Space stuff (NASA, UKSA, CSA, ESA, etc)

Koch, Meir begin first all-female spacewalk

Astronauts Christina Koch and Jessica Meir, soaring 260 miles above a wave of public interest, floated outside the International Space Station Friday for history’s first all-female spacewalk.

Floating in the Quest airlock, Koch, making her fourth spacewalk, and Meir, making her first, switched their spacesuits to battery power at 7:38 a.m. EDT to officially kick off a planned five-and-a-half-hour outing. It’s the 221st spacewalk since International Space Station assembly began in 1998.

It’s also the first spacewalk in 54 years to be carried out by two women, a milestone that triggered widespread interest around the world. (Spaceflight Now)

TIL the USSR had contingency plans to land a Soyuz capsule in North America as far back as 1975.

After setting a record for the longest single spaceflight in history by a woman, NASA astronaut Christina Koch returned to Earth Thursday, along with Soyuz Commander Alexander Skvortsov of the Russian space agency Roscosmos and Luca Parmitano of ESA (European Space Agency). (NASA)

Launch tonight from the Cape. I got a good look at it, but didn't have too much luck with the camera tonight.

30 Years ago, Voyager 1 took "The Pale Blue Dot" picture of Earth at a distance of 40 AU. In honor of the anniversary, JPL has reprocessed the original data with modern image enhancement techniques (Gizmodo):

Dave

Staff member
Guy on Twitter rates the Saturn emoji on different platforms. Very interesting post.

Dave

Staff member
I'll work on this today. I have a bit of time. But when the board slows way down and starts throwing me errors, please be patient.

SpaceX Starlink launch attempt aborted just prior to liftoff. Not going to space today.

NASA has assigned astronaut Shannon Walker to the first operational crewed flight of the SpaceX Crew Dragon spacecraft on a mission to the International Space Station.

Walker will join NASA astronauts Michael Hopkins and Victor Glover Jr., as well as Soichi Noguchi of the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA), for a six-month expedition aboard the unique space laboratory.

This mission will be the first in a series of regular, rotational flights to the station following NASA’s certification of the new crewed system following completion and validation of SpaceX’s test flight with astronauts, known as Demo-2. This test is expected to take place in mid-to-late May as part of NASA’s Commercial Crew Program.

Pending the successful Demo-2 test, Walker, Glover, Hopkins, and Noguchi will launch aboard Crew Dragon on SpaceX’s Falcon 9 rocket from Launch Pad 39A at NASA’s Kennedy Space Center in Florida. That launch is targeted for later this year. (NASA)