Space stuff (NASA, UKSA, CSA, ESA, etc)

That camera was, what, 10 miles away?
~12 seconds between flash and report, so ~2.5 miles, unless the audio/visual are not synchronized.
I assume they are, since you can hear someone nearby the camera gasp right when the first explosion happens.

--Patrick

Someone did a synced version (well, off by only a handful of milliseconds):

If that's really 2mi away, that is LOUD.

--Patrick

Last edited:
The JUNO mission recorded the radio emissions being given off by Jupiter's auroras and then downshifted the signals into the audio range.

The result sounded oddly familiar...

fade

Staff member
The JUNO mission recorded the radio emissions being given off by Jupiter's auroras and then downshifted the signals into the audio range.

The result sounded oddly familiar...

It's interesting the way they're parabolic in the frequency domain. It's very regular.

Yesterday, NASA sucesfully launched the OSIRIS-REx probe on an Atlas V rocket. It's mission is to survey a nearby asteroid, obtain a sample, and return that sample to Earth. (Wikipedia)

atlas launch 2016-09-08-02.jpg

The rocket was configuration was a bit unusual -- it only had a single rocket booster. Here is a shot of the booster separating from the rocket:

Last edited:
I thought she was a canon user?
I am! I am considering investing in a small Sony mirorless system for camping/backpacking. It's also pretty decent in low light and small enough to use my tiny tripod.

I'm totally being optimistic here that I will be able to hike next spring.

I am! I am considering investing in a small Sony mirorless system for camping/backpacking. It's also pretty decent in low light and small enough to use my tiny tripod.

I'm totally being optimistic here that I will be able to hike next spring.
I've heard a lot of good things about Sony mirrorless cameras. Here's looking forward to your hiking pictures next summer!

There is one thing I don't understand about this idea. If you look at the opposite side of the assembly, there is a fan attached to the camera body. Wouldn't this source of vibration be counter productive?
People like cheap fans, and cheap fans vibrate, so you may have never come across a fan that doesn't vibrate. However, precision manufactured fans on precision sleeve bearings with precision balanced fan blades can exhibit low to no vibration. Put them on vibration damping mounts and even if the fan develops vibration (usually from dust adhering to the blades) then it's reduced.

Further, the fan probably runs at very low RPM, so any vibration, especially on such a small low mass fan, would be very low magnitude. Being an enthusiast camera, I'd expect there to be some instructions for periodically cleaning the fan and heatsink.

GasBandit

Staff member
EM Drive is now officially a thing that works.

After months of speculation and leaked documents, NASA's long-awaited EM Drive paper has finally been peer-reviewed and published. And it shows that the "impossible" propulsion system really does appear to work.

In case you've missed the hype, the EM Drive, or Electromagnetic Drive, is a propulsion system first proposed by British inventor Roger Shawyer back in 1999. But, there's a not-small problem with the system. It defies Newton's third law, which states that everything must have an equal and opposite reaction.

The experimenting team does offer a hypothesis: "[The] supporting physics model used to derive a force based on operating conditions in the test article can be categorised as a nonlocal hidden-variable theory, or pilot-wave theory for short."

Pilot wave (aka de Broglie–Bohm) theories have recently gained some experimental support with rather complex optical setups related to the famous double slit experiment.

The next step for the EM Drive is for it to be tested in space, which is scheduled to happen in the coming months, with plans to launch the first EM Drive having been made back in September.

http://www.sciencealert.com/it-s-of...wed-em-drive-paper-has-finally-been-published

http://arc.aiaa.org/doi/10.2514/1.B36120

Meanwhile, on the ISS...

SpaceX has a launch scheduled next week. It will be the first launch from Florida after last year's rocket failure. It will also be the first launch from the newly refurbished LC-39A at the Kennedy Space Center. This will be the first launch from KSC in 5 years. (The other launches in the area occur at the Cape Canaveral Air Force Station.) (Gizmodo)

Hopefully, the National Park Service will not limit access to the Canaveral National Seashore during launch activities on LC-39A. The view would be spectacular as the launch pad is less than 3 miles from the south end of the beach.

I remember watching that in class when it happened. Of course, we kids didn't really fathom what had just occurred, but I remember a few teachers having to leave the room crying.