Space stuff (NASA, UKSA, CSA, ESA, etc)

Two pieces of news which are interesting IMO.

One: SpaceX Rocket Engine Suffers Failure During Test
An explosion occurred during a test of a SpaceX Merlin engine on Saturday (Nov. 4) at the company's test facility in McGregor, Texas, according to a statement obtained by Space.com.

"No one was injured and all safety protocols were followed during the time of this incident," according to the statement. "We are now conducting a thorough and fully transparent investigation of the root cause."

The explosion occurred during a test of a "Block 5" Merlin engine, which will be used in a future generation of the company's Falcon 9 rockets, a source told Space.com. Falcon 9 rockets that are currently in operation utilize the "Block 4" Merlin engine, so the incident will not require the company to halt any of its scheduled launches.
Other sources weren't as good at highlighting how this wasn't a "current-generation" engine.

Two: Bizarre 3-Year-Long Supernova Defies Our Understanding of How Stars Die

Too much to quote there, but supernovas usually only last about 3 months of being really bright. This graph from the article shows it:

I'm more excited about this. I always like the idea of "that's funny?" in scientific results, and for this one they have 3 years (almost) of data to look at. That means there's something more to learn, which is great IMO. And good on the grad student in the story, as they now have a great topic for a PhD that isn't just an "incremental" improvement on something in their advisor's field, but something potentially new. Neat stuff.

It'll probably be delayed yet again, but if their current schedule holds, SpaceX will static test the Falcon Heavy - the world's most powerful rocket by a factor of two - December 15th. If that goes well they may be launching an unknown (but huge) payload into orbit this year. It can handle a payload as large as 117,000 pounds (53,000kg) to orbit.

This is three Falcon 9 rockets, a total of 27 Merlin engines, strapped together producing 5 million pounds of lift at liftoff. The three falcon nine rockets will separate and individually return to earth, two to landing pads on the ground, one to a drone ship in the ocean.

https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2017/11/spacex-aims-december-launch-falcon-heavy/
Neat. I hadn't realized that they had got a second landing pad set up at LZ-1 already.

For those that haven't seen it, here is the animation showing SpaceX's eventual plan for the Falcon Heavy landing sequence when they have another landing pad available.

SpaceX is targeting launch of the Zuma spacecraft from Launch Complex 39A (LC-39A) at NASA’s Kennedy Space Center, Florida. The two-hour primary launch window opens at 8:00 p.m. EST on Thursday, November 16, or 1:00 UTC on Friday, November 17. A backup two-hour launch window opens at 8:00 p.m. EST on Friday, November 17, or 1:00 UTC on Saturday, November 18. Following stage separation, Falcon 9’s first stage will attempt to land at SpaceX’s Landing Zone 1 (LZ-1) at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Florida.
[DOUBLEPOST=1510785072,1510784971][/DOUBLEPOST]Still no date for the Falcon 9 Heavy launch. Last delay said December.

Late 2017Falcon Heavy • Demo Flight
Launch window: TBD
Launch site: LC-39A, Kennedy Space Center, Florida
A SpaceX Falcon Heavy rocket will launch on its first demonstration flight. The heavy-lift rocket is formed of three Falcon 9 rocket cores strapped together with 27 Merlin 1D engines firing at liftoff. Delayed from 3rd Quarter of 2015 and April, September and December 2016. Delayed from 1st Quarter 2017, 2nd Quarter 2017 and 3rd Quarter 2017. Delayed from November 2017. [Oct. 10]

https://techcrunch.com/2017/12/01/elon-musk-is-putting-his-personal-tesla-into-mars-orbit/

Musk claims he'll test launch the Falcon Heavy before the end of this month, and its payload will be his tesla roadstar, playing space oddity, to be inserted into Mars orbit - assuming, as he implies, the falcon heavy doesn't blow up on ascent. He does indicate that no matter what, the launch will be spectacular - and I have no doubt that's true.

They still haven't done a static engine test, but once that's done it should be mere weeks until the first falcon heavy launch.

Tomorrow (Wednesday December 13) Spacex is launching CRS-13.

This mission marks the first time SpaceX is flying both a flight-proven Falcon 9 and a flight-proven Dragon spacecraft. Falcon 9’s first stage previously supported the CRS-11 mission in June 2017 and the Dragon spacecraft previously supported the CRS-6 mission in April 2015.

Another write-up I read mentioned how 2/3 of the boosters on that thing are "flight-tested". So actually even if this blows up, it won't "cost" them much, as a good amount of it is "paid for" already. At least that's one way of looking at it.

Now I want the reverse view. I think the stuff holding it up on the "back" would be interesting to see too!
There's not that much to see. You can get a little taste from a front/side angle here:

http://www.al.com/news/huntsville/index.ssf/2018/01/spacex_plans_to_make_january_m.html

A triangular base with a tall post.

According to this, the Transporter/Erector/Launcher (TEL) is just a modified version of the one they're already using for the Falcon 9 launches. It has some closer images of that TEL:

https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2017/11/spacex-aims-december-launch-falcon-heavy/

If you do a google image search for "Falcon heavy tel" you'll get a lot of pictures of the Falcon 9 TEL, and a few for the Heavy.

Here's a closeup of the base:

https://i.redd.it/4x2xw7bemqwy.jpg

Then Saturday is the currently scheduled Falcon Heavy static fire test. Assuming the fit check continues to go well, we might see this thing spit fire!

http://www.al.com/news/huntsville/index.ssf/2018/01/spacex_plans_to_make_january_m.html
From that link:
SpaceX has set Jan. 15 to open the launch window, but that window could remain open for days before launch, so booking a flight to Florida for a closeup view is a gamble. In part, that's because the launch also depends on a successful static fire test of the Falcon Heavy on the pad. That test fire is now planned Saturday.

The launch could also slip because SpaceX has a satellite to launch first that has already been delayed once. The launch of the Zuma satellite is now set for Friady, only one day before the tentative Falcon Heavy static firing.
So, one is somewhat dependent on the other. Probably due to using the launch pad, or at the least not wanting to juggle TOO much at the same time.

And thanks for your other links on the TEL. Appreciate it.

No! If they do that, the world will know it's just a giant cardboard cut-out!

#spacehoaxcoasttocoast

--Patrick
Are you referencing something real? I really don't want to google that hashtag and find out that it is. I think I'll be happier not knowing.

If just a simple joke, great. The problem is, it might be real...

Are you referencing something real?
Yes. The subgroup of the population who thinks the Moon landings and such were faked, and also an animated comedy series by Adult Swim. This is funny because it's a fake show that lampoons a real show that was set in outer space and was popular around the time of the (alleged) Moon landings, and also because it intimates that these space deniers are spread across the entire country.

--Patrick

Are you referencing something real? I really don't want to google that hashtag and find out that it is. I think I'll be happier not knowing.

If just a simple joke, great. The problem is, it might be real...
For the same reasons some people believe the moon landings are fake, the earth is flat, jets spew mind control agent into the air, and 9/11 was an inside job, there are those who believe spacex is a fake company.

Elon Musk, for example, indicated that the early Falcon 9 launches were done at night so the CGI was easier. We can only assume he's doing them during the day now because they've advanced their ability to fake the launches.

Also PROOF:

The line! It proves the whole thing is a fake. Sadly now that he's proved SpaceX is a fraud he hasn't covered them, and has moved on to more important videos.

My friend made an awful lot of money to fake his job then. He even complained about the ridiculous hours just to keep the charade going. :awesome:

I have relatives who were literally in mission control in Houston or Langley Research Center for NASA during the moon landings. I am not at all amused by those who think it's a hoax.
If I can't laugh at idiots, then I just become depressed by them.

I have relatives who were literally in mission control in Houston or Langley Research Center for NASA during the moon landings. I am not at all amused by those who think it's a hoax.
Does this more amuse, or upset your relatives that it was necessary?

GasBandit

Staff member
Does this more amuse, or upset your relatives that it was necessary?
Aww, I was hoping it would have the song.

But yeah, you don't call a guy like a Buzz Aldrin a coward and a liar to his face and not expect to pick a few teeth off the ground.