[Movies] Talk about the last movie you saw 2: Electric Threadaloo

Dark Knight Returns is one of the most overrated comics of all time, and it really doesn't age well. The best thing about the book, and the part that does hold up is the way Frank Miller lays out and composes the story, and unfortunately that's the kind of thing that doesn't translate to another medium. The other part that made it so huge is translatable to other mediums, but it's also the grim-dark, angry, hateful Batman in a grim-dark, corrupt, and depressing world that's been seen many, many times since.

Dark Knight Returns is one of the most overrated comics of all time, and it really doesn't age well. The best thing about the book, and the part that does hold up is the way Frank Miller lays out and composes the story, and unfortunately that's the kind of thing that doesn't translate to another medium. The other part that made it so huge is translatable to other mediums, but it's also the grim-dark, angry, hateful Batman in a grim-dark, corrupt, and depressing world that's been seen many, many times since.
So it is bad because of everyone that copied it over the last 30 years?

More that when one of the biggest reasons DKR was a big deal is repeatedly been copied an imitated over nearly 30 years of comics, movies, and tv its movie adaption is not going to have the same punch.

Personally I don't think DKR's story is strong enough to hold up over the years, especially when you remove it from the comic medium (like I said Frank Miller does a lot of neat little things with layout, composition, and storytelling)

More that when one of the biggest reasons DKR was a big deal is repeatedly been copied an imitated over nearly 30 years of comics, movies, and tv its movie adaption is not going to have the same punch.

Personally I don't think DKR's story is strong enough to hold up over the years, especially when you remove it from the comic medium (like I said Frank Miller does a lot of neat little things with layout, composition, and storytelling)

I'd partly agree with that. It's kind of the opposite of Sin City, which tried to mimic Miller's art style, which wound up becoming something very unique, cinematically speaking. I think the story still holds up well, though you can start to see Miller's 'MURICA ideals popping up, like his views on communism and how he treats the all-American Superman.

I liked the animated adaptation, but I do agree it doesn't adapt ENTIRELY well to the original comic.

Yeah, I think DKR holds up quite well, it's still one of the Graphic Novels along with Watchmen and a few others that I go back to. The art is phenomenal, Miller was at his best and I think the story is still top notch. If it's been ruined for some because of the copying, well, stop reading all that shit then yo.

Thats fine, I know people who think Watchmen has terrible art and people who think Rob Leifield is UHmazing or that Mike Mignola is a really bad artiest. People have different tastes. It's all good.

Thats fine, I know people who think Watchmen has terrible art and people who think Rob Leifield is UHmazing or that Mike Mignola is a really bad artiest. People have different tastes. It's all good.
I know it wasn't your intent, but that could have been a serious burn :D

Well yeah, but hey, someone has to buy all the crap out there or else the entire crap industry would collapse, which would send that crap flooding into the streets of America. No one wants that.

Just watched Machete. I have absolutely no knowledge about this film, no idea if there even is any source material or not, or whatever, so don't shoot me, but it was...Okay, I guess - Kill Bill with less thought and about the same amount of action/blood. Fun, but don't think about it.

I re-watched Mystery Men the other day, and I am not ashamed to say that I loved the hell out of that movie.

It was a great lampoon of the super-hero movies of the time. I loved Geoffry Rush as Casanova Frankenstien.

I re-watched Mystery Men the other day, and I am not ashamed to say that I loved the hell out of that movie.

It was a great lampoon of the super-hero movies of the time. I loved Geoffry Rush as Casanova Frankenstien.
Almost everyone I know except for my brother dislikes this movie. I love it. One year, my brother went as the Waffler (one of the try-out heroes) for Halloween, and lost my sister's brand new expensive waffle iron. But the costume was fantastic.

Kinda weird how a movie based on Flaming Carrot comics doesn't actually feature the flaming carrot. Would a carrot mask be so hard to make?

We've been discussing whether or not an anthropomorphic raccoon will be too weird for audiences for Guardians of the Galaxy. That's despite Marvel's good name in film. What chance would a dude called The Flaming Carrot have, especially 15 years ago.

We've been discussing whether or not an anthropomorphic raccoon will be too weird for audiences for Guardians of the Galaxy. That's despite Marvel's good name in film. What chance would a dude called The Flaming Carrot have, especially 15 years ago.
Point. Are they really not putting him in that movie? Bad move on Disney, think of the plushie sales!

Almost everyone I know except for my brother dislikes this movie. I love it. One year, my brother went as the Waffler (one of the try-out heroes) for Halloween, and lost my sister's brand new expensive waffle iron. But the costume was fantastic.
It's Waffle Man :p Played by Dane Cook, of all people.

Imagine my surprise on seeing some pre-famous Doug Jones, Cee-Lo Green, and Dane Cook in that movie. I'd forgotten that any of them were in the movie because they were basically nobodies at the time.

It's Waffle Man :p Played by Dane Cook, of all people.

Imagine my surprise on seeing some pre-famous Doug Jones, Cee-Lo Green, and Dane Cook in that movie. I'd forgotten that any of them were in the movie because they were basically nobodies at the time.
Man, I'm definitely going to have to give it a re-watch. I had no idea any of those people were in it. Cool!

The Conjuring: That was pretty fucking good. It was nice to have a horror movie where my wife and I could discuss details of both scares and story.