[TV] S.H.I.E.L.D.

The premise behind dollhouse was very interesting, but the post-apocalyptic nature of the ending just left me disappointed.

Reminded me very much of La Femme Nikita (well, until the ending), which was fine, but I'm not sure where they could have taken the show without boring us anyway. They did the typical ethical questions, the bureaucratic junk, the emotional drama, the experiment-gone-wrong, the who-am-I-really, the recursive doll. I don't know that the universe had much more to say about the dolls and the dollhouse, but it was a very good show nonetheless.
There's the fact that these people were essentially raped over and over again. That was touched on, but the trauma of that wasn't as much as it could have been. As far as the ending goes, they had to rush to it given that they were given one season to wrap it up. I liked the idea that the technology could essentially be used to control the world.

Well... it's clear that Disney has a lot of faith in the show, because they dropped a pretty penny for the special effects. I really don't think it's going anywhere... unless Marvel movies stop making mad money anyway.

It was much better than I thought it would be.

However, I was fairly certain that it was going to be crap.

I'm glad I was wrong.

I hope the entire show doesn't become generic threat of the week thinly tied together by villainous organization made up for the show.
I find it hilarious you think there's a chance it won't play out exactly as you described.

Last edited:
If the threats of the week scrape the weird bottom barrel Marvel characters that will never be used in movies, cool. If the threats of the week are Jim Barnes, local guy who is Extremis powered! LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAME.

Well we have Joss Wheadon doing the show and he knows exactly what is going to be going into the next Avengers movie, as well as what is happening in all the movies between now and then. This means he's knows exactly what he should and shouldn't be developing and what won't be used. So I'd wager he'll find something good for the show.

I'm also betting that we're going to see a lot of high quality props in the TV show, if only because Disney will be able to reuse them for the movies. I'm sure that helps the budget.

But yeah... It's probably going to be these guys going up against AIM or HYDRA or something. I'm fine with that.

Just caught it on On-Demand.

Much approved, all around. Ron Glass as head Medico? Yes please! More Cobie Smulders? Fuck the hell yes. Coulson's Comeback (even if he might not be the original model)? I'll take that.

This one's going into the weekly viewing rotation.

I enjoyed it. Anybody else catch the references such as "tales to astonish"? I'm hoping they bring in some of the lower-tier heroes such as Speedball and Night Thrasher. Maybe they could have an episode set in Canada where they work with Alpha Flight.

I'm kind of disappointed that the guy from the previews wasn't Luke Cage, though :p
Who says?

Remember, they don't have to go with the same origins as the old comics. Pretty sure all we knew about Luke Cage before he became "Luke Cage" was that he was a thug named Carl Lucas. The origin as shown in the show was pretty close to the Luke Cage origin in the comics.

Comics: Lucas volunteers while in prison to undergo a variation of the super-soldier serum, with a doctor researching cell regeneration.

Show: Michael volunteers while on disability to undergo a variation of the super-soldier serum mixed with Extremis, with a doctor researching cell regeneration. (Project Centipede)

Near the end of the show he has "Sky" remove all records of his existence from the world, believing he was "no longer Michael" and wanting to start over. We watch as his son in dropped off with what seems to be a foster family after he is captured and his Extremis instability is neutralized.

Don't be surprised if next time we see him, he has lost all memories of his past life, decides to call himself "Luke Cage", and breaks out to have that new better life he dreamed about, by being a Hero for Hire.

At least, that's how I see it going.

At least, that's how I see it going.
Doubtful. Going by what they presented in the episode, I get the feeling the thing attached to his arm is the source of the power. So once it's removed, boom goes the power. I'd prefer Cage to have the powers without the arm bug. But then again, your explanation is solid enough. Maybe he keeps the powers after they remove it or something.

So I watched it tonight, myself. And it was...okay. It was good, just not out of the gate great as I'd expected. I thought there were a few too many cutsie nerd references. Most of them thankfully didn't feel too forced. The "great power..." line felt really forced that I just rolled my eyes.

Also, I didn't really think many of the characters were very interesting. The main spy guy they brought on board is dull as hell, for example. The hacker girl feels like your typical spunky nerdy character in every Whedon show. Fitz & Simmons' introduction felt a little forced with their back and forth bickering and a little too fast-talk for me (especially without subtitles). I think the episode as a whole had the problem of trying to introduce too many characters all at once on top of doing the story with Not Luke Cage.

And honestly, the story as a whole felt kind of ho-hum. Not horrible, just...okay. I honestly expected better. There's still enough to like that I'll tune in again next week, though.

Oh, and @Ravenpoe? That's the GLX (Great Lakes X-Men), not the GLA. :p

Doubtful. Going by what they presented in the episode, I get the feeling the thing attached to his arm is the source of the power. So once it's removed, boom goes the power. I'd prefer Cage to have the powers without the arm bug. But then again, your explanation is solid enough. Maybe he keeps the powers after they remove it or something.
The arm bug was slowly applying the powers by soaking a liquid into his body, but it never said it was the driver of them. Remember, it was made of reverse engineered byproducts of the super-serum, mixed with some gamma radiation and a nice helping of Extremis from IM3. Were any of those things "temporary"? (Pepper Potts does not count, we have no idea what Tony did to her to get rid of the Extremis.)

If removing the "centipede" removed the powers, then the "third option" Coulson so desperately wanted would have been removing the arm thing rather then putting Fitzsimmons on that mission to find a neutralizing agent to the Extremis. The two said the only way to stop him by that point was to kill him by containing him long enough to explode or kill him by putting a bullet through his head, removing the arm thing was not even put onto the table if it simple removed the powers.

The final speech, when Michael says how he wanted to be a hero, Coulson said something to the effect "We want you to be one too" before they shot him with the neutralizing agent (at least as far as I remember). If they knew removing the arm thing or using the agent would "remove" his powers, why say that? Why put his kid into some idealic foster care? There has to be more to it then that, and I am sure the character will come back for another round down the line having retained his super strength and implied indestructibility.

Zappit

Staff member
Nobody else sees the shadowy organization being a revival of HYDRA, SHIELD's long-standing enemy? Or AIM? Both of those groups have the resources and tech to pull it off.

Nobody else sees the shadowy organization being a revival of HYDRA, SHIELD's long-standing enemy? Or AIM? Both of those groups have the resources and tech to pull it off.
Pretty sure it will be AIM. It's even implied that they were the ones that provided the doctor with Extremis. Though I would love for it to be HYDRA.

Maybe they can redeem AIM from being as lame as it was in Iron Man 3, hopefully by making it as delightfully silly as it is the MCU.

Just watched it on Hulu.

It was a Whedon show alright, so take that how you want to.
I felt like there was very little Whedon in it, personally, even though he, his brother, and Maurissa Tancharoen were in fact the writers for it. It felt like a SyFy show that was given an actual budget. The tech-magic was off-putting for me and the characters, except Coulson and maybe Melinda May (Ming-NaWen), were little more than pretty faces. I wasn't wowed. I'll watch another one or two and see if it grabs me. Whedon likes a slow boil, which I can appreciate, but I don't want to keep thinking about Alphas when I'm watching this.

I thought it was fine. Best thing I ever saw? Oh Hell no. But go back and watch the first couple episodes of Buffy. It's...difficult.

I'm sure once it gets going it will be well worth the time.

I think that it will eventually pick up. Like I said earlier, I thought it was going to be a trainwreck and at least it wasn't that. Also, I think that people are starting to realize in general that you can't judge a TV show usually by its first couple of episodes.

Also, I think that people are starting to realize in general that you can't judge a TV show usually by its first couple of episodes.
MASH was almost cancelled after its first season.

Every show has some parts that don't work at first. The good ones, with good writers, improve and tweak it constantly. So I would say this particular show has potential... but they need to realize that potential if they are going to make it. As-is, the show has some issues that will keep it from being worthwhile without improvement.

True, the first few episodes of Big Bang Theory aren't particularly good. It took four or five episodes for the series to find its footing.

I really enjoyed it. This is definitely a show that needs time to develop, but it has potential and some really good people behind it. The ending was kind of cheesy, and felt very men in black, but I'm definitely looking forward to next week.

I think one of the issue with me for the start of a Whedon show is that his shows are always very ensemble-based, and it's impossible to get us to know everyone on a level we really start to care on the first episode.

We already know Coulson for the most part, so he is the familiar face, but now we got...

A loner, by the book agent with a troubled past and a chip on his shoulder. Does not work well with others.
An older agent who pulled herself out of the "business" only to be pulled back in. Deceptively skilled.
A hacker and former SHIELD enemy who turns to their side in the first half hour. Previously erased her existence for reasons unknown.
A duo of akward British brainaics who make all the crazy stuff the team uses, so close they are literally named together as Fitzsimmons.

That is a lot of people to get to know, and so the first episode was basically just telling us "Hey, these people exist, we will go more into their troubled pasts and dramatic arcs later."