. They lived in trailer parks/current technology era but hey, we have complete powered robotics that even the nearest mental case can use. I'm a big suspend belief person, but I could not let that go.

It was supposed to only be the year 2020(ish), so it's supposed to be the near-future. So, iPhones and the sort are a bit more advanced, but everything else is still the same.

Totally.... oh and the voice controlled robotics with battery power that would make an iPhone last 30yrs. Yet none of that technology is outside the robots. Hell the guy fakes a "bad signal" when talking to person. Yet a "shadow boxing" robot is considered "old gen 1 stuff".

I couldn't do it Nick, I really like Hugh and the thought of fighting bots but seeing the world still in 2002 technology with those 2080 robots? *sigh*

I'm watching the Expendables right now and I gotta be honest, I figured I would enjoy this movie. It's actually rather dull.

And why is Jason Stathem wanting to fight this dude so bad? Because his hook up chick got a new dude while he was gone for a month? And the new dude is part of some gang made up up white guys playing b-ball? WTH?

I'm watching the Expendables right now and I gotta be honest, I figured I would enjoy this movie. It's actually rather dull.

And why is Jason Stathem wanting to fight this dude so bad? Because his hook up chick got a new dude while he was gone for a month? And the new dude is part of some gang made up up white guys playing b-ball? WTH?
Written by Sylvester Stallone.

Trying to figure out the plot of Expendables is like trying to find out why Guido's tan themselves to colors of orange not thought possible.

Aka: Just watch the awesome fights and big explosions.

Written by Sylvester Stallone.

You mean Oscar-nominated for best writing/screenplay Sylvester Stallone? :p

I'm just saying, the guy can write. That Stathem stuff in this flick has me scratching my head though.

I dunno, the movie is alright, I just hoped it would be... more exciting.
Added at: 10:22
I should say, I really, REALLY, enjoy watching Jet Li fight. Damn.

You're not alone, Espster. I saw The Expendables in theatres and honestly was so bored that I actually dozed off a couple of times.

Of course, I watched it immediately following Scott Pilgrim, so my expectations had already been blown away by another movie.

The exact opposite of boring is pretty much how most people who enjoyed it described it.

Now I'm not saying that an action movie HAS to be a dumb plot with big explosions and amazing fight scenes, but when you have that much awesome Action Star Celeb Muscle, it's excuseable.

I saw Expendables drunk in theatres with 12 likeminded friends. Under those circumstances, it was incredible. I don't think it'd be good at all otherwise.

I think that's the exact problem I had with it, Sheg. It had all these big names but they really didn't do anything of particular note. I was expecting each of them to have some kind of iconic moment or one-liner. And speaking of one-liners, there were very few of them.

The exact opposite of boring is pretty much how most people who enjoyed it described it.
Well yeah, the people who enjoyed it probably didn't find it boring.

But from what I've gathered, The Expendables is nowhere near as good a movie as the one a person might envision in their heads when they see that cast list.

I think the biggest part of me liking The Expendables was going to the panel at SDCC. It was awesome to see them talk about what they had done and all of the random things you don't find out otherwise. That panel was the deciding factor for me wanting to see it. Also, Dolph is scary huge in real life.

Unbreakable

I can't remember the last time I sat down and watched this but...wow. This movie really holds up. I forgot how amazing it was.

Honestly though, I wish I worked as a screenwriter in Hollywood. I've got so many ideas for at least one sequel.

Unbreakable

I can't remember the last time I sat down and watched this but...wow. This movie really holds up. I forgot how amazing it was.

Honestly though, I wish I worked as a screenwriter in Hollywood. I've got so many ideas for at least one sequel.
So did Shamalyan. This was supposed to be part 1 of a trilogy, but for some reason the director decided to go make some shit instead.

Saw Moneyball, it was really good. Not surprised it got nominated. Except for Jonah Hill's. I'm not hating on him because he was in a bunch of shitty movies or anything, but after watching him in the movie, I just don't get the nomination. He wasn't bad or anything but.

Also watched A Better Life, mainly because of the surprise Best Actor nomination for Demian Bichir. I was mostly underwhelmed by his performance and everything in the movie. Bleh.

I just watched Citizen Kane in my film class for the first time.

I'm jumping on the decades old bandwagon. That movie is sheer genius. I had always heard that it was great for the technical aspects and it's place in history, but not a very good story/acting. I found the story itself to be compelling and moving, with absolutely brilliant performances by most of the people involved.

It's definitely going on my top ten list.

Just saw The Woman In Black. Started out a little slow and there were some cheap scares (loud noises, creepy faces) but it was alright. Dan Radcliffe did a pretty good job, and it was a little weird seeing him all grown up and with a child.
I really don't like creepy children, so there was that creepy factor! They also found the creepiest toys ever to put in the movie... Anyway, there was a girl in the theater who screamed twice so that was extra fun! :3

Finally saw Girl with the Dragon Tatoo. Really enjoyed it, well, except for "those" parts but overall, it really held me in it's grip. I don't know because I haven't really looked up on it but I hope Fincher is on for the two sequels because I want more like super now. I may even read the book. The actress, who's name escapes me...Rooney Mara (after googling) completely deserves accolade she's getting for her performance.

Also, I think Reznor and Ross deserved some recognition for the score, it was absolutely perfect.

Oh and one more thing, that fucking intro was suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuper cool. I miss that kind of thing in movies. Keep bringing it GwtDD and Tintin.

Oh yeah, I saw Tintin the other day too! Animation was amazingly gorgeous, story was good, and just the right amount of comedy! Loved it!!

North_Ranger

Staff member
Conan the Barbarian - the version with khal Drog... I mean, Jason Momoa. Not the one with Ahnuld.

Admittedly, me and my friends watched this with low expectations. But I at least was positively surprised. Sure, there were some completely stupid moments - like the Picts roaring like a lion being rodgered - but overall, the film had a pretty decent, Conan-like feel to it. You had swords and sorcery, barbarians versus depraved civilizations, and everlooming, cyclopean ruins. And yes, you had Ron Perlman as Conan's dad and a totally badass character to boot.

However, the final battle... meh as hell. So all the build-up lead to the main villain getting a face-hugger mask that looked like someone had slapped a tentacled sphincter on his forehead. And yes, we used the term "tentacled sphincter" (or rather, lonkeroperse as it is called in Finnish) when discussing the film. We had expected something a little more... epic to come from the joining of an evil warlord and an ancient evil tentacle bone sphincter mask.

The Bible Told Me So - Yet another one in a long line of amazing religious documentaries that completely shuts down religious idiocy with simple explanations. I got so much more material to use to shut religious zealots up, it's baffling. How anyone in this day and age can look people in the eye with a straight face and claim to know their "Holy Bible" and what "God decrees" and yet know absolutely nothing about the actual material is just unsettling.