Export thread

Russians Reported to have Doped at 2014 Olympics

Eriol

Eriol

This is from the Times: Russian Insider Says State-Run Doping Fueled Olympic Gold

So.. interesting. The state itself intercepting samples and replacing them with "clean" ones. Not a surprise, but the fallout (hopefully not literally) could be fascinating. I hope the whistleblower doesn't end up dead.

There's a number of "reaction" articles too. Here's one from Canada. I'm sure there's many others from other countries.

This is kinda political, but it's about sports, so in the sports forum it goes!

Edit: and after posting I find I made a punctuation error in the thread title. Doh! But I found out that with the "thread tools" dropdown you can fix it! Yay!

sixpackshaker

sixpackshaker

SHOCKED! I am shocked!

Ravenpoe

Ravenpoe

I'm sure this is surprising to all of... no one. We've known Russia to do this sort of stuff ever since Rocky IV

bhamv3

bhamv3

I wonder how long until the Russians go "Oh yeah? Well... you guys had Lance Armstrong! So there!"

strawman

strawman

The cloak and dagger aspects fascinate me. Secret rooms with holes in the wall, special government agents who can break into tamper evident bottles without leaving any evidence, etc, etc.

blotsfan

blotsfan

Is this a better place for me to get on my soapbox?

Let them all dope!

PatrThom

PatrThom

In b4 Kevin Nealon.

--Patrick

Zappit

Zappit

Secret tinkle rooms, people.

The Russians have secret tinkle rooms.

PatrThom

PatrThom

Secret tinkle rooms, people.

The Russians have secret tinkle rooms.
You make it sound like they have bead curtains leading to these rooms. Bead curtains made of dream chimes.

--Patrick

GasBandit

GasBandit

Seems appropriate to drag this one out from the dusty distant past...

Eriol

Eriol

Update: McLaren attacks IOC ‘spin’ on Russian doping report

From the article:
The report issued by McLaren on July 18 said Russia’s sports ministry was helped by the secret service to manipulate Russian samples at the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics and other major events in Russia.

The IOC decided against a blanket ban on Russia and IOC president Thomas Bach has said the report, while “serious,” contained “allegations” against the Russian government.

“I wouldn’t put anything in that report that I didn’t have evidence of and wouldn’t meet the criminal standard in any court around the world,” McLaren responded to the Guardian.
So... ya. I knew it was bad, but not to the degree.