blotsfan

blotsfan

The Last Jedi.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Meh.

Bubble181

Bubble181

I do agree. It's too early to say anything about the movie, of course, but the title doesn't have a lot of panache. Not as 'active' as most titles up to now, and....Wasn't RotJ pretty much "the Last Jedi" anyway? I assume this means we'll see Luke fall, so that (once again) there's only one remaining...But we'll see.

CynicismKills

CynicismKills

With Ren on his way to Snoke, and that final scene in VII, I figured this one would be Jedi/Sith-centric. Let's just hope it's a fun ride.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

With Ren on his way to Snoke, and that final scene in VII, I figured this one would be Jedi/Sith-centric. Let's just hope it's a fun ride.
Come to think of it, you know what might be interesting? A Sith version of Yoda's training. We know Kylo Ren is constantly battling with himself not to be "swayed by the Light Side," which is an interesting twist on Luke's inner struggle. Including a training montage from the Dark Side's point of view would continue that contrast.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

See, everyone thinks this is talking about a person, it could be a change in ideology. The last Jedi could refer to the Jedi belief system being abandoned or radically changed, similar to how Luke's new Jedi academy abandoned the no emotion thing and became more grey.

Dave

Dave

Or Luke trains Rey and then gets killed, making Rey the Last Jedi.

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

Or Luke is a Sith! and Rey is already the last Jedi.

Dave

Dave

Or Luke is a Sith! and Rey is already the last Jedi.
Well, they've already
killed off Han
and Leia is now dead (by necessity). I fully think they will kill Luke off.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Well, they've already
killed off Han
and Leia is now dead (by necessity). I fully think they will kill Luke off.
I actually think they intended to kill Luke off in this one and Leia in the last one. Whether or not they'll somehow reverse that or just do a two-for-one deal or something, I dunno. But I think it's fairly obvious they'll clear Luke off (eventually). Having Yoda or Obi-Wan around would've meant there was little reason to send Luke alone on his journey. With Gandalf around the trip to Mount Doom would've been a lot easier. You get inspired/mentored/taught, then you have to go complete your own journey.

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

I actually think they intended to kill Luke off in this one and Leia in the last one. Whether or not they'll somehow reverse that or just do a two-for-one deal or something, I dunno. But I think it's fairly obvious they'll clear Luke off (eventually). Having Yoda or Obi-Wan around would've meant there was little reason to send Luke alone on his journey. With Gandalf around the trip to Mount Doom would've been a lot easier. You get inspired/mentored/taught, then you have to go complete your own journey.
But, hopefully, we'll get to see Luke in all of his Jedi Knight glory before he is cut down.

Bubble181

Bubble181

But, hopefully, we'll get to see Luke in all of his Jedi Knight glory before he is cut down.
And hopefully, it'll be more stylish/impressive than Yoda in the prequels.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

And hopefully, it'll be more stylish/impressive than Yoda in the prequels.

"...and then I threw the Senate at him!"

phil

phil

I mean, they can keep Luke around IMO. If taking down the First Order and Knights of Ren was a single jedi job, Luke would have done it already. It's not unreasonable to assume that he'll need help or just not be in his prime after hiding out for so long and take more of a backseat role.

Personally I think The Last Jedi might refer to Luke no longer looking to rebuild the Jedi order. I think he might be realizing that a select group of force users have been putting the galaxy into a constant state of warfare for who knows how long. His family alone has had a major hand in the last three major conflicts in the last ~60 years.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

PatrThom

PatrThom

Is that even still canon?

--Patrick

@Li3n

@Li3n

Great, now you won't be able to refer to RotJ as Jedi any more without sowing confusion.

Also, the Jedi need to plan their return better next time.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Is that even still canon?

--Patrick
It's from Return of the Jedi; why wouldn't it be canon? The new canon only throws out the hundreds of media pieces that include TV specials, novels, comic books, and video games. It keeps the original trilogy, the prequel trilogy, and anything Disney likes post-purchase.

Far

Far

In the crawl for The Force Awakens, it refers to Luke as the last Jedi.

trust-in-the-opening-crawl.png.jpg

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

In the crawl for The Force Awakens, it refers to Luke as the last Jedi.

View attachment 23121
PatrThom probably hasn't seen that movie yet, so it doesn't count.

phil

phil

Great, now you won't be able to refer to RotJ as Jedi any more without sowing confusion.

Also, the Jedi need to plan their return better next time.
Really it should be called return of A jedi.

PatrThom

PatrThom

PatrThom probably hasn't seen that movie yet, so it doesn't count.
I've seen Force Awakens.

--Patrick

Mathias

Mathias

It's from Return of the Jedi; why wouldn't it be canon? The new canon only throws out the hundreds of media pieces that include TV specials, novels, comic books, and video games. It keeps the original trilogy, the prequel trilogy, and anything Disney likes post-purchase.
I think the Clone Wars cartoons are considered canon too.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

And Star Wars Rebels has 3 other Jedi hanging around the day before the Battle of Yavin.

GasBandit

GasBandit

PatrThom

PatrThom

Rey's gonna have a brother?

--Patrick

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Rey's gonna have a brother?

--Patrick
Nah, the other Jedi is Bigger Luke

@Li3n

@Li3n

And Star Wars Rebels has 3 other Jedi hanging around the day before the Battle of Yavin.
To be fair, Yoda has mega incognito, so he had no way of knowing a guy that barely finished his training was still around, and got his own padawan.

And does Ashoka count, since she left the Order like Dooku did?

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

To be fair, Yoda has mega incognito, so he had no way of knowing a guy that barely finished his training was still around, and got his own padawan.

And does Ashoka count, since she left the Order like Dooku did?
Yoda spoke with the kid.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Yoda spoke with the kid.
Oh, right... but it was in a vision. There's some leway in that.

Jay

Jay

I just finished watching the first 6 Star Wars movie with my wife. Now she gets to see Force Awakens for the first time with me. Then we can watch the Rogue One as well.

Let me tell you, looking forward to this movie, no joke.

The last 3 movies were hard times.... especially Phantom Menace... it's REALLY as bad I remembered, no exaggeration. Fuck Jar Jar.
The last 2 movies picked up a bit but until Anakin turns into Dark Vader, Hayden Christensen's wooden performance are truly awful.
The way the movie is cut and how stale the acting is is very noticeable.

Frank

Frank

From mai point of view the jedi are evil!

That's terrible writing Anakin!

GasBandit

GasBandit

I just finished watching the first 6 Star Wars movie with my wife. Now she gets to see Force Awakens for the first time with me. Then we can watch the Rogue One as well.

Let me tell you, looking forward to this movie, no joke.

The last 3 movies were hard times.... especially Phantom Menace... it's REALLY as bad I remembered, no exaggeration. Fuck Jar Jar.
The last 2 movies picked up a bit but until Anakin turns into Dark Vader, Hayden Christensen's wooden performance are truly awful.
The way the movie is cut and how stale the acting is is very noticeable.
Aw man, if you had let us know you were doing a rewatch, I'd have recommended watching the Anti-Cheese fan edit of Phantom Menace, and the despecialized editions of the main trilogy. Also I'd have recommended watching them episode 4-5-1*-2-3-6 order, aka the "flashback" order, (with 1* being the anti-cheese edit) to keep the "I am your father" reveal a surprise and help things develop more smoothly.

Jay

Jay

Aw man, if you had let us know you were doing a rewatch, I'd have recommended watching the Anti-Cheese fan edit of Phantom Menace, and the despecialized editions of the main trilogy. Also I'd have recommended watching them episode 4-5-1*-2-3-6 order, aka the "flashback" order, (with 1* being the anti-cheese edit) to keep the "I am your father" reveal a surprise and help things develop more smoothly.
Actually, I did watch 4-5-6-1-2-3 now I'll watch 7 and 3.5?

And yes, I'm aware of the edited version and respect them but I haven't seen 1-2-3 since their release. I wanted the masochist in me to feel that pain.

1 was pretty brutal. 2 was better overall. Hayden had shit acting skills but McGregor/Lee made it better. 3 was the best of the 3, maybe it's because Anakin turned halfway into the movie and required to talk less. He probably started being less shitty as an actor by then. The score shines in 3 and the combat is great... except the one with Anakin/Obi Wan. It starts off great but for some reason Lucas needed to jizz out CGI on the lava acrobat shit that went on. It was senseless.

At least the Yoda/Palpatine combat made sense.

McGregor delivered at the end, loved his lines. The whole Padme dying was badly done and the meme classic of NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO really was pure shit. It started so well but they could have done so much... but the lame ass NOOOOOOOOOOOO killed the scene.

I know people had their qualms with 7 but I really liked it and after Rogue One, I think Disney can do Star Wars right or at least much better than Lucas did in the last 30 years he had the franchise.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

The score shines in 3

McGregor delivered at the end, loved his lines. The whole Padme dying was badly done and the meme classic of NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO really was pure shit. It started so well but they could have done so much... but the lame ass NOOOOOOOOOOOO killed the scene.
Linking these two thoughts--John Williams wrote an excellent piece of music going through the finale of the birth, Padme's death, and Vader's appearance. I have the score and listening to that piece on its own, it's so powerful and emotional. It strengthens this set of images. And then ... "NOOOOOOOO" shits all over the crescendo, competing with it, and ultimately drowning out the music via the unstoppable laughter of the audience. Lucas was a fucking garbage director and a hack editor.

I know people had their qualms with 7 but I really liked it and after Rogue One, I think Disney can do Star Wars right or at least much better than Lucas did in the last 30 years he had the franchise.
^This guy knows what's up.

Jay

Jay

From mai point of view the jedi are evil!

That's terrible writing Anakin!
Yea, I cringed at that part. Amateur writing with easy fix which can turn it around on a dime.

"There's no such thing as good or evil Obi Wan... only the republic. Join us or die Jedi!"

or

"This is bullshit - you're oversimplifying a complex situation to the point of no longer adding anything useful to the discussion. Die Jedi SCUM!"[DOUBLEPOST=1485322134,1485322020][/DOUBLEPOST]
Lucas was a fucking garbage director and a hack editor.
When his wife died, he was only surrounded by yes men. No one challenged him, no one dared to defy him. He was a very powerful man.

Just Me

Just Me

Absolutely with you on this!

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

When his wife died, he was only surrounded by yes men. No one challenged him, no one dared to defy him. He was a very powerful man.
He made the OT, American Graffiti, founded THX, Indiana Jones, Oscar noms, made tons of $$$. So, it's not like he didn't have any cred. How do you tell someone so successful that their ideas are bad?

In retrospect, it would have been way better if Lucas paired up with a strong producer like Kathleen Kennedy than McCallum. So, you're right, he probably did surround himself with Yes men, but can you blame him?

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

He made the OT, American Graffiti, founded THX, Indiana Jones, Oscar noms, made tons of $$$. So, it's not like he didn't have any cred. How do you tell someone so successful that their ideas are bad?
"made" is probably more accurate.

The OT seems to have been good despite Lucas. He only directed the first one and it was apparently a mess before his wife did the editing herself. You can thank her for the Death Star trench climax turning out so well. The sequels had less to do with Lucas, particularly Empire. While Lucas came up with the idea of Indiana Jones, it was Spielberg who made the movies, often while nixing Lucas's bad ideas. The only one where he let Lucas have his way was Crystal Skull and ... yeah.

But he gained a rep for a lot of other people's talent and didn't want to hear shit from anyone, so things went the way they did.

blotsfan

blotsfan

I think that's selling Lucas short. He's come up with some great ideas over his career and while he needs someone to refine them, his success is a lot of his merit.

Jay

Jay

In retrospect, it would have been way better if Lucas paired up with a strong producer like Kathleen Kennedy than McCallum. So, you're right, he probably did surround himself with Yes men, but can you blame him?
After enduring The Phantom Menace? Yes.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I think that's selling Lucas short. He's come up with some great ideas over his career and while he needs someone to refine them, his success is a lot of his merit.
Shorter version of what I typed before editing: I'm not saying Lucas isn't an artist. Lucas is definitely an artist. But so's my 2-year-old nephew.

Just Me

Just Me

Lucas can come up with great ideas (though he not always does), but he should better leave the execution to others. Because this way we get three good Indiana Jones movies and the OT, otherwise we get the prequels...

As already has been mentioned, the man himself wasn't responsible for EpIV's final cut, Irvin Kershner didn't let him meddle with EpV, and Lucas chose a weaker director for EpVI. And when he did the prequels it was as said above. 'I gonna make great movie, the greatest movie ever, and it will be marvelous!' *sycophants applaud*

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Since someone mentioned Ahsoka last page... you might want to watch Season 2 of Rebels. Also Kanan and Ezra, but I'm assuming something happens with THEM by the time of the Rebels finale.

Basically, the only possible Jedi still around (other than Luke or new ones) are all on Rebels. Everyone else abandoned the order or are dead.

Just Me

Just Me

Since someone mentioned Ahsoka last page... you might want to watch Season 2 of Rebels. Also Kanan and Ezra, but I'm assuming something happens with THEM by the time of the Rebels finale.

Basically, the only possible Jedi still around (other than Luke or new ones) are all on Rebels. Everyone else abandoned the order or are dead.
I love Rebels. Was kinda sceptical as I never really became interested in Clone Wars, but that might have been because that show had the spirit of the prequels hanging over them. Rebels though caught me fair and square and made me binge-watch season 1 after the first episode. Same then with season 2 as soon as I got the DVD. Just like Rogue One it's got that good ol' Star wars feeling we had when playing West End Game's D6 RPG.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Heh, Episode BB-8! I'd watch it.

MindDetective

MindDetective

Or Luke trains Rey and then gets killed, making Rey the Last Jedi.
The plural of Jedi is Jedi...

Dave

Dave

The plural of Jedi is Jedi...
I rather doubt that they mean plural. Otherwise there could be thousands and call them the Last Jedi.

MindDetective

MindDetective

I rather doubt that they mean plural. Otherwise there could be thousands and call them the Last Jedi.
Or there could be two. *shrug*

phil

phil

I feel like you'd say 'the last of the jedi' in that case. Like, the last jedi feels like we're talking about one person.

MindDetective

MindDetective

I feel like you'd say 'the last of the jedi' in that case. Like, the last jedi feels like we're talking about one person.
I suspect it is ambiguous on purpose.

@Li3n

@Li3n

You say that like it's a bad thing...

I for one wouldn't mind a decent cinematic take on a squad of lightsaber wielding bad-asses...

Then again, i'd prefer it be set in KotOR times...

I feel like you'd say 'the last of the jedi' in that case.
Wasn't the Last of the Mohicans one guy (because he became the last once his son died without issue, and he was like 2 old)?

ncts_dodge_man

ncts_dodge_man

You say that like it's a bad thing...

I for one wouldn't mind a decent cinematic take on a squad of lightsaber wielding bad-asses...

Then again, i'd prefer it be set in KotOR times...
A KotOR-era movie set would be awesome, and be made epic if HK-47 is in it, meatbag.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

Also I'd have recommended watching them episode 4-5-1*-2-3-6 order . . . to keep the "I am your father" reveal a surprise
huh? That scene is in 5. You're providing the reveal in the second movie. How does this keep it a surprise?

Tress

Tress

huh? That scene is in 5.
Maybe he was suggesting a dramatic cliffhanger in the middle of 5, watching the other 3, and then jumping back into the end of 5?

GasBandit

GasBandit

huh? That scene is in 5.
Exactly. You start to watch with episode 4, then 5 where the "No, *I* am your father!" reveal happens, *then* you watch the prequel trilogy as a "flashback" explaining how Anakin Skywalker came to be Darth Vader, then wrap it up with RotJ.

If you watch them in episode order, "I AM YOUR FATHER" just gets a big "duh" from the audience.

And if you're not watching the no-cheese fan edit of ep 1, you can skip that one entirely.

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

Maybe he was suggesting a dramatic cliffhanger in the middle of 5, watching the other 3, and then jumping back into the end of 5?
That would be a neat way to do it.[DOUBLEPOST=1485470916,1485470778][/DOUBLEPOST]
Exactly. You start to watch with episode 4, then 5 where the "No, *I* am your father!" reveal happens, *then* you watch the prequel trilogy as a "flashback" explaining how Anakin Skywalker came to be Darth Vader, then wrap it up with RotJ.

If you watch them in episode order, "I AM YOUR FATHER" just gets a big "duh" from the audience.

And if you're not watching the no-cheese fan edit of ep 1, you can skip that one entirely.
Oh, okay. I guess it's just my natural inclination to watch them in order of release, so I didn't really contemplate starting with episode 1.

(Also because starting with episode 1 really ought to result in not watching anything past the first half of episode 1)

GasBandit

GasBandit

That would be a neat way to do it.[DOUBLEPOST=1485470916,1485470778][/DOUBLEPOST]
Oh, okay. I guess it's just my natural inclination to watch them in order of release, so I didn't really contemplate starting with episode 1.

(Also because starting with episode 1 really ought to result in not watching anything past the first half of episode 1)
There was a big discussion, or maybe it was an article, I forget, about what the best way was to show the Star Wars movies to someone who had never watched them before.

Some said "release" order, 4-5-6-1-2-3

Some said "episode" order, 1-2-3-4-5-6

Most favored "flashback" order, 4-5-1-2-3-6.

My opinion was "Flashback minus 1" order, where you go 4-5-2-3-6 and just pretend 1 never existed.

Of course, now I'd say the real debate is, where do you watch Rogue One in that order? Before 4, or after 3? I'd say before 4, but watching RO first might make the original trilogy look really dated.

evilmike

evilmike

There was a big discussion, or maybe it was an article, I forget, about what the best way was to show the Star Wars movies to someone who had never watched them before.

Some said "release" order, 4-5-6-1-2-3

Some said "episode" order, 1-2-3-4-5-6

Most favored "flashback" order, 4-5-1-2-3-6.

My opinion was "Flashback minus 1" order, where you go 4-5-2-3-6 and just pretend 1 never existed.

Of course, now I'd say the real debate is, where do you watch Rogue One in that order? Before 4, or after 3? I'd say before 4, but watching RO first might make the original trilogy look really dated.
I don't know about that -- the motion capture work on Leia and Tarkin improves considerably in 4.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Well Ep. 1 doesn't really reveal that he's gonna become Vader... 2 has the Sand People murder, which is more problematic... without it you could easily go 1-2-4-5-3-6;

Although i do guess that the lack of another apprentice for OB1 is a spoiler in itself.

Wouldn't it have been nice if Lucas had actually considered that?

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

My opinion is R1-4-5-6-7 (Theatrical releases for all)

and just pretend Rogue One is the only prequel (so far, as I believe the next one is the story of how Han Solo became indebted to Jabba)

GasBandit

GasBandit

My opinion is R1-4-5-6-7 (Theatrical releases for all)

and just pretend Rogue One is the only prequel (so far, as I believe the next one is the story of how Han Solo became indebted to Jabba)
Eh, 2 was ok, and 3 was actually halfway decent. 3 at least should be in there between 5 and 6.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Watching Rogue One before A New Hope makes it more difficult to sympathize with Luke at first. Poor farmer boy, now he's the hero, you have no idea what people went through to get this information.

My preferred order is just to watch them in theatrical order. There's no reason to play as if they knew better when releasing different things, so might as well watch them in the order they were thought up and came out. Same way I read the Narnia books.

There's a lot of shit in Rogue One that assumes you've watched the other movies anyway.

GasBandit

GasBandit

There's a lot of shit in Rogue One that assumes you've watched the other movies anyway.
Oh right, I forgot about all the callbacks and stuff.

evilmike

evilmike

klew

klew

The "Last" could mean the previous Jedi (Luke), not the final one, the way Obama is the last president, Trump is the current one, PS3/X360 is last-gen.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

The "Last" could mean the previous Jedi (Luke), not the final one, the way Obama is the last president, Trump is the current one, PS3/X360 is last-gen.
Let's be honest here, Trump will be the last president.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Shouldn't the last one be green? For that stoplight feeling.

Though i guess blue works too, coz lightsaber colours.

Celt Z

Celt Z

If this implies that all this time, Yoda is not dead, just in some kind of Odin-sleep, I'm on board. But then it should be green, like @Li3n said.

@Li3n

@Li3n

If this implies that all this time, Yoda is not dead, just in some kind of Odin-sleep, I'm on board. But then it should be green, like @Li3n said.
Strong, the emo is, in this one! More spanking, as a child, he needed!

GasBandit

GasBandit

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Hey wait a minute!
Snoke.jpg

fade

fade

Man, you guys are harsh on Lucas.

Bubble181

Bubble181

I agree. He certainly dropped the ball on the prequels and the remakes, up to a point, and I do think part of that is a lack of a good sounding board/people who can help with constructive critizism. But he definitely does have talented and managed to create some great things.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Ever since he had all those Gasbandits in Return of the Jedi, he deserves the harsh.

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

I really disliked the prequels and have only seen them once, but I still think he is/was a visionary and has inspired innovations in filmmaking. I was upset with him after the prequels, but I have chilled out a bit since then. My childhood wasn't raped; just offered some candy and a ride.

GasBandit

GasBandit

HAN SHOT FIRST YOU RETCONNING COCKJOCKEY

evilmike

evilmike

In other Star Wars movie news:

Cog

Cog

In spanish the movie is called "Los últimos jedi". That means the last jedi in plural.

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

My excitement over this is in the dirt. I am not liking the casting at all.

This is the Han Solo spinoff cast picture, btw.

Attachments

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I am a little worried about Woody getting cast in the film.

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

And, Donald Glover. It's just weird to have iconic Lando being played by a guy from Community.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I am a little worried about Woody getting cast in the film.
My only worry is that it'd be distracting.

And, Donald Glover. It's just weird to have iconic Lando being played by a guy from Community.
Community actors should stay in their lane? What's wrong with them?

blotsfan

blotsfan

You're the first person I've heard who didn't think Glover was the perfect choice for Lando.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Community actors should stay in their lane? What's wrong with them?
Abed nearly completely destroyed my immersion in Winter Soldier.

And Troy pretending to be Abed in The Martian.

MindDetective

MindDetective

Abed nearly completely destroyed my immersion in Winter Soldier.

And Troy pretending to be Abed in The Martian.
I agree on Winter Soldier. I disagree on the Martian.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Childish Gambino is a goddamn national treasure.[DOUBLEPOST=1487722773,1487722723][/DOUBLEPOST]
My excitement over this is in the dirt. I am not liking the casting at all.

This is the Han Solo spinoff cast picture, btw.

I do have to say though, the wookiee they got to play chewbacca is spot on.

bhamv3

bhamv3

At this point I feel kinda glad I've never watched Community, it sounds like their cast members keep popping up elsewhere and destroying immersion.

GasBandit

GasBandit

At this point I feel kinda glad I've never watched Community, it sounds like their cast members keep popping up elsewhere and destroying immersion.
Eh, mostly just Danny Pudi and Don Glover.

Occasionally Allison Brie.

But the reason is because Community was so gosh darn enjoyable.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

A cameo is more distracting than a role.

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

I thought Glover overacted in the The Martian too. And, yes, should have been Abed.

And, the directors are comedy/cartoon directors. So, is this going to be a "funny" SW movie? Ugh. I sure hope not.
So, I am not exactly thrilled about this movie.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I thought Glover overacted in the The Martian too. And, yes, should have been Abed.
It was made all the more impossible to ignore because it so directly reminded me of the "Freaky Friday" community episode where Troy and Abed pretended to be each other for the whole episode.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Heard a rumor that we're getting a trailer today. Anyone confirm?

chris

chris

here it is

bhamv3

bhamv3

Hmm...

Rey's reaction at the start of the trailer makes me think she also had a vision of something she didn't like. There's also Luke training Rey, Rey rushing off somewhere to do something lightsabery, Finn and Poe in peril, the good guys' base getting hit... all in all, it feels like they're aiming for the same story beats as Empire Strikes Back.

I'm probably wrong. I hope I'm wrong. After the criticism of how TFA was too similar to A New Hope, there's no way they'd make the same mistake again, right? Right?

GasBandit

GasBandit

Hmm...

Rey's reaction at the start of the trailer makes me think she also had a vision of something she didn't like. There's also Luke training Rey, Rey rushing off somewhere to do something lightsabery, Finn and Poe in peril, the good guys' base getting hit... all in all, it feels like they're aiming for the same story beats as Empire Strikes Back.

I'm probably wrong. I hope I'm wrong. After the criticism of how TFA was too similar to A New Hope, there's no way they'd make the same mistake again, right? Right?
I just made a coworker flabbergasted by saying "This is Empire Strikes Back again, just like the last one was A New Hope again. Calling it now, the big reveal will be that Luke is Rei's father... and is also Snoke."

I just threw that last bit in to tease him a little bit and BOY did it hit a nerve.

Dave

Dave

Ever thought that this is on purpose? That last line about how the Jedi have to end might be alluding to the fact that as long as there are Jedi & Sith running around, history will continue to repeat itself over and over. Once the balance is struck there's no need for either any longer and the cycle will be broken.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Would you say that its like poetry, it rhymes?

Jay

Jay

I'm pretty sure Rei is a palpatine. There has always been a Skywalker and a Palpatine!

blotsfan

blotsfan

I still like my idea that she is a "force reincarnation" of Anakin. Given how Kylo Ren worships Anakin, it'd add a lot to their dynamic IMO.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

Meh.

I mean, I'll still eventually see it (not opening weekend or anything), but...meh?

I find it harder and harder to get excited for these movies anymore.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I'm pretty sure Rei is a palpatine. There has always been a Skywalker and a Palpatine!
That'd be crazy, but I kinda love it.

I take the critiques of sameness of TFA same as with Marvel; it's populist buzzword buzzard shit. TFA hits beats, but it's like calling two breeds of dog the same because they have fur and piss on your lawn. Both a Labrador and a schnauzer may have those attributes, but they're not the same thing. Be my guest to all who want Youtubers to ruin your moviegoing experience; whether Channel Awesome whines "saaame" or not, I'm gonna absorb the joy I can get out of it. We're all gonna die some day; it's each our own choice how we handle getting good Star Wars movies after 30 years of drought.[DOUBLEPOST=1492210068,1492209956][/DOUBLEPOST]
I find it harder and harder to get excited for these movies anymore.

I swear I typed that before you posted, but no one will ever believe me :p. You're feeling this way about things from your past; maybe there are new things you'd like better than old things that no longer do it for you. Things that were never scored by John Williams.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

I swear I typed that before you posted, but no one will ever believe me :p. You're feeling this way about things from your past; maybe there are new things you'd like better than old things that no longer do it for you. Things that were never scored by John Williams.
Honestly, I was never really huge into Star Wars. I liked it well enough and enjoyed watching them, but I never went absolutely apeshit for them like many of my friends. Same as the two new ones. I liked them, but that's about it.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Honestly, I was never really huge into Star Wars. I liked it well enough and enjoyed watching them, but I never went absolutely apeshit for them like many of my friends. Same as the two new ones. I liked them, but that's about it.
I *was* absolutely apeshit over all things Star Wars, in the 90s. You know, back when there were only 3 movies and every single one of the video games were awesome.

The first nail in the coffin was Phantom Menace.

The last nail in the coffin was Force Unleashed.

But yeah, I'll pay my nerd tax and still go see it.

Jay

Jay

But yeah, I'll pay my nerd tax and still go see it.
With Disney at the helm, it's gotten better. I really liked Rogue One and I want to see where they'll go with this.

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

I take the critiques of sameness of TFA same as with Marvel; it's populist buzzword buzzard shit. TFA hits beats. . .
I know, eh? After JJ Abrams put so much Star Wars into his Star Trek, he just had to put all of the Star Wars into his Star Wars.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Just to note, if Star Wars isn't a big deal for someone, that's cool.

I know, eh? After JJ Abrams put so much Star Wars into his Star Trek, he just had to put all of the Star Wars into his Star Wars.
Didn't see any of his Star Trek movies, little interest in Star Trek.

Guy on a forum I used to visit hated Pixar movies except the first Toy Story. Why? He said they were all the same. He described A Bug's Life as Toy Story with bugs, Monsters Inc as Toy Story with monsters, The Incredibles as Toy Story with superheroes, and so on. That's how the Marvel and Star Wars "same" crowd come across.

Dei

Dei

I camped out for a week for Episode 1. I don't really hate it with the complete vehemence other people do, maybe because I have good memories surrounding it's release. I hate Episode 2 and 3 far more, mostly because of the terrible dialogue from Anakin. Ewan McGregor was the only thing that saved the movies for me in any way.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Just to note, if Star Wars isn't a big deal for someone, that's cool.

Didn't see any of his Star Trek movies, little interest in Star Trek.

Guy on a forum I used to visit hated Pixar movies except the first Toy Story. Why? He said they were all the same. He described A Bug's Life as Toy Story with bugs, Monsters Inc as Toy Story with monsters, The Incredibles as Toy Story with superheroes, and so on. That's how the Marvel and Star Wars "same" crowd come across.
I think samey is a very valid criticism for something that is a common feeling but sometimes people can't quite put their finger on it. I love the new star wars movies, and the marvel movies, but there is a certain glossiness to them that makes them feel just a little too perfect. They are carefully engineered to make us like them, which isn't a bad thing, but when you become over saturated with it you start to taste the artificial sweetener a little more than you used to.

I think this hit me most when I saw Logan. Logan is a fantastic film with a surprising amount of heart underneath all the violence, and it carried with it a sort of authenticity that isn't as apparent in the Disney movies. I know they are vastly different types of film and that makes them difficult to compare, and I don't want marvel movies to go for the kind of grit Logan had, but I can totally see someone getting burnt out on all that shine.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I think samey is a very valid criticism for something that is a common feeling but sometimes people can't quite put their finger on it. I love the new star wars movies, and the marvel movies, but there is a certain glossiness to them that makes them feel just a little too perfect. They are carefully engineered to make us like them, which isn't a bad thing, but when you become over saturated with it you start to taste the artificial sweetener a little more than you used to.

I think this hit me most when I saw Logan. Logan is a fantastic film with a surprising amount of heart underneath all the violence, and it carried with it a sort of authenticity that isn't as apparent in the Disney movies. I know they are vastly different types of film and that makes them difficult to compare, and I don't want marvel movies to go for the kind of grit Logan had, but I can totally see someone getting burnt out on all that shine.
I don't think it's very valid criticism. I think it's a shallow approach to what is a genuine criticism that you've elaborated on. Maybe that could be taken as semantics, but I think boiling down what you've said to "they're the same" is not just an oversimplification; it's inaccurate.

Now what you're pointing out is the real meat of the issue. Most certainly to an extant these movies have gone through rigorous formula study, which makes it strange when one of them comes out weak. It's not to say these movies don't have heart or personality, but it's not the kind you get from a passion project.

Why? Because these Disney movies rely on the heart/personality of the characters. A passion project or movie where the director can get their hands into it, that has the storyteller's heart and personality. I haven't seen Logan, but I'm sure it's that way. I'm also certain Ant-Man would've been that way had it remained Edgar Wright's project.

That's where the DCEU issues come in. If you see Doctor Strange, you're seeing a Marvel/Disney movie. If you see Batman vs Superman, you're seeing a Zack Snyder movie. That's without getting into which movie is good and which movie isn't; on a matter of personalization, Disney largely isn't interested. Some directors find ways to work within that--I'd say Guardians is undoubtedly a James Gunn movie.

But it's not the same as calling all of it the same. That's just a buzzword passing over a genuine issue. If people are just saying "same" because they can't put their finger on the stuff you brought up, maybe they should wait and give it some real thought first isn't of grasping for what Youtubers toss out.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

But it's not the same as calling all of it the same. That's just a buzzword passing over a genuine issue. If people are just saying "same" because they can't put their finger on the stuff you brought up, maybe they should wait and give it some real thought first isn't of grasping for what Youtubers toss out.
Why? I understand you don't like the criticism, but the question should be why not? Typically the way the conversation goes is someone says they don't like x, and since you do like x, you ask why. And they don't have a detailed answer because maybe they aren't that invested, or maybe they simply don't have the time, but you asked so they give their best approximation, they're kinda samey. Now you are upset with the answer that you asked them to give.

drifter

drifter

Sounds like the difference between a non-fan and a fan's perspective. Like, if you're not a heavy metal fan, they all sound the same, but if you're a fan you're invested enough to tell the difference between thrash and numetal

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Why? I understand you don't like the criticism, but the question should be why not? Typically the way the conversation goes is someone says they don't like x, and since you do like x, you ask why. And they don't have a detailed answer because maybe they aren't that invested, or maybe they simply don't have the time, but you asked so they give their best approximation, they're kinda samey. Now you are upset with the answer that you asked them to give.
I have zero problems with people disliking the movies. What annoys me are people who like them (or say so) but apply the "same" argument as their critique to them. That's why I don't harp on the DCEU fans for having issues with Marvel movies even though the DCEU movies suck so far.

It's not like I like each Marvel movie. Thor 2, Iron Man 2, no thanks. But they're not the same movie.

jwhouk

jwhouk

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!

PatrThom

PatrThom

Sounds like the difference between a non-fan and a fan's perspective. Like, if you're not a heavy metal fan, they all sound the same, but if you're a fan you're invested enough to tell the difference between thrash and numetal
This would be part of what was revealed with the Pearls before breakfast social experiment. When interviewing the passers-by, the ones who were most captivated were the ones who had had the most musical training, and therefore the ones most able to recognize the nuance.

--Patrick

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

This would be part of what was revealed with the Pearls before breakfast social experiment. When interviewing the passers-by, the ones who were most captivated were the ones who had had the most musical training, and therefore the ones most able to recognize the nuance.

--Patrick
And kids.

Jay

Jay

I camped out for a week for Episode 1. I don't really hate it with the complete vehemence other people do, maybe because I have good memories surrounding it's release. I hate Episode 2 and 3 far more, mostly because of the terrible dialogue from Anakin. Ewan McGregor was the only thing that saved the movies for me in any way.
Around the X-Mas holidays, I re-watched at 7 movies along with Rogue One. Episode 1 was baaaaad but Episode 2 was a special kind of painful. Truly, a horrible movie!
3 was a better overall, Ewan did the best he can with what he was given and the better part started once Anakin turned.... but..... Haydenson was such. a. shit. actor.

It also didn't help he had the worst lines ever written. I mean comon, there are so many ways they could have worked this and the awful heavy CGI makes this unwatchable (soundtrack is amazing though).

Everyone watch this video, it's barely 6 seconds of your time, so cringeworthy.

The fucking worst.

Denbrought

Denbrought

Around the X-Mas holidays, I re-watched at 7 movies along with Rogue One. Episode 1 was baaaaad but Episode 2 was a special kind of painful. Truly, a horrible movie!
3 was a better overall, Ewan did the best he can with what he was given and the better part started once Anakin turned.... but..... Haydenson was such. a. shit. actor.

It also didn't help he had the worst lines ever written. I mean comon, there are so many ways they could have worked this and the awful heavy CGI makes this unwatchable (soundtrack is amazing though).

The fucking worst.
When we do SW marathons, we've watched The Blackened Mantle in place of the prequels. Much much better, and cuts them down to a single movie.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

The fucking worst.
I've seen Hayden Christiansen in other movies since, and he's not at all a bad actor when he has decent direction.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Yeah, let's be fair. Even Sam Jackson didn't come out of that smoothly.

phil

phil

I'm wondering if there's a case for Hayden in his acting. Like when I went and watched the opening sequence of a new hope it kinda dawned on me that Darth Vader, without the effects and James Earl Jones behind him, would sound flat and uninteresting. Like if a normal dude read Darth Vader's lines, in the style of JEJ but without the depth of his voice and no alterations it might sound like Hayden did in episodes 2 and 3. I need to compare them more to be sure though.

DarkAudit

DarkAudit

I'm wondering if there's a case for Hayden in his acting. Like when I went and watched the opening sequence of a new hope it kinda dawned on me that Darth Vader, without the effects and James Earl Jones behind him, would sound flat and uninteresting. Like if a normal dude read Darth Vader's lines, in the style of JEJ but without the depth of his voice and no alterations it might sound like Hayden did in episodes 2 and 3. I need to compare them more to be sure though.
He sounded like... this.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

He sounded like... this.
I half-expected a joke video where he'd sound like Judge Doom from Who Framed Roger Rabbit.

PatrThom

PatrThom

I half-expected a joke video where he'd sound like Judge Doom from Who Framed Roger Rabbit.
Post-reveal, I assume?

--Patrick

Tress

Tress

Before you bash Hayden Christiansen, watch the movie Life as a House. He's actually good. George Lucas and his shitty writing/directing were the problem.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Before you bash Hayden Christiansen, watch the movie Life as a House. He's actually good. George Lucas and his shitty writing/directing were the problem.
Shattered Glass is the one people recommend me. The poor guy got a big role in a shitty movie and that's unfortunately what he'll always be known for. I doubt he'll get another chance to be in something big until another 15 years from now when it becomes cool to like his awful performance in the prequels.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Made that post into a picture so I can share it! :rofl:
Last Jedi Moana.jpg

fade

fade

I posted this on FB, but it sure feels like my long standing headcanon/fan theory is coming "true". Luke is the one who brings balance to the Force because he embraces his emotions. Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan start things with their flaunting of the Order rules. Obi-Wan even tells Luke his emotions do him credit, and Luke's love for his father defeats the Emperor, not cold asceticism. Even ESB Yoda seems to be jocular and no longer withdrawn, and he's been in communication with Qui-Gon while in exile on Dagobah. Seems like the teaser might be hinting at something like this.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Isn't that what happened in the EU? Not saying that can't reuse that idea since it makes sense, just making sure I'm not misremembering.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Isn't that what happened in the EU? Not saying that can't reuse that idea since it makes sense, just making sure I'm not misremembering.
I'm not an EU expert, but I'm pretty sure the new jedi order trained in both the dark and the light, even if it was understood that too much use of the dark was a bad thing.

figmentPez

figmentPez

@Li3n

@Li3n

I'm not an EU expert, but I'm pretty sure the new jedi order trained in both the dark and the light, even if it was understood that too much use of the dark was a bad thing.
Well, if the games are accurate, they didn't shun using what where considered dark side powers by classic Jedi... because Luke correctly assumed that it wasn't using your emotions that made you fall to the dark side, but getting dominated by them, so it's better to learn to deal with them then suppress them... you know, like when Vader took control of his feelings and ended up a good force ghost.

fade

fade

Reminds me of the jedi academy in SWTOR. They get, like, clerical jobs after being trained in the force. They don't actually seem to disable the force usage, though. It seems a little like giving someone a nuke, training them on how to use it, then dismissing them for disciplinary reasons without actually taking the nuke back. Magically lobotomizing the failed mages in Dragon Age seems cruel, but at least they won't blow up a bus full of nuns.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Well, its less like giving them a nuke, as it is training them to handle the nuke they were born with... the films imply they're all using it subconsciously anyway...

Terrik

Terrik

Made that post into a picture so I can share it! :rofl:
View attachment 23688
My most popular facebook post, ever. Thanks @Cheesy1 :p

Capture+_2017-04-25-17-49-38.png

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Reminds me of the jedi academy in SWTOR. They get, like, clerical jobs after being trained in the force. They don't actually seem to disable the force usage, though. It seems a little like giving someone a nuke, training them on how to use it, then dismissing them for disciplinary reasons without actually taking the nuke back. Magically lobotomizing the failed mages in Dragon Age seems cruel, but at least they won't blow up a bus full of nuns.
It's more like the Order offers people who...

- would never survive a life of fighting...
- can't follow the rules...
- can't control their emotions...
- don't want to become knights...

... the option to have a more normalish life than they would by simply going back to their old lives. They don't FORCE you into this, you can just leave the Jedi Order if you want (like Dooku did) but then you have to deal with the possibility of ether the Jedi deciding you're misusing what they taught you and coming for you or the Sith coming for you to bring you into the fold. That said, there are more than a few Force Sensatives doing thug work for the Cartels or with the Mandolorians... they just don't run around with god damn robes and lightsabers like idiots.

fade

fade

Well, its less like giving them a nuke, as it is training them to handle the nuke they were born with... the films imply they're all using it subconsciously anyway...
I'd say more like being born with a chunk of iron ore you occasionally hit someone with, and having it forged into a sword.

I get that no one is forcing them to stay. dooku is well trained. But the guys I'm specifically talking about failed their training but got enough to be more dangerous. That's why I compared it to dragon age.

Soupy

Soupy

Building on the posts from earlier...

GasBandit

GasBandit

Just something neat - "The Story So Far..."

PatrThom

PatrThom

I detect a theme.

--Patrick

BErt

I detect a theme.

--Patrick
Panorama?

bhamv3

bhamv3

Nah, monochromatic backgrounds. Clearly the Star Wars series needs to add more color.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Panorama?
No, it's more like, "Daah duh duh DAA DAAAA dumm daah dadaaah"

--Patrick

@Li3n

@Li3n

I'd say more like being born with a chunk of iron ore you occasionally hit someone with, and having it forged into a sword.

I get that no one is forcing them to stay. dooku is well trained. But the guys I'm specifically talking about failed their training but got enough to be more dangerous. That's why I compared it to dragon age.

Damn, i forgot to answer this...

Implying a mace is less of a weapon then a sword... for shame.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Ron Howard is the late replacement as director of Young Indiana Jones Han Solo Adventures.

figmentPez

figmentPez

Regarding some of the character reveals today:

evilmike

evilmike

blotsfan

blotsfan

FYI tickets just went on sale. If you wanna preorder, use atomtickets. Much faster than fandango.

ThatNickGuy

ThatNickGuy

The last trailer for The Last Jedi dropped.

I called it before and I'm calling it now: Luke is Snoke.

GasBandit

GasBandit

I hear tell I shouldn't watch that trailer if I don't want spoilers, so I will continue to plug my ears and LA LA LA LA until I'm watching the movie in the theater.

fade

fade

I really really hope Luke is not Snoke. That just goes against everything in the original trilogy.

Denbrought

Denbrought

I really really hope Luke is not Snoke. That just goes against everything in the original trilogy.
Maybe they're just keeping George's spirit alive.

strawman

strawman

I'm certain it's not.

However, it wouldn't go against the original trilogy - good becomes bad (becomes good). It would echo the second trilogy (I-III) in that a bad guy in disguise lures a good person with some darkness to the dark side.

It would just require rey to "save" snoke/luke in the third movie.

But again, I don't think that's in the cards. From various sources here's what we know of what happened immediately prior to episode 7:

Snoke had several apprentices before he became invested in the Skywalker bloodline, believing General Leia Organaand Han Solo's son, Ben Solo, the grandson of Darth Vader and nephew of Jedi Master Luke Skywalker, had the right balance of the dark and light sides of the Force in him.[1]
Leia was aware of the influence Snoke could have on her son, but did not inform Han, believing he would not understand, and that, as a Force-sensitive, it was her responsibility to keep Ben away from the dark side.[1] Eventually, Snoke successfully turned Ben to the dark side, anointing him Kylo Ren, master of the Knights of Ren, and ordered him to destroy Skywalker's revived Jedi Order. Though Ren succeeded in slaughtering the entirety of the fledgling Jedi Order, Skywalker managed to escape into hiding.[2]

So there are still a lot of echos of previous storylines rolling through the current storyline, and it would fit to not have luke as snoke.

fade

fade

I'm certain it's not.

However, it wouldn't go against the original trilogy - good becomes bad (becomes good). It would echo the second trilogy (I-III) in that a bad guy in disguise lures a good person with some darkness to the dark side.

But again, I don't think that's in the cards. From various sources here's what we know of what happened immediately prior to episode 7:

Snoke had several apprentices before he became invested in the Skywalker bloodline, believing General Leia Organaand Han Solo's son, Ben Solo, the grandson of Darth Vader and nephew of Jedi Master Luke Skywalker, had the right balance of the dark and light sides of the Force in him.[1]
Leia was aware of the influence Snoke could have on her son, but did not inform Han, believing he would not understand, and that, as a Force-sensitive, it was her responsibility to keep Ben away from the dark side.[1] Eventually, Snoke successfully turned Ben to the dark side, anointing him Kylo Ren, master of the Knights of Ren, and ordered him to destroy Skywalker's revived Jedi Order. Though Ren succeeded in slaughtering the entirety of the fledgling Jedi Order, Skywalker managed to escape into hiding.[2]

So there are still a lot of echos of previous storylines rolling through the current storyline, and it would fit to not have luke as snoke.
I actually meant to type it goes against everything Luke was in the original trilogy, not the everything in the trilogy.

Dave

Dave

I'm certain it's not.

They really need to have a movie prequel about that spoiler. The next prequel could be the gathering of information on the second Death Star (I want to see Bothans die, damn it!) and then they could do the spoiler movie.

strawman

strawman

They really need to have a movie prequel about that spoiler.
That's like asking for a prequel to the darth vader/luke skywalker spoiler, and now we've got Jar Jar.

Be careful what you ask for.

evilmike

evilmike

That's like asking for a prequel to the darth vader/luke skywalker spoiler, and now we've got Jar Jar.

Be careful what you ask for.

fade

fade

As pointed out in various places, the posters always have the villain as the large head in the background:

MindDetective

MindDetective

Well...that is arguably not true for the episode II.[DOUBLEPOST=1507748506,1507748436][/DOUBLEPOST]Cue people casting aspersions at the acting or pointing out that Anakin eventually becomes a villain, even though he was not in that film.

PatrThom

PatrThom

At first glance I thought this was going to be one of those "...not you" memes, and I wondered what Empire did wrong.

--Patrick

fade

fade

Well...that is arguably not true for the episode II.[DOUBLEPOST=1507748506,1507748436][/DOUBLEPOST]Cue people casting aspersions at the acting or pointing out that Anakin eventually becomes a villain, even though he was not in that film.
Clearly it's the sand. We know Ani's feelings on sand.

fade

fade

Also, if I was Rey, I might be a little afraid to use that saber, seeing as how the last two dudes to use it lost some body parts.

Bubble181

Bubble181

Also, if I was Rey, I might be a little afraid to use that saber, seeing as how the last two dudes to use it lost some body parts.
Not a dude, reference to the whole No Man thing in LOTR. :p

figmentPez

figmentPez

I've heard several people say that it's "obvious" they're going to kill off Luke because the title is "The Last Jedi" and that for Rey to be the last, Luke will have to die.

I say they're thinking too small. Why kill off a Jedi, when you can kill off the Force itself? No more Force, no more Jedi, no more Sith, and a much happier galaxy.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Why kill off a Jedi, when you can kill off the Force itself? No more Force, no more Jedi, no more Sith, and a much happier galaxy.
Why, hello there, most obviously evil and going to betray you, and yet compelling and totally understandable why you'd keep her around even if you knew that, former Sith Lady...

fade

fade

The real twist is that the books they keep showing are Ash's college textbooks, and Ash pops up out of that manhole they focus on realizing that he slept too long (like the deleted alternate ending scene from army of darkness). The sith are revealed to be deadites, Ash and Luke team up as amputee buddies, and the ultimate deadite fight begins. Roll credits. Fin. That's a wrap.

Bubble181

Bubble181

I've heard several people say that it's "obvious" they're going to kill off Luke because the title is "The Last Jedi" and that for Rey to be the last, Luke will have to die.

I say they're thinking too small. Why kill off a Jedi, when you can kill off the Force itself? No more Force, no more Jedi, no more Sith, and a much happier galaxy.
In various other languages, the title translates as the plural version of "the last Jedi", not singular. (In French, for example, Les Derniers Jedi). Anyone who thinks "only" Rey or Luke can remain really hasn't done their homework.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Roll credits. Finn. That's a wrap.
FTFY

--Patrick

@Li3n

@Li3n

In various other languages, the title translates as the plural version of "the last Jedi", not singular. (In French, for example, Les Derniers Jedi). Anyone who thinks "only" Rey or Luke can remain really hasn't done their homework.
Yup, i was just at the IMAX for Blade Runner 2049, and the dubbed trailer for SW was using the plural for the title.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

fade

fade

Guys. They figured it out.

Tress

Tress

Noooooooooooo!

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Noooooooooooo!
Snoke is Jar Jar confirmed!

bhamv3

bhamv3

That's not true! That's impossible!

strawman

strawman

Search yousa feewings...

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

GasBandit

GasBandit

MindDetective

MindDetective

If Star Wars was a Monty Python production...

fade

fade

I posted that a long time ago, so ha!

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

But that was in a whole other galaxy.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Thanks for remembering, saves me the trouble of finding it for proof.

--Patrick

bhamv3

bhamv3

At first I was all like, "Wait a second, Phasma's blaster bolt is coming out of the back of her gun!"

Then I took a closer look and realized that as far as the weird stuff in that image goes, Phasma's blaster is relatively minor.

fade

fade

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

A non-Skywalker series would be welcomed. I don't want to see Yoda's origin. I don't care where Solo came from. Give us new struggles and new villains! I really liked Looper and Brick so I'm excited to see what he has in store.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I feel like this was already expected. Disney didn't spend a bajillion dollars buying Lucasarts to -not- make star wars movies to the end of time.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

Jesus fucking christ, just make Knights of the Old Republic already. Fuck.

strawman

strawman

Knights of the Old Republic
The story was developed by Bioware, and only approved by Lucasarts, who licensed the star wars trademarks and universe elements to bioware. Disney doesn't own the rights to the kotor story, and would have to license it, no doubt at great cost to disney. They'd have to haggle not just over movie rights but tie-ins, characters, toys, etc.

They'd rather pour their money into a movie where they get most of the profit by owning most of the IP.

Chances of ever seeing it on the big screen are approximately nil.

drawn_inward

drawn_inward

Jesus fucking christ, just make Knights of the Old Republic already. Fuck.
A long, long, long, long, long, long long time ago...

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

A long, long, long, long, long, long long time ago...
In a galaxy that was pretty close by back then.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Eh, Phantom Menace proved that Earth is in the same damn galaxy.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

The story was developed by Bioware, and only approved by Lucasarts, who licensed the star wars trademarks and universe elements to bioware. Disney doesn't own the rights to the kotor story, and would have to license it, no doubt at great cost to disney. They'd have to haggle not just over movie rights but tie-ins, characters, toys, etc.

They'd rather pour their money into a movie where they get most of the profit by owning most of the IP.

Chances of ever seeing it on the big screen are approximately nil.
Perhaps, but as the owners of the Star Wars IP, Disney has enormous control over the negotiation of said rights. They could simply hint that EA's continued control of their Star Wars license could be in question if they didn't play ball... and why wouldn't EA play ball? -ANY- amount of percentage on said films and merchandising would likely equal hundreds of millions of dollars and that's not including money they'd get for KOTOR properties they would inevitably be developing at the same time. It's win-win for EA and Disney, who are already looking to expand Star Wars beyond it's current focal point.

That's not even getting into Disney just outright buying EA. Disney's already circling FOX; EA is chump change compared to that.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Eh, Phantom Menace proved that Earth is in the same damn galaxy.
The E.T.s in the Senate. E.T.s can go to Earth, and E.T.s can go to Coruscant. QED

MindDetective

MindDetective

The E.T.s in the Senate. E.T.s can go to Earth, and E.T.s can go to Coruscant. QED
Over the long, long time since the Galactic Senate, they must have figured out intergalactic travel!

strawman

strawman

Perhaps, but as the owners of the Star Wars IP, Disney has enormous control over the negotiation of said rights. They could simply hint that EA's continued control of their Star Wars license could be in question if they didn't play ball... and why wouldn't EA play ball? -ANY- amount of percentage on said films and merchandising would likely equal hundreds of millions of dollars and that's not including money they'd get for KOTOR properties they would inevitably be developing at the same time. It's win-win for EA and Disney, who are already looking to expand Star Wars beyond it's current focal point.

That's not even getting into Disney just outright buying EA. Disney's already circling FOX; EA is chump change compared to that.
Sure, but they just renewed their ten year license agreement. Perhaps the agreement allows disney movie license for the IP, but again - why would disney produce that story when they could produce another story and not have to license it at all?

It could happen, I'm not saying it can't, and perhaps it's even in the works. But the universe is large, they can produce a lot of profitable movies before using material that's already explored in other mediums.

Bubble181

Bubble181

They're not E.T.s, they're an example of convergent evolution. Or, for some of us, of the Creator running short on ideas.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

...the Creator running short on ideas.
That has been obvious since the end of Return of the Jedi.

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

Wait.

Why would the E.T.s in the Senate be the go-to evidence for this theory instead of the humans in every scene?

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

And R2-D2 was on the underside of an alien spaceship in Close Encounters of the Third Kind...

Also he and C3PO were on the wall of an Egyptian Crypt.

strawman

strawman

Didn’t r2d2 get blown out of the ship during a space fight in Star Wars?

This is important! This means something!

PatrThom

PatrThom

Didn’t r2d2 get blown out of the ship during a space fight in Star Wars?

This is important! This means something!
Nice UHF reference, there.

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

Null

Null

"How did you get here?"
"Oh, I just bought loot crates until I got access."

fade

fade

I'm trying to avoid any real in-depth critiques intentionally, but some viewers are saying it may be a bit too heavy on the jokes, like Thor: Ragnarok.

strawman

strawman

You just can't resist getting spoiled can you?

Wow.

fade

fade

I don't think this spoils anything, but people are saying they do some really uncomfortably weird stuff with

the Force.
[DOUBLEPOST=1513181719,1513181251][/DOUBLEPOST]I still think this movie is about to confirm the headcanon I've had going since TPM came out.

Luke (or Rey) will fulfill the prophecy, combining light and dark, and bringing balance. Qui-Gon started it. Obi-Wan knew about it, but was firmly a Jedi. Luke tried, but it backfired with Ben. Rey will accomplish it. What's more, I still think Lucas planned this from far back. Even in the OT, Obi-Wan tells Luke his feelings do him credit, which is a bit uncharacteristic of a Jedi.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I don't think this spoils anything, but people are saying they do some really uncomfortably weird stuff with

the Force.
[DOUBLEPOST=1513181719,1513181251][/DOUBLEPOST]I still think this movie is about to confirm the headcanon I've had going since TPM came out.

Luke (or Rey) will fulfill the prophecy, combining light and dark, and bringing balance. Qui-Gon started it. Obi-Wan knew about it, but was firmly a Jedi. Luke tried, but it backfired with Ben. Rey will accomplish it. What's more, I still think Lucas planned this from far back. Even in the OT, Obi-Wan tells Luke his feelings do him credit, which is a bit uncharacteristic of a Jedi.
I feel like the underlying message of the movies has always been that the Jedi are wrong

Dei

Dei

11821800_1137652056269141_1270147010_n.jpg

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

We call that pulling a Bindo

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Go see it.

Bubble181

Bubble181

I will say, I dogfight think it's the best star wars movie, but it might be the prettiest.

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

I will say, I dogfight think it's the best star wars movie, but it might be the prettiest.
It only took 40 years to top the original special effects.

strawman

strawman

...it might be the prettiest.
Easily, hands down. They spent a lot of time on scenes and shots to make it visually stunning. The framing of so many scenes was perfect.

Then on top of that they added so much stuff to each scene, there's no way to see everything, you're just swept along without time to examine the detail put into everything.

Bubble181

Bubble181

It only took 40 years to top the original special effects.
It's not about the sfx, but like stienman said, the framing, color choices, etc.

Cheesy1

Cheesy1

Okay, I haven't seen it yet but some people seem to be absolutely livid about it.
Are these just overly-entitled fanboys throwing a tantrum?

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

Okay, I haven't seen it yet but some people seem to be absolutely livid about it.
Without spoilers, yes. It is a movie that defies expectations and does its own thing, and naturally people are going to be defensive about that.

strawman

strawman

Yes. If you look at surveys the film is rated highly, not just by critics.

But the people who don’t like it are loud.

Null

Null

Yes. Also a lot of hate that the main characters aren't all white dudes.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Turns out, Lucas had wanted to make the sequels all about Midichlorians.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

tenor (1).gif

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I'm waiting for the crowd that will claim this is what it should have been because at least none of those microorganisms were women or minorities

blotsfan

blotsfan

I'm waiting for the crowd that will claim this is what it should have been because at least none of those microorganisms were women or minorities
I saw them in the initial twitter story.

Gruebeard

Gruebeard

This is a hoax, right?

blotsfan

blotsfan

This is a hoax, right?
Search your feelings, you know it to be true.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

Due to Solo's performance, Disney is shelving other spin-offs and instead putting more focus on Episode IX and Johnston's trilogy.

I still don't think Solo did bad at the box office, and really the toys probably made a ton, but I'm not a movie exec so I don't know anything.

Denbrought

Denbrought

I still don't think Solo did bad at the box office, and really the toys probably made a ton, but I'm not a movie exec so I don't know anything.
Budget of $250M-300M, so break-even is probably somewhere in the $500-600M region, box office of $343.3M thus far... Dunno about bad, but it definitely isn't looking good. Disney has plenty of other projects that produce profitable movies and also move a ton of toys.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

@Li3n

@Li3n

So, how do you think they'll kill him off?

PatrThom

PatrThom

Old age?

--Patrick

evilmike

evilmike

Eaten by a space slug after Batman steals his hyperdrive?

@Li3n

@Li3n

Old age?

--Patrick
Not the Disney SW i know...

bhamv3

bhamv3

A heroic last stand against a resurrected Snoke.

They're back on Mustafar. Somehow. For some reason. Snoke is ominously approaching through the smoke from the lava. He's grown a third arm, and he's holding three glowing red lightsabers. In each hand. So he's got nine in total. Kylo Ren, who's now totally a good guy, and Rose, and her clones Lily, Daisy, and Magnolia, take up lightsabers of their own and attack. They fight. Snoke wins, easily. Both of Kylo's hands are cut off. He falls to his knees. Suddenly, a caped figure swoops down from the sky.

"Batman?" Kylo asks, in confusion.

"Close... Two-Face, sort of." Lando replies with a grin. He picks up Kylo's lightsaber and ignites it. There's a dramatic shot of him standing there with the glowing blade and his cloak billowing in the wind, illuminated by the lava. "Don't worry, kid. I got this." He swings the lightsaber at Snoke. Snoke easily parries it and then decapitates him with one blow.

Billy Dee Williams is paid fifty million dollars for his twelve second cameo. The fans unanimously agree it was worth it.

AshburnerX

AshburnerX

I'm betting part of the reason they want Billy Dee Williams is because Carrie Fisher died and they don't have any other "famous" folks to act as leaders in the Rebellion aside from Lando and Chewie. I wouldn't be surprised if he has a major part.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

@drifter In the past year and a half, Scarlett Johanson has been cast in roles of a Japanese woman and a transgender man, so now there's a joke/meme of her getting cast in roles she's not suited for, such as Lando.

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

@drifter In the past year and a half, Scarlett Johanson has been cast in roles of a Japanese woman and a transgender man, so now there's a joke/meme of her getting cast in roles she's not suited for, such as Lando.
I'm more forgiving of ghost in the Shell because she was not meant to look Japanese. She was an Android body, and if you're making an Android body, why wouldn't you make it look like Scarlett Johansson?

I'm less forgiving that it was a bad movie.

Hailey Knight

Hailey Knight

I'm more forgiving of ghost in the Shell because she was not meant to look Japanese. She was an Android body, and if you're making an Android body, why wouldn't you make it look like Scarlett Johansson?

I'm less forgiving that it was a bad movie.
I think that excuse in the movie was lampshading, but people probably would've eventually forgiven it if the movie had been any good. I think her dismissive attitude is what's earned her being mocked about this stuff lately, such as posts about how when they do a documentary about the Thailand Cave boys, she will play all 12 of them a la Eddie Murphy in The Nutty Professor.

GasBandit

GasBandit

Bah, I said it before and I'll say it again, the source material (especially GITS:SAC, arguably the best and most popular iteration) had Motoko looking closer to ScarJo than any Asian actress in existence.

@Li3n

@Li3n

Bah, I said it before and I'll say it again, the source material (especially GITS:SAC, arguably the best and most popular iteration) had Motoko looking closer to ScarJo than any Asian actress in existence.
So... like most anime characters then?

GasBandit

GasBandit

So... like most anime characters then?
You ain't wrong.

@Li3n

@Li3n

figmentPez

figmentPez

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

Maybe he'll play a male Princes Leia... /s