Star Wars Ep. VII has a name...

Probably known already, but it has been announced that a new trailer will be shown during Monday Night Football tomorrow (10\19)

And will probably be uploaded to the internet at about the same time.

Huh... looks like JJ's really taking it in a really different direction from the EU. The EU made the reasonable assumption that the Force, the Jedi, the Sith etc would continue their rise into much greater prominence in the galaxy. The trailer is suggesting that the Jedi and the Force are seen as a myth.

Interesting.

Huh... looks like JJ's really taking it in a really different direction from the EU. The EU made the reasonable assumption that the Force, the Jedi, the Sith etc would continue their rise into much greater prominence in the galaxy. The trailer is suggesting that the Jedi and the Force are seen as a myth.

Interesting.
Got more of a vibe of the Empire managing to cover up the Rebellion and hide what happened with the Death Stars, Vader and The Emperor.

Interesting.
This isn't all the surprising: a lot of people died on the core worlds were Jedi were common place and that was, what, 40-50 years ago? So if Luke didn't start the Academy like he did in the EU, we're talking entire generations of people who've NEVER seen a Jedi or Sith. And really, the idea of Luke starting a Jedi Academy always seemed... odd to me. The Force may have saved him and reconnected him with his sister, but it also almost consumed him in hate and lead to the death of his father. If anything, Luke should have had reservations about unleashing it onto the galaxy again. The idea that there haven't been any since Luke seems pretty realistic to me.

That's not even getting into the government suppression probably going on. The Jedi were perfectly willing to strong arm entire planetary governments to get their way and just one or two could bring down an entire planet or stop and entire army. That kind of power is useful in the right hands but when you are a government, the only right hands are "mine".

It seems like they're continuing the idea from the original Star Wars that a lot of people just considered it a religion and not like there was any mystical power really involved. So it would make sense that some would be skeptical.

If this movie turns out to suck, it's gonna hurt.

It really looks like they're continuing pretty much everything from the OT. Evil Empire, Good Rebels, past events and the Jedi shrouded in mystery. They're even doing it visually with another desert planet (though it's not Tatooine from what I've heard) and very similar looking TIE fighters and X-wings. Right now the one real wildcard is that the evil force user, Kylo Ren, seems to not have the same role as Vader in the OT. That said, with how they're banking on nostalgia for the OT rather than the prequels, I can't say I blame them. It's not in their best interests to show any differences in the promotional material rather than pulling people in with the familiar, and even if the movie is very similar in broad strokes to the OT, they can still distinguish it in the details.

It really looks like they're continuing pretty much everything from the OT. Evil Empire, Good Rebels, past events and the Jedi shrouded in mystery. They're even doing it visually with another desert planet (though it's not Tatooine from what I've heard) and very similar looking TIE fighters and X-wings. Right now the one real wildcard is that the evil force user, Kylo Ren, seems to not have the same role as Vader in the OT. That said, with how they're banking on nostalgia for the OT rather than the prequels, I can't say I blame them. It's not in their best interests to show any differences in the promotional material rather than pulling people in with the familiar, and even if the movie is very similar in broad strokes to the OT, they can still distinguish it in the details.
I think it's more that they want people to know that this new series of films will be more like the originals than the second trilogy. That's an important one to make, I feel.

I'm having so much fun watching other people react to the trailer for the first time, especially people around my age! It's like they're five years old again and it's Christmas morning!

And there I thought the money shot of the Falcon in the first teaser had me drawn in.
Then I calmed down and the first appearance of Han and Chewie hit me.

Now I held my breath for the length of the whole new trailer, and I had tears in my eyes at the end. SO IN!

Last edited:
That music in the trailer; those were some touching versions of familiar themes. I'm glad John Williams is back. He hasn't been composing much these days and I was starting to worry about him.

So very, very in. Gotta get babysitting set up ASAP. And it'll probably have to be my mother-in-law, because if I know my mom, she already bought her tickets.

So.

Uhm.

Do I dare say what I think might be in the back of everyone's mind?

Luke's gonna get killed off in this film?

Nope, I camped out for a week for tickets to Episode 1, Star Wars will have to try a lot harder to get me to fall on the hype train again. I'll see it mind you, but I refuse to get hyped.

So.

Uhm.

Do I dare say what I think might be in the back of everyone's mind?

Luke's gonna get killed off in this film?
Nah, he's probably already dead, but will appear as holograms for instruction.

Personally I'd much prefer it if he turned. He was never really trained, and, like Anakin, was taken on a journey at the direct instruction of other older force users and thereby caught in a track and a path of action that couldn't be avoided - one that saw him the harbinger of his father's death. He got adventure, but at what cost? At minimum he should be pretty jaded about the force and jedi, but it would be quite interesting if instead he began to see the humanity in his father as Darth Vader, and started to waffle on whether there's really a good side in the force. Maybe he trains the next sith, thinking that perhaps he can reform the empire into a better entity. Sure, Palpatine was a bad guy, but the Jedi were partly to blame for the way Palpatine was able to trap Anakin.

Alternately, he helped destroy the empire, things broke apart and became unmanageable, and he found that it had really bad results, which he had no power to control or effect - finding himself caught in political intrigue and machinations he had no mind or desire for, and thus left adrift watching the consequences of his actions from afar.

Regardless, I want to see Luke turn, Obi-wan again shown to be a lousy jedi teacher, and someone from Luke's family coming after him, like he did for his father. :D

But this is all wild conjecture, I'm avoiding supposedly "real" spoilers.

Nah, he's probably already dead, but will appear as holograms for instruction.

Personally I'd much prefer it if he turned. He was never really trained, and, like Anakin, was taken on a journey at the direct instruction of other older force users and thereby caught in a track and a path of action that couldn't be avoided - one that saw him the harbinger of his father's death. He got adventure, but at what cost? At minimum he should be pretty jaded about the force and jedi, but it would be quite interesting if instead he began to see the humanity in his father as Darth Vader, and started to waffle on whether there's really a good side in the force. Maybe he trains the next sith, thinking that perhaps he can reform the empire into a better entity. Sure, Palpatine was a bad guy, but the Jedi were partly to blame for the way Palpatine was able to trap Anakin.

Alternately, he helped destroy the empire, things broke apart and became unmanageable, and he found that it had really bad results, which he had no power to control or effect - finding himself caught in political intrigue and machinations he had no mind or desire for, and thus left adrift watching the consequences of his actions from afar.

Regardless, I want to see Luke turn, Obi-wan again shown to be a lousy jedi teacher, and someone from Luke's family coming after him, like he did for his father. :D

But this is all wild conjecture, I'm avoiding supposedly "real" spoilers.
There's actually some speculation around this already. Some are speculating...

...that he's actually the villain of the film in some way, shape, or form. Some even think he might be the new Darth Vader-like dude in the poster and trailers.

...that he's actually the villain of the film in some way, shape, or form. Some even think he might be the new Darth Vader-like dude in the poster and trailers.
This was my thought as well.
Glad I wasn't the only one that thought of it.

--Patrick

That's my thought, Luke is Kylo Ren. He's the only one that makes sense to have Vader's burned helmet.

Also, I have the feeling that the Empire has done lots of propaganda to "cover up" the Rebellion ever happening, possibly even that there used to be tons of Force users running around.

Maybe...

Ren is actually finn's father! You can see where Ren pulls off his mask when he faces Finn in the lightsaber duel. It'll be just like the original trilogy!
:troll: