Sucker Punch

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not putting any spoilers in *this* post, but you can bet that there will be spoilers in later posts. ;) I hate writing reviews because I'm pretty scatter-brained, but here are my thoughts!

The reviews for Sucker Punch are all over the place. Half the reviews I read rate it 1-2 stars, the other half 4-5 stars.
Watched it last night and I'd rate it 4/5 stars. I felt the story was pretty original and I thoroughly enjoyed it! It's basically a jailbreak story with pretty girls and a lot of action. The music in the movie plays a big part in how the story is told and it reminded me a lot of the movie Chicago, minus the singing and dancing. The girls have a job to do, and those jobs are played out in Babydoll's head!
The action scenes play out like they're straight out of a video game. Loooved it! The girls are all badasses and I'm happy I made Amber's costume. :) She's the pilot, so of course she gets the heavy machinery, woo-hoo!

If you're someone who cares a lot about acting, then you probably won't love the movie. The acting was nothing special, but that's not important to me. Also, there's a few corny lines, but again, I couldn't care less. I felt the story was told well and I wasn't bored while watching the movie. It was a heavier story than I was expecting, but as they said in the previews, "You will be unprepared."

Added at: 07:18
Lou Lumenick said:
"Sucker Punch" is what happens when a studio gives carte blanche to a filmmaker who has absolutely nothing original or even coherent to say.
Beth Accomando said:
It's so bad that the Director's Guild should revoke Snyder's membership and he should never be allowed to direct again.
Laremy Legel said:
My personal rule of film enjoyment goes a little like this: you can be miserable or pointless, but you can't be both. Sucker Punch works hard to be both.
Lisa Schwarzbaum said:
Wild, loud, fetishistically stylized, and...numbingly dull.
Julian Roman said:
Zach Snyder has attended the Michael Bay school of filmmaking and graduated the top of the class.

Nick Pinkerton said:
(The) mash-up set pieces blend into so-awesome-they're-awful slo-mo monotony, and the awful sisterhood stuff in between makes you anticipate the action as though waiting for the bus.
Leslie Stonebraker said:
Like his porcelain heroine, anyone who willingly spends $13 for a ticket to this smut is willfully lobotomizing themselves.
Roger Moore said:
An unerotic unthrilling erotic thriller in the video game mold, "Sucker Punch" is "Last Airbender" with bustiers.
This is just from Rotten Tomatoes, I've read some other hilarious scathing reviews.

figmentPez

Staff member
This is just from Rotten Tomatoes, I've read some other hilarious scathing reviews.
Not that I want to bash the movie, but I thought this tweet about it captured what the trailer made me think:

"Should I go see SUCKER PUNCH or jerk off to Sailor Moon while reading Mein Kampf and save $15?"
- Patton Oswalt

Yeah some of the reviews are pretty hilarious, I admit I liked reading some of them! I still loved it, though. I'm not picky when it comes to movies. I kind of hate when people nit pick everything and can't just enjoy something for what it is. It's mostly annoying when a new game comes out and everyone has to rant about how it isn't as good as X game or the one before it, etc etc...
Anyway, I doubt any on the actors will get nominated for anything, but that's not what makes a fun movie. It kept my attention, I will be watching again, and I will buy the rated R directors cut DVD. I also enjoyed 300 and Watchmen a lot and can't wait to see what Snyder does with Superman! :p

I can't stand shitty reviewers like that. But that type of review will get clicks on their website, but attack a person's career with out second thought. In the end they just end up hurting the medium that they are supposed to love.

So far my friends who have seen it have also really enjoyed it. Always interesting to see what "real people" think vs the critics.

Reading comments for that article.

Anyone who thinks this movie is female empowerment is a complete idiot and ignorant sexist. The Tim Burton Alice in Wonderland was more female empowerment than this, and that entirely failed to achieve what it set out (which I'm sure was lobbed in by Disney). This thinks it's doing one thing and goes entirely in the other direction.

Zack Snyder is turning into Frank Miller. I hope the Nolans keep him on a tight leash for Superman.

And stop with the fucking slow-mo!

It amazes me that this movie even fails in the fun department because of how unapologetically and irredeemably nasty it is. 300 was at least amusing in its wrongness and crappy parts.

Anyone who thinks this movie is female empowerment is a complete idiot and ignorant sexist. The Tim Burton Alice in Wonderland was more female empowerment than this, and that entirely failed to achieve what it set out (which I'm sure was lobbed in by Disney). This thinks it's doing one thing and goes entirely in the other direction.
Yeah I'm kind of confused about this. I keep reading how it's all about "female empowerment" yet everything else I read, sometimes in the same sentence is about how the movie is basically school-girl fetish jerk off material. So I'm left wondering, when did putting women in a movie that seems specially designed to sexually objectify them for the intended audience become empowering?

Keep in mind I'm only commenting based on what I have read, I haven't seen the movie and I'm not judging anyone here for having seen it and liked/disliked it.

M

makare

I admit I have neither seen this movie or read reviews. Actually I don't even care about the movie (that is all disclaimer). I just have a general question I guess. Is it impossible for a woman to be both empowered and sexy at the same time?

I admit I have neither seen this movie or read reviews. Actually I don't even care about the movie (that is all disclaimer). I just have a general question I guess. Is it impossible for a woman to be both empowered and sexy at the same time?
Of course not.

Here's a question more movie related though: Is it possible for a male director to maybe confuse sexual objectification with female empowerment?

Hard to say. Just sticking with the superhero genre, you've got Wonder Woman, Power Girl, and She Hulk, all of whom are considered in-universe to be very powerful and all of whom are also, in-universe, considered extremely attractive. So that would indicate some examples can be both.

In terms of empowered, I don't just mean physical strength (though they have that in spades as well) - all of them are top tier heroes that are taken seriously by their peers. She Hulk was an important part of the Avengers (or was she a member of the Fantastic Four as well?), Wonder Woman and Power Girl are more or less on par with Superman and Batman (seniority aside). So they have power and prestige in their community (that of superheroes).

M

makare

It seems to me that it is very unfair to gauge a woman's level of empowerment by how men react to her. There will always be men who sexually objectify the woman whether she is in skin tight leather, a business suit or a muu muu and hair curlers. That's just the nature of the world. If a woman has to stop and think "well I am feeling very strong about who I am today but I chose to wear a shorter skirt than usual and Bill in the cubicle across from me has been staring at me slack jawed and drooling for the last fifteen minutes. So I guess since he is objectifying me I must just be an object."

How the heck are women supposed to get a sense of self period if their self is only in relation to how people see them?

Also is powerful the same as empowered?

I think you're really missing the point, makare. When I'm not on the phone I'll try to explain, but I think you should consider if you're looking for an answer to your question or looking for something to argue about, because your last post suggests the latter.

M

makare

I know the answer to the question. I'm trying to find out if other people do. If that is trying to find something to argue about then yeah I guess so. Either that or I'll just roll my eyes about it and move on, as usual.

figmentPez

Staff member
Is it impossible for a woman to be both empowered and sexy at the same time?
No it's not impossible, it just isn't achieved by fetishizing one's-self. This movie seems to apply the logic that if the characters act poweful while they're dressed as sexualized versions of lusted-after female archetypes, that they somehow take control of that lust. Bullshit. All they've done is create a new sub-genre of the fetish.

Women don't have to dress like tramps in order to be sexy. Being attractive and desirable is not about advertising "I'm dressed to show off my sex appeal" (which is not to be confused with dressing to show off style or beauty). If the reason a woman is recognized as a sex symbol is because she is dressed as an exaggerated version of the stereotype, then she's not really established herself as sexy, she's just just another image of sexuality.

I know the answer to the question. I'm trying to find out if other people do. If that is trying to find something to argue about then yeah I guess so. Either that or I'll just roll my eyes about it and move on, as usual.
I don't think there's a point to that. To the people aware of it, it sounds like you're talking to them like idiots, so they won't take it seriously. To the people who don't, they see it as a way to get after you, so they won't take it seriously. It's lose-lose.

M

makare

heatherling, it's great you enjoyed the movie. I am positive I will enjoy it too. Until I see it and we can squee together it's probably best just let these guys go.

I have no problem with people not liking the movie, I just dislike when people are so critical about movies/games/shows/etc that they have not yet watched/played themselves.
I know someone who watched the other night and thought it was visually stunning but she could see it playing in a nightclub with the sound off. someone had said "Go watch Sucker Punch NOW!" and she replied with "Not worth your money because..." She's dabbled in film-making herself, so of course she's going to be a bit more critical about it, and that's fine. Everyone's entitled to their opinion so long as it's valid and not just based off of what others have said. I'm not going to tell people that Airbender and Dragonball were the worst movies ever when I haven't even watched them myself, even though everyone has said they were the worst movies ever.
The reviews I've read, both good and bad, have made good points, but as your everyday movie watcher, I thought it was a terrific film. I just think it's really silly to tear every little thing apart to the point that you can't just enjoy something. "ZOMG new [Insert series here] game! ...OMG not as good as the last! [Insert game here] did it better! [Company] hasn't made a good game since [insert year here]!" I'd rather just enjoy things as they come and not be so critical.

Ho hum. It's fine if you don't like the movie, but no point in "LOL-ing" at someone who thoroughly enjoyed it.
Added at: 20:20
Well, I just said it was a little like Inception. That was a dream within a dream within a dream... Sucker Punch is a fantasy within a fantasy. So... not like Inception at all? Hmm.

Don't worry about Boner, he's just like that. Don't take it too personally. He just tends to be quite open and honest with his scorn whenever he disagrees with someone.

Status
Not open for further replies.