[Question] Starting over job wise

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anonymous

Anonymous

I'm in the process of losing my job due to my state's high unemployment rate.

Other than driving my car off a bridge or high cliff (a thought that crosses my mind at least twice a day) do either of you (Dave or Jay) know where the best, low unemployment rate, places to find work would be? I can do some computer work but I can't do fast food or that type due to a disability. I'm considering lots of places nationwide.

Help me Obi.. Obi Two.. you're one of my sources of hope!

Call centers. Either tech support ones or check insurance companies. It's all at a computer station and can start at as high as 12 an hour. Even telemarketing will help a little, even though it's miserable.

I mean if you're dead set on just moving to where the jobs are I'm sure you can look that info up easily enough. Houston is kind of a "booming" city with a lot of jobs.

A

Anonymous

Anonymous

Houston hm.. Any other cities? I'd be interested to know what about the other cities that stand out culturally too.

Love to help but I'm Canadian, really wouldn't know much about the Americana job situation.

You do however have my deepest of sympathies and I suggest no unless you're a really in a bad place to follow Phil's advice to work in a call center.

I'd rather staple my dick to a burning barn shed than having to do that experience all over again.

C

Chibibar

Currently call centers are usually the best place to start. Telemarketing pays well but the job is hell since you have to call people and try to sell them stuff which most would end up yelling at you blah blah blah (you get the idea) but technical support is a good way to start.

Necronic

Staff member
Houston jobless rates are on the rise, but its still ok.

From what I understand Oklahoma is the real boom state right now. However, it is oklahoma and you will have to kill yourself after living there 1 year. FACT.

Dave

Staff member
The biggest issue is that we need more information. Just having computer skills right now is not that helpful unless you have at least a bachelor's degree to back it up. And to say that you are losing your job due to the high unemployment is crap. Now, if the business you work for is downsizing I can understand it, but unless you have a job that is directly tied to the performance of the job market your first statement is not accurate. Also, what kind of disability do you have? Wheelchair but mentally stable or emotional instability? Is it a visible disability?

You seem to have the ability to relocate easily, which is good, but you'll also need a place to live when you get there and that means either having friends in the area or down payments.

My advice without getting any further information from you:

Look at the employment statistics provided by steinman and go to some sites that post jobs for those areas. For example, for Iowa, Nebraska, & the Dakotas, you can access Careerlink.org and search jobs there. In fact, in Omaha most places require you to fill out a careerlink profile to be considered.

fade

Staff member
I agree with Dave. 10-15 years ago, "computer skills sans degree" would get you somewhere. Now everybody has modest computer skills, unfortunately for the job seeker.

I have l33t computer skills. What jobs should I go find Dave? How l33t? Well, I don't want to brag but I've burned some floppy's in my time.

Status
Not open for further replies.