Secret Santa 2020 - Have a Very Covid Christmas

$5 on March
Ide don't think so!
I'll say January.
Doing my part to end 2020 as quickly as possible, I suppose.
That's so last month.
February!
Shorter than that, even!

ANYWAY...once I got motivated this morning, Cranky informed me, "Your package came! I left it on your chair."

00station.jpg

Yes, my battlestation is kinda cramped. Better pic(s?) of it will be coming to the station thread once I get around to it. Anyhoo, I was not expecting any package (especially not on a Sunday), and there's no return address, so I assume it's something from my SS2020. Off to the operating table for dissection!

01island.jpg

Or the kitchen island thingie, at least. Just FYI, it is annoyingly difficult to take pictures of a 3-D object when warm incandescent light hits it from one angle but cool daylight is coming from the other. Ok, time to pull the "pull strip to open" strip.

02noodle.jpg

AHAHAAHaa oh man. Whoever packed this does the same thing I do, where you load all the peel-off bits right into the package you're sending after you peel 'em off rather than letting them pile up. So efficient!

03gellin.jpg

Jell-O? Someone sent me a box of raspberry Jell-O? Then why did it come with something from Sʌmsung?

04reveal.jpg

Aha! It's not raspberry Jell-O after all, it's raspberry pie! Specifically a Raspberry Pi 4 (4GB, with accessories), which Wikipedia tells me is basically an open-source(-ish) iPhone 5s. And the card says...

05spread.jpg

...that it's from Santa @GasBandit ! Well now we're even, I suppose.

I gotta say that I... don't really know what to do with it. A year ago, I would've immediately turned it into a DNS adblocker for the house with Pi-hole, but since I went and built a full-scale pfSense router to handle that sort of thing, that's off the table. I could emulate a console I don't own, I suppose (which is most of them), or set something up to learn Python/Javascript/whatever. Who knows? The Internet is chock full of ideas, but they'll REALLY have my attention if one of 'em has plans for a time machine... since that would let me go back in time so I could be the FIRST person to post in the SS2020 thread!

...oh hey, it worked!

--Patrick

@blotsfan, your Secret Santa would like some gift ideas, please.
Bah I have 2 people IRL asking me the same. I'm the worst to buy gifts for.

Buffalo Bills stuff is always cool. Anything that could be on display, or even some kind of kitchen item that's Bills themed would be cool.

I like spicy food, any kind of unique hot sauce or chilis would be cool, as something to use on a lark. I don't have any food allergies, but anything that is shelf-stable and can be shipped would be fine, also along the food path I'd be open to any regional item that wouldn't be available where I live (though like I said in my notes, no liquor as I've learned I probably just won't like it).

If you're still having trouble, an 85-inch 4k tv would be nice as well (shoot your shot, right?).

A note to my SS: you don't have to buy anything outright on my Amazon wish list, but do take some of the items as ideas.

I'm also a sucker for dark chocolate.

Bah I have 2 people IRL asking me the same. I'm the worst to buy gifts for.

Buffalo Bills stuff is always cool. Anything that could be on display, or even some kind of kitchen item that's Bills themed would be cool.

I like spicy food, any kind of unique hot sauce or chilis would be cool, as something to use on a lark. I don't have any food allergies, but anything that is shelf-stable and can be shipped would be fine, also along the food path I'd be open to any regional item that wouldn't be available where I live (though like I said in my notes, no liquor as I've learned I probably just won't like it).

If you're still having trouble, an 85-inch 4k tv would be nice as well (shoot your shot, right?).
Thank you for this. Your Secret Santa wants you to know that you should expect gifts on December 3rd and again on December 6th-7th.

I don't think you're getting the TV. The doomweasels can't carry that much.

Actually, they'll steal it for their own use. What can I do? They're weasels.

Secret Santa did me a spook by getting my package delivered at almost 9pm in the evening. I was very suspicious of the poor package delivery woman, which she absolutely did not deserve, but the package was, indeed, addressed to me.

Thanks, Santa @Far !

Question, was it just the one? That's actually the 3rd book of 3 that were all set to arrive today.

And there is still another gift that won't arrive until the end of the month!

Hope you enjoy the series. It's a fun one.

EDIT: Upon checking, the other two are still on the way!

Last edited:
Question, was it just the one? That's actually the 3rd book of 3 that were all set to arrive today.

And there is still another gift that won't arrive until the end of the month!

Hope you enjoy the series. It's a fun one.

EDIT: Upon checking, the other two are still on the way!
That's correct, it was the only one. I'm working from home the rest of the week, though, so I'll be around when they show up.

Reactions: Far
@Wahad

There are currently 5 books in the series with a 6th on the way, split into two trilogies.

I got you the first three and figured I'd let you decide if you wanted to start the next trilogy if you liked the first.

So, bit of a weird situation. This might be part of my Secret Santa gifts, but I am not sure, there was no note in the package. There was also, no other packages, so I am hopeful there is more on the way.

CCB9694D-F849-4837-941F-1599AC3AAB7E.jpeg

If it is, thank you still mysterious benefactor! My friends and I love this game and all the various characters. I look forward to the rest!

So, bit of a weird situation. This might be part of my Secret Santa gifts, but I am not sure, there was no note in the package. There was also, no other packages, so I am hopeful there is more on the way.

View attachment 36351

If it is, thank you still mysterious benefactor! My friends and I love this game and all the various characters. I look forward to the rest!
Nevermind, this turns out to have been sent by a friend. Which is odd because he already sent me something, so I didn't think it was him.

So, I guess look at my unrelated, but still cool Christmas gift? :D

Dave

Staff member
So I have to ask, @jwhouk . Was my gift the masks? Because my wife ordered all of her Christmas stuff and it's all coming in now, and we've gotten things from many relatives. But nobody knows who this came from and I THINK it was probably you...I'll take pictures if it was.

Dave

Staff member
It's decent. I have nitpicks, but I won't go into them so Wahad can just enjoy them.

I got put on the list on Captain's orders. Something's on its way, but it took 14 hours to travel 88 miles today and still isn't in the right state yet. So it goes.

First package arrived today! Thanks Santa !
I literally found out this existed like a week ago and put it on my wishlist so... Awesome! Curious about the other two to come!

Like I said, something was coming. And it is here.
That's "Akudama Drive." Thanks, Secret Santa! :D

FedEx driver said there was supposed to be a second item but he only had the one?