Seeking Tablet Info - RECOMMEND ME APPS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is still possible to brick it. As I said, if the root programing gets hosed (IE where the option to reset to factory defaults are) it will both brick the device and void your warranty. This is true of any tablet or phone. It's not like a computer where you can just reformat the drive.

ALSO, if you'd pay attention, this will most likely NEVER happen if you're in the least bit careful. Which I said.

I'm not attacking your choice of tablet, in fact I've heard great things about the nook. You seem to be trying really hard to sell a particular tablet, whereas some of us are trying to give strengths and weaknesses of the different types and brands.

Again, you're wrong. The root programming is done through a side-loaded memory card, it doesn't permantly affect the main tablet. If you even manage to "temp brick" it, all you do is put the memory card back in and "poof" fixed.

I'm selling this particular tablet because it's the best one for it's price range, not because it's a personal preference. Apple has nothing to compare to it under $300. Sorry, that's just a fact. Other tablets also do not have the same kind of "popularity" as the Nook Tablet which in turn means a much larger "root community" and much more support. So yeah, it's just facts.

Rewind a bit.
Ok.

Everyone talks about rooting. What does this exactly mean? Why do you do it? What advantages do you get? How do you do it? Its it difficult? Or do I need to pay some Asian guy?

Ignore rooting for now. Buy the device you choose and use it without worrying about what rooting is. Eventually you may find that the manufacturer made some choices for you that you don't like, and you may decide you want to overcome those limitaitons, and at that point you'll look into what rooting is and does for you, but for your initial usage and purchase you don't really have to concern yourself with it.

Also which one allows free Wifi to work?

They all allow free wifi. Every device will allow you to surf the internet out of the box on your wireless network, watch online videos, and do most internet related tasks.

What else can a Nook not do?

Eh. It's not a powerhouse gaming machine. Looks like it doesn't have cameras. Other than that it's a wash.

What is this shit about apps? Are you talking about necessary applications or dipshit stuff like, press this button to activate a gun making application so that when you shake your tablet it makes shooting noises? What exactly are we talking here?

An app is simply a program that does stuff for you. Yes, you can download an app that makes shooting or farting noises, if that's your thing. I'm currently using a relaxation melody generator for white noise (rain, ocean, wind chimes at the moment) and it's got the baby fast asleep. That is a single app. I also read and reference books/comics/manga/journals/datasheets/schematics/etc on it. That is also an app. I check my several email accounts. That's an app. I surf the intertubes. That's an app. I track all my devices (I know my wife made it safely to the conference center in cleveland without having to call her because she's got the ipad with her. When my son misplaces his ipod I can usually find it.) That's an app. I play words with friends with a few people from here, several people in my family, and a few friends via another app. I was streaming the local geek group's meeting online through Ustream using the ipad. That's an app.

An app is just a program that does something for you. Generally speaking when you run an app it takes the whole screen, and you focus on just that one app. When you want to do something else, you switch to another app. When you go back to the first one, you're usually right where you left off. Some apps run in the background as well - so the relax melody app I'm running can run while I read manga, check email, surf the blogosphere, or play words with friends.

Also, if I root it and I download shit off the web, can I get free apps?

Generally you won't have to root your device to load free apps off the internet. Generally there are free apps for anything you might be interested in doing in the app stores. They may be free, or ad supported, but you can do an amazing amount of stuff for no additional cost.

My price range is around $200, I'm not paying 700+ dollars for an iPad, I'd rather buy a small laptop.

I recommend the Kindle Fire. It fits in your price range, it's very usable out of the box, it's extraordinarily popular so if/when you do want to root it, upgrade it, etc you'll find a lot of people have walked that path and it's an easy road.

Is the Nook new? Is that why so many people don't mention it?

The Nook Tablet is new. Barnes and Noble has had nook ereaders for some time now, but this is the first one that could be used as more than a glorified ereader out of the box (ie, without hacking it much). People don't talk about it much because the kindle fire came out and stole its thunder. If the fire hadn't been introduced, then I suspect the nook would have been more well known, but without Amazon's marketing effort and work with major developers to get kindle specific apps into their store the nook never would have made a huge splash even without the kindle stealing its thunder.

It's a reasonable competitor to the Kindle Fire in every respect, except it's not amazon, and it does not have the marketing juggernaut amazon brought to bear when it introduced the fire.

What the fuck is Android? Seems like everything is "Androids". What is this? Some type of OS... which is largely regarded like Vista. Limited as fuck. Badly done?

Android is an operating system owned and developed by Google. If it were a human, you could say that for phones and PDAs, it's gotten past the gangly, pimply teenage years and is a freshman in college. For tablets it's still going through puberty.

Apple's tablet/phone operating system is called iOS. It's perhaps a college senior who's a player - it's got a bright future, but there's still room for an upstart super genius freshman to move in. It's polished and slick, and if you manage to look past the fact that all it's trying to do is bed you, you can expect a lot from it.

Windows has revamped their mobile device OS. Again. And it's polished and very usable on the phone and PDA, but it's not a tablet OS, so doesn't even meet your needs yet.

The general consensus I've read is, fork over 7 twinkies for a good tablet the size of a watermelon to carry with you everywhere or "good luck with the other shit that are all warped deformed children of the overlord".

You will be very happy with the kindle fire. You'll probably be happy with the nook. As a tablet beginner I would not suggest going dirt cheap (find a $69 andoird tablet on woot? Skip it!), but you don't need the iPad. You'll be very happy with the kindle or nook, and after a year or so when other tablets mature a little more you might make a different choice, but by then you'll probably be hooked.

The problem with android is a problem of poor manufacturer support. Amazon is going to support the kindle fire very, very well, so you should not have a problem with it. Barnes and Noble should provide good support as well. They have to if they want to keep selling you content, which is their main source of income.

You won't be disappointed with them.

Again, you are wrong. 16GB nooks have been bricked. AS I SAID MULTIPLE TIMES, this will not happen if you're the slightest bit careful, but it is possible.

Comparing that with Apple, who will often charge absurd prices for apps that should have been included in the first place (like iMovie or iWork, the latter coming in at, I believe, $30)
To clarify: iWork is a suite of 3 apps, which each cost $10. So if you buy them all, yes it will be $30.

I learned more about tablets in the 30min researching for this thread than I did in my entire previous life experience browsing tech sites (while not specifically looking for tablet info, that is). Steinman's post above is quite informative, and I believe he has made a genuine attempt to explain the tabletspace.

What I would question is your reason for getting a tablet. That is, if you are looking to get a tablet just because people around you keep saying how cool tablets are, then you probably don't actually need one. If the only things you want to do with it are to surf the web while you're on the Crapper, or to play Temple Run or Angry Birds: Space, then just get an iPod Touch, which can do all that and fit in your pocket comfortably. Seriously, if you can't sit down right now and draw up a list of the specific reasons why you need a "tablet" instead of an ultrabook/netbook, then you should probably either just get the iPod or save until you can afford the ultra-/netbook. Otherwise you are very likely setting yourself up for disappointment.

Every tablet manufacturer has designed their tablet in such a way as to not play nice with the other tablet people. The only "exception" to this I know of is that the iPad has the ability to install Kindle/Nook apps to allow you to use the Amazon/B&N eBook formats, and the only reason these apps likely exist is because Amazon and B&N realized early that the iPad juggernaut would crush them if they didn't make some way for people to read their stuff on an iPad. And this isn't bias/favoritism on my part...Apple jumped into the tablet race and made a lot of headway before everyone else started taking tablets seriously, so they have a pretty big head start.

Again, all of the above is moot if you work to circumvent the respective flavors of vendor lock-in, but I strongly concur with Steinman: Choose your tablet based on what you can do with it out of the box, but also pay some serious mind to the hardware specs, because if you do decide to later remove the blinders/training wheels/mittens, those specs will have significantly more influence on what you can/can't/shouldn't* do.

--Patrick
*For instance, just because the safeties are off and you can now turn the wifi power up to 2x normal for double range doesn't mean you should do so, since that much microwave radiation will probably burn/discolor your screen or damage the other internals. Some limits really are there for a reason.

You can "brick" anything electronic, given the right circumstance, misuse and/or possible exposure to a high-density magnetic field.

The playbook: the only reason you would consider buying this is for patriotism.
I own a playbook and have used an ipad frequently, and the playbook is a very good tablet for it's price. My son has thrown it on the ground and jumped on it! Still works fine. It is a rugged little machine that is just the right size for carrying around with you. Apps are bathtub gin poor but I don't worry about sharing it with kids.

You can "brick" anything electronic, given the right circumstance, misuse and/or possible exposure to a high-density magnetic field.
OK, find, the 16GB Nooks have been bricked by attempts to root them... happy?

Obviously people are more interested in some sort of my tablet is better than your tablet penis measuring contest, rather than actually looking at the available hardware, so I'm officially through with this conversation.

OK, find, the 16GB Nooks have been bricked by attempts to root them... happy?

Obviously people are more interested in some sort of my tablet is better than your tablet penis measuring contest, rather than actually looking at the available hardware, so I'm officially through with this conversation.
Good to hear because you have no idea what you're talking about. I already said the worst you can do, while rooting it, is temporary brick it which is instantly resetable. The Nook 16gb is not "permantely ruinable" through rooting. I'm sorry you can't understand that.

As for the rest of this thread, yeah it's alot to take in Jay but in the end, all you have to do is ask yourself these two questions:

How much do I want to spend?
What do I want to do with a tablet?

If the answer to the first question is: Everything but take pictures/video chat for less than $400. Then your options are Kindle Fire and Nook 16gb. They're really the best due to their large popularity and they do really good work for their owners. However, as stated, for $50 more you get twice the power in the Nook than you would with the Kindle Fire.

Both are easily rootable, so the "market restrictions" don't matter. As for someone saying "Just use it out of the box" then you're just denying what you really could have. It'd be like buying Skyrim for PC and being told you could only choose between a mage class or a thief class. Yet to spend 5 minutes modding the game, you could have both. Which would you do?

Necronic

Staff member
For the price range you are talking about the fight is between the Nook and the Kindle. Or possibly last-gen tablets (I think the old transformer goes for like 250.) The main reason I focused on iPads was simply to give that perspective, but for your price point it simply is not a good buy.

True dat. Even a cordless phone can be bricked by a power surge if it's on the charger when it happens.
Honestly, all I saw was some dickering over semantics, not the dicking over of any specific vendor(s).

--Patrick

Let's talk iPads, which one should I get?

(looks like I may get one free from work - I crit rolled my diplomacy skill)

Let's talk iPads, which one should I get?

(looks like I may get one free from work - I crit rolled my diplomacy skill)
Get a 4G model, because even if you don't pay for service you still get the GPS, and you can turn on service (and on verizon use it as a wifi hotspot for other devices) on a monthly basis with no contract or termination fees. The wifi-only models don't have a real GPS, so mapping apps are useless unless you happen to be near open wifi hotspots that are geolocated. You could save $100 with an iPad 2, rather than an iPad 3, but I'd say the 4G connectivity, better cameras, faster processor, and more RAM (RAM is not listed on Apple's site, but there's 2x the ram in the new ipad as there is in the ipad 2, and it really helps in speed and app switching) are worth the $100. Oh, and the ability to use "find my ipad" if you lose it (or it gets stolen) or to wipe it remotely is much better with a 4G than a wifi model. I don't know if it works without the monthly service though...

Beyond that, I no longer recommend getting anything above 16GB. I can't stomach paying another $100 just to get another 16GB, or $200 to get an additional 48GB. If you need the space, then you have to spend more it since you can't add memory via SD card or anything, but if you just want to watch movies on the road you can get wifi hard drives that hold tons more for $100 or so. I keep about 10GB for apps (most apps are a few dozen megabytes, high end games are a few hundred megabytes, and some extraordinary games or GPS mapping apps are over a GB) and have the other 6GB for music, videos, and for recording videos/photos. I think it's enough for most users, especially if you simply use streaming from netflix or a similar service rather than depending on the onboard storage.

On the other hand my first iPad has 64GB and 3G for streaming, and I still managed to fill it up with stuff that I would use, so more space isn't bad, I just can't justify the fee apple is charging.

Save the extra money for a case, a digital (HDMI) adapter and a VGA adapter so you can display stuff on larger screens, a bluetooth keyboard if you want to use it to type long missives, and a little money for those apps that are worth paying for. I've never used a dock with it, but some people like being able to set the ipad upright on their desk/nightstand for charging.

Apple also now sells applecare for ipad for $99 which extends the warranty and provides accident coverage (up to twice for the whole term, and with a $50 fee per incident) so if you drop it and it breaks, dunk it in water, run over it, etc then you aren't out $$$, just $. I haven't yet dropped my new ipad on concrete, but the iPad gen 1 could take a significant beating without breaking. However I bought the applecare anyway, because, you know, kids.

Browse around the apple online store and check out all the options and accessories, then come back and ask questions. http://store.apple.com

Crit feature differences are as follows:
iPad 2 - Lower price, slightly longer runtime (+20-30min at best), less prone to temperature issues, slimmest/lightest.
iPad 3 - Significantly better camera, 2x RAM, 4x pixel density. LTE (4G) optional.
Single biggest reason to spring for the 3rd one would probably be for its larger RAM.
At this time, I do not recommend purchasing a 1st gen iPad (used or otherwise) unless you specifically need a model that does NOT have a camera.

--Patrick

This is gonna sound dumb, but I kinda would like to know: can you get an iPad without having a Verizon/AT&T account? IOW, an iPad without the cell phone capability?

If not, I think my answer to all this is probably going to be an iPod Touch.

This is gonna sound dumb, but I kinda would like to know: can you get an iPad without having a Verizon/AT&T account? IOW, an iPad without the cell phone capability?

If not, I think my answer to all this is probably going to be an iPod Touch.
No provider is needed. Some models don't even have g3 or g4 capabilities (it knocks about 100.00 off the price). But no matter what model you get, you are never required to use any sort of connection.

This is gonna sound dumb, but I kinda would like to know: can you get an iPad without having a Verizon/AT&T account? IOW, an iPad without the cell phone capability?.
Yes. When you buy one you have the choice of wifi only, or wifi and cellular together. If you buy the wifi and cellular together, you have your choice of AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint.

The wifi only model is $130 cheaper than the cellular and wifi model.

If you buy the cellular model you don't have to have a cellular account. If you want to activate the cellular modem, you put your credit card number into the ipad, and buy one month at a time. No contracts, no fees. It auto-renews each month, so when you want to stop paying, you go back into settings and turn the service off.

The one advantage to having the cellular model even if you never intend to use it is to get a real GPS. The wifi only model does not have GPS, it uses wifi positioning, which is ok for some things, but not good for navigation. And, of course, if you find yourself needing the internet badly with no wifi around then you can buy a month's worth of access on the spot.

Yes. When you buy one you have the choice of wifi only, or wifi and cellular together. If you buy the wifi and cellular together, you have your choice of AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint.
Just to elaborate on this. Even though you don't need to have an account or make one when you purchase, you still have to pick a carrier for technical reasons. Both AT&T and Verizon implement their LTE (and 3G) network(s) on different bands of spectrum and different standards of implementation. This requires Apple to use different radios and chip sets for each. Which is why you need to pick the carrier at purchase.

Currently Verizon is the only one providing tethering with the new iPad at no additional cost. So with a single click your iPad will become a wi-fi hotspot that you can connect your computer to. Verizon also has a much larger LTE network in the United States. Price wise AT&T and Verizon charge the same amounts for the same amount of data (rant for another time), but unless you just can't get any Verizon signal (really?) I can't think why you would want to go with an AT&T iPad.

I decided, since I have a wi-fi hotspot and didn't want to have to trek two-three hours away to the nearest Apple Store, to go with an iPod Touch 8 GB. Only purpose of it is probably going to be to do stuff my iPod 16 GB can't (since it's the older nano version).

I got an iPad 3 purely because I take plane trips across country 2 (sometimes more) times a month, and now those 6 hour flights in economy class are considerably less painful to live through when its the middle of the day and I can't fall asleep.

So yeah... bought the IPad 3 4G 64 GB this afternoon.

Playing a bit with it....

IT'S NOW TIME TO RECOMMEND APPS TO ME FOLKS.

You have all been super helpful.

Danke.

Productivity:

Goodreader- great for PDFs and allows full "sticky notes" and highlighting.

Dropbox- great cloud storage that you can also install on your computer to keep all the files synced.

NoteShelf- great note taking app. They always try to push Penultimate, but I thought that app was terrible. Works best with a stylus. you can pick them up for 10-15 bucks at best buy.

ArtStudio- pretty good art app, allows layers and has some pretty good pen/brush customization options.

CloudReader- if you use CBR files at all, this is great.

Games:

Zen Pinball- best pinball game I've played on any platform, but you do have to pay a buck for most tables.

Infinity Blade- it will look great with the retina display.

Aquaria- great metroidvania style game.

Sword and Sorcery EP- Great sound

Dead Space- EA runs specials every few months where you can get any game in their catalog for .99, when that comes around, I'd recommend picking this up.

Words with Friends - If you like scrabble, you'll love this game.

BattleHeart- There are no words for how much I love this game.

PuzzleQuest- You wouldn't think that bejeweled and RPGs would go so well together.

Beneath a Steel Sky or Broken Sword- scratches the old school point and click adventure game itch.

Final Fantasy 3- if you like JRPGs

Anomoly HD- great tower defense game, but in reverse.

• Kindle
  • Netflix (asuming you have Netflix)
  • Reeder - really great Google Reader (RSS feeds) app for iOS.
  • Downcast - great little podcast app, lets you play only audio for your video podcasts so you have that option. Lot's of other great podcasting features, clean interface, and a responsive dev.
  • Jot! - whiteboard app, free version has a small little banner ad, doesn't get in the way. Like a whiteboard it's not the most complex drawing app, but it gets the job done
  • Evernote - great notetaking app, stores everything on the cloud, so you can access your notes from a browser or any evernote program (iOS, Android, windows, mac)
  • Skype - video works well on the iPad

-Remote (handy!)
-iBooks
-Kindle
-Nook
-Trailers
-iTunesU
-Pandora
-Spotify
-Shazam
-Stitcher Radio
-A.S.P. (this will be fun for about a week, still fun to return to)
-GasBuddy
-Edmunds
-Flipboard
-Dropbox
-Speed Test
-RunPee
-Yelp
-AppsGoneFree
...all of the above are free!

And, if you have any interest at all in making music, also consider:
-Garageband
-ReBirth

Want to draw?
-Procreate
-SketchBook Pro

If you are looking for utility:
-Air Sharing
-Air Display

--Patrick

Gonna check those apps.

Quick question, how do I setup this thing to connect to a network computer? The fuck is airprint and no, the 5000$ printer we got got does not have this wireless feature. Why can't I see network printer like you know.... WINDOWS? I mean seriously Apple if I cannot even easily connect to a printer....

Yes there's a 10$ app that does this... but ffs, I'm not inclined to pay money to use printing ability.

Please to be clarifying your questions.
-To connect what to a network computer? Wifi? Syncing? Printing? Video? Sound? VNC? iTunes? Docs? Email? Facebook? What?
-Airprint is a new thing that lets you print from iOS to newer wireless printers.
-Why can't you see a network printer like, you know, WINDOWS? Cuz it's not WINDOWS. :Leyla:

Take a moment, take some deep breaths, then return to the problem when you have calmed down. Learning new things is not the proper time to be raging. When you are ready, then you will learn.

--Patrick

Gonna check those apps.

Quick question, how do I setup this thing to connect to a network computer? The fuck is airprint and no, the 5000$ printer we got got does not have this wireless feature. Why can't I see network printer like you know.... WINDOWS? I mean seriously Apple if I cannot even easily connect to a printer....

Yes there's a 10$ app that does this... but ffs, I'm not inclined to pay money to use printing ability.
I didn't pay anything and I can print from my non-airprint equipped printer.

I installed AirPrint installer on my PC.
Set up a Guest account on same PC.
Followed Guimon's instructions in this thread.

Might have to reboot inbetween installing AirPrint installer and running those tweaks, but it works here.

Status
Not open for further replies.