[Movies] Star Wars Ep. VIII has a name...

...it might be the prettiest.
Easily, hands down. They spent a lot of time on scenes and shots to make it visually stunning. The framing of so many scenes was perfect.

Then on top of that they added so much stuff to each scene, there's no way to see everything, you're just swept along without time to examine the detail put into everything.

Okay, I haven't seen it yet but some people seem to be absolutely livid about it.
Are these just overly-entitled fanboys throwing a tantrum?

Okay, I haven't seen it yet but some people seem to be absolutely livid about it.
Without spoilers, yes. It is a movie that defies expectations and does its own thing, and naturally people are going to be defensive about that.

Yes. If you look at surveys the film is rated highly, not just by critics.

But the people who don’t like it are loud.

Due to Solo's performance, Disney is shelving other spin-offs and instead putting more focus on Episode IX and Johnston's trilogy.

I still don't think Solo did bad at the box office, and really the toys probably made a ton, but I'm not a movie exec so I don't know anything.

I still don't think Solo did bad at the box office, and really the toys probably made a ton, but I'm not a movie exec so I don't know anything.
Budget of $250M-300M, so break-even is probably somewhere in the $500-600M region, box office of $343.3M thus far... Dunno about bad, but it definitely isn't looking good. Disney has plenty of other projects that produce profitable movies and also move a ton of toys.

So, how do you think they'll kill him off?
A heroic last stand against a resurrected Snoke.

They're back on Mustafar. Somehow. For some reason. Snoke is ominously approaching through the smoke from the lava. He's grown a third arm, and he's holding three glowing red lightsabers. In each hand. So he's got nine in total. Kylo Ren, who's now totally a good guy, and Rose, and her clones Lily, Daisy, and Magnolia, take up lightsabers of their own and attack. They fight. Snoke wins, easily. Both of Kylo's hands are cut off. He falls to his knees. Suddenly, a caped figure swoops down from the sky.

"Batman?" Kylo asks, in confusion.

"Close... Two-Face, sort of." Lando replies with a grin. He picks up Kylo's lightsaber and ignites it. There's a dramatic shot of him standing there with the glowing blade and his cloak billowing in the wind, illuminated by the lava. "Don't worry, kid. I got this." He swings the lightsaber at Snoke. Snoke easily parries it and then decapitates him with one blow.

Billy Dee Williams is paid fifty million dollars for his twelve second cameo. The fans unanimously agree it was worth it.

I'm betting part of the reason they want Billy Dee Williams is because Carrie Fisher died and they don't have any other "famous" folks to act as leaders in the Rebellion aside from Lando and Chewie. I wouldn't be surprised if he has a major part.

@drifter In the past year and a half, Scarlett Johanson has been cast in roles of a Japanese woman and a transgender man, so now there's a joke/meme of her getting cast in roles she's not suited for, such as Lando.

@drifter In the past year and a half, Scarlett Johanson has been cast in roles of a Japanese woman and a transgender man, so now there's a joke/meme of her getting cast in roles she's not suited for, such as Lando.
I'm more forgiving of ghost in the Shell because she was not meant to look Japanese. She was an Android body, and if you're making an Android body, why wouldn't you make it look like Scarlett Johansson?

I'm less forgiving that it was a bad movie.

I'm more forgiving of ghost in the Shell because she was not meant to look Japanese. She was an Android body, and if you're making an Android body, why wouldn't you make it look like Scarlett Johansson?

I'm less forgiving that it was a bad movie.
I think that excuse in the movie was lampshading, but people probably would've eventually forgiven it if the movie had been any good. I think her dismissive attitude is what's earned her being mocked about this stuff lately, such as posts about how when they do a documentary about the Thailand Cave boys, she will play all 12 of them a la Eddie Murphy in The Nutty Professor.

GasBandit

Staff member
Bah, I said it before and I'll say it again, the source material (especially GITS:SAC, arguably the best and most popular iteration) had Motoko looking closer to ScarJo than any Asian actress in existence.

Bah, I said it before and I'll say it again, the source material (especially GITS:SAC, arguably the best and most popular iteration) had Motoko looking closer to ScarJo than any Asian actress in existence.
So... like most anime characters then?