[News] Science! Cure to all known genetic diseases may be realized in our lifetime

I suppose a lot of this is going to depend on how much we know about exactly which genes express what characteristic(s).
We already know which direction a lot of this research will go (at first).
It's boobs.
--Patrick

Chimeras on demand!

Want to change your skin color? It might take years and results might be patchy until complete, but we can do that!

I'm guessing it'll be harder than described, but it will be interesting to see where they go with it.

I am pretty jazzed about this, but I need to read the source papers before I get too excited. Besides human clinical trials are probably at least 10 years away.

it will be interesting to see where they go with it.
I'm betting that the garment/fashion industry will be heavily impacted.

Oh, I know what you're probably thinking, but I'm referring to what will be possible when dormant genes are reactivated. Hats will need holes to let the horns out, or pants might need a tail hole once people decide to let their coccyx roam free. Basically the whole body modification crowd will go nuts. Sure, there will still be limitations (no way to gain in height once your growth plates close up), and organs will still need to be grown outside the body (sorry, transplant and TG folks), but at least claims like "boosts your metabolism" and "lowers your serum cholesterol" may finally mean something.

--Patrick

I'm betting that the garment/fashion industry will be heavily impacted.

Oh, I know what you're probably thinking, but I'm referring to what will be possible when dormant genes are reactivated. Hats will need holes to let the horns out, or pants might need a tail hole once people decide to let their coccyx roam free. Basically the whole body modification crowd will go nuts. Sure, there will still be limitations (no way to gain in height once your growth plates close up), and organs will still need to be grown outside the body (sorry, transplant and TG folks), but at least claims like "boosts your metabolism" and "lowers your serum cholesterol" may finally mean something.

--Patrick

Studio lighting and makeup techniques, probably. Certainly earlier tv shows actors used it to define their eyes better due to poor lighting conditions. While lighting improved, typical makeup strategies were slow to change.

Zappit

Staff member
Chimeras on demand!

Want to change your skin color? It might take years and results might be patchy until complete, but we can do that!

I'm guessing it'll be harder than described, but it will be interesting to see where they go with it.
That could honestly be the absolute best thing ever to fuck with racists.

Judge: "Oh, you jumped that black man because he was black? Fair enough. I sentence you to live the next five years as a black man. Bailiff, please bring the prisoner to the gene therapy room. "

This part of the article is worth a skim:
Germline gene therapy on sperm, eggs or embryos to eliminate inherited diseases alters the DNA of all subsequent generations, but fears over its safety, and the prospect of so-called “designer babies”, has led to it being made illegal in Britain and many other countries.
Basically, until this legislation is overturned, in many countries (including Canada) we will never actually "cure" genetic diseases, only have "treatments" for them. I understand and sympathize with the idea of not having designer humans (I've seen and appreciate the movie Gattaca), but we need to allow some of it for the curing of genetic diseases such as Cystic Fibrosis, Sickle Cell Anemia, Hemophilia, many cancers that are caused by genetic factors, and many many others.

It gets fuzzier when talking about adding immunity to other things that aren't the "cause" of disease by themselves (HIV immunity for instance) but would be massively beneficial with no downside either. And then... ya. It can get very weird after that.

And we need to be careful/afraid of the bad things that can happen, but this is something that can be very very good for everybody.

This part of the article is worth a skim:

Basically, until this legislation is overturned, in many countries (including Canada) we will never actually "cure" genetic diseases, only have "treatments" for them. I understand and sympathize with the idea of not having designer humans (I've seen and appreciate the movie Gattaca), but we need to allow some of it for the curing of genetic diseases such as Cystic Fibrosis, Sickle Cell Anemia, Hemophilia, many cancers that are caused by genetic factors, and many many others.

It gets fuzzier when talking about adding immunity to other things that aren't the "cause" of disease by themselves (HIV immunity for instance) but would be massively beneficial with no downside either. And then... ya. It can get very weird after that.

And we need to be careful/afraid of the bad things that can happen, but this is something that can be very very good for everybody.
It really doesn't matter if it's outlawed in a few countries ether. If the rich want perfect children, they will simply fly to a country the allows gene therapy for that and get it done there. I assure you, we WILL have a race of super humans eventually and it will be defined by class division.

It really doesn't matter if it's outlawed in a few countries ether. If the rich want perfect children, they will simply fly to a country the allows gene therapy for that and get it done there. I assure you, we WILL have a race of super humans eventually and it will be defined by class division.
We don't know what the repercussions are for this sort of therapy. I suppose you could weaponize it in some way. That could catastrophic. Or none of it will work or it won't pass clinical trials and then it will be on to the next thing.

Bringing this thread back from the dead, b/c I totally did two CRISPR experiment and successfully engineered two cell lines and deleted non-coding mutations that affected the expression of nearby genes.

GasBandit

Staff member
Bringing this thread back from the dead, b/c I totally did two CRISPR experiment and successfully engineered two cell lines and deleted non-coding mutations that affected the expression of nearby genes.
... and that's how the zombie apocalypse starts, right?

For those who put the want it explained, if you really want to know: CRISPR is a method that some bacteria use to combat viral infections. It's sort of like how our bodies can remember viral particles from our vaccines to protect against infection. The bacteria that have this system will cut viral DNA (if they survive the infection) and add some of it to their genome. Making a sort of hybrid. This addition to their genome is a sort of a "FBI's Most Wanted List". Next time the same virus infects the bacterium, the viral DNA will be cut with a molecular switch-blade, and left to bleed out like a bitch and the viral DNA will be destroyed. That molecular switch-blade is called Cas9. If you provide Cas9 a small (20 nucleotide) segment of RNA (b/c transcription), it will search the genome until it finds a match, and then it will make a cut within that match. If you give Cas9 two RNAs (or a bunch), and it will make two cuts, and the DNA between the cuts can get degraded and the two cut ends will get glued back together (by the cell's machinery). This has now created a deletion in the genome. This deletion in the genome will now be passed down to the next generation of cells; unless the deletion is detrimental to the cell's health.

So, now to what I do. I look at mutations (natural mutations not cool Xmen ones) that are associated with disease. Specifically, I study mutations that are in non-coding regions (outside of genes, sort of). In the past, Science called this DNA "junk DNA" b/c they didn't know what it did. It turns out the non-coding part of the genome regulates the coding part. Meaning, the DNA around genes are responsible for turning the gene on and off.
These non-coding associated mutations might be associated with diabetes, but we don't know which gene they are turning on or off. We can guess b/c if the mutation is associated with diabetes, then we can look at the known biology of the closest genes to the mutation. That's just a guess. I deleted a couple of those mutations associated with high cholesterol and cardiac disease traits, and measured the gene expression of then nearby genes and found the ones that were affected by the deletion. It proved which genes are affected by the mutations and thus, gives a genetic molecular mechanism by which the mutations causes the association with the disease/trait.

Last edited:
Does this mean that a genetic disease in progress can be cured?
Some say yes, but there are detractors. Technically, it is possible. It has been done in animals through an injection! I know that China is working on this. Most Western scientists are concerned about 'designer' babies and/or Eugenics AND most importantly the unwanted side-effects of CRISPR.

Check out this article from Science (the premier science journal):
http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2016...fully-fix-sick-people-anytime-soon-here-s-why

The biggest drawback is delivery of the CRISPR machinery to all the cells.

I think there is a lot of hope. This could potentially solve HIV as well as genetic diseases and cancer. I think it's just a matter of time. It is such a powerful, cheap, and easy tool.

GasBandit

Staff member
I am excited about the possibility of CRISPRing sections of DNA at a time until a lizard becomes a T rex. I know that's far-fetched, but I'm sure someone is working on it.

Also, we might get CRISPR-related tv and movies ad naseum. http://www.sciencemag.org/news/sifter/jennifer-lopez-set-produce-nbc-bio-terror-drama-crispr
"Each episode of the new J Lo–produced show, slated to air on NBC, will investigate a criminal bio-attack based on the CRISPR gene-editing technique, from a genetic assassination attempt on the president to the framing of an unborn child for murder."

Wat.

the framing of an unborn child for murder
Well, I suppose that if you catch a zygote early enough in its process, you could theoretically edit ALL its cells at once, since there are still so few of them, and insert a sequence of your choosing, possibly even one that might appear at a murder scene.

--Patrick

Well, I suppose that if you catch a zygote early enough in its process, you could theoretically edit ALL its cells at once, since there are still so few of them, and insert a sequence of your choosing, possibly even one that might appear at a murder scene.

--Patrick
Just change the germ cells (sperm/egg) before in vitro. That way you only have two! In experiments with zebrafish and mice, they have used zygotes.

Just change the germ cells (sperm/egg) before in vitro. That way you only have two! In experiments with zebrafish and mice, they have used zygotes.
Well sure, changing gametes would be easier, but then it wouldn't technically be "an unborn child," it would still be at the "build-it-yourself unborn child kit some-assembly-required" stage.

--Patrick