[Movies] Talk about the last movie you saw 2: Electric Threadaloo

Toy Story 3: I enjoyed this whole-heartedly. I was so ready to dive back into these characters and see the rest of their story. I loved it. Lots of good humor, good moments between characters (especially toy and non-toy), and the opening enactment of one of Andy's playtimes was inspired. I was stunned by how quickly he chose who was going in the attic and who was going to college considering the dilemma of the first movie.

The rescue from the furnace was utterly fucking brilliant. That whole sequence of the movie was harsh--they just couldn't get a moment to breathe and figure out what to do next.

I really loved the ending, when Andy is going over who each toy is and why they're specially, reluctantly gives up Woody, and then plays with them all one last time before leaving them with Bonnie. I feel like he's going to regret giving up Woody, reason being that in the second movie Andy's mom says Woody is a family toy, and we know from later events in that film that he's a rare collector's item. Andy's dad has never been present, and I have to wonder if Woody was passed down to Andy and one of the few things they have left from his father. If that's the case, he's really gonna wish he still had that cowboy doll if he has a kid someday.

But it was still a beautiful ending. I liked how they didn't go into this long spiel of how Bonnie needs them like Andy did, even though it was shown that she's a shy kid and better at inhabiting her imaginary world with her toys, and apparently a very vibrant imaginary world.

Just a damn good movie.

Next on Netflix queue, How to Train Your Dragon.

I watched The Human Centipede and Zombie Strippers last night. I'm not sure what was more painful, the titular sequence of the former or the acting in the latter.

Oh! Earlier in the day I watched my netflixed Enchanted Blu-Ray I had had in my possession since April. It was worth the wait! The movie was adorable and awesome and so so fun.

Beach Red on Netflix. God, but I can't stand late 60s cinema. Even though it's set during WW2 all the women have 60s eyeliner and hairdos, held together by ten pounds of hairspray. You can't create a 1940s atmosphere when all the chicks look like Dr. Girlfriend.

J

Jiarn

Die Hard 3:

I expected things to die Hardest. Instead, they died with a Vengeance.

Just got done watching The Last Airbender and words fail me. I knew it was going to be bad but I didn't quite realize just how bad it actually was going to be.

The Good, The Bad, The Weird.

Wow, I have some real mixed feelings about this one. One, it's just a blast to watch. The movie (especially the finale) is just balls to the wall awesome. Unfortunately, that where the bad comes in, the film is also exceptionally terrible to it's animal costars. I don't know for sure if any horses really got fucked up, but in some of the end chase scenes, they must have. There's one really disturbing shot of a horse running through explosions that is just too real looking to be faked. Koreans apparently don't give two shits about having the No Animals Were Harmed tag during the credits.

If you can stomach that though, you are in for one of the most fun psuedo-westerns that take place in China during WW2 you will ever see.

J

Jiarn

Karate Kid 1 and 2.

Talk about a pair of movies you didn't think would stand the test of time. They're still touching, relevent, well acted, well told and enjoyable. Part 3 tonight.

How to Train Your Dragon: That was excellent. I wish we'd seen it in theaters. And the war angle fixes the general plotless nature of boy and his creature movies.

How to Train Your Dragon: That was excellent. I wish we'd seen it in theaters. And the war angle fixes the general plotless nature of boy and his creature movies.
I saw it in theatre the night that I broke up with my girlfriend. It made me forget anything else happened that day.

I saw it again two days later. :)

Against better judgment, I watched Avatar: The Last Airbender. M Night really has no ability to direct actors anymore. And that script. "We're going to show them that we believe in our beliefs just as much as they believe in theirs." My god.

J

Jiarn

Karate Kid 3. Ended exactly where it should have. A good closing to the series, if a bit weak.

So glad they didn't make anymore.... oh wait.....

Best part of Daybreakers? Willem Dafoe screeching as he takes a header. That had me cracking up in the theater for like a full minute.

Against better judgment, I watched Avatar: The Last Airbender. M Night really has no ability to direct actors anymore. And that script. "We're going to show them that we believe in our beliefs just as much as they believe in theirs." My god.
The Last Airbender, please. Reserve Avatar for the cartoon it's based on, or the James Cameron movie.

This M. Night Shitfest will arrive in Netflix tomorrow, and I'll download the Rifftrax on Friday so it can be enjoyable.

Caught a double feature of Harry Potter and Faster last night.

Harry Potter was Harry Potter and Faster was dumb and silly but really fun. I like the Rock.

Watched the Last Avatar (the movie)

I watched the entire series the last few months and loved the show. When I sat down to watch the movie I already knew it bombed and people claimed it sucks however, I went in going, it'll have a few good scenes right?

Yep, it did. And the effects were cool though I'll I'll bring out a few things.

- The movie is 90 minutes long to cover the entire BOOK 1. This is an outrageous low amount of time. Sure, they don't to include EVERYTHING but a bit of character background would have been nice. I read on IMDB that they cut down from over 2 hours to 88 minutes because they wanted to save money as they converted the movie to 3D. A failed plan on their part IMO as they could have sorely used that extra half an hour to build up some characters. They even fucked up the best part of Book 1 where Aang and Zuko had a special moment, "do you believe we could be friends?" to a quick and misplaced one liner to save those 30 seconds of screen-time. I felt everything was on a budget.

- Awwwng, SUCKAH, AVATOR... the mispronunciations was driving me bad. On IMDB, it mentioned it was voluntary as Shams wanted to respect the Asian who gives a fuck. HEY! SHAMALION! ITS AAAAAAAAANNGGGHHH not AWWWWWWWWNNNGGGG. Leave the fucken names alone!

- Dev Patel was a horrible casting decision for Zuko. Heck, from the things I read, he didn't even enjoy doing the role. He's too tall, clumsy and looks brittle. Would have been nice if they would have gone through with Bosko who was interested and available. Dev did not have Zuko down pat at all.

- I wasn't huge on the Katara choice. Should have been slightly older, talented (for the essential part) and have darker hair. That Tue actress was far better.

- Fight scene were fun to watch. They can do a lot of things with this type of movie.

- Overall felt like they were giving me a summary of Book 1. "We were here" "They became friends" "We went there" and conversation was kept brief and short all throughout the movie as if the Fire Nation were up their ass.

Overall, an OK movie but it's a shame it turned out like this.

No news of a sequel yet eh? Ouch.

sat down over the weekend with my wife and introduced her to the original star wars films.

Afterwards she asked me if there were more. I replied, "no."

Edit:
"But there is a series of books I think would make excellent sequels. Oh look I have a copy right here."
Well played Mr Thehun.

J

Jiarn

Been busy, but here we go:

Subspecies 1-2 - A sub-par Vampire film that I remember watching when I was much younger. For some reason I said "Oh wow, I remember these movies, they were awesome!" when I saw them come up on Instant Watch. Yeah apparantly the "tit shots" were what I thought were amazing back then because both these movies were god aweful. Well at least RADU was no EDWARD.

Watched 12 Stand-Up specials - The ones that really stuck out "Margaret Cho: Assassin, Amazing Jonathan: Wrong On Every Level, Patton Oswalt: No Reason to Complain, and Al Madrigal." The biggest let down? Demitri Martin: Person. I loved his original debut stand-up but his second was pretty lackluster.

Howling 3: The Marsupials - I'm a fan of bad movies. They get double points if it's a horror movie (I'm looking at you, Fabulous Uwe Boll) but this was both bad and horror yet managed to just plain suck. Being a fan of the first Howling I was hoping for a campy, bad, sequel. What I got.... there just aren't words. Were-Kanga-Wolves....

Lord of Illusions - Really decent potential for a great story.... ruined by horrible HORRIBLE casting. Also, the beginning of the film leads you to think that many people in the world have magical powers when it really is just one and a half. What a dissapointment.

Police Academy 1-7 - Really binged out on these 80s comedies. They went downhill and fast. The first 4 were saved by the ever charming Steve Guttenberg. 5 and 6 still had enough cast to be "watchable". 7 was a trainwreck and the nail in the coffin of that series for a reason. They really embodied that classless, baseless humor that great 80s comedies really did well. Great slapstick, great "characters", chuckles to be had.

-Got about 7 more films to review, will be back-

North_Ranger

Staff member
To Be, or Not to Be - A surprisingly funny WWII-era black-and-white comedy about a Polish acting troupe that gets involved in the fight between the German occupiers and the Warsaw underground. Certainly no Schindler's List, though a character called Greenberg delivers the "If you prick us, do we not bleed?" speech from the Merchant of Venice when captured by the Nazis. And while the subject matter is quite heavy, the comedy lightens up the movie quite well, making even Hitler's appearance (or, at least a Polish actor pretending to be Hitler to hoodwink the Gestapo) seem like something that could be twisted into a joke. The characters were enjoyable, particularly the proud actor Josef Tura who constantly kept craving for recognition - even while impersonating a Nazi collaborator.

Josef Tura (impersonating the collaborator): Oh, have you heard of the famous, famous Polish actor Josef Tura?
Gestapo commander: Oh, I have. I saw him in a play before the war.
Josef Tura: You did? What did you think.
Gestapo commander: What he did to Shakespeare, we're now doing to Poland.

To Be, or Not to Be - A surprisingly funny WWII-era black-and-white comedy about a Polish acting troupe that gets involved in the fight between the German occupiers and the Warsaw underground. Certainly no Schindler's List, though a character called Greenberg delivers the "If you prick us, do we not bleed?" speech from the Merchant of Venice when captured by the Nazis. And while the subject matter is quite heavy, the comedy lightens up the movie quite well, making even Hitler's appearance (or, at least a Polish actor pretending to be Hitler to hoodwink the Gestapo) seem like something that could be twisted into a joke. The characters were enjoyable, particularly the proud actor Josef Tura who constantly kept craving for recognition - even while impersonating a Nazi collaborator.

Josef Tura (impersonating the collaborator): Oh, have you heard of the famous, famous Polish actor Josef Tura?
Gestapo commander: Oh, I have. I saw him in a play before the war.
Josef Tura: You did? What did you think.
Gestapo commander: What he did to Shakespeare, we're now doing to Poland.
Mel Brooks did a remake in the 80's, wonder how it compares.

J

Jiarn

Continued:

Rampage - Being the Uwe Boll fan that I am, I was quite glad to see another one of his film available for Instant Que. I sat down, expecting another well shot, horribly directed, horribly written movie, which is exactly what I wanted.... however I was surprised. Much like his other surprise film (Postal) this movie was actually well done all around. The reviews from the other watchers made me wonder if everyone had gone insane but no, it was actually really good. A recommendation for sure.

From Within - The After Dark films can be pretty hit or miss when it comes to good horror. This one, was a definite hit. A great original plot, with great acting, surprises that you don't see coming and a phenomenal ending. I really don't want to say much about this film because I'd rather someone enjoy it with little to no knowledge of it like I did. Want a good horror? Watch it.

Zombies of Mass Destruction - Zombie movie, decent reviews on Netflix, interesting concept.... I'm game! Another surprise film that I expected to be bad (while it was campy) turned out surprsingly hilarious and good gorey fun. When the gay guy came out to his mother, who had recently turned zombie by shouting"I SUCK D*** MOM!" had me rolling.

City of the Living Dead - On a great zombie high from the previous film, I was hoping for at least a decent little film. It didn't have that glowing of reviews but again, I like bad film so I gave it a shot. UGH! Bad filming, bad camera work, bad acting and a horrible script. I stomached 45minutes of it, no idea how, and had to shut it off. Absolutely pass.

Probably won't be watching too much film in the near future, I recently aquired Seasons 1-3 of Venture Bros. and am watching them all for the first time.

North_Ranger

Staff member
Lapland Odyssey/Very Cold Trip, originally Napapiirin sankarit ('Heroes of the Arctic Circle') in Finnish - A comedy/road movie about Janne, a down-on-his-luck young man who lives in the most depressing part of Finland; Lapland. It's cold, it's dark, unemployment is high and suicide or drinking yourself to oblivion are viable options of existence while in the skiing centres people from the south and foreign countries enjoy the Lappish 'mystique'. Janne's girlfriend, tired of his laziness, gives him an ultimatum: get the digital recorder (a kind of TiVo) he 'was supposed to get' for the past three years, or she'll move out of the house. Janne and two of his friends pile into a car to drive to the nearest big city to get the recorder, but things go awry along the way, including an encounter with a hot cougar, a car crash, a blizzard, a naked Russian man with a paintball gun, and the girlfriend's ex who tried to ger her back. A wonderful and damn funny movie that really captures a sense of desperation and desolation that most Finns can relate to this time of the year, when it's dark outside from 3.30pm to 11am.

Cajungal

Staff member
Wow, I wasn't expecting much from Tangled, but it was really cute and funny. Jake wanted to see it for his birthday, so I went, expecting to grin and bear it. I had a great time!

P

Philosopher B.

Tron: Legacy

Re-watched the original last night, saw the new one today (in 3D). Overall, I had a fun time. I saw a review (on io9 or something) which said the movie ripped off the Matrix, which was funny, because when I re-watched the original movie I thought 'Damn, Flynn is basically Neo.' I thought any Matrix-like aspects were pretty much in keeping with the spirit of the original.

Obviously the two biggest immediate pluses were the visuals and the score by Daft Punk. One thing that kinda makes me scratch my head, though, is that they spent a cool 200 mill on this baby. Obviously, if it's Tron, you want good effects (what with the original being an experimental milestone in that area), but I honestly wonder how much potential there is for recouping/profiting on top of that? I mean, I always saw the original Tron as a bit of a cult classic.

Olivia Wilde was awesome. She brought a fantastic quirky innocence to her role. Bridges was fun to watch, even if he felt a bit less Flynn and a bit more Dude. The main guy wasn't amazing but I didn't think he was terrible either.

The main problem was vagueness of areas of the plot, and half-thought through concepts. I think I will have to see the movie at least a second time to completely solidify my opinion of its merits overall.

I also thought some of the conversations/plot exposition got a bit long-winded. I'm curious as to what this film would be like to someone who never saw the first?

Also? I would totally sit through a movie solely based on Castor. He was just awesome for every moment he was onscreen.